• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDP Win 4 coming and it looks like a Vita

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
win4_06.jpg

win4_02.jpg

win4_07.jpg

The GPD Win 4 will have a 6 inch display, which is a little larger than the 5.5 inch screen on the previous-generation model. But the size hasn’t changed very much, so the GPD Win 3 docking station should be compatible with the Win 4, as the USB-C port on the bottom of the computer is still in the same spot.

That said, GPD has made a number of significant improvements:

• The new model has an AMD Ryzen 7 6800U processor with RDNA 2 graphics, which should bring a significant boost in CPU and GPU performance over the Intel Tiger Lake processor with Iris Xe graphics featured in the Win 3.
  • Analog sticks now have hall sensors. They’re also now adjustable: users can switch out parts for high-profile or low-profile joysticks.
  • The device is said to have a more ergonomic design with a rounder body and the right analog stick below the action buttons instead of above them.
  • The keyboard will have physical keys rather than the capacitive touch keys on the Win 3. This should make typing much more comfortable.
  • In addition to a fingerprint sensor on the left side of the device, there’s an optical trackpad on the right.

Looks clean as hell. Damn.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I thought the top image was a PS Vita, for comparison. Wow. That looks real slick.

Apocryphon

It looks sleek that's for sure. Performance will likely be very good but I'd expect battery life to be ass. Shame it isn't OLED given that it's likely to be expensive, and I don't really get the keyboard unless the screen isn't capacitive!? A 1080p screen would negate some of the performance advantages over devices like the Steam Deck but it's certainly an interesting time for both PC and handheld gaming! It's nice to have all of these options.

Tams

It looks sleek that's for sure. Performance will likely be very good but I'd expect battery life to be ass. Shame it isn't OLED given that it's likely to be expensive, and I don't really get the keyboard unless the screen isn't capacitive!? A 1080p screen would negate some of the performance advantages over devices like the Steam Deck but it's certainly an interesting time for both PC and handheld gaming! It's nice to have all of these options.

What a bizarre assumption to make. And just because you don't like or want a physical keyboard, doesn't mean others don't. I'm going to go out on limb here and say that GPD have a decent grasp of what their customers want, and that neither of us do.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

Never was a fan of handheld d-pads being at the bottom. Good for modern 3D stuff like FPS games yet not so much for old retro things like SNES or Gameboy games, but some may think otherwise.

Never was a fan of handheld d-pads being at the bottom. Good for modern 3D stuff like FPS games yet not so much for old retro things like SNES or Gameboy games, but some may think otherwise.
Agreed for handhelds like this that are usually bought for emulation purposes anyway.

Looked great until I saw the keyboard, not a fan of that stuff.
seems a bit odd. Who would write the next Song of Fire and Ice on such a tiny device. On anything small glide "typing" is imho the best option. And if you really need to type a ton and don't want to give up half the screen for an on board keyboard, a proper bluetooth keyboard should be tons better than this.

On first glance I rather see PSP design with the not so round corners than Vita.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Not a fan of how amd only give their top SKU chip good iGPU.

I wish there are 6/12 or 4/8 chip with this iGPU . Who tf need 8/16 core on a mobile device/ miniPC .

Last edited:

Apocryphon

What a bizarre assumption to make. And just because you don't like or want a physical keyboard, doesn't mean others don't. I'm going to go out on limb here and say that GPD have a decent grasp of what their customers want, and that neither of us do.
Maybe they continue to include keyboards due to the raft of issues they've had with touchscreen drivers in prior models 😂

There's certainly a market for these devices. Presumably many of the same people that still lament the death of RIM..

FStubbs

I don't get the complaints about the keyboard existing - it's going to run Windows games, right? I think it's a fair compromise given the form factor.

I wonder how powerful it will be.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-680m.c3871 would seem to put it close to Xbox Series S in graphics, but given the form factor, I doubt it'll go anywhere near the specs in that link. Will be interesting to see how it compares to Steamdeck.

Top Bottom