• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox talks Aliens: Colonial Marines on Wii U

Interfectum

Marty Chinn said:
What about like in Batman Arkham City if you used the controller to look at stuff on screen in detective mode? The big complaint of Arkham Assylum was you had detective mode on too much instead of enjoying the visuals on the screen. Something like this seems perfect for that game.

Now that is a cool idea for the system.

Codeblue

Sounds great. I'm hoping people get super creative with having a dual screen console.

Even if the screen was only used as a map/inventory thing it would make a world of difference for me. After the DS I always get annoyed when I have to stop the game to look at this stuff.

Orayn

dude said:
How is something that improves immersion significantly a gimmick...?
1. It's stupid.
2. It sucks.
3. I hate it.

That's about all you'll get from the "gimmick" shouting crowd.

remnant

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
When I play games, everything except my hands and my eyes go into "energy saving mode" so yeah, if I can avoid moving this beast of a controller anywhere, I'll choose that option. Looking down at a motion tracker, or using it to hack doors is fine with me, but moving it into my field of vision to look for stuff on the screen goes into that territory of motion controllers I don't enjoy.
I can understnad this argument for kinect, but my god holding a tablet is to much? Moving it for 5 seconds for every 30 mins of shooting is to much? Really?

thetrin said:
I just realized how AWESOME a futuristic detective game would be with this controller, sweeping across crime scenes to pick up clues.

Nintendo would never make you wear 3D glasses. But waving around a chunky piece of plastic in front of your face to look through a narrow view screen: now that's practical.

Green Scar said:
OK, I'm sorry, but I have no fucking clue who is and isn't being sarcastic nowadays
After the ending of The Conduit 2 they better make a fucking Conduit 3.
I need to see how much crazier it can get!!

remnant said:
I can understnad this argument for kinect, but my god holding a tablet is to much? Moving it for 5 seconds for every 30 mins of shooting is to much? Really?

I'm only arguing my point if this is shown to be a substantial part of the game. If it's "5 seconds every 30 minutes" I wouldn't mind, but let's be honest, that probably WON'T be the case cause that would be a complete waste of resources.

Since I'm apparently the only one who goes half comatose when playing games I understand the reactions to my comment.

I ain't even mad.

DieH@rd

Banned
Running trough the dark corridors at LV-426, low on ammo, squad mates screaming over the com, and i move WiiU controller with trembling hands searching for the radar movements.

WANT.

Corky said:
I can't wait until people like you are forced to do each motion 1:1.

It's totally valid if you want to argue that this function is gimmicky, unnecessary, etc. I think it sounds fun, but different strokes etc.

But to argue that it's literally too tiring to move the controller what must be a maximum of six inches in either direction every once in a while is just hilarious.

And yes, I've been lifting to prepare for the new Zelda game, thank you very much.

I wanted this as soon as I saw they announced Aliens for the Wii U. I'm glad they thought the same. Gonna be so awesome.

I'll probably end up picking this up over the PC version now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MatthewB92 said:

Space Lincoln and Space Washington better be main characters.

MatthewB92 said:

OK, this I can get behind. Lincoln on the TV, Washington on the controller!

J-Rock

Banned
stuminus3 said:
Passionately disagree. As an Aliens fan I can whole-heartedly say I've been wanting something like this for around 25 years now.

Same here. Imagine that pulsating sound coming of the controller speakers in a dark room.

motion_tracker.jpg

I doubt we'll be spinning around in the room or anything crazy. It's probably just going to be "look a little left and now look a little right sometimes".

tetrisgrammaton said:
Nintendo would never make you wear 3D glasses. But waving around a chunky piece of plastic in front of your face to look through a narrow view screen: now that's practical.

You're playing a 3D game with 3D glasses. For people other than you to see what you see, they need these glasses. On the other hand, you're playing a Wii U game that has you put the controller in front of the screen. EVERYONE can see what you see.

How is that in any way the same thing? Your analogy is flawed

guek

Banned
7064.jpg

This would be a pretty sweet way to play the game, but you'd have to always shoot from the hip so you don't block the tv :p

A great big question-mark-frown-face to the "I don't want to distract myself from the action!" crowd in this thread. Why would you need to consult the motion scanner if you are shooting something or somethings in front of you? Wouldn't the motion scanner only make sense when you CAN'T see anything (i.e. there is no action to be distracted from)? Do you even think before hating something?

guek said:
7064.jpg

This would be a pretty sweet way to play the game, but you'd have to always shoot from the hip so you don't block the tv :p

Ever played Silent Scope? In this instance, you'd just stop aiming at the telly, look at the telly, then aim at whatever you want and go back to looking at the 'scope'. It works.

J-Rock

Banned
Hudson: [reading a motion detector] I got signals. I got readings, in front and behind.
Frost: Where, man? I don't see shit.
Hicks: He's right. There's nothin' back here.
Hudson: Look, I'm telling ya, there's somethin' movin' and it ain't us! Tracker's off scale, man. They're all around us, man. Jesus!

Raide

^ Like it!

The Controller has speakers built into it right? Having the *Beep* come from the controller would also be pretty cool.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Vitet, replace controller with Wii Zapper with mounter controller (motion sensor on screen) and you have my vision.

BY2K

Membero Americo
J-Rock said:
Hudson: [reading a motion detector] I got signals. I got readings, in front and behind.
Frost: Where, man? I don't see shit.
Hicks: He's right. There's nothin' back here.
Hudson: Look, I'm telling ya, there's somethin' movin' and it ain't us! Tracker's off scale, man. They're all around us, man. Jesus!

Game over man, GAME OVER!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The "I hate gimmicks" crowd is starting to sound like a negative stereotype of gamers: pale dudes who sit locked in bedrooms, hunched over game pads with claw fingers, never moving for hours expect for the click of buttons. Empty haunted eyes lit by LCD... lol.

Seems anything that pulls them out of that trance is an irritating, intrusive "gimmick".

Is this a console only gamer generation sort of thing? I grew up in the arcades. I fucking liked standing on a steel plate with LA Machinegunners and swinging a real gatling gun around.

At least Aliens is a big enough cultural meme that a lot of people will stand up and tell the funhaters who are afraid of "looking dumb" or some shit to STFU.

Stuff like this with Wii U just sounds as if it's continuing to refine what the Wii experimented with.

Vinci

Danish
Kaijima said:
The "I hate gimmicks" crowd is starting to sound like a negative stereotype of gamers: pale dudes who sit locked in bedrooms, hunched over game pads with claw fingers, never moving for hours expect for the click of buttons. Empty haunted eyes lit by LCD... lol.

Seems anything that pulls them out of that trance is an irritating, intrusive "gimmick".

Is this a console only gamer generation sort of thing? I grew up in the arcades. I fucking liked standing on a steel plate with LA Machinegunners and swinging a real gatling gun around.

At least Aliens is a big enough cultural meme that a lot of people will stand up and tell the funhaters who are afraid of "looking dumb" or some shit to STFU.

Stuff like this with Wii U just sounds as if it's continuing to refine what the Wii experimented with.

Bingo. Well said.

J-Rock

Banned
Kotaku said:
The Wii U controller will also become a fully interactive map at times. In this mode, players will be able to play with a full map of the area much like we see Private William Hudson doing in the movie Aliens.

That's also pretty damn cool.

KrawlMan

Raide said:
^ Like it!

The Controller has speakers built into it right? Having the *Beep* come from the controller would also be pretty cool.

I was wondering this too. If it does have some I desperately hope they are a bump up from the Wii Remote's :p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
KrawlMan said:
I was wondering this too. If it does have some I desperately hope they are a bump up from the Wii Remote's :p
It has stereo speakers.

DieH@rd

Banned
Raide said:
^ Like it!

If you can play it without TV, then it must have some speakers.

GDGF

Soothsayer
plagiarize said:
remember how in Aliens, the motion scanner was a seperate thing that they carried around with them, and how it wasn't on a heads up display, and how they had to look down at it to read the information off of it?

that's why we think it's cool..

not because it's 'gimmicky'. not because it's more useful (it clearly isn't as useful as the same information on a HUD) but because it more faithfully recreates something from the films.

it's the ideal use of that second screen in an Aliens game.

and remember, you use the motion scanner *when you can't see the aliens infront of you*. if it's true to the films it won't help you for stuff behind you, so you are only going to be looking down when you get the 'bleep' for movement but there isn't anything on screen that you can see is causing that movement.

further more, in the 360/PS3 footage, the motion scanner is on screen obscuring part of your vision seemingly at all times.

let me see more of what's infront of me, and make the motion scanner function the same way it does in the films.

that people are calling it a negative... yeah. whatever... i don't think you want to play a game that faithfully recreates the experience of Aliens then, because this version of the motion scanner does just that.

Great post. I can't wait for this!

J-Rock

Banned
Kaijima said:

That's an interesting point. I ran around arcades playing all sorts of shit and was always openminded to trying out different control styles.

Vagabundo

J-Rock said:
Same here. Imagine that pulsating sound coming of the controller speakers in a dark room.

motion_tracker.jpg

I doubt we'll be spinning around in the room or anything crazy. It's probably just going to be "look a little left and now look a little right sometimes".

They'd better sell a limited edition shell that hooks the thing on to your belt.

Hudson: It's reading right man, look!
Hicks: Well, you're not reading *it* right!

Eradicate

Net_Wrecker said:
I'm only arguing my point if this is shown to be a substantial part of the game. If it's "5 seconds every 30 minutes" I wouldn't mind, but let's be honest, that probably WON'T be the case cause that would be a complete waste of resources.

Since I'm apparently the only one who goes half comatose when playing games I understand the reactions to my comment.

I ain't even mad.

In a way, I'm with you though. I play certain games to relax and all, and I kind of have to be in the mood to play some of the more intense experiences. I tend to play games to get absorbed into them, either to relax or "lose myself," like with a really good film.

But, some previews on the system's controller place its weight at around an Xbox 360 controller, if not a little less. So, I don't think weight will be a concern as much as movement. Even then, though, since it's gyroscopic and all, twisting your wrists or extending one hand a little further to face the controller somewhere is all it takes. Some of those motions you see with arms fully outstretched and turning at the waist to move around aren't really necessary.

Edit: I love the ideas you guys are having with how this will work out. I'd love to play any of them!

Marty Chinn said:
What about like in Batman Arkham City if you used the controller to look at stuff on screen in detective mode? The big complaint of Arkham Assylum was you had detective mode on too much instead of enjoying the visuals on the screen. Something like this seems perfect for that game.

Man, kinda related, but I just beat Wolverine's Revenge recently and I realized I was in that Ferrel Mode too much of the time to look for dogtags and where to go and wasn't looking at the world normally for alot of the game.

If games with these kinds of alt modes could use the controller screen for that, that would be very cool.

rpmurphy

Kaijima said:

Yep. A consequence of the sad fact that arcades are dying is that a lot of people forget or will never know some of the cool setups that arcades games had that added to the immersion factor. Everything outside of a theatre experience is judged as a pointless gimmick nowadays.

Kaijima said:

Is this a console only gamer generation sort of thing?
I grew up in the arcades. I fucking liked standing on a steel plate with LA Machinegunners and swinging a real gatling gun around.

I'd say it's a product of the increasingly sedentary lifestyle that most people live these days. The obesity rates are going up, people go out less thanks to digital socializing and technology is helping people do more things with less movement. It's no surprise that people are becoming irritated by the thought of actually moving a bit here and there.

Hell, the hate against good Wii remote setups which are not far from the lightguns of old is still palpable. It is what it is...

mr_nothin

Banned
stuminus3 said:
Sounds like the sort of thing I used to say in 2004 when I thought the DS was a silly idea.
Both DS screens are directly in your field of view. The controller and TV are not and in order to get them both in your field of view...you'd have to hold the controller up facing the tv. You'd still be hassled by DOF issues (not being able to focus on both at the same time since the depth of field is a lot more shallow) and having your hands/arms in an awkward position.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Kaijima said:

Yeap that sure as hell is one mighty fine stereotype you got there.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If they get this right then oh man. I can't wait to play this on my 120 inch projector screen in the pitch dark with the scanner in my hands. Dear God. It will be like being in the movie.

BrodiemanTTR said:
A great big question-mark-frown-face to the "I don't want to distract myself from the action!" crowd in this thread.

Why would you need to consult the motion scanner if you are shooting something or somethings in front of you?

Wouldn't the motion scanner only make sense when you CAN'T see anything (i.e. there is no action to be distracted from)?

Do you even think before hating something?

made me spit my coffee onto my monitor

Top Bottom