• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox talks Aliens: Colonial Marines on Wii U

MYE

Vitet said:
Quick mockup
Vr0K2.png

sooogood.gif

Kaijima said:
The "I hate gimmicks" crowd is starting to sound like a negative stereotype of gamers: pale dudes who sit locked in bedrooms, hunched over game pads with claw fingers, never moving for hours expect for the click of buttons. Empty haunted eyes lit by LCD... lol.

Seems anything that pulls them out of that trance is an irritating, intrusive "gimmick".

Is this a console only gamer generation sort of thing? I grew up in the arcades. I fucking liked standing on a steel plate with LA Machinegunners and swinging a real gatling gun around.

At least Aliens is a big enough cultural meme that a lot of people will stand up and tell the funhaters who are afraid of "looking dumb" or some shit to STFU.

Stuff like this with Wii U just sounds as if it's continuing to refine what the Wii experimented with.

Pigeonholing people just is fun, I guess.

I personally love that they're trying new things with the controller, but that doesn't mean that quite a few third-party developers won't fall into the gimmick trap. The controller has a ton of potential, and I'm sure Nintendo will make the best of it. As for third-party developers, I'm fairly sceptical. This actually sounds like a really good idea, but the implementation will be key here. I hope they make it work, because Nintendo has done a great job at having an incredibly flexible approach to controls.

GDGF

Soothsayer
cyberheater said:
If they get this right then oh man. I can't wait to play this on my 120 inch projector screen in the pitch dark with the scanner in my hands. Dear God. It will be like being in the movie.

120 inch screen? Damn dude. You're going to be living the movie with a setup like that.

J-Rock

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Both DS screens are directly in your field of view. The controller and TV are not and in order to get them both in your field of view...you'd have to hold the controller up facing the tv. You'd still be hassled by DOF issues (not being able to focus on both at the same time since the depth of field is a lot more shallow) and having your hands/arms in an awkward position.

Works fine with the concepts in this game. For other games, say, pressing on items(touch screen) would be no different then pressing a button without looking down. It'll get memorized. I rarely look at the bottom DS screen once I learn the placement. It all comes down to practical implimentation with each game. Some ideas work well for certain games, some don't.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Kaijima said:
The "I hate gimmicks" crowd is starting to sound like a negative stereotype of gamers: pale dudes who sit locked in bedrooms, hunched over game pads with claw fingers, never moving for hours expect for the click of buttons. Empty haunted eyes lit by LCD... lol.

Seems anything that pulls them out of that trance is an irritating, intrusive "gimmick".

Is this a console only gamer generation sort of thing? I grew up in the arcades. I fucking liked standing on a steel plate with LA Machinegunners and swinging a real gatling gun around.

At least Aliens is a big enough cultural meme that a lot of people will stand up and tell the funhaters who are afraid of "looking dumb" or some shit to STFU.

Stuff like this with Wii U just sounds as if it's continuing to refine what the Wii experimented with.

Aside from the fact this is of course, totally correct, the people calling this out as bad make even less sense when you realise that this is exactly what happens in the Aliens films

Everything goes dark, and the only things these marines have to use IS their motion scanners, which only work by sweeping them across their lines of sight. How is re-creating an iconic part of a film series imagery a bad thing?

Seriously some people give the impression that they're so attached to playing games "properly" that they've actually forgotten about arcade gaming, or more worryingly, will reject any decent thinking by devs that makes them have to do anything other than stare at their screen while sitting motionless with a controller. Using the "gimmick" card appears to be a catch all for rejecting these sorts of ideas, and I hope such attitudes doesn't discourage actual enhancements to gaming experiences as a whole.

Effect

mr_nothin said:
Both DS screens are directly in your field of view. The controller and TV are not and in order to get them both in your field of view...you'd have to hold the controller up facing the tv. You'd still be hassled by DOF issues (not being able to focus on both at the same time since the depth of field is a lot more shallow) and having your hands/arms in an awkward position.

Not being able to focus on both at the same time is kinda of the point. It adds to the experience. To quickly check both screens you have to use time management. You should still have the sound of the detector but you have to look to see the direction. Aliens should have that horror element to it and not being able to look at the screen 100% of the time adds to that.

Amir0x

Banned
Kaijima said:

The ideal is to have the best gameplay. Refinement is always preferrable to gimmicks because typically gimmicks are massively flawed experiments that exist for the sole purpose of entertaining the ADHD set, generally a crowd of game-hating extremists who enter only to tickle their dick for a few moments while moving on to the next ultra flawed gimmick.

These are developers whose ideal is not "good gameplay." It is to perform a host of circus parlor tricks for those who have the attention span of a gnat.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Amir0x said:
The ideal is to have the best gameplay. Refinement is always preferrable to gimmicks because typically gimmicks are massively flawed experiments that exist for the sole purpose of entertaining the ADHD set, generally a crowd of game-hating extremists who enter only to tickle their dick for a few moments while moving on to the next ultra flawed gimmick.

These are developers whose ideal is not "good gameplay." It is to perform a host of circus parlor tricks for those who have the attention span of a gnat.
Sorry, but that argument is utterly flawed, and I'm afraid, applies to someone who rejects such ideas, rather than those accepting them.

I say this again, how is faithfully recreating a system used in the Aliens film series in any way worse than having to fudge the effect by putting it on the main screen,effectively making your eyes a motion scanner? There's "good" gameplay, and there's people wanting to be as lazy as possible, and trying to accuse people who enjoy a sensory experience that isn't just limited to what's happening on a TV as having ADHD is flawed at best, and insulting at worst.

Let me ask you something, do you see no potential at all for the Wii U (And, intriguingly, the PS3 + PS Vita) as a way to enhance the overall gaming experience? I was thinking earlier that such a screen would be perfect for war games like MW3 and BF3. In the MW3 demo we seen a soldier access a laptop to control a rocket launcher used to destroy a helicopter. Something like this would be far more effective using the Wii U screen or PS Vita than dragging you completely away from the battle by utilizing the main screen only.

There's are multiple possibilities for this tech, and nearly all of them, as long as they;re done well, can work. I'm not sure about you, but last time I checked, I can focus on one thing while keeping others in mind. When I'm at work I work in front of a PC screen, yet somehow I'm not a zombie to the outside world, and I am able to react to colleagues and things happening outside of my field of focus. This utilizes the same principal, you focus on the TV, but use your subconscious to keep watch of the Wii U screen and if that demands your attention, you deal with it. If gamers reject the idea of having to think of more than one thing at once, god help them, frankly.

J-Rock

Banned
Stop It said:
Let me ask you something, do you see no potential at all for the Wii U (And, intriguingly, the PS3 + PS Vita) as a way to enhance the overall gaming experience?

He's wishing Nintendo would put the focus back on waggle for this new system instead of the new controller.

:p

ElFly

Trunchisholm said:
Pigeonholing people just is fun, I guess.

I personally love that they're trying new things with the controller, but that doesn't mean that quite a few third-party developers won't fall into the gimmick trap. The controller has a ton of potential, and I'm sure Nintendo will make the best of it. As for third-party developers, I'm fairly sceptical. This actually sounds like a really good idea, but the implementation will be key here. I hope they make it work, because Nintendo has done a great job at having an incredibly flexible approach to controls.

Oh we surely will get a lot of plain old maps on the controller, and a few gimmicky issues here and there, but this particular implementation sounds like a great idea.

EDarkness

Mr. Snrub said:
Isn't there an upright dock rumored for the Wii U? Why couldn't you just dock the Wii U upright in front of you as the motion tracker, and then use the Wiimote + Nunchuk for the game?

This is what I'm hoping they add in. I'm more likely to buy their game if there's IR. No IR, no buy.

RustyO

stuminus3 said:
Passionately disagree. As an Aliens fan I can whole-heartedly say I've been wanting something like this for around 25 years now.

x2

Don't want any aliens showing on my map. Motion tracker all the way.

Jangocube said:
Imagine the screen goes black, and all you have is your controller with the sensor on it going off. Man, that would have scared the crap out of me as a child.

And this, oh yeah this, been waiting for this for a looong time.

Linkified

Stop It said:
Sorry, but that argument is utterly flawed, and I'm afraid, applies to someone who rejects such ideas, rather than those accepting them.

I say this again, how is faithfully recreating a system used in the Aliens film series in any way worse than having to fudge the effect by putting it on the main screen,effectively making your eyes a motion scanner? There's "good" gameplay, and there's people wanting to be as lazy as possible, and trying to accuse people who enjoy a sensory experience that isn't just limited to what's happening on a TV as having ADHD is flawed at best, and insulting at worst.

Let me ask you something, do you see no potential at all for the Wii U (And, intriguingly, the PS3 + PS Vita) as a way to enhance the overall gaming experience? I was thinking earlier that such a screen would be perfect for war games like MW3 and BF3. In the MW3 demo we seen a soldier access a laptop to control a rocket launcher used to destroy a helicopter. Something like this would be far more effective using the Wii U screen or PS Vita than dragging you completely away from the battle by utilizing the main screen only.

There's are multiple possibilities for this tech, and nearly all of them, as long as they;re done well, can work. I'm not sure about you, but last time I checked, I can focus on one thing while keeping others in mind. When I'm at work I work in front of a PC screen, yet somehow I'm not a zombie to the outside world, and I am able to react to colleagues and things happening outside of my field of focus. This utilizes the same principal, you focus on the TV, but use your subconscious to keep watch of the Wii U screen and if that demands your attention, you deal with it. If gamers reject the idea of having to think of more than one thing at once, god help them, frankly.

Personally, its more of an accuracy, is it quicker and more accurate to use a keyboard and mouse or dual analogue controls over pointer controls?If they are why would I ever want to play a game with pointer controls. Same with if we go way back to a melee focused game is it quicker to hit a button/wave a remote/flail a limb to do an action. I want new experiences! Not existing genres or exisitng IPs with shoehoned WiiTab screen funky-ness. If Gearbox and other developers allow me to shit down play it using the WiiTab have all the UI on the screen, options for people to use the optional motion controls and optional screen controls. I'll be happy because I'll be able to enjoy the game and relax with it. Its all about choices.

Linkified said:
Personally, its more of an accuracy, is it quicker and more accurate to use a keyboard and mouse or dual analogue controls over pointer controls?If they are why would I ever want to play a game with pointer controls. Same with if we go way back to a melee focused game is it quicker to hit a button/wave a remote/flail a limb to do an action. I want new experiences! Not existing genres or exisitng IPs with shoehoned WiiTab screen funky-ness. If Gearbox and other developers allow me to shit down play it using the WiiTab have all the UI on the screen, options for people to use the optional motion controls and optional screen controls. I'll be happy because I'll be able to enjoy the game and relax with it. Its all about choices.

No

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
It will be day one or not once the pricing is revealed. Might as well get it on the 360. I might get the WiiU for exclusives though so I'm looking forward to that.

Hex

Banned
The motion sensor is great but.......
Can't there be a motion sensor in the lower corner of the screen doing the exact same thing (and on most tvs it will be the same size as the pad)?
Or it can easily be hit a trigger and it pops up in the corner and hit it again and it goes back to your side but you can still hear it beeping.

You do not have to have a pad for this and it is just as effective and more functional.

I think it will be fun but people are acting like it will bring something that no other version will have.

When I see it in action perhaps I will see it differently.

Hex said:
Can't there be a motion sensor in the lower corner of the screen doing the exact same thing (and on most tvs it will be the same size as the pad)?
Or it can easily be hit a trigger and it pops up in the corner and hit it again and it goes back to your side but you can still hear it beeping.

You do not have to have a pad for this and it is just as effective and more functional.

I think it will be fun but people are acting like it will bring something that no other version will have.

What's allowing you to aim that motion sensor independently of the gun and your movement like the pad is? You only have 2 sticks...

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Amir0x said:

This is true. Focusing on gameplay is ideal. Unfortunately, most developers are mainly focused more on more realistic graphics, cinematics and immersion, all of which have very little to do with player control and less on gameplay. At least using the Wii U tablet as a motion sensor actually affects gameplay and allows the player to INTERACT with the game's environment.

Mr. Snrub said:
Isn't there an upright dock rumored for the Wii U? Why couldn't you just dock the Wii U upright in front of you as the motion tracker, and then use the Wiimote + Nunchuk for the game?
Do want

Raide said:
It certainly sounds like a cool aspect of the game and I cannot wait to try it out. Sounds like it could add a nice extra aspect to the game. The sad thing is, by the time the Wii U comes out, most people would have already played the game to death on other consoles.

If they use the remote for some of the mini-games and hacking/programming turrets etc, that would also be really cool. It would help doing objectives and still keeping an eye out for enemies. :D

Although I would rank this game as my most anticipated game for the foreseeable future (Aliens is by far my favorite movie ever), I might actually wait until it comes out for WiiU, because it sounds like it could be quite a but cooler than the 360/PS3 versions.

Amir0x said:

this is not that. this is more faithfully recreating a famous scene from a film. this isn't aimed at ADHD game hating extremists.

this is aimed at fans of the movie Aliens, who want to play a game that as much as possible makes them feel like they're really in the film. this will make them feel more like they are in the film.

only someone ignorant of how the motion scanner works in the films (both as a device for building tension and as a fictional piece of equipment) would complain about it being represented in this fashion.

Uchip said:
flip the radar
the alien is on the right :p
it was just a quick mock up. only the marine by the doorway is moving. the other marine and the other alien are standing perfectly still.

problem solved ;) remember, it only detects movement, and it can't tell a hamster from a human from an alien.

Jangocube said:
Definitely.

Imagine the screen goes black, and all you have is your controller with the sensor on it going off. Man, that would have scared the crap out of me as a child.
You freaking genius.

Hex said:

There could be that and there will be that in other versions of the game, but it is missing the point of the motion scanner to a degree and furthermore isn't representative of the device in the film.

They could do lots of things that would be more effective than the motion scanner in terms of something that pin points the location of your enemies. They could mark them on the HUD whether you can see them or not or have a device that doesn't only show movement infront of you or have a device that only pinpoints aliens rather than any movement.

All those things would give the player better feedback on where the aliens were but it isn't what the motion scanner is meant to achieve.

The motion scanner is meant to make the game scarier while at the same time providing just enough useful information that you are glad to have it, even as it keeps giving you false positives and works to raise the tension as much as possible.

That is what it is for. Not a gameplay mechanic but a tension building one, and this would better realize that, while simultaneously staying truer to the source material.

Daigoro

plagiarize said:
this is not that. this is more faithfully recreating a famous scene from a film. this isn't aimed at ADHD game hating extremists.

this is aimed at fans of the movie Aliens, who want to play a game that as much as possible makes them feel like they're really in the film. this will make them feel more like they are in the film.

only someone ignorant of how the motion scanner works in the films (both as a device for building tension and as a fictional piece of equipment) would complain about it being represented in this fashion.

the hell does that even mean?

sounds like this is going to be the best thing since sliced bread then. no convincing you otherwise. you WILL be IN the movie!!!

yeesh. yeah no possible way this could turn out to be a gimmick. its obviously for true fans of Aliens only.

Daigoro said:
the hell does that even mean?

sounds like this is going to be the best thing since sliced bread then. no convincing you otherwise. you WILL be IN the movie!!!

yeesh. yeah no possible way this could turn out to be a gimmick. its obviously for true fans of Aliens only.
That is how amirox described people who would like this. You'd have to ask him what he meant by it.

I don't know if the game will be good or not. I don't know if the game will only appeal to people who like the film.

I can't talk about the quality of a game that isn't out yet, but I can factually state that what some people are claiming is just a gimmick us in fact something from the films being realized in a way more accurate to the films than it is on the other versions.

Why wouldn't fans of the film be excited by that? Who wouldn't want the weapons to perform as they do in the films? Who wouldn't want the aliens to act like they do in the films? Who wouldn't want the motion scanner to work like it does in the films?

This is a horror game. The motion scanner is meant to make it scary. This would do that and simultaneously better reflect the tech in the films. That is win win.

If you want a souped up motion detector that isn't like the one in the films and that isn't as scary then why would you want this game?

That confuses me.

gameplay is everything in a lot of games but not in a horror game where atmosphere is equally if not more important. This clearly increases the atmosphere. This is clearly true to the franchise so how is it a gimmick, let alone being JUST a gimmick?

Daigoro

ok. i must not have seen the comment of his that you were referring to. didnt make sense out of context.

im not saying it wont be well done, but people are kind of attacking folks who are suggesting that it might not turn out as great as it sounds. it is certainly within the realm of possibility that this could turn out to be just a gimmick. its also possible that it will turn out very cool and enhance the game.

the original article piece that was quoted did kind of make it sound like you would be swiveling in your seat trying to get a read on the tracker. the way i read it anyways.

it sounds great in theory, but in practice it could be superfluous. personally i hope it turns out great, but im not sold just yet.

(sorry if i jumped down your throat there.)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Leonsito said:
Pretty much, just wait till the same feature appears in Aliens for PS3-Vita.

Do you think it will though? For all we know one of the big 3 could bribe devs into excluding this sort of support because 'another' console can't do it at all. I am pretty sure a certain company did this a year or two ago with a game whose name escapes me.

Regardless, I'll be keeping my eye out for this title. I am really hoping it's a lot better than last years AvP that's for sure.

Vinci

Danish
It's odd how things have changed. Used to be Wii folks argued for 'gameplay over immersion,' or that 'gameplay equals immersion in some sense,' while those who hated the Wii said that the graphics and controls ruined immersion for them.

Now we have a system that is able to potentially enhance immersion by doing something that totally makes sense within the confines of the game, and yet people don't like it because it might not be as 'efficient' irrespective of the game's themes or environment.

This isn't really a criticism of anyone, to be honest - it's just a strange side-effect of what is happening.

FWIW: I love that the WU's controller screen is going to be the motion tracker. That is spectacularly great and should really add to the tension and horror of the game's theme.

Terrell

Sounds like developers already have a much better handle on how they can use this new controller than they did with the Wiimote. And we're all better off for it.

And Aliens fans laying the smackdown to "gimmick" trolls is EPIC. I see the opportunity to use this for great tension-building effect.

Top Bottom