• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Review Thread

DanielsM

Banned
I think the coverage has been a bit harsh with the Gears franchise. All the entries are clearly well above average. The production values alone put the series among the main video game franchises.

Good solid titles, lots of options and game modes - good value... probably my overall best series value. Very dated at this point though, imo, and also went into an action adventure direction after GoW1 instead of dark semi-horror shooter, which might be good to some, but not the people that dig the first one or two.

Tygeezy

Fuck is it really 4k 60fps on X? Looks great on a standard Xbox 30fps. That's some serious magic if true.
I think a lot of it is actually rendered at 1440 p using dynamic resolution with 4k upscale. Consoles don't have the gpu horsepower to do 4k at 60 fps with this graphic fidelity. Not a lot of GPU on the pc space can either.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I got to give M$ a standing ovation for the win, it's fans should take a BIG bite out of this AAA, GOTY contender.

Yoboman

Seems good but man MS have gone a whole generation without a game really breaking into that GOTY conversation haven’t they

They’ve still got a lot of work to do

VertigoOA

Banned
Like anyone gives a shit about scores. It’s free. Try for yourselves and fuck reviewer clowns.

Halo 5 was trash but I’m interested to see what the gears cover band can do because they’re clearly more talented than Shit4three.

Gamespass ftw

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Like anyone gives a shit about scores. It’s free. Try for yourselves and fuck reviewer clowns.

Halo 5 was trash but I’m interested to see what the gears cover band can do because they’re clearly more talented than Shit4three.

Gamespass ftw

Built Game Pass Tough TM

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Its Native 4K 60 fps with dynamic scaling.

Will have to wait for analysis to see how dynamic it actually is.

It then apparently uses temporal reconstruction if the res drops from 4k.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Days Gone has a 72 and is my tied for second favorite this gen and ever. I think the people happy with Gears of War 3 or 4 will like this, everyone else not so much. I actually liked GoWJ campaign much more than GoW3, although I could understand the complaints as well.

Review scores are pretty meaningless, I just think there is enough video in the wild... its basically GoW3 and 4, not saying that is good or bad.

Yeah I really enjoyed Days Gone plus The Order. I forgot about those.

LostDonkey

I'm sure Digital Foundry will do a video in the next week or so, and explain it all.

Im interested to hear more about the implementation of ray traced shadows without the need for ray tracing hardware.

OG Xbox One supports these shadows as well but to what extent I cant wait to find out.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I think the coverage has been a bit harsh with the Gears franchise. All the entries are clearly well above average. The production values alone put the series among the main video game franchises.

Nope thought Gears 4 was ass. Let's not start this narrative. Days Gone is going to hold its score down and Gears tht scored better will also. I mean it was the same narrative for trash Crackdown 3.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Gears 94
Gears 2 93
Gears 3 91

It used to shine and not just another mid 80 game.
Gears 5 looks to be receiving the same scores than Gears 4... that is good but not outdistancing like the first 3 games.

And I thought Gears 4 was honestly meh.

CyberPanda

Banned
Im interested to hear more about the implementation of ray traced shadows without the need for ray tracing hardware.

OG Xbox One supports these shadows as well but to what extent I cant wait to find out.
Yea, I don't know how they did that. I'm sure it's a modified solution, like the dynamic scaling. But, it should be a good video overall.

Journey

Banned
Is 3/5 = 60% and not 80%?

I get what he's saying though, you can't translate the perception of what a 3 out of 5 means vs 1 to 100.

When someone gives a game a 4 out of 5 for example because there's no 0.5 scale, it's basically like giving it a 90% and up, not 80% in my opinion, that's why these scales are just stupid, forget the score and just read the review :p

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Really looking forward to playing this (have to wait till Saturday :confused: )

Nice to see good reviews anyway :)

AnotherOne

Umm I just want to say that I could care less what some journalist thinks about a game, some of the best reviewed games did nothing for me and vise versa
I played every gears game that's been out and enjoyed every single one so I already know I'll enjoy gears 5.

Too many people hung up on the Mc score like who cares? Do you make a bonus if a certain game hits over 85?

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
85 is a solid score but xbox bros were hyping this up to be Xboxs God of war or game of the year and its clearly not that. Microsoft themselves even tried to play this up with the snowy setting trailers and going on about hows its going to change the series, trying to somehow tie it to God of war. This game will probably be the x1's last hurrah in terms of major exclusives and i doubt it will move the needle at all in terms of pitching itself to new potential customers. In terms of sales i woulnt be surprised if its the lowest selling gears what with it being on games pass and the females lead character decision, which is quite frankly bizarre given the testosterone fueled characters of a better time. The box art in the store for the would be consumer is also not doing it any favors with how atrocious the box art is, the main characters portrait looks like James Charles.
Um, bruh.... Could you be any more salty or misinformed? Jfc.

Its actually at 86 now. There's many a more reviews yet to hit. Spiderman is one point above Gears 5 where it sits now, and that game did remarkably well. This Gears looks to be the hit the platform and series needed. Go sit down somewhere. Gat DAMN you salty, bro!

CyberPanda

Banned

Its actually at 86 now. There's many a more reviews yet to hit. Spiderman is one point above Gears 5 where it sits now, and that game did remarkably well. This Gears looks to be the hit the platform and series needed. Go sit down somewhere. Gat DAMN you salty, bro!
Don't feed the trolls please. It's best to ignore them, and enjoy Gears 5 :)

Z..

As someone who thouroughly enjoyed GoW 1 and 2 but lost interest halfway through and sold 3 for lack of innovation... is 4 a game I should be playing or skipping straight to 5?

Justin9mm

No we don't that is the last reason i use my X.
I just want the best gfx on console multiplats without the hassle of pc
I'm the same, I have Pro and the X, I want best performance and why I have the X, Xbox is still failing as some multiplat games are still not running better when they should be. I've always been Sony, will buy PS5 and hold on to my X. I can't see the next Xbox and Sony console being much different performance wise.

Justin9mm

As someone who thouroughly enjoyed GoW 1 and 2 but lost interest halfway through and sold 3 for lack of innovation... is 4 a game I should be playing or skipping straight to 5?
I'd skip to 5, fatigue will set in before finishing and you will have no ambition to jump straight to 5. 4 is mediocre with updated visuals.

Reactions: Z..

Justin9mm

It's still not going have a major impact for consoles because a lot more people worldwide own a PS4.. You can't compare to Spiderman because their is a higher consumer base to buy that game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's still not going have a major impact for consoles because a lot more people worldwide own a PS4.. You can't compare to Spiderman because their is a higher consumer base to buy that game.
Who cares. More people buy Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber albums than most other artists.

If user base is so important for gaming, let's see you go up against PC gamers with good rigs who have Steam numbers of 500 million.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Christ, dude! Who TF cares if it moves anymore consoles this late in the game? And with next gen consoles edging closer every day? Gears 5 isnt about trying to move consoles (though Im sure Microsoft doesnt mind of it does...) its about plugging more people into Gamepass and setting the tone for next gen.

And frankly, I can bring up Spiderman because Im talking about the ratings for both games, not how many consoles are sold! Ratings mean fuck all to me at the end of the day but, Gears is ramping up to be a huge blockbuster for the franchise and strokes the fires for next gen when Scarlett arrives and XGS is running like a well oiled machine. The fact that its rating pretty high even though alot of reviewers haven't chimed in yet, is a good indication for those who may want to play. That's where GP comes in.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Its Native 4K 60 fps with dynamic scaling.

Will have to wait for analysis to see how dynamic it actually is.

It then apparently uses temporal reconstruction if the res drops from 4k.

Dynamic isn't native. Games in the past tried to pass off same bs and more than 60% of the time didn't hit 4K so tht native remark means shit. Ppl hop on Sony when thy say a game is 4K but is dynamic or reconstruction so let's not try to pass this off as native 4K till we see what DF says.

Last edited:

Otterz4Life

About what I expected. I loved Gears 4 and I’m sure this is great, too.

The series is too old to have such high scores anymore, simply due to familiarity. It never has had a strong, focused narrative as it’s mainly about the action and shooting.

Gamespot...lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dynamic isn't native. Games in the past tried to pass off same bs and more than 60% of the time didn't hit 4K so tht native remark means shit. Ppl hop on Sony when thy say a game is 4K but is dynamic or reconstruction do let's not try to pass this off asnatuve 4K till we see what DF says.
That's because more X games reach native 4k than Pro. And X also plays UHD movies. Pro doesn't even though Sony plugged Pro as a "4k box" from day one.

Gamernyc78

Banned
That's because more X games reach native 4k than Pro. And X also plays UHD movies. Pro doesn't even though Sony plugged Pro as a "4k box" from day one.

Bro what does tht have to do with what I said? A game being dynamic and not native more often than not means it isn't native, point blank. Idc about all tht as some dynamic 4k exclusives on Sony are actually the graphical benchmark on consoles so thts neither here nor there. I'll wait to see what DF says as I'll be playing on my S. By the way there's been threads about this there are 4K native games on pro just like there are dynamic res games on X X is just more powerful so of course it has more native.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
"Fuck is it really 4k 60fps on X? Looks great on a standard Xbox 30fps. That's some serious magic if true."

This is not going to be 4k native 60fps on XBONEX, unless this is an Aaron Greenberg throwback......

I got to give M$ a standing ovation for the win, it's fans should take a BIG bite out of this AAA, GOTY contender.
There are a tonne of games to come out this year, even Iceborne is scoring better atm...….There are many more review outlets that will affect the current Meta, like Giant Bomb, Edge etc etc.. etc....I'm also realizing that many of the top scores for the game are from XBOX-centric sites...…...

Pallas

Gold Member
Nice reviews, it looks promising and worth a play.

Welcome back! CyberPanda CyberPanda

I don’t think that really matters, if people don’t have an Xbox One to play it, then they can try it on PC, assuming they have the right hardware.

"Fuck is it really 4k 60fps on X? Looks great on a standard Xbox 30fps. That's some serious magic if true."

This is not going to be 4k native 60fps on XBONEX, unless this is an Aaron Greenberg throwback......

There are a tonne of games to come out this year, even Iceborne is scoring better atm...….There are many more review outlets that will affect the current Meta, like Giant Bomb, Edge etc etc.. etc....I'm also realizing that many of the top scores for the game are from XBOX-centric sites...…...

Are you trying to say there’s some tinfoil hat agenda/conspiracy to give this game higher scores than it deserves? Stop beating around the push and just say it.

Also, if you look at Spider-man’s metacritic score, you’ll see several PlayStation-centric sites reviewing it favorably.

mFsv0ZT.gif

thelastword

Banned
Also, if you look at Spider-man’s metacritic score, you’ll see several PlayStation-centric sites reviewing it favorably.
Look at the top 20 reviews, the highest reviews for either game.....

Spiderman
: PSX Extreme: 95%

Gears 5
: SomosXBOX= 100%, Generacion XBOX = 98%, Mondo XBOX = 95%, XBOX Achievements = 90%, then number 21 is Windows Central = 90%

Otterz4Life

Spiderman

Gears 5
: SomosXBOX= 100%, Generacion XBOX = 98%, Mondo XBOX = 95%, XBOX Achievements = 90%, then number 21 is Windows Central = 90%
Perhaps they legitimately like the game?

All exclusive games benefit from brand centric fan sites. Sony, Nintendo and Xbox all have fan sites whose reviews count toward the aggregate.

Pallas

Gold Member

Spiderman

Gears 5

PSX Extreme - 95%
PlayStation Universe - 95%
LaPS4 - 90%
Playstation Official Magazine UK -90%
PlayStation LifeStyle - 90%

I’m not trying to argue who has more,I'm arguing about your silly attempt to downplay the good reviews it’s getting. Both of those games deserve those scores.

Like hey, Xbox has an exclusive that’s reviewing well and it’s not a racing game. That has to be some sort of glitch or conspiracy! I might honestly take your opinion more seriously if you weren’t a Sony shill.

Justin9mm

Who cares. More people buy Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber albums than most other artists.

If user base is so important for gaming, let's see you go up against PC gamers with good rigs who have Steam numbers of 500 million.
I don't care and I'm also a PC Gamer.. I only said what I said because of the comparison of Spiderman being mentioned and doing well.. Why would the comment refer to Spiderman if not for A. Sales and B. Console Exclusive? You obviously didn't understand what I was responding to.

Not even sure what point you are trying to make here. I don't even disagree with what you just said.

Justin9mm

Nice reviews, it looks promising and worth a play.

Welcome back! CyberPanda CyberPanda

I don’t think that really matters, if people don’t have an Xbox One to play it, then they can try it on PC, assuming they have the right hardware.

Are you trying to say there’s some tinfoil hat agenda/conspiracy to give this game higher scores than it deserves? Stop beating around the push and just say it.

mFsv0ZT.gif
I was only referring to consoles only as far as success,

Pallas

Gold Member
I was only referring to consoles only as far as success,

Gotcha but it’s still a valid point, seeing as I always hear “No point in getting an Xbox since I can play it on PC” comment a lot.

It probably won’t be breaking any sales record, though. Mainly thanks to Gamepass, this game is going to get download a ton I bet.

Justin9mm

Christ, dude! Who TF cares if it moves anymore consoles this late in the game? And with next gen consoles edging closer every day? Gears 5 isnt about trying to move consoles (though Im sure Microsoft doesnt mind of it does...) its about plugging more people into Gamepass and setting the tone for next gen.

And frankly, I can bring up Spiderman because Im talking about the ratings for both games, not how many consoles are sold! Ratings mean fuck all to me at the end of the day but, Gears is ramping up to be a huge blockbuster for the franchise and strokes the fires for next gen when Scarlett arrives and XGS is running like a well oiled machine. The fact that its rating pretty high even though alot of reviewers haven't chimed in yet, is a good indication for those who may want to play. That's where GP comes in.
You didn't understand my comment.. I wasn't even talking about moving consoles at all. I'm not even arguing about Gears being a huge blockbuster. I own an Xbox one X, I was just stating that Spiderman will be more successful because it has a higher consumer base and I mentioned the word console originally because I was trying to say that I'm only talking about console players and not PC.

Top Bottom