• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

JB1981

FlyinJ said:
I am on the Hotel side. Should I be shooting from behind the sandbags on the balcony? It seems I have to stay on the balcony where I find them...

Should I just be pointing my aiming reticule right on the guy to hit him?
Such an annoying sequence. If you miss the bastard, you have to start all over again.

just finished the game (got it at xmas) and it was pretty awesome. not to start a bitch fest but this is the game that resistance 2 should have been. great follow up to a great original game.

i think the graphics are the best i have ever seen on a console all things considered. the shadows look kinda shitty in spots, but overall i was pretty impressed with the graphics.

one thing i missed about the game was the fight with those gigantic running monsters from part 1 (the one who could only be defeated with the hammer of dawn), that was an intense boss fight and scared the shit out of me when you heard him running at you.

the boss fights were easy but i chose to play on normal so that is what i expect. i'm sure if i played on hard or expert they would have been more challenging.

i liked the variety of environments as well. i think if you combined gears 1 and 2 into 1 game you would have a game that stacks up to my favorite 3rd person shooter ever, resident evil 4.

p.s. i wonder what will happen in gears 3. watched the credits to the end and
adam fenix's "broadcast"
makes it sound like shits gon get real in gears 3!

Thrakier

It just came to my mind that the story in part 1 and part 2 are exactly the same. I thought about that...and yeah, it's ike doing the same stuff again with the same results.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
If the boys at Epic are reading this, I hope that when bitch-ass hosts, especially clans who are hosts that get their asses handed to them and quit, doesn't affect me and my friend's rank when we're on the other team - because that's been happening a lot lately against some sorry-playing clans...

dfyb

Banned
btw, what the fuck is up with near the end with dom
killing maria
?!
she seemed weak and out of it, but was there something i missed? was she infected or something? was she a danger to other humans? i thought what happened was twisted. like 'what the fuck was epic thinking' twisted. it's like as if the americans, upon finding the nazi concentration camps, simply killed off the surviving jews.
this is the first time, upon playing a legitimately published video game (so excluding indie crap flash games etc), where i've been appalled by the messages the game sends to their audience.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
dfyb said:
btw, what the fuck is up near the end with dom
killing maria
?!
she seemed weak and out of it, but was there something i missed? was she infected or something? was she a danger to other humans? i thought what happened was twisted. like 'what the fuck was epic thinking' twisted. it's like as if the americans, upon finding the nazi concentration camps, simply killed off the surviving jews.
this is the first time, upon playing a legitimately published video game (so excluding indie crap flash games etc), where i've been appalled by the messages the game sends to their audience.
Umm, did you see her? She was fucked both mentally and physically. A cabbage, if you will.

dfyb

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
Probably
she was fucked up beyond any repair and they had no way to get her back so it was best to finish the suffering right there
cjelly said:
Umm, did you see her? She was fucked both mentally and physically. A cabbage, if you will.
i'm sure Dom's medical credentials helped him come to that conclusion...

there's still a significant difference between someone just rescued from extremely harsh conditions and someone who took a grenade and is guaranteed to bleed to death or whatever. she wasn't screaming in pain or anything. that was fucked up. is my concentration camp survivor comparison not valid (as in, she's a danger to other humans etc)?

dfyb

Banned
Hellraizer said:
I think
Tai's reaction after probably less locust jail-time than Maria
was enough.
thai was most likely heavily tortured -- i didn't see evidence of that being the case with maria. i don't remember seeing whip marks etc on maria.

and on a different note -- i never finished gears 1. was the lambent a part of that game?
it wasn't really explained in gears 2 (to my knowledge)... do we know the source?

thai was most likely heavily tortured -- i didn't see evidence of that being the case with maria. i don't remember seeing whip marks etc on maria.
Yeah can't remember any either but she also had more clothes on...

dfyb said:
and on a different note -- i never finished gears 1. was the lambent a part of that game?
it wasn't really explained in gears 2 (to my knowledge)... do we know the source?
No and no.

Kibbles said:
Umm, yeah there were lambent wretches in the first Gears.
Damn totally forgot about them. You're right. Lambent were part of the first in a way, but I dont believe they already had in mind what they did in the second game.
Making the lambent a third party that the locust fight against.

bumpkin

heh, man... I was playing the game online last night and I finally started to understand the disgust people are having with the vacuum effect of the chainsaw. This one team I played against had this basic tactic of coming out of cover when you got close with the chainsaw brandished; if I had a dollar for every time I got sliced to pieces, I'd be a very rich man... It was bad enough that at the end, one of the guys on the other team had the nerve to say "good game, guys" and I couldn't bite me tongue. I'm like, "yeah, way to abuse a broken mechanic." He didn't respond.

After that I decided I'd just try to piss people off and work on the "A parting gift" achievement. I'd grab frags or inks, equip them and then rush my opponents. Nine times out of ten they'd play right into my tactic and down me; that's when I'd trigger the 'nade. I got the achievement in about 20 mins, and I probably pissed a lot of people off.

...of course I've also recently became the thing I hate; a two-piecer. Now whenever someone gets in close quarters, I'm using it. I feel guilty about it, sure, but I can't put a price on racking up something like 7 or 8 kills by myself as the other team continually rushes me while I two-piece and dodge like a mad-man. :lol

dfyb said:
She did have a lobotomy from the looks of it. I remember there being stitches around her head.

draven

Damn you guys for bumping the thread. I was hoping against hope that the patch was actually out.

Eh, I wonder if Left 4 Dead is on sale...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
bumpkin said:
heh, man... I was playing the game online last night and I finally started to understand the disgust people are having with the vacuum effect of the chainsaw. This one team I played against had this basic tactic of coming out of cover when you got close with the chainsaw brandished; if I had a dollar for every time I got sliced to pieces, I'd be a very rich man... It was bad enough that at the end, one of the guys on the other team had the nerve to say "good game, guys" and I couldn't bite me tongue. I'm like, "yeah, way to abuse a broken mechanic." He didn't respond.

After that I decided I'd just try to piss people off and work on the "A parting gift" achievement. I'd grab frags or inks, equip them and then rush my opponents. Nine times out of ten they'd play right into my tactic and down me; that's when I'd trigger the 'nade. I got the achievement in about 20 mins, and I probably pissed a lot of people off.

...of course I've also recently became the thing I hate; a two-piecer. Now whenever someone gets in close quarters, I'm using it. I feel guilty about it, sure, but I can't put a price on racking up something like 7 or 8 kills by myself as the other team continually rushes me while I two-piece and dodge like a mad-man. :lol

Hey, anytime I see someone with a chainsaw take off running around a corner, and I go after them and I see their foot or their shadow sticking out, you better believe that I'm coming around that corner for you swinging my Hammerburst or shottie, then finishing you off with lead - there's no shame in that whatsoever since they think that they'll get away with trying to get you with a tactic like that... :lol

MicVlaD said:
She did have a lobotomy from the looks of it. I remember there being stitches around her head.

Yup,
definitely a lobotomy as the scar went around her head, you could clearly see that since most if not all of her hair was gone... there was no recognition or sense of anything in her eyes so I thought it was pretty clear that she was just a vegetable, beyond any saving...

bumpkin

Skilotonn said:
Hey, anytime I see someone with a chainsaw take off running around a corner, and I go after them and I see their foot or their shadow sticking out, you better believe that I'm coming around that corner for you swinging my Hammerburst or shottie, then finishing you off with lead - there's no shame in that whatsoever since they think that they'll get away with trying to get you with a tactic like that... :lol
Almost *all* of his kills were chainsaw kills, and it wasn't just him hiding and gutting someone when they tried to flank him. It was running straight at the person and it basically ignoring any shots and sucking the person into his saw blades. It's retarded. If you don't think that an attack that literally negates any attack if the other player is less than 10 feet away is dumb and broken, then that's your prerogative. It pisses me off anyway.

dfyb said:
btw, what the fuck is up with near the end with dom
killing maria
?!
She was probably lobotomised.

Kolgar

Booted up Gears 2 for the first time in a month... No update!

I laughed and asked my friend, "Do you think this is Cliff Blezinski's way of giving us the finger?"

The we played. Felt great to Gear up again. Until...

TWICE in a multiplayer game on the avalanche map, an AI combatant got hung up next to some railing overlooking the center of the map. He simply couldn't move, and instead just jiggered about, rotating a bit in place to fire at whomever he could see.

I was like, "Should this be happening in 2009 on such a high-profile game as Gears 2?"

But it gets better. I was playing online with one other person at the time. Finally at the end of the match my friend says, "Look at him jitter. Oh, well, at least he finally bent down." And I had time to not only hear this, but think in my head, "Wait, what? I didn't see him bend--" before he actually did kneel on my screen.

Can you say, laaaagy? NICE NETCODE, EPIC!

We later turned the game off, maybe for good, when we tried to resume a co-op campaign and I died three times, instantaneously, after the game glitched and jiggered and I sunk a clip and a half into a regular old Locust while that rat-bastard took me down with four bullets.

The friend I was playing with only lives about 40 miles away from me, by the way, and we both have pretty decent Internet connections.

This game... GAH.

I was playing a guardian match last night and the leader on the enemy side was stunned by my stun grenade but when I went over to shoot and kill him he suddenly flew high up into the air. At that point none of us could get to him and eventually our leader died and we lost the match.

This patch can't come soon enough.

I played as host today, for the first time in my life in Gears 2. And, um, yeah...I really felt ashamed when I splattered every single person who came close with the shotty...out of the hip...with one shot...every single time.

I immediately closed the lobby and someone else opened a new one.

zaidr

Black_Ice said:
Been playing Gears 1 in the last two days.

A lot more fun.

Where the fuck is the patch.

I was thinking about going back to Gears 1 for a while too. I tried it once before after Gears 2 came out, and didn't enjoy it much. Same old problems.

Why haven't Epic included the ability to search for non-ranked matches? Its so fucked. I don't give a shit about ranking, really. I just wanna play the game. Playing ranked, its like Epic doesn't want me to play the game. I finish a match, and I get kicked out of the room. WTF? I have to sit through match making all over again. What a load of shit. Epic: "Oh, you probably don't still wanna be playing this game" *kicked from room*

Just copy COD4's matchmaking rules. How hard can it be?

DiddyBop

why dont you whiny bitches just trade in the game? im having tons of fun every night with the game. the only thing that pisses me off are quitters,but thats not the game's fault.

DiddyBop said:
why dont you whiny bitches just trade in the game? im having tons of fun every night with the game. the only thing that pisses me off are quitters,but thats not the game's fault.

i didnt know cliffy b had a gaf account.

unless you're a two piecing glitcher yourself or youve played less than an hour, not sure how anyone can defend this game's multiplayer right now considering how broken it is.

bimet

Xbox.com showing new multiplayer achievements. Could it be?!
Edit:
Skeletons in your Closet
Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Flashback Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty)

More Mystery, Less History
Win a multiplayer match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman)

Bound by a Shared Past
Win a Wingman match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps

Trial by, and on, Fire
Survive first 10 Horde waves on Combustible Map Pack maps as a team

The Roof! The Roof! The Roof…
Win a multiplayer match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman)

Forged in the Fire
Win a Wingman match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps

Annex: Now With Execution Rules
Win an Annex match on each Flashback and Combustible Map Pack map (public matches only)

draven

DiddyBop said:

I'd buy four copies of the game if the multiplayer worked right...

whitehawk

Banned
bimet said:
Xbox.com showing new multiplayer achievements. Could it be?!
Edit:
Skeletons in your Closet
Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Flashback Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty)

More Mystery, Less History
Win a multiplayer match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman)

Bound by a Shared Past
Win a Wingman match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps

Trial by, and on, Fire
Survive first 10 Horde waves on Combustible Map Pack maps as a team

The Roof! The Roof! The Roof…
Win a multiplayer match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman)

Forged in the Fire
Win a Wingman match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps

Annex: Now With Execution Rules
Win an Annex match on each Flashback and Combustible Map Pack map (public matches only)
Shiiiiit.

Don't like the exection style annex though. Execution is pointless if you cant get up in 5 seconds.

oh wow, just checked xbox.com, they actually are up. That means the patch should be up today or tomorrow.

bumpkin

CliffyB said:
*Very* soon.
Eeeexxxxxcceeeellleeennnt.

100276794_548c83c4eb.jpg

dfyb

Banned
cjelly said:
What's that got to do with it?

"Oh, no, some people I will never meet in my life think this game is good *sadface*"
cjelly
will gladly bend over and grab ankles for Microsoft

you'd think reviews would, i don't know, be a review of the product that people buy. not "well this is what it might be... if it worked... over 2 months after release... hopefully"

but the "why do you even care?" posts are always :lol because they are inherently hypocritical.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
DiddyBop said:

Damn straight.

To the point where I share your exact same complaint as you - the bitch-ass quitters...

Even if it isn't in this patch Cliff, please make sure that migrating host is added soon (when the host quits, someone else becomes host) because nothing is more irritating than destroying a team when you're not even the host and then they quit because they suck...

Other than that, Gears 2 is still a nightly ritual, hell, we're playing right now! :D

CliffyB said:
*Very* soon.

Awesome...

Zezboob

Skilotonn said:
Even if it isn't in this patch Cliff, please make sure that migrating host is added soon (when the host quits, someone else becomes host) because nothing is more irritating than destroying a team when you're not even the host and then they quit because they suck...
No.

If you're not happy just trade in the game.

Oh wait...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Zezboob said:
No.

If you're not happy just trade in the game.

Oh wait...

Ummm, that has nothing to do with the game, that has to do with the pussies that quit - don't try to play smart now...

Zezboob

Skilotonn said:
Ummm, that has nothing to do with the game, that has to do with the pussies that quit - don't try to play smart now...
Ok sorry, I misunderstood.

It's like glitches, it has nothing to do with the game, but with dicks who uses it. Or lag, nothing with the game either, it's me that is stupid for not living in US or having a fiber connection.

But I still don't get why you are asking something to CliffyB that has nothing to do with the game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So will the bolded part ever get cleared up? Is Mark talking about another title update for Gears 2 or something else?

So there’s a brief status report on the next title update. At some point I expect we’ll post a more detailed list but I assure you we’re working hard to get this out the door and once it’s done we’ll start working on the next update. We’ll try to do a better job keeping you informed of our progress on future updates and we’ll try to be a little more active in the forums once this update is released.

goldenpp72

Zezboob said:

It's like glitches, it has nothing to do with the game, but with dicks who uses it. Or lag, nothing with the game either, it's me that is stupid for not living in US or having a fiber connection.

But I still don't get why you are asking something to CliffyB that has nothing to do with the game.

It has to do with the game because every other game has host migration and gears does not.

dfyb said:

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realise that people were sliding weapons, hiding outside of maps, using standby, two-piecing and boom shield glitching when the review event was going on..
The day Gears 2 came out I gave it a 9.5/10 too. Now? More like a 4.5. Nice PR spin though.

Zezboob said:

Dreamcast games ran better online than Gears 2. It's CliffyB's fault that the game is easily exploitable and that the netcode is garbage.

Top Bottom