• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Chinner

Banned
* An issue where bots were unable to kick over a shield that was planted backward
How are we supposedto survive horde now
emot-argh.gif
?

Anyway, I'm quite satisified with the changes. Good to see they've changed the grenade spawning system so the amount of tagged grenades should drop quite dramatically. However, smoke grenades still need some balancing but its definantly a good start.

2real4tv

Chinner said:
How are we supposedto survive horde now
emot-argh.gif
?

Anyway, I'm quite satisified with the changes. Good to see they've changed the grenade spawning system so the amount of tagged grenades should drop quite dramatically. However, smoke grenades still need some balancing but its definantly a good start.

Aw that sucks anyway nice update looks like most of my concerns were addressed:D

smik

No Region filter equals fail, but this....

* Removed the ability to instantly shoot coming out of a roadie run.

just played it the TU & now the shotgun is serverly nerfed, who comes up with these complaints for this shit to change like this.

the game has become even more slower due to this, and this was the only thing that was becoming really effective.

Fuck you EPIC seriously 3.0!

Petrie

Banned
smik said:
the game has become even more slower due to this, and this was the only thing that was becoming really effective.

Fuck you EPIC seriously 3.0!

Gears is kinda supposed to be a slower paced game, "stop and pop", not "run and gun", at least that's been my impression. Aren't there 100's of games you could play instead if you want a quicker run in and see who can pull the trigger on the shotgun faster experience?

Feint331

quick question re patch. 360 is on loan to brother.

1 - is finding matches faster?
2 - is region matching better now?
3 - none of the above, sell game.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
An issue where a player would continue to fire the flamethrower and damage other players if that player was knocked DBNO while firing it.

Just noticed this one. Nice. This is what made me especially terrified of flamethrower wielding dudes. After evading the fire, you pop them with a few shot gun blasts. Nice. You go up to them to finish them off but then you find yourself on the ground next to them as they magically scorch you from the DBNO position :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno if it was more that I hate it more or what, but it seemed like I would ALWAYS get the fucked shotgun. That's on a 15Mbit Down 1Mbit Up connection from the Netherlands.

Interested to see how the game plays now. ready for games when I get home.

EDIT: Mods Could we get a title change to include 'Patch is out' or similar so the Gaffers that quit in disgust will know to retry? :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Awesome Epic! :D

I just laughed at the news that backwards shields can be kicked down by the A.I. now - :lol

I have a friend who swears by that, and encourages the rest of us to do it although I never did - can't wait to tell him the news! :lol

Also I love the news that the Flamethrower has stopping power and can stop a chainsaw as well now too - it's perfect now - I never used to use it as much as I wanted to for this very reason... thanks!

And of course all of the other fixes too - good stuff Epic! All people needed was some damn patience...

Dosia

Adding a delay to the shotty while running? I just tried it and how fucking stupid is that? I am going to give this game one more shot on thursday night, and if my experience sucks I am done with this shit.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Skilotonn said:
Awesome Epic! :D

I just laughed at the news that backwards shields can be kicked down by the A.I. now - :lol

I have a friend who swears by that, and encourages the rest of us to do it although I never did - can't wait to tell him the news! :lol

How is that a good thing?? Like I said in the other thread putting shields in backwards actually made shitty maps doable, it's all going to be about Day One, Security, and River (which it already was before the update).

Baker

Banned
Wow, that change list was about three times as long as I was expecting. Frickin' awesome.

I'm with you guys, though. I had no idea the backwards shield thing was actually a glitch. I thought it was just physics and a pretty damn big necessity on Hard/Insane Horde. :lol

Zezboob

Dosia said:
Adding a delay to the shotty while running? I just tried it and how fucking stupid is that? I am going to give this game one more shot on thursday night, and if my experience sucks I am done with this shit.
If you're complaining about that, then you're doing it wrong. Run -> two piece.

Yeah, that sucks, not surprising from Epic

According to posts by Epic staff on the Epic forums, the region filter is coming out in Title Update 3.

I'll start playing this game again when TU3 comes out.

whitehawk

Banned
DubloSeven said:
According to posts by Epic staff on the Epic forums, the region filter is coming out in Title Update 3.

I'll start playing this game again when TU3 comes out.
Awesome, but that's still gonna be like another 3 months or so.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Gig said:
How is that a good thing?? Like I said in the other thread putting shields in backwards actually made shitty maps doable, it's all going to be about Day One, Security, and River (which it already was before the update).

Come on - that was abusing an exploit.

All you need is proper teamwork - me and my friends beat all 50 waves of Horde on Hardcore, plus loads of other waves helping others long before one of them found out about planting the shield backwards, and the reason why he loved that so much anyways was so that he could beat waves alone...

Even he didn't take the news badly as he's not a cheap player...

And that is excellent news that Epic is officially doing a regional search - they listen like they've always have, so cut the repetition of the whining guys...

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Skilotonn said:
Come on - that was abusing an exploit.

All you need is proper teamwork

There's very little of that in public Horde matches

And that is excellent news that Epic is officially doing a regional search - they listen like they've always have, so cut the repetition of the whining guys...

Hey, it's great that they trying to fix MP, but Horde needs a whole lot of work too.

props to epic for detailing the next update right as they are rolling out the first. almost every issue raised has either been fixed or is being addressed as we speak. they seem pretty intent on making gears 2 into the best game it can be despite such a rough start. the server-side weapon updating sounds like an especially big step forward.

just have to add that firing from the hip is magical. it makes shotgun duels (and two-piecing :D) feel much more fluid.

we should get some GAF games going tonight. horde or mp works.

RSTEIN

Wow, Epic totally did a 360 on us. Really awesome stuff. I hope the ongoing changes to weapons/gameplay is clearly communicated to the community.

I also saw Cliff's interview on G4. He seemed genuinely embarrassed about the fact that the game was released the way it was. More importantly, he vowed to keep improving the experience.

Anyways, kudos Epic. The game is SO much better. The shotgun feels so damn good. I'm not sure why people are having connection issues all of a sudden but I haven't experienced any long waits since TU2.

Any word on the chainsaw stoppage? Do they flinch correctly now when shot while revving? That was a huge gripe I had.

Glad to see the shotgun stuff is addressed (hopefully) Ok, Epic! This better feel a whole helluva lot more like Gears 1 now!!! I'm cautiously optimistic! :lol

Snowden

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Quit whining about whining. Its just as annoying.

First day the patch came out I had a lot of laggy games, but tonight was much better. I played about 8ish games and only had a laggy game once.

Having a lot of fun so far, and I am excited to play it again.

kuYuri

Anyone doing Horde tonight? I wanna go for the Flashback maps achievement for Horde. Let me know, gamertag is Strider2K99.

Falagard

NubCakes09 said:
First day the patch came out I had a lot of laggy games, but tonight was much better. I played about 8ish games and only had a laggy game once.

Having a lot of fun so far, and I am excited to play it again.

Halo has a feature where it tracks who is a good host and who is a bad host. It does this by attempting to make someone a host, then recording latency to that host. After a few games, it can tell if you aren't a good host, and will tend not to make you a host in the future.

After title updates for Halo, this information is reset - so everyone tends to have laggy games for a few days and then things stabalize and it figures out who the good hosts are again. Bungie usually lets everyone know about this after a title update.

I don't know if Gears has this functionality, but it's possible and could explain an influx of poor quality games after the update.

-PXG-

So is this motherfucker actually playable now or what? Me, 'duf and I guess the rest of Gears guys have been holding out for quite some time.

Aladuf

Banned
-PXG- said:
So is this motherfucker actually playable now or what? Me, 'duf and I guess the rest of Gears guys have been holding out for quite some time.
Silly, banned PXG, for some reason according to someone I "retired from gaming" when I sold my Xbox because of "glitches in Gears 2 MP" or something along those lines.

RSTEIN

Falagard said:
That would put them back where they started. Maybe you mean a 180?
:lol Maybe I do. OR MAYBE I DON'T LIVE IN WORLD OF EUCLIDEAN GEOMETRY AND BELIEVE IN A FRACTAL UNIVERSE?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Gig said:
There's very little of that in public Horde matches

Hey, it's great that they trying to fix MP, but Horde needs a whole lot of work too.

Well, that's always a risk with randoms - you should add yourself to the GAF Gears 2 Gamertag in the Online Forums then - there should be plenty of people there to get you through Horde man...

But this is the first I've hear that Horde needs "a lot" of work to do - like what?

Evonus said:
Quit whining about whining. Its just as annoying.

Please, it got to the point a few hundred posts ago that some of you guys would bitch about the same thing more than once on the same page - me posting to stop the repetition comes nowhere near those numbers, especially when Epic had long said that they are reading every forum they could and were working on fixes...

And haha@RSTEIN with the "Epic making a 360" comment - looks like I was beaten to commenting on it though... :lol

Seriously though, your comment sounds like the game was no good, and they just added a bunch of weapons and new gameplay or something - all they did was fix what was broken - for example, they fixed the blindfire for the shotgun, sure, but damage-wise it's still the same, and it always worked for me aside when fools were standbying, or had a bad host...

RSTEIN

Skilotonn said:
And haha@RSTEIN with the "Epic making a 360" comment - looks like I was beaten to commenting on it though... :lol

Seriously though, your comment sounds like the game was no good, and they just added a bunch of weapons and new gameplay or something - all they did was fix what was broken - for example, they fixed the blindfire for the shotgun, sure, but damage-wise it's still the same, and it always worked for me aside when fools were standbying, or had a bad host...

Ok, to clarify. Gears = fuck awesome again.

Someone made the comment earlier (I think it was Full Recovery) that most of his deaths weren't "his fault." In other words, a big percentage of deaths occurred because of the broken shotgun or having to face an invincible host. I felt this way too (although Full Recovery is a much, much better player than I am so a lot of my deaths were actually my fault due to playing like shit :D). But anyways. I feel like I'm in control again. My shotgun does what I expect it to do. I feel like when I die it's because I got myself in a bad strategic location or the other player is genuinely better than I am.

Playing yesterday was a big revelation. You can easily tell who the players are that have come to expect to play as host. They roadie run you with the shotgun knowing that your blindfire or even zoomed in shotty won't stop them. They shoot you out of roadie run or just pop up and 2 piece you. Not anymore. I can't tell you how many guys I killed with a hip shot. They would roadie up to me and BAM I'd turn them into giblets.

I think that's why I encountered a lot of quitters yesterday, too. The 3 bar guys that rely on these tactics know they don't work anymore and OH NOES! they actually have to play with some skill. Once they realize this they quit.

NameIess

Agreed...
The overall balancing feels better, but they still need to fix the game launching with uneven teams. It gets really annoying to be matched in a room with only 3 team members vs 5 it's just an up hill battle from the start. I have to admit it's kind of rewarding when you win those types of games, but this really should not happen. Also, the number of people who quit matches early is still really high and makes me doubt there's any type of rank penalty.

RSTEIN

NameIess said:
Agreed...
The overall balancing feels better, but they still need to fix the game launching with uneven teams. It gets really annoying to be matched in a room with only 3 team members vs 5 it's just an up hill battle from the start.

Yeah, that's still the last major hurdle in my opinion, more so than a region filter (I'm in NA, but if I was in Europe I may feel differently). You should be able to join empty slots in ongoing games. Or, a bot should join that's matched with the truskill of the players in the room. Hell, even if the game pauses for 30 seconds to load the new player/bot in it's worth it.

Obviously, people are still quitting and they just don't care. So, in a situation like this, the only alternative is to bring new people in to ongoing games. Before starting the matchmaking process, I could have the option to choose to search for ongoing games or choose to join a pre game lobby and start a new game (i.e. Quick Join or Custom Search).

I don't know if their whole netcode is set up to handle this sort of thing so it may be impossible to patch.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
damn horde mode is so great, however, it's impossible with less than 5 people ot get anywhere and you are guaranteed at least one quitter within 5 rounds in a public match.

Not allowing joining at any level in horde mode REALLY is a bad design oversight that should be fixed with a patch. I'll never get horde finished, because I don't have 5 friends that play together at the same time EVER.

RSTEIN said:
Yeah, that's still the last major hurdle in my opinion, more so than a region filter (I'm in NA, but if I was in Europe I absolutely would feel differently).

^ Seriously, the lag is really bad. I was skipping back uh.... metres while roadie running the othernight. Forget jumping barriers, just running was giving me trouble. Lucky the invisible chainsaw fairy was around to put me out of my misery.

Dosia

I gave up on this shit yesterday. We tried playing, but half the matches were laggy and they still take too long to get into. The game breaker for me is not being able to talk shit to the other team anymore. This game is boring.

Top Bottom