• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

h3ro

Dang, I also posted earlier about getting the Flashback horde achievement... arg...

IIVertigoII, I'm gonna shoot you a friend invite, in case you are on later when I'm playing MP...

REV 09

cjelly said:
Are the new achievements glitched?

I haven't done them yet, but I've noticed the 'Get to Wave 10 on a Flashback map' achievement, goes up to 50 in the War Journal. There's another one which has 10 or something, but goes up to 30.
you have to beat waves 1-10 on each of the 5 flashbacks maps. Same for each of the 3 combustible maps. I did most of them alone on casual...waves 8-10 were kinda tough by myself, but it was still fun.

h3ro

REV 09 said:
you have to beat waves 1-10 on each of the 5 flashbacks maps. Same for each of the 3 combustible maps. I did most of them alone on casual...waves 8-10 were kinda tough by myself, but it was still fun.

Hmm, I think I'm gonna give it a shot this way... :D

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
h3ro said:
Dang, I also posted earlier about getting the Flashback horde achievement... arg...

IIVertigoII, I'm gonna shoot you a friend invite, in case you are on later when I'm playing MP...

Alright man, and I need to get the flashback horde achievements as well.

bumpkin

J. M. Romeo said:
Yaaaaaay! Got the Horde wave 50 achievement at last! Thanks, gaffers!
I've still yet to get the achievement for beating Horde. :(

The closest I've gotten was to wave 30 with three random teammates (someone quit) the other night. It was a heartbreaker when we lost, too... We had been holed up in the cabin with two shields blocking the door on River for most of the game, only leaving between waves to replenish ammo/nades. When we finally lost, someone had decided to remove one of the shields on the door mid-wave; basically we got fucking swarmed by bloodmounts and that was the end.

Sometime I want to give it a whirl w/ some of my GAF brethren. I have faith that the achievement can, well, be achieved!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
anyone know if the next patch will include allowing to join in public games horde while it's running?!

I play public only as I don't have any euro friends that play the game and I want to go to 50 on horde. It's simply impossible to do public because somebody always quits. that shit happens around level 20 sometimes. makes it fuggin impossible.

bimet

Gaffers need to stop playing with randoms when it isn't necessary. It's a major fucking headache, pain in the ass and a disgrace to my sanity. Those of you playing with randoms, go through the Gears threads in the online forum instead and add those gamertags. I almost lost my mind after playing a couple of hours of matchmaking yesterday so I’m down for shooting some bots whenever you see me online. :D

Those of you wanting to finish horde, there’s myself and many others who are willing to help. Send those friend requests! My GT is the same as my username.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
_dementia said:
I want Berserkers, goddamn

Well the problem with Berserkers is they are impervious to gunfire unless they have been struck by a Hammer of Dawn.

So either every map need a Hammer of Dawn (which would make Berserkers impossible for all the indoor maps) or Berserkers would have to be retooled so gunfire, grenades, etc. damage them.

Also having Berserkers and Maulers in Horde seems kind of redundant.

Teknoman

bimet said:
Gaffers need to stop playing with randoms when it isn't necessary. It's a major fucking headache, pain in the ass and a disgrace to my sanity. Those of you playing with randoms, go through the Gears threads in the online forum instead and add those gamertags. I almost lost my mind after playing a couple of hours of matchmaking yesterday so I’m down for shooting some bots whenever you see me online. :D

Those of you wanting to finish horde, there’s myself and many others who are willing to help. Send those friend requests! My GT is the same as my username.

I still need to finish horde as well as bumpkin.

EDIT: I want horde exclusive map pack.

Gig

RSTEIN said:
Honestly, I was out there just to piss you off.

Well, it worked.

Every time one guy goes down, another one goes out there to revive him and then that guy goes down and just turns into one big clusterf**k.

Mohonky

This game is definitely running better but I think I'm going to shelve it again till a region filter is added, it's still to laggy. Some weapons are ok like the Lancer and pistols but the shotgun is a complete waste of time, melee's you really have to be in first by a large margin and high precision weapons like the Longshot or Torque Bow are a joke. Even hitting anything with the boomshot requires you to predict where the enemy could be moving and aim ahead.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Mohonky said:
Even hitting anything with the boomshot requires you to predict where the enemy could be moving and aim ahead.

WTH...are you saying you wanted guided shooting? :D

Agree though that gears needs a region filter.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Gig said:
Well, it worked.

Every time one guy goes down, another one goes out there to revive him and then that guy goes down and just turns into one big clusterf**k.

We still made it to wave 50 :D

JB1981

Question for you guys who know more about this stuff than I do, but is there a good reason why Gears has such bad latency compared to most other peer-based multiplayer shooters? Is it something about the gameplay that it makes it easier to make out or is the network code just that bad? I really don't get it. I made a joke about it the other day, but GTA 4 has better fucking netcode than this game. GTA 4.

Gig

RSTEIN said:
We still made it to wave 50 :D

And we only beat it because everyone stayed inside the house.

I'll on Live for probably the rest of the night, so if anyone wants to play some Horde, I'm game.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
JB1981 said:
Question for you guys who know more about this stuff than I do, but is there a good reason why Gears has such bad latency compared to most other peer-based multiplayer shooters? Is it something about the gameplay that it makes it easier to make out or is the network code just that bad? I really don't get it. I made a joke about it the other day, but GTA 4 has better fucking netcode than this game. GTA 4.

You're 100% right and at this point we just don't know. Obviously there are problems with the basic netcode but as to why the problems exist it's really only speculation. I personally think there must be something hidden below the surface, so to speak, that we don't know about. Considering they've had 3 years to iron out the lag and glitches, and it hasn't been fully fixed to this day, something is up. Maybe the code is at such a state that the whole game would fall apart if they wanted to fix it. Hell if I know. I'm no programmer.

I was playing some CoD5 the other day and it's just mind blowing. Way bigger maps plus more people. Takes 10 seconds to get into a game. No lag at all. When the host does quit, everyone is thrown back in the lobby and the game starts up again in 15 seconds. Plus, people come and go as they please. Why the hell this can't be done in Gears is anyone's guess.

Mohonky

RSTEIN said:
You're 100% right and at this point we just don't know. Obviously there are problems with the basic netcode but as to why the problems exist it's really only speculation. I personally think there must be something hidden below the surface, so to speak, that we don't know about. Considering they've had 3 years to iron out the lag and glitches, and it hasn't been fully fixed to this day, something is up. Maybe the code is at such a state that the whole game would fall apart if they wanted to fix it. Hell if I know. I'm no programmer.

I was playing some CoD5 the other day and it's just mind blowing. Way bigger maps plus more people. Takes 10 seconds to get into a game. No lag at all. When the host does quit, everyone is thrown back in the lobby and the game starts up again in 15 seconds. Plus, people come and go as they please. Why the hell this can't be done in Gears is anyone's guess.

It's just the fact the game seems focussed on Skill Matching other than region. Normally games group all players from the same region, Gears seems to throw in anyone from any region so long as they are in the same sort of skill bracket. I've been in games where there have been Americans, Europeans and myself (Australia). Naturally, only one of us can get host and whom ever that happens to be, will mean lag for those of other continents.

Skill matching or True Skill or whatever they want to call it is fine but region should be priority number one. Masking lag does fuck all, Epic have done things to try and balance out the situation during extreme latency but at the end of the day it'll just never be as good or accurate as a room full of players from the same region.

Again, the option to Region Filter should be MANDATORY.

whitehawk

Banned
Mohonky said:
It's just the fact the game seems focussed on Skill Matching other than region. Normally games group all players from the same region, Gears seems to throw in anyone from any region so long as they are in the same sort of skill bracket. I've been in games where there have been Americans, Europeans and myself (Australia). Naturally, only one of us can get host and whom ever that happens to be, will mean lag for those of other continents.

Skill matching or True Skill or whatever they want to call it is fine but region should be priority number one. Masking lag does fuck all, Epic have done things to try and balance out the situation during extreme latency but at the end of the day it'll just never be as good or accurate as a room full of players from the same region.

Again, the option to Region Filter should be MANDATORY.
Although I must admit, it's pretty fun being host and destroying everyone :lol :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting back into gears again via the campaign.

It's pretty great! Insane is a really good difficulty after playing horde alot. There is some shitty sections (F U NEMACYST SECTION on tip of the spear, 2 and you are dead) but otherwise it's really solid.

THink I'll beat it insane solo and then try again insane co-op to get those achievements.

Still very very interested in getting to level 50 horde via private matches starting at something higher than level 10.

Any euros want some lag free horde gaming then add me

armedcatfish

^live GT

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yo guys, I got this for Christmas and really haven't touched it much. Is anyone up for some late-night gaming? I'd like to go through Campaign mode with someone else.

XBL GT: Dacvak
AIM: Shigeru Miyamoto

Only problems I am running into now are lag (in some games) and the fact it can take a while to find a game. Otherwise, I am having a ton of fun playing Gears Multiplayer.

Amir0x

Banned
catfish said:
I'm getting back into gears again via the campaign.

It's pretty great! Insane is a really good difficulty after playing horde alot. There is some shitty sections (F U NEMACYST SECTION on tip of the spear, 2 and you are dead) but otherwise it's really solid.

THink I'll beat it insane solo and then try again insane co-op to get those achievements.

Still very very interested in getting to level 50 horde via private matches starting at something higher than level 10.

Any euros want some lag free horde gaming then add me

armedcatfish

^live GT

when you try insane co-op, give me a message over Xbox Live 360.

Gamertag: Amitr0n

Mohonky

whitehawk said:
Although I must admit, it's pretty fun being host and destroying everyone :lol :lol

You can usually tell who has Host just by that factor alone. I've shot guys 4 times only to have them turn around and shoot me once and suddenly my corpse is sprawled across the map. Or when you get a solid 3 or 4 shots in them and they don't even go down.

Brakara

Gig said:
Many, many things.

Sometimes Locust can pick themselves up without any help (and they do it very fucking quickly).

After wave ten, the amount of DBNO instead of actual kills on Locust gets really excessive.

When a Locust is being revived by a Kantus, it can sometimes levitate around the battlefield to avoid being hit.

Kantus have a tendency to spam the poison ink grenades (there numerous times when my team and I had to constantly move for several minutes to avoid ink grenades)

The Kantus scream attack is way overpowered, it has a range of 15-20 feet (maybe more), can sometimes hit you even if your're behind cover, and can be used immediately after throwing an ink grenade and firing it's Gorgon Pistol.

Also as a little bonus, Kantus can not be chainsawed during the duration of their scream attack (you could be standing right behind while it's screaming ready to chainsaw it and you still wouldn't be able to do it).

Locust can sometimes teleport anywhere on the battlefield (really annoying on Blood Drive).

Locust can spawn very close to you and your teammates, like 15-20 feet (once again very annoying on Blood Drive).

Shields can not be placed in the ground if there are too many dead bodies/parts of dead bodies around.

15 seconds is not enough time to pick up weapons, plant grenades, plant shields, and/or get back to the area where you have hold up.

The Cyclops' chainsaw is ridiculously overpowered, seriously.

There are no ranks for Horde, which leads to, no ranked matchmaking for Horde.

And without any ranks, there is no penalty for quitting a Horde match.

After the update, the Locust also gained five second immunity when they spawn.

There are a few enemies missing from Horde, Palace Guards, Nemacysts, Reavers, etc.

And there's a lot of other stuff that needs fixing that I can't think of right, but yeah Horde needs a lot of work.

I agree with the parts in bold, but otherwise you just seem to want it to become much easier and I couldn't disagree more. If anything, public horde is way too easy. No, not at the later waves, but as is you'll have to play for an hour before it gets interesting. Until that happens you're just going through the motions waiting for it to become challenging. It's part of why I stopped playing. Way too much time spent in the first 15-16 (boring) waves.

As for me, there's mainly two things that would make me pick up the game again (for public horde):

1. Being able to start with a higher difficulty.
2. Being able to start at a later wave. For example, the options could be wave 1, 11, 21, 31, and 41. And where you could only start at a later wave if you've already managed to get there. This would also ensure that you started at later waves with other experienced players.

Edit: another thing that would make me play it again, would be a playlist for Horde on the new map pack. I bought the pack, but I still haven't been able to play Horde on any of the maps. That fucking sucks.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
when you try insane co-op, give me a message over Xbox Live 360.

Gamertag: Amitr0n

will do, I'm euro time and on vacation for the following 2 weekends, but I'll add ya anyway and catch you sometime if you up for it.

I agree with the parts in bold, but otherwise you just seem to want it to become much easier and I couldn't disagree more. If anything, public horde is way too easy. No, not at the later waves, but as is you'll have to play for an hour before it gets interesting. Until that happens you're just going through the motions waiting for it to become challenging. It's part of why I stopped playing. Way too much time spent in the first 15-16 (boring) waves.

As for me, there's mainly two things that would make me pick up the game again (for public horde):

1. Being able to start with a higher difficulty.
2. Being able to start at a later wave. For example, the options could be wave 1, 11, 21, 31, and 41. And where you could only start at a later wave if you've already managed to get there. This would also ensure that you started at later waves with other experienced players.

Edit: another thing that would make me play it again, would be a playlist for Horde on the new map pack. I bought the pack, but I still haven't been able to play Horde on any of the maps. That fucking sucks.

all of these things

Dosia

As this thread slows down it appears I am not the only one who is slowly losing interest in the game. I only play once or twice a week compared to my past daily dose of gears 1. What a shame. :(

Dosia said:
As this thread slows down it appears I am not the only one who is slowly losing interest in the game. I only play once or twice a week compared to my past daily dose of gears 1. What a shame. :(
The opposite for me. Patched up Gears 2 is awesome.

Dosia

I tried playing a match yesterday and my bullets would take 3 seconds to register. I attempted to find another game but after 15 minutes I gave up. Maybe I am just one of the unlucky ones who rarely gets into good games.

Dosia said:
I tried playing a match yesterday and my bullets would take 3 seconds to register. I attempted to find another game but after 15 minutes I gave up. Maybe I am just one of the unlucky ones who rarely gets into good games.
You're not alone.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Dosia said:
I'm playing most days. :)

Zoltrix

So I can't put up with the matchmaking and I've just been playing with bots lately. Can someone tell me why the AI is so bad? WHY DON'T THEY REVIVE ME, WHY DON'T THEY GET OUT OF HIDING, WHY CAN'T THEY GET A KILL, WHY DON'T THEY EXECUTE DOWNED ENEMIES?! And it's freaking ridiculous that insane bots can walk and shoot without aiming and land every bullet. If I increase the difficulty, the bots should get smarter and more skilled, not be able to do the impossible!

JB1981

So I finally put enough time into the MP to get a feel of the design of the maps. I finally know where the power weapons spawn on most maps and I can develop a strategy. The player is at a serious disadvantage in this game if he/she does not know the layout of the maps. I'm starting to enjoy the game a lot more (despite the lag). I think Elimination is the only playable competitive mode, really. Annex isn't equipped to deal w/ the netcode stress and King of the Hill is not fun when you have a dysfunctional non-host shotty. Had some fun games tonight w/ strangers - people were communicating and being pretty cool. No one really plays here anymore, eh?

also: i have really had NO issues w/ matchmaking since the patch. I would say that it's not as quick as Halo 3 or COD 4 but it's quick enough and very functional.

I was a casual Gears 1 MP player but I just can't get into Gears 2 online. It seems to take forever to find 10 players in my skill range and then they usually don't stick around to see the match's end. This grouped with decent amounts of lag and players that lack mics or any interest in teamwork have really got my frustrated with the online play.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Once Gears has region filter and Epic sort out smoke greneades...I'll be hopping back on this. Until then...dust dust dust.

Teknoman

LittleTokyo said:
I was a casual Gears 1 MP player but I just can't get into Gears 2 online. It seems to take forever to find 10 players in my skill range and then they usually don't stick around to see the match's end. This grouped with decent amounts of lag and players that lack mics or any interest in teamwork have really got my frustrated with the online play.

Try to jump in with some of us and fight other public people. Only thing i've ever run into that sucked with GAF were rank elitists (not GAF players but other players).

bumpkin

Has anyone rekindled their love affair with the "13 Days of Gears" event going on? I played last night -- the match type to play was Annex -- and I'm a bit unnerved that I don't see it on my stats (on the Gears 2 site). Is their site notorious for not immediately reflecting matches?

Top Bottom