• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 "Dust to Dust" trailer

malfcn

The Xtortionist said:
RustLung was in official media. One of the Horde 2.0 trailers IIRC.

It was captured by an ad agency. Epic knew but didn't do anything about it.

which was footage captured by an ad agency, not us. We never announced those maps
since it was not announced and no one would know it's name (except from leak) didn't want to try and replace the shots due to time
not lies. We never announced them. An ad agency captured footage on them without our guidance and made it into the trailer.

JambiBum

malfcn said:
I want to buy the season pass..but if it is a bunch of weapon skins for $30 that is harsh. I know there is going to be maps too..
Maps, characters, skins and extra campaign content. I've never seen multiplayer dlc that contains all of that. Mostly just maps.

PXG is right though. Here comes the canceled preorders

-PXG-

JambiBum said:
My favorite thing is that the majority of this is over the skins. It's not like they are holding back game modes. I'm amazed at this back lash over weapon skins.

I'm not counting Azura and rust because they were never meant to be shown.
Is the principal of paying for content that is already on the disc. Plus charging for stuff that used to be unlockable in games, not too long ago

-PXG-

malfcn said:
It was captured by an ad agency. Epic knew but didn't do anything about it.
Come on Epic...you should have more control over your product and establish better communication with third part marketing entities. Don't blame the ad agency. You own the IP. You should be more aware of whats gping on and carefully review what is shown and when.

What a lame ass excuse. Seriously. I'm not mad...thats just a really poor, pathetic answer. Plain bullshit. We're not stupid.

JambiBum

-PXG- said:
Is the principal of paying for content that is already on the disc. Plus charging for stuff that used to be unlockable in games, not too long ago
Oh no I understand that. It just doesn't get under my skin like it does others. People can charge for what they want. It's my choice whether or not to purchase the content offered. The whole vote with your wallet situation.

Told my regular group about all of this tonight and they just laughed. We don't care about it.

JambiBum said:
Oh no I understand that. It just doesn't get under my skin like it does others. People can charge for what they want. It's my choice whether or not to purchase the content offered. The whole vote with your wallet situation.

Told my regular group about all of this tonight and they just laughed. We don't care about it.

I wouldn't care about them charging for skins if the game wasn't about to ship with only 5 new maps (obviously not counting the 4 from the beta that should have been finished looong before the beta was available, and 2 of the 4 were shit - and gridlock which we've played in the two previous games already) and after a 5 months delay, when we know that 2 maps and 2 characters were cut just to get some more money out of them. That's what I do care about. Quantity and quality of the maps is the thing I care about most when we're talking about content. And Gears 3 is veeery disappointing.

Arjen

I don't give a fuck about weapon skins, but this is a pretty shitty thing to do.
Oh well, still super hyped for the game.

You know what, fuck this. If they release a GOTY edition down the line that contains all the stuff they're trying to squeeze extra money out of you for, then I might pick that up.

But withholding maps and skins to sell them to you as DLC is complete bullshit. And the fact that Rod is trying to justify it by saying stuff like:

"Because it's the state of the industry where you offer optional content at a small price. It's keeping up with the rest"

Why is there 4 variations of Cole yet you couldn't include Bernie or Onyx Guard?
"Because in order for DLC to be successful you need to have content people want"

I'm voting with my wallet on this one. There plenty of other games coming out for me to enjoy that won't treat me like an idiot and try to take advantage of the fans.

Untracked

They should have cut the Gnasher and popped it on the Marketplace for 2400 space bucks. That would make some serious money!

I could understand charging for characters / weapon skins if the game was free to play, but this is just greed lol.

Had my eye on that Team Pulse skin, oh well, I'll survive without it.

commedieu

Banned
They would be better off including the content, and selling the game for a higher price.

Instead of milking the shit out of dlc, already on disc, and treating their customers like fucking idiots as if everyone doesn't know business.

I hate how these guys pretend that we are too stupid to understand whats going on.

-PXG- said:
Precisely. A lot of companies are doing this, but it's that leaked build that's been floating around for some time now that's painting things in a rather worse light for Epic.

Seeing that some of the content that has been made into DLC (I'm gonna go with disc-locked content) was present in a beta build of the game is probably what's striking a nerve and pissing most people off. I speak only for myself, but in my case I don't give a damn about weapon skins! Personally, it's maps and characters being cut that miffs me.

Maps I can understand wanting to charge for, but characters for cryin' out loud. As PXG said, this sort of stuff used to be unlockable in every game. People don't like to be treated like idiots or cashcows, least of all loyal fans. It's easy to understand where the outrage is coming from.

malfcn

To be fair, some of that stuff has to be on the disc. If it isn't on the disc, then no one else will see it.

If anything make it unlockable with gameplay, or unlockable with $$ like EA does with sports games.

Gears 3 only shipping with 9 original maps following a 3 year dev cycle is disappointing. MW3 is going to have 16 maps on disk and that's off a 2 year cycle that included a huge shitstorm for the developer. Epic can do better than this; they have in the past.

The Xtortionist said:
Gears 3 only shipping with 9 original maps following a 3 year dev cycle is disappointing. MW3 is going to have 16 maps on disk and that's off a 2 year cycle that included a huge shitstorm for the developer. Epic can do better than this; they have in the past.

Let's not pretend it's through a lack of effort. They made enough maps. They just want to sell you them later on rather than give them to you when you buy the game.

The Xtortionist said:
how many did gears 2 come out with?

The Xtortionist said:
10 original maps + 5 remakes

Edit - And Gears 2 was on a 2 year dev cycle
well damn..I dont think people played on alot of those maps though, hopefully gears 3 has more playable maps gears 2 had overplayed maps and some hated and not played at all most of those flashback maps idk why they didnt work well in gears 2 but stasis,ruins,day one people always voted them out over river,bloodrive,jacinto,etc.

Feindflug

malfcn said:
They hinted at some free content. Hope some of the freebies are maps.

I asked Rod two days ago on twitter if there is any chance to see a free map pack down the line and he's still hasn't answered - that's not a good sign isn't it?

Anyway I'm really disappointed with what I hear about the game in terms of content and all these stupid dlc, season pass & pre-order exclusives and all...I thought that the extra year could be an advantage for the game instead they got more time to create content that they are "planned" for DLC. Funny thing is that a lot of people (including me sometimes) are mocking CoD and their 1200 points map packs but seeing Epic & MS charging for a weapon skin or a character that's already available in the campaign is truly pathetic.

I guess I'll keep my LE pre-order, get the 1000g and play it until I get bored of playing the same maps over and over again (besides there's always another multiplayer game to play this fall) but I'm not spending a single cent on their ridiculous DLC policy - the sad thing is that Epic could do a great comeback with Gears 3 (beta was awesome) after the fiasco that Gears 2 was but it seems that they fucked it up...again.

The Xtortionist said:
Bernie and Onyx Guard I think.
Damn bernie looked cool, is this intentional holding of content for DLC or where they WIP and couldnt be finished in time. All this seems kinda shady and if their making DLC characters then i demand Kim

I was planning on buying the season pass so this isnt the biggest blow in the world (assuming that character DLC will be included in that as the skin pack isnt) But pretty much all the upcoming DLC has been shown fully playable. Epic need to start delivering with DLC after this. Iv already dropped £70 for the retro lancer (which they could of included a DLC code with) and plan on dropping £100 for the Epic edition. Im a huge fan of gears and up until this point i was really excited for it. Now i know that content is being held from me im pretty angry about it.

jgminto

Fully paid off my Ltd Edition today. I am disappointed by this news. I wouldn't expect something like that from Epic. Honestly if this wasn't Gears 3 I'd probably cancel my preorder and get something else but Gears 2 is one of my most played games of this gen. Epic better perform extremely well in the DLC if they want to keep me as a fan.

Rimfya

Banned
So I can pay full price for the game disc day 1, with the option to pay full price to buy content off the disc day 1?

Awesome plan Epic.

You know what? I actually planned on buying the season pass since I pretty much bought every bit of Gears 2. Scratch that. Now it's regular edition, no dlc. I have no prob with dlc but this tactic is stupid.

Rimfya said:
So I can pay full price for the game disc day 1, with the option to pay full price to buy content off the disc day 1?

Awesome plan Epic.

Yeah this on disc DLC stuff is a joke, Cant something be done about it, its like buying a car then having to pay someone to unlock the back doors for you. I mean 2 MP maps is seriously stupid. When people with the leaked build have them fully playable the only thing stopping epic making them available at launch is greed, as much as i like epic and gears this is seriously making me take a step back and think, not including the skins the season pass is again greed.

Id love to be proven wrong and given a reason for this but epic clearly dont care on twitter, cliffy b is going to be his usual self over the issue and mock people who complain, rod who actual seems like a decent guy has answers but they really arnt what the fans want.

Day 1 Bulk purchase of the skins is still paying for content ON THE DISC we are buying. After spending around £300+ on the franchise im a little disheartened by all of this. Cliffy spoke before about treating the fans of this series well, saying we spread the word where the evangelists and how are we rewarded for these actions, by being abused.

They know myself and hundreds of thousands of others will buy this content and because of that their going to split it up to the bare minimum that they can still sell and push it out in drips and drabs.

Its not even like they purposefully withheld content, its worse than that. This content is ON THE DISC you buy

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Untracked

Cancelled my Epic Edition, now going for Steelbook. Saved myself £50 (gonna need that for weapon skins).

I heard a while back that Clocktower was appearing in Gears 3, was that true? If so, is it on the disc? Loved that map in Gears 1.

-PXG-

I have to give it up to Rod for staying up almost all night answering questions and letting people know what the deal is. A lot of people would not have done that.

I'd really love to know who is responsible for monetizing all of this stuff.

Again, it's optional, but this is stuff that should have been unlockable. I'm not a fan of these nickle and dimin tactics.

Elginer

I just woke up to see this shitstorm, I am mad disappoint son. So 2 maps and characters have been cut now as DLC, along with a crapload of what should be unlockable skins?
With Crimson Alliance and now this, I see where MS is going and no sir, I don't like it.

bumpkin

StalkerUKCG said:
Damn bernie looked cool, is this intentional holding of content for DLC or where they WIP and couldnt be finished in time. All this seems kinda shady and if their making DLC characters then i demand Kim

I was planning on buying the season pass so this isnt the biggest blow in the world (assuming that character DLC will be included in that as the skin pack isnt) But pretty much all the upcoming DLC has been shown fully playable. Epic need to start delivering with DLC after this. Iv already dropped £70 for the retro lancer (which they could of included a DLC code with) and plan on dropping £100 for the Epic edition. Im a huge fan of gears and up until this point i was really excited for it. Now i know that content is being held from me im pretty angry about it.
Don't change your mind yet about the DLC yet if Bernie or the Onyx Guard are tipping points. Rod tweeted this earlier:

Bernie and Onyx Guard are a few of the characters available in DLC 1 coming in November.
Fuck yeah! :D

Arnie

D4Danger said:
none of this crap affects the game so I don't really care

let people buy horse armour if it makes them happy.
I'm not bothered by skins, but multiplayer maps do bother me. Not that I'm exceptionally surprised, I've known for years now that Epic weren't a Valve type company, people expecting that level of customer care were bound to be in for a shock. Season Pass foreshadowed it but there will be a shit ton of paid DLC for Gears 3. It'll split the user base and low and behold some of it will've been content complete before September 20th. That's just what you get from a game developer that values financial gain slightly higher than customer satisfaction.

Doesn't mean I won't enjoy Gears 3.

The Xtortionist said:
10 original maps + 5 remakes

Edit - And Gears 2 was on a 2 year dev cycle

The five remakes were new buyer bonus content though, and just that, remakes.

And I remember Epic saying most people never even bothered to download the 5 remakes even though they were free, when pondering why people dont engage with online content.

-PXG-

Ice cold

@GearsViking 6 award skins vs 22 payable skins? That doesn't seem like a very even ratio.

response...

@HotJuicyPie why does it have to be even? We gave some away to reward fans and accomplishments and the rest are optional for customization

Cut this "optional" bullshit.

The Xtortionist said:
Gears 1's free maps were great, if they can do that again in gears 3 it will be nice.

Feindflug

specialguy said:
The five remakes were new buyer bonus content though, and just that, remakes.

And I remember Epic saying most people never even bothered to download the 5 remakes even though they were free, when pondering why people dont engage with online content.

To be honest this sounds like BS to me, so people didn't bother to redeem a 5 free maps pack voucher that was the first thing they saw when they opened their game case?

I guess that also most people that have games with online passes nowadays can't play online because they didn't bother to redeem their codes...who knows maybe this excuse was to pave the way for their future DLC plans.

@HotJuicyPie why does it have to be even? We gave some away to reward fans and accomplishments and the rest are optional for customization

OK it's confirmed guys they clearly did us a favor by giving us 6 skins so just STFU, stop complaining and pay 60$ for the game and another 60$ for the rest of the game content which btw is completely optional and was only possible with the extra year of development they got.

Feindflug said:
To be honest this sounds like BS to me, so people didn't bother to redeem a 5 free maps pack voucher that was the first thing they saw when they opened their game case?
I was about to say. You'd be lucky to find a second hand copy of the game with an unused Flashback code.

333px-BarrickHolyCrap.JPG

Hopefully Barrick is in DLC pack 1 along side kim and tai, that would for me at least go a long way towards solving the problem

Bossniak

Paying for customization? Is this a first? I know BLOPS has free weapon skins and Reach has free customization while ranking up.

Top Bottom