• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 'Fenix Rising' DLC Map Pack Announced (Jan 17)

mf.luder

The last DLC was nothing but single-player.

I'm glad they're splitting it up, people who don't care about single-player can ignore the multiplayer packs, people who don't care about multiplayer can just buy the single-player one(s). Much, much preferable to each pack being divided between both types of content so people have to buy every pack to get the portion they want, in lesser quantities.
Ah yes, good point. In that case, I do think this is much better but something like being able to prestige should maybe be in a title update rather than the $$ DLC.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Ha. Just like I said way back, people would come around to the Season Pass. It was meant for fans regardless and it was the smartest way to buy all four DLC packs, plus all you had to do if you were in doubt was wait till things were announced instead of bitching on the first day right away.

Can't wait till the 17th - it's the week after I get my Masters of Science and I'll still be in relaxation mode so it'll be all Gears all day for sure.

Recruit Clayton?
Essentially the stock Gear skin, Carmine voice pack with Claytons Helmet?
Lazy.
Why not give us D.Carmine (unless D.Carmine is in the next DLC)

The Maps look awesome though, and being able to Re-up is gonna be awesome, im only really starting to get into GeOW3s multiplayer now, so ive still got a long way to go before i actually get to Re-Up im just glad the option is there.

There's no Gear that looks like that in any of the three games, if anything, he reminds me of a throwback to one of the Gears from the very first pictues of Gears of War where Marcus looks nothing like he does in Gears 1.

And people still use this GeOW shit? Just say Gears or GOW.

Escalation really? Sorry but that was never a good map.
I liked RAAM's shadow, thought it was better than the actual Gears 3 campaign, so I'll probably consider getting this. But I've pretty much abandoned the MP in this game. The Alpha playlist has like 800 people, and that's all I care to play.......When I retry 10 times to get Execution... *sigh*
You used to be my everything, Gears =/

Yeah, Escalation is definitely one of the weaker maps in Gears 1. They should have chosen Mausoleum or Old Bones instead.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
There's no Gear that looks like that in any of the three games, if anything, he reminds me of a throwback to one of the Gears from the very first pictues of Gears of War where Marcus looks nothing like he does in Gears 1.
Aw c'mon now, he does pretty much look like the standard Cog soldier but with Clayton's helmet.

I was hoping "Recruit" meant he'd have basic training gear or something, COG fatigues instead of the heavy armor. 'Course, then they'd either be forced to show a Carmine's face or have him with light clothing but the armored helmet, both of which would be a little weird.
Yeah, Escalation is definitely one of the weaker maps in Gears 1. They should have chosen Mausoleum or Old Bones instead.
Process is the secret best map that no one remembers.

Also, Gears just doesn't feel right without Canals.

Well there goes my "exclusive" Savage Kantus that barely anyone else had.

Yeah it's pretty shitty that cole train and savage kantus are included in this.

Hopefully they'll include the other pre-order chars in a DLC pack but knowing epic they'll probably be standalone unlock keys sometime in the future.

malfcn

dmsSN.png

My stats. Why is Gears groups unlocked other games?

I kind of liked getting attention for having the Savage Kantus. Randoms would always be hitting me up, asking how they could get it. No more of that.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Aw c'mon now, he does pretty much look like the standard Cog soldier but with Clayton's helmet.

I was hoping "Recruit" meant he'd have basic training gear or something, COG fatigues instead of the heavy armor. 'Course, then they'd either be forced to show a Carmine's face or have him with light clothing but the armored helmet, both of which would be a little weird.

I wouldn't say that he looks like one at all, but that just goes to show you how much I play Gears - and Clayton wouldn't cut it as a regular ol' Gear.

Process is the secret best map that no one remembers.

Also, Gears just doesn't feel right without Canals.

Oh, I definetely remember and loved Process - but then again, maps in any game never bother me, I play any map just fine - it's a challenge.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Re-read the article.

This savage kantus has a different color scheme. Your Amazon pre-order one will still have a distinctive look.
Oh, ha, didn't notice that. Savage Kantus' main garb is red rather than brown, and Cole's uniform is the 'Away' version.

(Although away uniforms are generally more varied than just different colored pants. The top should be white.)

Gowans

Oh, ha, didn't notice that. Savage Kantus' main garb is red rather than brown, and Cole's uniform is the 'Away' version.

(Although away uniforms are generally more varied than just different colored pants. The top should be white.)

That's cool, nicely done epic.

JB1981

When u getting back into it? Just got my 100 last night...ready for prestige.

i should shouldn't i? i just finished up Arkham City ... was awesome .. and was trying to get through some of my backlog ... will you be on during the week?

Uck, Escalation. Never been a fan of that map. Remake of it looks nice though.

Kinda sad that Cole Train is no longer beta exclusive but then I never used it anyway.

Re-read the article.

This savage kantus has a different color scheme. Your Amazon pre-order one will still have a distinctive look.

Meh, still though, my guy went from an exclusive character to an exclusive colored tunic. I think what actually bothers me is the fact that I like the red one better.

Nori Chan

Recruit Clayton? Uuuuuh come one man, can we get a different character?

I mean who really uses Clayton. I'm not complaining, I just want a new character.

I received a free copy of Gears 3 last week (sold original due to BF3), has the MP improved since launch? I always had trouble getting into matches on dedicated servers.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ok, so what is GAF's general opinion on the campaign? The answer to that will decide if I get 360 next week.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'm happy for this latest DLC as well as RAAM's Shadow, but uh, why is Epic blowing their load with DLC so early? I thought one of the reasons for the Season Pass was to lock you into content that would be released over a year or two's worth of time?

The way they're treating this content, you'd expect Gears of War 4 to be out by March 2012.

I'm happy for this latest DLC as well as RAAM's Shadow, but uh, why is Epic blowing their load with DLC so early? I thought one of the reasons for the Season Pass was to lock you into content that would be released over a year or two's worth of time?

The way they're treating this content, you'd expect Gears of War 4 to be out by March 2012.

Maybe they have a ton of content planned.

Remember, Gears 3 was originally scheduled for launch in April 2011. They ostensibly had an additional 5 months of additional time to develop post-game content like this.

Either that or they want to get it out while the quickly depleting player base is still relatively active.

Satchel

Banned
So far onyl RAAM's shadow interests me.

I'm more of an SP person anyway. I don't play online quite enough to make the online focused DLC worthwhile.

Maybe they have a ton of content planned.

Remember, Gears 3 was originally scheduled for launch in April 2011. They ostensibly had an additional 5 months of additional time to develop post-game content like this.

Either that or they want to get it out while the quickly depleting player base is still relatively active.

i would argue that it's more likely that they're trying to use the dlc to bring people back. that flagging userbase is probably ruffling some feathers - maybe player counts dropped off faster than they expected to, so they're pushing the dlc release up to try and bring it back up?

i would argue that it's more likely that they're trying to use the dlc to bring people back. that flagging userbase is probably ruffling some feathers - maybe player counts dropped off faster than they expected to, so they're pushing the dlc release up to try and bring it back up?

That's a definite possibility too.

Grisby

Ok, so what is GAF's general opinion on the campaign? The answer to that will decide if I get 360 next week.
I thought it was great. Lots of fun. However, even on Hardcore I thought it was a bit easy. The difficulty balance felt off because of the retooling for 4 players I believe.

All say this that out of all the trilogy games I've played this year GOW3 was the most satisfying.

zaidr

WTF, these maps have been out for a week, only people with the maps get to play multipler with dedicated servers, and still I've only ever run across one of the 5 maps, Anvil. Wheres the rest of the maps in rotation?

Top Bottom