• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

Thank God. That would've been too fucking predictable.

My only major complaint of the campaign is the lambent. They just weren't fun to fight. Annoying to be honest. Ya know what, also fuck the armored Kantus. It's not challenging to beat but come on Epic, you're gonna throw an enemy at me that can only be defeated with explosives? Eff that.

Chiggs

GDJustin said:
In addition to this, a full 40% of the game ends up being (literally) pointless.

Let's look for sub fuel in Dom's hometown! (Leave with no fuel).
Let's look for sub fuel in Char! (Leave with no fuel).

Oh, hey, there's sub fuel RIGHT BY the sub! That's handy!

I mean, those two chapters were fine from a gameplay standpoint, but couldn't Epic have had Delta Squad doing something more useful during the middle portion of the game? Seems like poor scenario planning...

jackdoe

MCXC Pioneer said:
Thank God. That would've been too fucking predictable.

My only major complaint of the campaign is the lambent. They just weren't fun to fight. Annoying to be honest. Ya know what, also fuck the armored Kantus. It's not challenging to beat but come on Epic, you're gonna throw an enemy at me that can only be defeated with explosives? Eff that.
What's hilarious is that when playing solo, your friendly AI is generally grenade happy. Except when you fight an Armored Kantus. Imagine that.

MCXC Pioneer said:

One frag tag = dead, at least on Hardcore.

jackdoe said:
What's hilarious is that when playing solo, your friendly AI is generally grenade happy. Except when you fight an Armored Kantus. Imagine that.
It's how they balance the AI. You wouldn't want the game to play itself.

The Xtortionist said:
One frag tag = dead, at least on Hardcore.
Played it cautiously and didn't even attempt a frag tag. Guess I should've since normal was a cake walk and your teammates will always revive you.

jackdoe

MCXC Pioneer said:
Played it cautiously and didn't even attempt a frag tag. Guess I should've since normal was a cake walk and your teammates will always revive you.
Hardcore was easy as hell though (save the frustrating final boss), so I have to imagine that normal can be played with your eyes closed. With easy reviving, SOS is your best friend. I didn't realize this until after the third act.

jackdoe said:
To be answered in a novel :p

Or DLC. Honestly, because they got Traviss (who wrote the novels) to do the story, they ended up with a much better story than previous Gears, but also a story that relies too much on the novels to fill in the blanks.
That and the whole Hoffman/Dreadz relationship, too. It felt like I should have known what that was about from the beginning.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
jackdoe said:
It was a lame death that occurred during a tangent in the story telling. Had he died in Act 5, it would have meant much more.
Nah, it was Maria's hometown; it was the perfect place.

jackdoe

Meisadragon said:
Nah, it was Maria's hometown; it was the perfect place.
I don't know, maybe it would have been better if they actually got the fuel from Mercy, instead of taking another detour to Char, leaving without immulsion, and then finding immulsion a short distance away from the sub making the who detour completely pointless.

jackdoe said:
I don't know, maybe it would have been better if they actually got the fuel from Mercy, instead of taking another detour to Char, leaving without immulsion, and then finding immulsion a short distance away from the sub making the who detour completely pointless.

This part of the story really sticks out badly to me. It makes the majority of acts III and IV feel pointless, story-wise.

S1kkZ said:
very pissed that they didnt talk more about the queen and why she looks human. no reason to hold it back. i first thought marcus father was testing his serum on her, which turned her human (would made for an awesome ending, all locust turning into humans by adams machine).

this. I was also expecting "I'm your mother"..etc or something. instead; we got maniacal dialogue and then he stabs her. I'd like to have known her motivation to kill etc. I mean; survival of the species is also a great reason to "emerge" and that was some pathos at the end of the grubs. Also, really would have liked to know why she looked human and had perfectly round breasts. Who's her daddy?

5. I said in Act 1 Chapter 1 "If Myrah is Marcus' mother I'll squeal", I squealed.
They didn't ever say she was the mother. If anything; I don't think she is.

re:dom; I didn't think he had to die. He could have jumped out of the accelerating car or jambed a weapon it there to keep it moving. It was all to facilitate the "slow mo, fireball+explosion+jumping/falling+mad world". Thought it was kind of funny in all honesty.

Volimar said:
I think you heard wrong. He felt responsible for the Locust because he couldn't find a solution to the Locust problem before Myrrah made the decision to take them to the surface and war with humans...

this was a bit ... of a problem for me. Couldn't they have segmented the world - locust live here and humans live here and instead of the war? I understand he had regret but he could have facilitated the grubs/locusts emergence to the world without the need for that war.

re:new enemies

a) lambent humans. completely useless and you had to just stand your ground and punch.
b) mysterious grub with ink weapon who can insta kill. WTF is this shit
c) lambent things... felt like I was playing a different game - maybe prototype? darksector?

Anyhow; I don't see how they're going to do a new gears. Locust has no leader and outside of the queen; they're like sheep for the most parts with no discerable intelligence; lambent should be gone... etc

New universe from cliffy + co.

Jinjo

Did everyone miss out on the fact you need the fuel to actually get to the goddamn sub base in the first place (and not for the submarine itself)? I mean, Dizzy even explicitly states that they're out of fuel when they've just reached Char. They got more fuel there to continue their drive to the submarine base which offcourse would deplete their collected fuel resources. I get the whole repetitive goal complaint, but at the very least pay some more attention beyond just reading the goal descriptions in the top left of the screen.

LowParry

It's too bad Myr didn't turn out to be Marcus' mother. It could of made the story thought out better. Gears and Locust end up fighting together at some point to kill out a dangerous enemy in the end. It'd of left plenty of ideas for better DLC options for more open story and possible a Gears 4 in the future. Eh, either way, the story was okay. Just could of been a lot lot better. And did someone just say their fuck yeah moment was Myr getting stabbed? That had to be the most stupidest thing I've seen. Talk talk talk, walk walk...staaaaaaaab! Seeing a Burmak getting beheaded was much more entertaining than that worthless scene. She seemed all fine and just gets randomly stabbed. She could of crawled out half dead and dazed spouting her evil lines while Marcus stands over her listening. She says something nasty about Dom and bam! Stab. You're dead bitch. Oiy. Love you Cliffy B!

orion434

I felt that Dom's death was lame, I haven't played Gears 2 Campaign in years so I had remember why to feel bad. There was very little reason to get attached to Dom in Gears 3, if Cole Train died I would have felt worse.

LiK

Gotta agree, Dom's death didn't affect me much. Adam's death was more impactful and he didn't appear until this game. Dom's character was never that interesting to me. I would've felt something more if Baird or Cole died instead.

Tawpgun

If Dom was made more than just that guy next to marcus, his death might have been more impactful. The Maria thing did nothing for me in Gears 2 so I didn't fully appreciate what epic was TRYING to go for.

However I did get a little emotional at his death. The actual scene was done very well, its the character that wasn't.

legacyzero said:
Prescott and Myrah kidnapped him for that purpose. You see, originally the Locust wanted to be under ground, but the Imulsion problem was forcing them towards E-Day. This was all discussed when you first meet up with Adam in the top of the tower. Adam wanted the Locust and the Humans to co-exist as they did originally. Marus and the Cog didn't want it because the damage had already been done.

Yes he wanted them to co-exist, but why is my question. It's not explained at all. We're they ALWAYS there? Where did they come from? What were they doing down there, just living their happy ole' lives? If Adam Fenix wanted them to live, you'd think they would have had some sort of redeeming quality or connection with Adam. It's not really explained other than he wanted them to live.

Also, I don't get the people complaining about Dom's death. It was handled better than almost any other story element in any of the Gears games. It was his emotional return to Maria's hometown, he goes to her grave and leaves his COG tags there shortly before and he solidifies the fact that he is marching on for Marcus. And then he sacrifices himself for Marcus and the rest of the Gears. The scene was handled very well. You could see the emotion in Dom's face when he was doing what he was doing. The line he delivers right before he crashes was delivered well. The music in the ensuing explosion scene was perfect. And the reaction from other characters throughout the rest of the game was handled well. Marcus felt the impact throughout, Anya could sense it in Marcus, and it even affected Baird quite a bit for the rest of the game after he finds out. It was handled as well as it could be from a storytelling aspect.

LiK

A27 Tawpgun said:
If Dom was made more than just that guy next to marcus, his death might have been more impactful. The Maria thing did nothing for me in Gears 2 so I didn't fully appreciate what epic was TRYING to go for.

However I did get a little emotional at his death. The actual scene was done very well, its the character that wasn't.
When he put his Cog tag on the statue, that was a bit touching. His death came too soon afterwards.

Rimfya

Banned
Yeah I felt like the Mad World music made Doms death a little comical. Felt like Epic were screaming IT'S EMOTIONAL, GET IT? The only piece of licensed music in the whole game was always going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Rimfya

Banned
LiK said:
When he put his Cog tag on the statue, that was a bit touching. His death came too soon afterwards.
This is true also. Seems the story only ever addresses story points as they happen. We peer into Coles soul and then forget about it. Ice T is upset and then forgotten. Baird and Sam have a thing, but only once. Some call backs through the story would've een nice.

LiK

Rimfya said:
This is true also. Seems the story only ever addresses story points as they happen. We peer into Coles soul and then forget about it. Ice T is upset and then forgotten. Baird and Sam have a thing, but only once. Some call backs through the story would've een nice.
Makes me wonder if the SP DLC will be Baird and Sam related. There were moments where they did other stuff after splitting up so maybe they'll show them there.

Mrcapcom

How could people not be sad when Dom died. I know in GoW2 I was really sad when you took forever finding your wife and then u finally get there and she look the same way you left her only to find out the locust did genjutsu on u and Marcus snapped u out and its some worn out husk. That was crazy.

Then In GoW3 he basically kills himself to save everyone else. I thought he would come back as like the leader of the lambient though lol and you would have to fight him as the Final boss, but meh w/e didn't happen, fight with Waspenator was fun.

matt05891

I love how Myrahh surived multiple MULTIPLE HoD strikes and upwards of thousands of bullets to be killed by a knife. I mean HoD leveled cities but she takes that shit like a whore asking for more IMO. Just kinda made me be like "what?".

LiK

matt05891 said:
I love how Myrahh surived multiple MULTIPLE HoD strikes and upwards of thousands of bullets to be killed by a knife. I mean HoD leveled cities but she takes that shit like a whore asking for more IMO. Just kinda made me be like "what?".

kinda liked that. it was such a pitiful death and they wanna show you that she's actually dead.

CcrooK said:
It's too bad Myr didn't turn out to be Marcus' mother. It could of made the story thought out better. Gears and Locust end up fighting together at some point to kill out a dangerous enemy in the end. It'd of left plenty of ideas for better DLC options for more open story and possible a Gears 4 in the future. Eh, either way, the story was okay. Just could of been a lot lot better. And did someone just say their fuck yeah moment was Myr getting stabbed? That had to be the most stupidest thing I've seen. Talk talk talk, walk walk...staaaaaaaab! Seeing a Burmak getting beheaded was much more entertaining than that worthless scene. She seemed all fine and just gets randomly stabbed. She could of crawled out half dead and dazed spouting her evil lines while Marcus stands over her listening. She says something nasty about Dom and bam! Stab. You're dead bitch. Oiy. Love you Cliffy B!

I get that she's like the evil queen and all; but they made her out to be this pyschotic nutjob; who at the end was just standing and talking and not even remotely sympathetic - which I think would have helped the story - her tone never changed even after been defeated and then she gets stabbed

The problem with Dom's death was the cheese. Cheesey sad song, cheesy slow mo. And like it appealed to the lowest denominator of this "gruff/bro dude" shooter like an "emotional" scene out of a bruckheimer blockbuster. I laughed at the unearned emotion.

Rimfya said:
Yeah I felt like the Mad World music made Doms death a little comical. Felt like Epic were screaming IT'S EMOTIONAL, GET IT? The only piece of licensed music in the whole game was always going to stick out like a sore thumb.

this. There's also another piece of music in the game. And that's at the end of the credit and its that OTT metal GEARS OF WAR brodude track. Which is more in line with the emotional core of the game.

matt05891 said:

never thought about that but hahaha true. and they also used Dom's knife for emotional effect. should have just chainsawed the bitch.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Jinjo said:
Did everyone miss out on the fact you need the fuel to actually get to the goddamn sub base in the first place (and not for the submarine itself)? I mean, Dizzy even explicitly states that they're out of fuel when they've just reached Char. They got more fuel there to continue their drive to the submarine base which offcourse would deplete their collected fuel resources. I get the whole repetitive goal complaint, but at the very least pay some more attention beyond just reading the goal descriptions in the top left of the screen.

They could have gone STRAIGHT TO the sub base. You explicitly go to Mercy and Char looking for sub fuel.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
_dementia said:
So this is confirmed for being a complete list? I was hoping there would have been more.

You can't confirm the absence of something.

More Easter Eggs are still being discovered. That's a full list as of now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For all you people complaining about the Gears of War song in the credits, that's by Bodycount. Ice-T's metal band. They're excellent and have been excellent for many, many years.

Just check out their track "Strippers" to love em.

GDJustin said:
They could have gone STRAIGHT TO the sub base. You explicitly go to Mercy and Char looking for sub fuel.

the fuel complaints is amusing. It never registered with me as an issue in the game. Did they really go looking for sub fuel in mercy and char? I thought they were just looking for fuel in char. I mean; maybe they really needed to ensure they had fuel at the subbase. They couldn't have been able to predict that there is fuel there.

I thought what registered more was

"get a rotor" "get some fuel aka fetchquesty"...
the later game - ACT V - had so many "push a button sequence" "5 valves" "3 handles".. etc

what I really liked:

++
Ashes to Ashes was an amazing chapter.
new emergence holes aka stalks was amazing
crossbow weapon remains amazingly fun to use
late game combat where it gets more hectic was great
The malestrom assault level was great - had very nice visuals - storm + worldwaresque II trenches
no percievable load times. read it off the disc and no loading. Wow! I guess all the "opening door" " crossing barbwire" sequences conceal loading.
amount of world travelled. You felt like you were seeing a lot of areas. I wish there was a greater geographical sense though.

Pachterballs said:
the fuel complaints is amusing. It never registered with me as an issue in the game. Did they really go looking for sub fuel in mercy and char? I thought they were just looking for fuel in char. I mean; maybe they really needed to ensure they had fuel at the subbase. They couldn't have been able to predict that there is fuel there.

If this was real life, sure, but it's not - it's a story. Having a totally pointless goal for two chapters of the story (and not to mention using the completion of said pointless goal as a way to kill off a character) really sticks out.

LiK

Sunflower said:
For all you people complaining about the Gears of War song in the credits, that's by Bodycount. Ice-T's metal band. They're excellent and have been excellent for many, many years.

Just check out their track "Strippers" to love em.
I loved it.

Korosenai

So did we ever find out why the Myrrah was human?

Also Cliffy if you're reading this, I loved the campaign. Every single bit of it. Going back to play it again on insane tonight.

Korosenai

Plasmid said:
The tempest took us 2:30 to beat on hardcore (4 player Coop).

I can't even imagine insane..

Didnt care for griffins act, although the character was cool.
2 hours??? holy cow.

Me and my friend beat the tempest on hardcore in about 10 minutes on our first try. Wasn't even that hard at all.

Korosenai

To what Seth posted earlier:

"She's a descendant of the scientists who first studied imulsion-infected miners at the outpost in G2."

My guess is if she was a descendant of scientists, then she knew all about Adam Fenix and what he could do, went to him asking him to find a cure for the lambent, when he couldn't, the locust were forced to come above ground on what would become e-day.

I don't know, something like that maybe.

JB1981

Fantasy Final said:
I am the only one thinking that Jace is the most useless character in the game story wise?

Yes and unfortunately he and that other terribly voice acted Australian character accompany Marcus throughout the game, leaving Baird and Cole behind. What the hell was that all about? The more I think about it, the more I think the second game was better overall.

Grisby

I liked Jace. The guy who voiced him did a pretty decent job. There was just too much stuff to go over for him to get any back story in I guess. I agree though we didn't get enough time with the original four.

Alright, it's official, this game has the worst banter of any game (to not come out of japan) I've ever experienced. They've used "anyway" twice already to transition from irrelevant awful dialogue to relevant awful dialogue. The one liners are like leftovers from a 12 year old boy's mouth. At least gears 1 and 2 got up to sophomore levels. I fully expect a "I know you are but what am I?" zinger by the time this game is through.

And so far the multiple hours of gaming has lead to about 5 seconds of plot, and I wish I was exaggerating. Wow, this is how the "epic" ends, just wandering around for somewhere to go for 2 acts now. I killed a monster, yeah, that's worthy of an overlong double sided act.

And the voice of Jace sounds like he was recorded in a different cheaper recording studio.

Top Bottom