• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

JB1981

Pachterballs said:
the fuel complaints is amusing. It never registered with me as an issue in the game. Did they really go looking for sub fuel in mercy and char? I thought they were just looking for fuel in char. I mean; maybe they really needed to ensure they had fuel at the subbase. They couldn't have been able to predict that there is fuel there.

I thought what registered more was

"get a rotor" "get some fuel aka fetchquesty"...
the later game - ACT V - had so many "push a button sequence" "5 valves" "3 handles".. etc

what I really liked:

++
Ashes to Ashes was an amazing chapter.
new emergence holes aka stalks was amazing
crossbow weapon remains amazingly fun to use
late game combat where it gets more hectic was great
The malestrom assault level was great - had very nice visuals - storm + worldwaresque II trenches
no percievable load times. read it off the disc and no loading. Wow! I guess all the "opening door" " crossing barbwire" sequences conceal loading.
amount of world travelled. You felt like you were seeing a lot of areas. I wish there was a greater geographical sense though.

The final stretch down that hall to Adam Fenixes room really got my blood pumping. The Gears theme was playing at full bore and the game threw tons of enemies at you. So good

NubInaTub said:
To what Seth posted earlier:

"She's a descendant of the scientists who first studied imulsion-infected miners at the outpost in G2."

My guess is if she was a descendant of scientists, then she knew all about Adam Fenix and what he could do, went to him asking him to find a cure for the lambent, when he couldn't, the locust were forced to come above ground on what would become e-day.

I don't know, something like that maybe.

Then why didn't she die like the rest of "her people", and so on... (why were all Locust infected anyway? Myrrah's continued existence directly proves that not all Locust have had to have been affected, but the story just says "EVERYONE" for the convenience of it.

No doubt a sequel will begin with the 'shocking' revelation that not all Locust were wiped out and still fucking pissed off, though.

I guess the story works well enough, and initially has a good sense of humor about it (Baird at Sam when falling, Carmine about the helmet wearing), but that just seems to disappear later on. Dom's death was fitting for what he came to Mercy for (and then there is that name of the place, huh?), but I can certainly agree with people saying it was overdone and more importantly made meaningless later on.
That said, in terms of gameplay and scenery (I couldn't help but think of Bulletstorm's "who builds a resort out here?" lines) those bits are quite nice. Shooting ash statues also gives a creepy introduction to the ash guy. Allthough I saw the lambent human thing coming, I didn't think those sections were boring or not required as a retreat from Lambent and Locust all the time.
That I didn't find them boring, is in sharp contrast with my general take on the lambent though.

The whole opening was very impressive, but when the Lambent just went "poof" after shooting them, I felt dissapointed. And with it, the entire first sections of the game felt like "generic shooting" to me and my coop buddy. Seeying Locust again was certainly a release from that torment (YAY, Executions!), but every section where the locust show up starts getting old real fast. To be honest, I don't like them as enemies at all. Or as pieces of the mythology. But that can't be changed.
(and somehow I didn't mind the human lambent turkeyshoot, despite the immediate association with Resistance 2's variant on the turkeyshoot)

It's interesting that these feelings are turned around in Horde, where Locust and Lambent are neither friend nor foe to one another (they will attack each other, but will go for players first, including those damned Lambent berserkers) and they just become 'part of the horde' where it doesn't matter whether they go 'poof' or not. Esthetics aren't a goal in Horde after all.

Btw: why doesn't Beast mode also have a lambent roster? Running through every barrier with a berserker is one thing, doing it with a lambent berserker would be 'returning the favor', in particular if the other side were to be human players.
(even though I realize not many people are big on asynchronous multiplayer, making the investment a poor one from a bussiness perspective)

JB1981 said:
Yes and unfortunately he and that other terribly voice acted Australian character accompany Marcus throughout the game, leaving Baird and Cole behind. What the hell was that all about?
The single player DLC is most likely going to be Baird and Cole gathering the troops.

jackdoe

Grisby said:
I liked Jace. The guy who voiced him did a pretty decent job. There was just too much stuff to go over for him to get any back story in I guess. I agree though we didn't get enough time with the original four.
Haha. Funnily enough, I probably would have liked Jace more if Nolan North were still voicing him.

Any strats for the Respect for the Dead 'cheevo?

AI teammates keep shooting they polyps near the ash people, and they crumble as a result of the splash damage.

jackdoe

_dementia said:
Any strats for the Respect for the Dead 'cheevo?

AI teammates keep shooting they polyps near the ash people, and they crumble as a result of the splash damage.
Does it count if your AI team mates cause the damage?

Hartt951

I just beat it. From a gameplay standpoint, it was incredible. The first two chapters were kinda easy and dull, but starting with Act3 it got crazy. Beautiful game, loads of fun.

Storywise I am very dissapointed. Gears of War 2 had so much story and left so many questions. An entire act was devoted to running around a top secret government research facility... however, none of it was touched upon in Gears3. Gears 2 made it pretty freaking clear to assume that the genetic testing the COG did during the pendulum wars in order to create a super soldier and turn the tide of the war led to the creation of the Locust and they were then taken underground and left there. Yet, we get no explanation of where the Locust came from, or why they were down there. No explanation of who Myrrah is, why she was the queen, why she looked human, why she could speak english. What we learn is Imulsion is a living parasitic organism and that it'll turn everything Lambent and destroy Sera if not stopped. We learn that Adam Fenix knew about E-day before it happened due to his contact with Myrrah(again, HOW was he in contact with the locust queen before anyone knew what locust were) but Im getting ahead of myself, we learned that Adam Fenix didnt die and he was kidnapped by first Prescott then the locust. We learn the COG had a trillion dollar paradise island inside of a hurricane to protect its best scientists. We learn that Prescott leaves the COG after riling them up for an invasion of the locust stronghold, yet comes back just in the nick of time to die... no explanation of why he left or where he was. Fenix gives Baird all the answers on a disk, yet we never learn whats on the disk? It doesn't make sense. No questions answered at all. I loved the campaign but I really wish the above wall of text would have been touched upon.

Grisby said:
So I thought since Gears 3 has the beefiest story we could have a spoiler thread on it. So all spoilers go here. Not quit done with it myself so I'll be back in a day or two.

Still, Damn you EPIC at the end End of Act 3. Dom's death kinda got to me. And then the mad world instrumental played. :(

Wow people weren't kidding about this being the Spoiler Thread. lol

Serves me right for just thinking I could peak in. Oh well time to fire up Youtube and watch the game.

Proelite

The lighting in the last building in the last act is a huge shock for me. I thought the lighting was incredible through out the game, but that part is just on a another level.

I haven't seen that kind of HDR in a game yet.

Proelite said:
The lighting in the last building in the last act is a huge shock for me. I thought the lighting was incredible through out the game, but that part is just on a another level.

I haven't seen that kind of HDR in a game yet.

I didn't think ACTV had any awesome lighting. It was mostly indoors and it was pretty much more of the same as I,II,III...

ACT IV - ashes to ashes did have great lighting. What bit are you talking about?

Lambent humans? Come on now!
So sick of enemies like the Flood, zombies or other "infected" creatures.
Good game but that chapter just bummed me out.

kuYuri

I hope one of the DLC campaigns includes Clayton. He didn't get enough screen time.

"I'm on fire!"

Also, they never explained why Myrrah had a human face, wtf.

I'm also calling now that one of the DLCs will be a prequel that takes place before E-Day. Commando Dom anyone? If not, I hope future Gears games will be prequels.

I just finished it with a friend and thought it was great. Dom's death was sad :( I didn't see it coming either.

Best visuals on console too, imo.

So I beat this, and while it was an extremely solid game, it was a tad underwhelming. Absolutely beautiful though, no questions there.

I personally felt the scope and feel of Gears 2 really nailed it so well that this game couldn't topple it. The set pieces weren't bad at all, but boy did 2 spoil me and leave me wanting a lot more. I wish so many questions weren't left open or untouched.. and not even in a mysterious way, I just feel like some plot points were ignored. The game honestly should have slowed down and gave a few more answers than it did.

Ah well, the game was a blast, just story wise I was left wanting more.

so after completing the game I have to say that the game was good no doubt about it.

however there where some issues I had.

1.The damn cut scenes, why was the craphics all blurry in most of them?

2. Issues with the story and how it was told, some parts I had no idea what was going on.

3. I was expecting an act that had some impressive areas "graphically" and with some cool effects but those never came.

4. all acts where the same, run, take cover and shoot enemies, it was all the same all the time. I wish we could have experienced something else at some point.

overall it was a fun time and I enjoyed it, but its not better than Gears 2.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I verbally went fuck yeah when they showed Carmine live.

Also, I avoided pretty much everything about this prerelease but I DO remember typing it into youtube and seeing "gears of war 3 baird dies", what started that?

JimiNutz

Banned
Finished this last night (been playing the amazing MP all week) and although I enjoyed it have some mixed feelings.

Gameplay wise I think it's the best campaign yet.
Some of the battles were so, well, Epic, and although I'd say I enjoyed fighting the Locusts the most; the Lambent added some much needed variety!

The Lambent humans were not much of a surprise for somebody that has read all of the novels since they heavily hinted towards it; but I enjoyed their arrival anyway.
The death of Dom was fantastic as well. When he put his tags on the grave, and gave Marcus his commando knife, I knew something was going down but I didn't expect it so soon and I must admit it gave me goosebumps :(
I think this is partly because I've read all of the novels though, and although this is the strongest entry storyline wise in the franchise; I couldn't help but think that many people would feel short changed at times.
I love the Gears novels and comics and will happily continue to read them for as long as they retain they're high quality, however I dont think you should HAVE to read them for the story to make sense.
Had I not read the books I'd ask, who the he is this lady with Hoffman? Where the hell have the UIR been, and why are they suddenly fighting alongside me?
Some of the story really felt rushed too, where the hell were Baird and Cole :(
I also thought I'd missed the death of Carmine until he randomly showed up at the end.

The biggest disapointment for me was probably the lack of Locust explanation.
I dont mind that they didnt explain everything, but really they explained nothing other than that they had been looking for a cure to the lambent infection for 15+ years with the help of Adam Fenix.
The ending also felt a little anti-climatic.
To Epics credit the ending was very 'final' there was no cop-out and I really got a sense that this was the end, however I think they could have killed more Gears for emotional impact (Baired or Cole). Wasn't there a strong rumour floating around that Baird died anyway (I actually read this 'spoilered' on YouTube accidently before the release of the game).

I know a lot of people think they should do a prequel trilogy next (they will no doubt continue the franchise at some point - its too successful to finish now), but I think they should do a Locust game! Have you play as different Locust and give their story some more depth this way (although I haven't worked out how the narritive would be effectively told since the sources seem mainly mute - maybe subtitle their own Locust 'language'?)

LiK

CitizenCope said:
Lambent humans? Come on now!
So sick of enemies like the Flood, zombies or other "infected" creatures.
Good game but that chapter just bummed me out.
Haha, yea. Another one of those mindless zombie suicide enemies. Glad they were kept to a minimum.

jackdoe

Strider2K99 said:
I'm also calling now that one of the DLCs will be a prequel that takes place before E-Day. Commando Dom anyone? If not, I hope future Gears games will be prequels.
Probably the Adam Fenix rescue mission. They already have the entire mansion on the disc.

NubInaTub said:
To what Seth posted earlier:

"She's a descendant of the scientists who first studied imulsion-infected miners at the outpost in G2."

My guess is if she was a descendant of scientists, then she knew all about Adam Fenix and what he could do, went to him asking him to find a cure for the lambent, when he couldn't, the locust were forced to come above ground on what would become e-day.

I don't know, something like that maybe.
It fits, yes. I thought something like that myself.

The burning question now is what is Myrrah's motive for all this. Why does she embrace the Locust and renounce being part of the human race? You know how she's all "you humans this" and "you humans that" throughout the games, and has nothing but hate and contempt for them.

One can disagree with all the dirty little secrets the government was keeping in New Hope (the human miners mutating due to Imulsion exposure being studied and kept in the dark), but she would have to disagree TOO strongly to just abandon her human heritage and crown herself Queen Locust.

I guess it's obvious that something really personal must have happened to her that made her betray her entire kind and sympathize with the Locust like that.

On a different note, the same developer gave us more clues about the Locust and what they are (ain't it obvious at this point?).

Here's what he said:

Without spelling it all out, let's just say that the sires were the first warning that people could become affected/infected by imulsion. The COG didn't want that to get out to the general public, so they took all of the people who were showing signs of this out to the kadar outpost from G2 (new hope facility).

Things didn't go well for some of those subjects, and most of you ended up shooting THEM with a shotgun. But the scientists ditched that place long ago and took a large group up of the "test subjects" to kadar, as was shown in that video marcus & dom watched in the rude awakening chapter.

Remember, he said they were saving the children. They thought they could save them by taking them deep inside the mountain, never to be found by humans again.

Eventually, some of the scientists took most of the subjects up to mount kadar, thinking they would be killed when the COG found out about the crazy mutations and what not that imulsion causes.

Remember, the video from niles said something like "save the children.. that's basically what we're trying to do". It's the children of the miners they're talking about. The scientists thought they might be born mutants and that the gov't would want to kill them.

They were sealed inside of Mount Kadar, and nobody heard from them for a long, long time...

Think of the sires as locust 1.0... or 0.5 or something. We've only really hinted at it, but if you pay close attention to origins and rude awakening in G2, you can pick up on some of this stuff.

Also, just think about what the word 'sires' means in the traditional sense.

And this one's from back when they were about to release Gears 1:

Without giving away too much of the story, the Locust know english because they are former surface-dwellers.

I'd say mystery solved, pretty much. :p

LowParry

vodka-bull said:
Not in case you read the novels, because Marcus' mother died.

That's just it. It could been the story Marcus was told but not the whole truth. So many different ways it could of been told. But life moves on.

Poor Dom though :( I kinda feel bad now about what they did to him. But that particular scene wasn't screaming out at me as "desperate times call for desperate measures".

Valravn

I think this is the first game i played where co-op mode is actually harder than solo. It seems the game is much more unforgiving when you get downed in co-op mode.

About Dom; i expected him to die since he had given up on life. The way they did it was quite moving, i must say. That mad world theme sometimes plays during the Gridlock map.

The_Monk

Just finished Act III going to start Act IV soon, so far 2 console freezes... Somebody else got this problem? Oh and a bug where when I pressed B to cut of some wood from a door the wood stuck with my body for a few minutes...

On the game:

I can't believe Dom died, I mean, wasn't sad enough for Maria, now he's gone? I'm still playing so I'll avoid this thread. Game looks amazing so far, glad to be enjoying the game it's been a long time since I sit and play a single player.

Playing on Hardcore and only got a few deaths... I'm no good player and I'm afraid when the final boss arrives. I heard It's a pain and I was hoping I could finish on Hardcore. Let's see..!

I'm hoping one of the campaign DLCs (do we even know if there's more than one planned?) follows Cole and Baird finding the Gorasni. I love those guys in the books and want to see them.

I also want more Hoffman and Bernie... but I guess the other obvious segment will be Griffin settling scores with Marcus.

Overall I thought the story was very poorly executed and the voice acting was very weak. I enjoy Chloe for the most part in Uncharted 2, so I hope Claudia Black puts more effort into UC3 then she obviously did with Gears 3. Most of her dialogue was very flat, though this may have been due in large part to the autrocious lines she was required to deliver.

The lambent are a pretty shitty enemy type. I will qualify that by stating that I hate the Flood and zombies in general. A few of the lambent types are o.k. but the sections against human-lambent are incredibly boring. AI also seems to be pretty weak (Hardcore, no Insane time played) which makes the lambent enemies even less engaging as they tend to just stand around in one spot and shoot at you.

In the end the game comes off as creatively bankrupt, borrowing heavily from other games, throwing in a bunch of shitty gimmick gameplay segments and tied it together with a poorly developed wanna-be emotional story. Some parts were great fun and I am sure MP is where it will shine, but as far as SP is concerned, I definitely liked Gears 2 better.

The engine is also looking very dated at this point. There weren't really any parts in the game that wowed me visually - a lot of the texture and model work looked pretty bland. I guess I am ready for a new generation of hardware...

Seth Balmore said:
It fits, yes. I thought something like that myself.

The burning question now is what is Myrrah's motive for all this. Why does she embrace the Locust and renounce being part of the human race? You know how she's all "you humans this" and "you humans that" throughout the games, and has nothing but hate and contempt for them.

One can disagree with all the dirty little secrets the government was keeping in New Hope (the human miners mutating due to Imulsion exposure being studied and kept in the dark), but she would have to disagree TOO strongly to just abandon her human heritage and crown herself Queen Locust.

I guess it's obvious that something really personal must have happened to her that made her betray her entire kind and sympathize with the Locust like that.

On a different note, the same developer gave us more clues about the Locust and what they are (ain't it obvious at this point?).

Here's what he said:

And this one's from back when they were about to release Gears 1:

I'd say mystery solved, pretty much. :p

I actually really like that explanation. It also explains why all the creatures living underground are so much larger and more monstrous than those living on the surface, the Brumak etc. I'm assuming humans moved underground thousands of years ago and mutated into the Locust.

This also leaves me wondering why the Lambent have only become a problem recently, since Myrrah tells Marcus that she gave his father 20 years to solve the Lambent problem. The Locust themselves don't seem to mine the imulsion, whilst the humans do and fought a long war over it. The lambent problem also seems to coincide with this war, so it would seem to me that the imulsion evolved the lambent as a defence mechanism to protect itself from being mined by the humans by consuming and destroying other lifeforms. Since the imulsion is alive but not intelligent, it began to attack the Locust first since they were nearer, forcing Myrrah to turn to Adam Fenix to try and solve the problem. When he failed she attacked the surface to try and escape the imulsion. So really everything is the humans fault after all by mining and 'killing' the living imulsion in the first place :\

Robot Pants

Really felt that getting to Act 5 took way too long. Act 5 should have been the middle of the game with a BIG reveal, and the rest should have been a rollercoaster ride to the finish.
Too many fetch quests.
Also I don't understand why they decided to introduce these new characters (Jace, Sam, to some extent Bernie) when they really had no purpose. No backstory, nothing that really makes them stand out. Especially in the third/last game. I suppose they are better characters in the books, but man this is the final act. I rather hear the banter between the original four. You know, the guys I've been with since the beginning. My REAL brothers (to the end). Isn't what this was about? I mean if Baird and Cole had been with me when Dom died, it would have had a lot more impact.
But besides the story, the graphics were really astonishing. Gameplay was great, too.
Although on insane you can see some really bad encounter design. A big one that comes to mind is the top of the tower when trying to hijack the barge....

Sir Hamish said:
it would seem to me that the imulsion evolved the lambent as a defence mechanism to protect itself from being mined by the humans by consuming and destroying other lifeforms.

[...]

So really everything is the humans fault after all by mining and 'killing' the living imulsion in the first place :\
Yeah, I've had this exact same idea for a long time. The novels kinda hint at it if you are willing to interpret things that way. The imulsion's a living thing retaliating after years of being exploited... fits, doesn't it?

Seth Balmore said:
Yeah, I've had this exact same idea for a long time. The novels kinda hint at it if you are willing to interpret things that way. The imulsion's a living thing retaliating after years of being exploited... fits, doesn't it?

Yeah I think it fit's perfectly. There are no villains really, everyone is just trying to survive.

I guess the Queen is a villain, since she choose to wage genocidal war against the humans instead of reasoning with them and enlightening them about the dangers of using imulsion. In the end her own, arguably justified, distrust of the human race led to the extinction of the Locust, imulsion and the decimation of the human race. This makes her a much more interesting and sympathetic antagonist and her treatment in Gears 3 the one major misstep in an otherwise excellent story. In Gears 2 she was elegant and mysterious, whilst in Gears 3 she was locked up in crude masculine battle armour and her back story was sadly not explored.

Tawpgun

Sir Hamish said:
Yeah I think it fit's perfectly. There are no villains really, everyone is just trying to survive.

I guess the Queen is a villain, since she choose to wage genocidal war against the humans instead of reasoning with them and enlightening them about the dangers of using imulsion. In the end her own, arguably justified, distrust of the human race led to the extinction of the Locust, imulsion and the decimation of the human race. This makes her a much more interesting and sympathetic antagonist and her treatment in Gears 3 the one major misstep in an otherwise excellent story. In Gears 2 she was elegant and mysterious, whilst in Gears 3 she was locked up in crude masculine battle armour and her back story was sadly not explored.
Sounds like the Prophet of Truth from Halo 2 to Halo 3....

Went from being this devious mastermind to stereotypical evil guy.

FHIZ

Moaradin said:
Dom's death got me by surprise. I kinda expected him to die, but not halfway through the game, and Mad World totally got me also.

Mad World was the nail in the coffin for me.

I really did like the ending. Just end it, no "ITS NOT OVER!" post credits crap, just the end, and that's it.

Question, was there stuff in the Gears novels and comics to suggest Anya and Marcus have the hots for each other? I had that thought in my head, but never saw anything to base it off of until the final scene, so it was kind of surprising.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Sounds like the Prophet of Truth from Halo 2 to Halo 3....

Went from being this devious mastermind to stereotypical evil guy.

Yeah that's a pretty excellent comparison. I can sorta understand why she sorta devolved into a maniacal villain, she's terrified her people will be wiped out, but we don't really understand the context, the toll the decisions she has made have had on her and the scope of her hatred and distrust of the humans. It would have been more interesting if her anger near the end had been replaced with terror when she realized what was going to happen, she could have been begging or pleading with Adam to spare her people, instead of threatening him. Trying to convince him that the humans deserved to die and the Locust deserved to live. Instead she was a ranting villain and it felt like a missed opportunity.

robertsan21 said:
1.The damn cut scenes, why was the craphics all blurry in most of them?.

a major bugbear of mine with all the gears game. The FMV are all horrible thanks to DVD9. Its quite disappointing in all of them - Everytime you finish a Gears game; after hours of pretty fantastic visuals; you get this grainy, pixellated denouement.

Seth Balmore said:

One of the things that I noted: and kind of amused me - didn't really register til chapter 5 in the post adam fenix corridor when the stalk crashed into the window and birthed lambents. So you use the turrent and shoot them all to death. Then you walk out... and there's a whole bunch of hammerburst guns on the ground. I'd like to know how an organic based lifeform can create mechanical weaponry and arm its troops that way. They should have made some organic weaponry to suit.

Pachterballs said:
a major bugbear of mine with all the gears game. The FMV are all horrible thanks to DVD9. Its quite disappointing in all of them - Everytime you finish a Gears game; after hours of pretty fantastic visuals; you get this grainy, pixellated denouement.

One of the things that I noted: and kind of amused me - didn't really register til chapter 5 in the post adam fenix corridor when the stalk crashed into the window and birthed lambents. So you use the turrent and shoot them all to death. Then you walk out... and there's a whole bunch of hammerburst guns on the ground. I'd like to know how an organic based lifeform can create mechanical weaponry and arm its troops that way. They should have made some organic weaponry to suit.

Aren't the drones already inside the stalk and using it as a form of transport? Instead of the stalk directly spawning them. I was always under the impression they were inside it already, or were traveling up from under the ground through it.

The_Monk

Ok I beat it today GAF, this is my first MP Gears, but I've completely the other SP games.

Really liked it, died a couple of time in the end but that's ok. Too bad Dom couldn't make it, I was worried if any of the girls would die... glad they didn't.

Watching the credits right now, always liked the way the put everyone with their photos thanking their family and suport.

Now...I'm not a big follower on GEARS news and the franchise itself but...is this the final Gears?

Are they going make a prequel or something? Or this is the final game? Thanks for answering. ;)

RIP Dom :'( :( too soon, he should have least died near the end of the game

haha i agree with people saying that Jace was the worst character in the game , useless , should have let me be dizzy and he watch the truck

jackdoe said:
Speaking of which, if she's a "Queen", does that mean that she birthed the entire Locust race?

whos the king then? :O Gears 4, wait , wasn't the king in the first one? idk i don't remember that.

The_Monk said:
Ok I beat it today GAF, this is my first MP Gears, but I've completely the other SP games.

Really liked it, died a couple of time in the end but that's ok. Too bad Dom couldn't make it, I was worried if any of the girls would die... glad they didn't.

Watching the credits right now, always liked the way the put everyone with their photos thanking their family and suport.

Now...I'm not a big follower on GEARS news and the franchise itself but...is this the final Gears?

Are they going make a prequel or something? Or this is the final game? Thanks for answering. ;)
Probably won't be the last
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445625

Top Bottom