• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 cashes in with expensive UIR pack

Moofers

So Gears 4 released a new character/weapon skin pack today featuring outfits and weapon skins from the UIR faction of the game, previously only mentioned in conversation or shown outside of the actual games via comics and expanded lore. That in itself is not really news, but I think the approach is worth discussing here since it has also blown up on Reddit and the official Gears forums.The packs cost either $10 or 4400 credits, which is the currency you earn from playing either VS multiplayer or Horde mode online. Many players are upset and feel the asking price for these packs is a bit insulting, considering other packs such as the Carmine pack and Holiday pack cost 200 and 400 credits respectively.

So what's in them? Players can buy a single pack which contains 5 cards in it, only 3 of which are guaranteed to be from the UIR theme and the other 2 cards being from the standard launch card set. There are 30 total cards in the UIR set, so in order to get them all, you'd need to buy 10 packs and not get a single duplicate the entire time. Players who have bought previous pay-only packs such as the esports packs have recorded video of them opening 25-30 packs and still not getting the one skin they were looking for (usually esports Kait) since the chance to get duplicates is very high.

Sounds fine since there is a free option, right? Well the pack is only available for 24 hours and if you started with no credits and just played the most lucrative game mode in VS, you'd have to play for 24 hours straight in order to earn enough credits to buy 3 of these packs. Alternatively, you could organize a dedicated horde team to play nonstop and speedrun the mode for a day and earn enough credits to buy 8 packs. That's a little better obviously but not everyone has the connections to gather a team with that kind of time OR skill. Most likely you'll be playing with randoms and suffering drops after wave 20, which has been a problem for some time with this game. Simply put, by putting a 1-day limit on the item, you are pressuring players who are short on credits to just buy them with real cash.

Yes, this stuff is only cosmetic, however the Gears community has been begging for this stuff as well as other legacy skins since the game launched. The skins included at launch were pretty limited, especially when compared directly to other Gears games. Some of us would be happy enough with a straight port of the assets from Gears: Ultimate Edition since just about all the Gears 3 character skins got an HD update for that game. It is also worth noting that these UIR characters are already in the game. These aren't newly created assets. The very first chapter of the game has you fighting these characters so they have been modeled and done since the game was in development. I think trying to make the argument that it is content that was created later doesn't hold water in this case.

So Gears fans, what do you think? Are you going to get a UIR pack? Do you not care? Are you contemplating selling your copy?

Personally, I think I'm going to take a break from the game for a while over this. I really love Gears and I think its been a good time, but I just don't like the message this pack sends. The Coalition has told us they are listening to the fan base and they have all this great stuff in store for us, but then they go and do the opposite of what fans are asking for. If this was a $10 pack that gave you all the UIR skins, I think a lot of people would feel better about it and there wouldn't be all this uproar. Gears of War 3 had a ton of possible microtransactions, but at least if you wanted one, you could just buy it and own it. The way Gears 4 does it, you're buying a lottery ticket that may or may not get you the thing you want. Again, I understand you can use in game credits. But if they are going to make the packs this expensive going forward, it will make the experience sting that much more when you just want the Character X skin and you don't get it after all that time saving up credits. Plus you only had a day to buy it so if you're out on vacation or something then I guess you can fuck off?

I'm waiting for the locust to come back to horde mode and for my favorite old characters to make their return. This UIR pack gives me the impression that all bets are off and if the stuff I'm waiting for ever comes out, I'll have to do this expensive lottery stuff just to get them. I'm so not interested in that.

Any type of 'loot crate' system that's loaded with RNG in a game you already paid for is generally a hard pass from me. Titanfall 2 did it right. Like a certain skin, etc.? Just buy it.

Lucifon

4400 credits?! Earn about 50-70 for a normal length game. So by that calculation it's about 62 games without level up bonuses for one of these rng boxes that could contain trash.

I don't get their strategy with this game, I can only assume people are buying this stuff. Their unrewarding and clearly micro transaction driven approach has soured me on the game completely to the point where I don't even want to play it.

Theorry

There has been alot of great and very cheap skins and packs the whole time. The Christmas one is very cheap wich is happening now.just for 400 credits wich is one 2 matches really can can get a pack.

Each pack will cost 400 Credits, and includes one Bounty and two special Gearsmas items from the list below.

3 "Ugly Gearsmas Armor" Characters - JD, Kait and Swarm Drone
4x Gingerbread Weapon Skins
4x Festive Tree Weapon Skins
4x Snowman Weapon Skins
4x JD Wrapping Paper Weapon Skins
4x Kait Wrapping Paper Weapon Skins
4x Swarm Wrapping Paper Weapon Skins
1 Commemorative Gearsmas Emblem

Or the Carmine pack. For 200 credits.

Obtainable exclusively through gameplay, each 200 Credit pack contains one 10 Years of Gears customization item, one 10 Years of Gears Emblem or bounty, and a random card from the Gears of War 4 Launch Series of Cards. The full list of content can be found below:

Gary Carmine Character
Anthony Carmine Longshot
Benjamin Carmine Gnasher
Clayton Carmine Lancer
10 Years of Gears Lancer
10 Years of Gears Hammerburst
10 Years of Gears Retro Lancer
10 Years of Gears Markza Mk. 1
10 Years of Gears Enforcer
Gary Carmine Emblem
10 Years of Gears Emblem
5 Bounties, each themed to a Gears of War game

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Gears 4 has absurdly predatory micro transactions and it is a glaring sore spot on an otherwise fantastic game.

My own take, I stopped playing because of this.

How can you call the game fantastic yet stop playing over cosmetic stuff? This stuff is for the super hardcore. If they want to blow $$ on it more power to them.

bumpkin

The vitriol is real on Twitter right now over it. Rod Ferguson tweeted about a sandwich shop he found while visiting Raleigh, and not a single reply has to do with the shop. It's people going off on him about the price of the packs, saying he should quit The Coalition, basically just a lot of mean-spirited shit. It's sad.

Lucifon

You stopped playing over the way optional skins are sold?

It makes the game feel completely unrewarding. It has the opposite effect. By making rng unlocks locked behind grindy methods unless you pay real money just makes the whole thing feel unrewarding and frustrating. It certainly doesn't make me want to give them any money.

Moofers

Shocker, but some people enjoy playing the game with new skins and audio clips. The "progress" you make by earning these is severely hamstrung by the RNG system and the high amount of credits needed just to try to unlock them, so without that incentive a lot of players become demotivated and move on to other games. Like us.

Lothars

How can you call the game fantastic yet stop playing over cosmetic stuff? This stuff is for the super hardcore. If they want to blow $$ on it more power to them.
It's pretty insulting to gears fans in general when they do something like this at such an expensive price but I don't blame anyone that would stop playing this because them pulling things like this.

It also makes getting these packs if you don't want to spend the outrageous price of 10 bucks a pack pretty difficult especially since it's only available for 24 hours.

Theorry

It makes the game feel completely unrewarding. It has the opposite effect. By making rng unlocks locked behind grindy methods unless you pay real money just makes the whole thing feel unrewarding and frustrating. It certainly doesn't make me want to give them any money.

There are alot of packs since the release wich did exact that. Very easy to get ingame. But people like the single out "hardcore" packs the whole time like those are the only ones. Bit of a shame really. :)

Lothars

There are alot of packs since the release wich did exact that. Very easy to get ingame. But people like the single out "hardcore" packs the whole time like those are the only ones. Bit of a shame really. :)
Which they should. They have done some good with the 10 anniversary packs and the christmas packs making the price reasonable. This is not reasonable at all to charge what they are for the UIR packs.

Moofers

There has been alot of great and very cheap skins and packs the whole time. The Christmas one is very cheap wich is happening now.just for 400 credits wich is one 2 matches really can can get a pack.

Each pack will cost 400 Credits, and includes one Bounty and two special Gearsmas items from the list below.

3 "Ugly Gearsmas Armor" Characters - JD, Kait and Swarm Drone
4x Gingerbread Weapon Skins
4x Festive Tree Weapon Skins
4x Snowman Weapon Skins
4x JD Wrapping Paper Weapon Skins
4x Kait Wrapping Paper Weapon Skins
4x Swarm Wrapping Paper Weapon Skins
1 Commemorative Gearsmas Emblem

Or the Carmine pack. For 200 credits.

Obtainable exclusively through gameplay, each 200 Credit pack contains one 10 Years of Gears customization item, one 10 Years of Gears Emblem or bounty, and a random card from the Gears of War 4 Launch Series of Cards. The full list of content can be found below:

Gary Carmine Character
Anthony Carmine Longshot
Benjamin Carmine Gnasher
Clayton Carmine Lancer
10 Years of Gears Lancer
10 Years of Gears Hammerburst
10 Years of Gears Retro Lancer
10 Years of Gears Markza Mk. 1
10 Years of Gears Enforcer
Gary Carmine Emblem
10 Years of Gears Emblem
5 Bounties, each themed to a Gears of War game

True, but to be fair none of this was stuff that the main fanbase was asking for. Gary Carmine? Who the hell is that? Where's Anthony, Benjamin, and Clayton? We can only assume they're being saved for the "Carmine Cash Grab Pack!" for $10 down the road. Also the 10 years pack was available for a limited time. Longer than a day unlike the UIR pack, but still just for a limited time which is another layer of obstacle between players and the things they try to work to unlock.

This kind of loot system is there for the 1% with zero care for everyone else, even the long time fans.

The system itself isn't THAT bad, but slapping a limited timer and high in-game credit cost is what makes it a huge issue.

Theorry

True, but to be fair none of this was stuff that the main fanbase was asking for. Gary Carmine? Who the hell is that? Where's Anthony, Benjamin, and Clayton? We can only assume they're being saved for the "Carmine Cash Grab Pack!" for $10 down the road. Also the 10 years pack was available for a limited time. Longer than a day unlike the UIR pack, but still just for a limited time which is another layer of obstacle between players and the things they try to work to unlock.

We can assume all we want. ;)
My point is really that is made out that the whole system is terrible the whole time. I agree that this one is abit to much. But there has been great cheap packs also. :)

Yes. The entire progression system is based around it, and I didn't want to support it any further. There's plenty out there for me to play and support that doesn't do this to its player base.

It's the "only available for 24 hours/3 days/etc" stuff that's predatory given the RNG system they use. It's not a system made to sell something a player wants to them, it's a system made to get as much money from a player as you can while holding back enough of what they actually want to keep them spending. The insultingly slow rate at which you earn in game credits doesn't help.

Yes the game is fun, yes I liked it, and yes I get that I could ignore it and just use the few skins I got for free. I'm choosing not to. I hate the practice, so I took myself out of their player pool.

Sounds fine since there is a free option, right? Well the pack is only available for 24 hours and if you started with no credits and just played the most lucrative game mode in VS, you'd have to play for 24 hours straight in order to earn enough credits to buy 3 of these packs.

Coalition can gtfo of here with that

Lucifon

I'll never understand how can be so important for someone optional/cosmetic skins to decide to stop playing...
I'll never understand this thought process - these systems can and have been implemented in many games in a way that feels rewarding and beneficial to everyone. Why wouldn't you want that?

Personally I thought halo 5 nailed the time to earn rewards to the point where you become tempted to drop a dime here or there on things. This however just makes me not want to support the game in any way.

RoKKeR

Amazing how bad the MTX's turned out to be in this game after it was handled relatively well with Halo 5. (and seemingly was quite successful)

Megatron

RNG for something you pay for is just wrong in games. "But it's cosmetic" is a bs excuse.

Its the way of the world now. Buying a game gives you access to the game, not everything they create after. The nice thing about gears 4 is the game gets you everything you need to play the game. Even the season pass is exclusively for hosting, and is not needed for those of us who want to play the maps for free. You want prettier weapons than the other players? I am fine with that being behind a paywall.

I haven't bought a Gears game since 3 but I still remember my disappointment when Rod was like "uh, guys remember when we revealed like 30 weapon skins? Yeah the only way to get them is to pay real money now, haha"

combined with a season pass that was kinda a slap in the face, seems it's only gotten worse from there

Mr. Robot

My usual line of thinking is this:

1. Is the game good? Yes (proceed to 2nd question), No (fuck them)
2. Is the item cosmetic and doesn't give an advantage? Yes (proceed to 3rd question), No (fuck them)
3. Is there a way to get it for free? Yes (ok, let the people that can afford to pay, support the devs for making a good game, next time save some credits to get them for free), No (kinda, fuck them)

5taquitos

Its the way of the world now. Buying a game gives you access to the game, not everything they create after. The nice thing about gears 4 is the game gets you everything you need to play the game. Even the season pass is exclusively for hosting, and is not needed for those of us who want to play the maps for free. You want prettier weapons than the other players? I am fine with that being behind a paywall.

Skins behind MTs is fine (i guess), but even the most staunch supporters would surely see a one day limit at jacked-up prices of ingame currency with a high likelihood of duplicates as incredibly predatory.

Moofers

Why did you get it then?

Can't speak for him, but I got the version with the pass for a few reasons. The biggest one was that I wanted to be able to play Horde on any map I wanted at any time. I didn't find out until after launch that horde is online only, so owning the season pass is somewhat pointless for me since I wanted to play the mode offline at times and owning the maps was specifically so I wouldn't have a watered down experience because I couldn't connect to the servers. I also play with my brother via split-screen couch co-op and when we paused for lunch one time, we got kicked out of our own private game due to inactivity. So yeah, we had a pretty different idea of what horde was going to be exactly.

I also bought the more expensive version because I'm a big fan of the series and I wanted to support its big return. I wanted to send a message to MS and The Coalition that said "I'm here and I'm ready!". The response I'm getting with these packs has been a resounding "Hope you brought your wallet!".

Can't speak for him, but I got the version with the pass for a few reasons. The biggest one was that I wanted to be able to play Horde on any map I wanted at any time. I didn't find out until after launch that horde is online only, so owning the season pass is somewhat pointless for me since I wanted to play the mode offline at times and owning the maps was specifically so I wouldn't have a watered down experience because I couldn't connect to the servers. I also play with my brother via split-screen couch co-op and when we paused for lunch one time, we got kicked out of our own private game due to inactivity. So yeah, we had a pretty different idea of what horde was going to be exactly.

I also bought the more expensive version because I'm a big fan of the series and I wanted to support its big return. I wanted to send a message to MS and The Coalition that said "I'm here and I'm ready!". The response I'm getting with these packs has been a resounding "Hope you brought your wallet!".

That's exactly why I bought the pass. I suppose I missed that information before buying the more expensive version of the game, but I had several previous entries in the series to establish my expectations on. There was no reason I should've expected Horde to be online only.

Theorry

Isn't it mostly so you can play the new dlc maps in private matches without relying on the matchmaking rotation?

it's rather dumb.

So its dumb that there isnt really a reason to put down extra money for the season pass?
I would be happy with that. Instead only way to get new maps is to pay for a 40 bucks season pass.

Can you blame them? Blizzard Waifu Simulator gets away with this behavior, and we're now forbidden on those threads from discussing what a disgusting practice it is. Why shouldn't Microsoft, or any developer for that matter, attempt to mimic Blizzard's predatory practices?

Megatron

Skins behind MTs is fine (i guess), but even the most staunch supporters would surely see a one day limit at jacked-up prices of ingame currency with a high likelihood of duplicates as incredibly predatory.

What are you referring to specifically? A one day limit of what to buy what?

Moofers

That's exactly why I bought the pass. I suppose I missed that information before buying the more expensive version of the game, but I had several previous entries in the series to establish my expectations on. There was no reason I should've expected Horde to be online only.

Exactly. I'm right there with you on that one. Pez from TC told me in another thread here that the connection to the server is how the game manages to have so many enemies and items on screen at one time. Apparently some of the work is done on that end and it wouldn't be the same otherwise. That didn't make a ton of sense to me at first when I compared it to Gears 3 which manages to do a lot at one time with no connection, but I'm not a programmer so really what the hell do I know. I always assumed it was because of the way the gear packs are tied to being connected to the store, but I guess that's not the case.

I hope for Gears 5 they figure out a way to make horde playable offline again. They are missing out by not having LAN parties at things like PAX or other gaming expos. That's how you grow communities. But at this rate who knows if we'll see a Gears 5. They might piss everyone off to the point where the game doesn't recover.

...what the fuck

why is horde always online?

The entire economy of the multiplayer really turned me off of it. Too many packs and currencies and cards and skins and loadouts and on and on and on. Pricing seemed high and the quality of the rewards seemed low. I played dozens of hours of Gears 3 Horde mode, and just a single full match of Gears 4.

Can you blame them? Blizzard Waifu Simulator gets away with this behavior, and we're now forbidden on those threads from discussing what a disgusting practice it is. Why shouldn't Microsoft, or any developer for that matter, attempt to mimic Blizzard's predatory practices?

The way Blizzard handles loot boxes is still miles ahead of this.

For one you can buy any item directly with in-game credits.

Second the game has no paid DLC whatsoever.

Thirdly the game is pretty upfront, there's only one form of currency and it's good for anything.

I actually like how you're not able to buy items directly with real money in OW, that way as someone who doesn't buy loot boxes I still feel like I "earned" my skins. I'd dislike it if any random dude could whip out his wallet and buy my favorite legendaries that I worked towards for instance.

The difference is that Overwatch has a SINGLE box and not fourteen thousand, the price seems fine, and the art design on their skins is ten times as interesting as anything I've seen from Gears.

The way Blizzard handles loot boxes is still miles ahead of this.

For one you can buy any item directly with in-game credits.

Second the game has no paid DLC whatsoever.

Thirdly the game is pretty upfront, there's only one form of currency and it's good for anything.

These are also very good, relevant points.

Theorry

Overwatch isnt perfect also. Like the World Cup stuff and Halloween stuff you cant get anymore. Until maybe next year or over 4 years when there is a new World Cup..

because i wanted to support them?

Still no reason to expect more from the season pass then was advertised right? I mean they never said you get discount or something on packs with the season pass.

Overwatch isnt perfect also. Like the World Cup stuff and Halloween stuff you cant get anymore. Until maybe next year or over 4 years when there is a new World Cup..

They've said the summer games event is coming back next year and that the skins from this year will go back on sale next year.

I'm sure the Summer Games skins are gonna be every Summer, they didn't specify "Olympics" or "World Cup". I doubt they'd wait 4 years to have another Summer event.

And while I'd definitely like to have more permanent skins, I can also see why Blizzard does event items.

They did fuck up by not having Summer skins buyable with credits though, however they rectified that in the last two events.

Top Bottom