• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 cashes in with expensive UIR pack

Theorry

They've said the summer games event is coming back next year and that the skins from this year will go back on sale next year.

I'm sure the Summer Games skins are gonna be every Summer, they didn't specify "Olympics" or "World Cup". I doubt they'd wait 4 years to have another Summer event.

And while I'd definitely like to have more permanent skins, I can also see why Blizzard does event items.
Ah oke thats better then. Still locked for a year tho.

I get really salty when i see that Lucio brazil skin. And there is no way to get it now haha.

aBarreras

Overwatch isnt perfect also. Like the World Cup stuff and Halloween stuff you cant get anymore. Until maybe next year or over 4 years when there is a new World Cup..

Still no reason to expect more from the season pass then was advertised right? I mean they never said you get discount or something on packs with the season pass.

they already said that they want to add more value to the season pass, buuuuut the only thing they did was add extra xp and credits on the developers list

I haven't bought a Gears game since 3 but I still remember my disappointment when Rod was like "uh, guys remember when we revealed like 30 weapon skins? Yeah the only way to get them is to pay real money now, haha"

combined with a season pass that was kinda a slap in the face, seems it's only gotten worse from there

Gears of War 3's season pass was excellent value. You got a bucket load of new maps, skins and characters... you even got a mini-campaign set before the events of the first game.

The Gears of War 4 season pass is awful value.

It's in-game purchases are also shameful - though I don't care about cosmetics myself.

However, I do wonder how much control The Coalition have over pricing.

It's shame because I think, shoddy business practices aside, it can proudly stand up against any game in the series... even if it's not the best.

oo7

My response to the idiotic pricing of the UIR packs.

"I'm all for devs making money after the fact but come on fellas. That ***** doesn't warrant a $10 price tag and you know it. You guys are going to do all you can to dwarf this community aren't you? This outcry shouldn't be a surprise. You've gauged your audience, seen the outrage on the message boards, and still throw out that high dollar price tag for some cosmetics.

$5 a pack and people would have been singing your praises. $10 a pack and you see the result.

10000 purchases at $5 a pack or less than half of that at $10 a pack.

Be smart, make your stuff more appealing and you'll still bring in the money ffs. "

Gears is my game, I defend all their pricing schemes and whatnot, but man, $10 for this shit is wild. $10 for a chance at a character skin.

Theorry

Gears of War 3's season pass was excellent value. You got a bucket load of new maps, skins and characters... you even got a mini-campaign set before the event she of the first game.

It's in-game purchases are also shameful - though I don't care about cosmetics myself.

It's shame because I think, shoddy business practices aside, it can proudly stand up against any game in the series... even if it's not the best.

Both season passes are abit different tho. With Gears 4 maps being free.

Gears of War 3's season pass was excellent value. You got a bucket load of new maps, skins and characters... you even got a mini-campaign set before the event she of the first game.

Oh no doubt, I loved the Gears 3 season pass. I'm just saying it was disappointing when they revealed pretty much all the release weapon skins were locked behind a permanent paywall despite teasing them earlier.

TRios Zen

I love Gears, always have and a number of the guys I still play on Live with are friends I met playing Gears 1 ten years ago or whateverr.

I have supported the Gears franchise by buying every game and DLC through Gears 4 (am a season pass holder). I won't spend a penny on skins though, sorry Microsoft. If I can't buy the packs naturally through game-play earned credits, I won't get them.

Allforce

I have to wonder if this stuff is priced in response to poor sales. From the NPD leaks Gears 4 was confirmed to have sold worse than Judgment in terms of copies AND it's been basically 30 bucks or less pretty consistently since shortly after it launched.

MS paid a bundle for the Gears IP, the game is widely considered to be a great Gears game but they can't be happy with the lukewarm sales reception.

Theorry

I have to wonder if this stuff is priced in response to poor sales. From the NPD leaks Gers 4 was confirmed to have sold worse than Judgment in terms of copies AND it's been basically 30 bucks or less pretty consistently since shortly after it launched.

MS paid a bundle for the Gears IP, the game is good but they can't be happy with the lukewarm sales reception to what by all accounts is a very good Gears game.

Nah even Battefield wich has Premium pass just started selling Battlepacks for money.
And Battlefield sells great.

It just doesn't even matter how cheap this game might get, I will never purchase it because of shit like this and all of the other microtransaction bullshit that goes on in these types of games.

RedStep

One one hand, the raising of prices after previous uproar is pretty bold.

On the other hand, these are pretty ugly. The Gearsmas pack is at least fun and at a much better price.

Not sure what their angle is with these being all over the place... I'll just skip them since I don't need 100 skins I'll never use, but it's still kind of baffling.

E92 M3

Look at how Respawn priced the MTs for Titanfall 2 and look at Gears. It's just pure greed. They would have gotten a ton of purchases at 5 dollars/pack.

Its the way of the world now. Buying a game gives you access to the game, not everything they create after. The nice thing about gears 4 is the game gets you everything you need to play the game. Even the season pass is exclusively for hosting, and is not needed for those of us who want to play the maps for free. You want prettier weapons than the other players? I am fine with that being behind a paywall.

I'm ok with them selling cosmetic stuff. But taking money and then gambling for stuff is shitty.

It's this slippery slope of microtransactions. Just keeps getting worse and worse. And of course the free map packs for everyone shuts people up. I would much rather have the free map packs and let them sell the cosmetics but none of this loot crate gambling bullshit

Johnohno

I don't understand how people can say the Gearsmas pack is fair tbh. The Carmine pack was 200 credits and gave 3 items. The Gearsmas is 400 and still only gives 3 items, yet I can spend 400 on Horde / Versus packs and get 5 items.

I really thought they'd turned a corner with the Carmine pack being so cheap, then they do shit like this crazy UIR price.

Imagine paying 8 quid and you get 5 cards, only 3 of which are actual items from the pack. AND you can get dupes. Crazy.

The stupid pack system in this game is terrible, period. I like free maps, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to saddle the game with predatory, unsatisfying crap like this. It absolutely makes me think negatively of the game as a whole, and guess what? When a game gives me bad thoughts I don't play it!

Ramenman

I'm generally in the camp of "why do you care just don't buy it" with both monetization and DLC, but here I agree this tastes a bit sour.

Probably something to do with the 24h limit AND impossibly high in-game currency price AND all other similar packs being way cheaper AND being not even sure to get what you want AND something the community has been waiting for AND assets that already existed.

Any of those in another order would probably pass, but it's like an explosive cocktail of questionable decisions that mix very badly together to make an ugly result, and I can see why the community invested in this game would see it as a dick move.

Moofers

I'm generally in the camp of "why do you care just don't buy it" with both monetization and DLC, but here I agree this tastes a bit sour.

Probably something to do with the 24h limit AND impossibly high in-game currency price AND all other similar packs being way cheaper AND being not even sure to get what you want AND something the community has been waiting for AND assets that already existed.

Any of those in another order would probably pass, but it's like an explosive cocktail of questionable decisions that mix very badly together to make an ugly result, and I can see why the community invested in this game would see it as a dick move.

Ding ding ding! This guy/gal gets it. Thank you!

Both season passes are abit different tho. With Gears 4 maps being free.

Fair point. I'm not really sure what they could have done with the season pass after they went with free map distribution.

I'm not smart enough to come up with anything exciting, but they also failed as well in my opinion.

Oh no doubt, I loved the Gears 3 season pass. I'm just saying it was disappointing when they revealed pretty much all the release weapon skins were locked behind a permanent paywall despite teasing them earlier.

Their success certainly paved the way for their implementation in Gears of War 4, that's for sure.

I wonder how Epic would have done it. Times have changed, but they were very good at offering value. They even teamed up with the Disocvery Channel in the past to protect players wallets.

Exactly and its been building since launch. Just one horrible decision after another. The community is exploding right now on official forums. Im glad it's getting attention. This needs to stop.

Syriel

can you add a tldr?

Game adds purely cosmetic rare items. Some people have no self-control and buy them for real money.

My thoughts:

Personally, I like the idea of items that are hard-to-get. Offers up a sense of exclusivity. Not having a skin doesn't change how the game plays, so no one is losing out.

If whales are willing to plunk down cash, more power to em.

Chumley

Banned
I'm getting fucking sick of these "you don't have to buy it" excuses for this shit.

You don't have to smell shit on the street either, doesn't mean it's not there. If people don't call these practices out for exactly what they are they'll only get worse. Bravo to people boycotting the game over it.

Game adds purely cosmetic rare items. Some people have no self-control and buy them for real money.

My thoughts:

Personally, I like the idea of items that are hard-to-get. Offers up a sense of exclusivity. Not having a skin doesn't change how the game plays, so no one is losing out.

If whales are willing to plunk down cash, more power to em.

The sense of exclusivity is not what's at issue here, it's the means of getting it, which is a direct fuck you to everyone but the 1%. You see someone running around with one of these skins, chances are they're just some rich schmuck lording it around everyone they're playing with. That's the kind of community this game is trying to build.

psyfi

Banned
I'm not a loot driven gamer at all, but it's fun to get cool cosmetics, and it's a bummer when the systems are stingy. I don't mind RNG, but there's a point where feel too unforgiving, especially when limited time skins are available. Halo 5 does it and so does Overwatch. I think we're going to see devs try something different soon, because I don't know anyone who likes it this way.

Leyasu

Banned
Gears has the most cynical microtransaction system I have seen to date in a game.

Absolutely disgusting

Moofers

The vitriol is real on Twitter right now over it. Rod Ferguson tweeted about a sandwich shop he found while visiting Raleigh, and not a single reply has to do with the shop. It's people going off on him about the price of the packs, saying he should quit The Coalition, basically just a lot of mean-spirited shit. It's sad.

He's gettin ethered out there.

"Does that sandwich shop let you pay $10 for a small chance at the sandwich you wanted?"

"I went to that shop, paid $10 and got 3 lower halves of a bun, 1 tomato slice, 1 lettuce leaf and my receipt"

Leyasu

Banned
Someone tweet Phil and ask him if he is ok with one of their flagship franchises blatantly fleecing it's fanbase

Moofers

Someone tweet Phil and ask him if he is ok with one of their flagship franchises blatantly fleecing it's fanbase

I did that earlier, though not in those exact words. No response but I linked to the official forums where people are foaming at the mouth so hopefully he sees that and calls for a phone conference.

Overwatch has two ways of unlocking stuff, one of them allowing exactly what you want (when it's not a themed event skin) using earned gold coins.

You can buy the event items now, but the legendary tier items are a ridiculous price of 3,000 in-game currency. Right now I am almost level 400 and have around 250 items to unlock still. Every normal loot box I open is usually 4 dupes. The currency they give you for a duplicate item is 5-25ish currency depending on the item tier. I hardly ever receive the 50-250 currency drops.

Event loot boxes are a tiny bit better I guess. I usually average 3 dupes and then one item from the event that is usually a Player Icon, or Spray and sometimes a Voice Line. For the Christmas event I bought 50 loot boxes and barely got anything. I may have got around 3,000 gold from drops and dupes, which can buy one Legendary Skin... For the low low price of $40. The only Legendary Skin I got from those 50 loot boxes was Mei's Legendary Skin four times. You'll never have enough currency to purchase much unless you buy tons of loot boxes or spend your entire life playing the game.

OW and Gears4 are pretty much inline with how scummy their unlock system is for a full priced game. Too bad I absolutely love OW.

The Coalition is doing everything in their power to throw their more casual fan base under the bus in order to cater to Esports.

Don't pretend this is just The Coalition. Lots of devs are doing this because it is making them a ton of money. If any game has done it right though it's Rainbow Six: Siege. Other devs need to take note before the masses get fed up with this.

hawk2025

This is the perfect storm of gambling with exploiting people's fear of missing out by creating a time-sensitive pressure.

It's gross, and I'm sorry, but you can't wave it off by saying it's just cosmetic. People see value in these even if you personally don't, and they are exploiting the hell out of that fact.

MarveI

I did that earlier, though not in those exact words. No response but I linked to the official forums where people are foaming at the mouth so hopefully he sees that and calls for a phone conference.

They don't reply when it doesn't suit them.

Clould helps with the amount of enemies on screen.

Hahahahaha. Sure.

Gears 3 horde had just as many enemies. Was that also locked behind online only ?

How about G4 season pass owners being kicked from their own solo horde game ? Can't even pause for a minute in a 3+ hour long marathon game mode. Is that because of that magical cloud too ?

jelly

Good to read there is a push back against this. You don't want this crap creeping into other games. Publishers will take notice.

Novocaine

I was hoping that they would have listened to the shit they got for the black steel packs. It seemed like it with the 10 year anniversary packs but I guess not.

There's really no defending the way this is being done. Halo 5 does it great, it's quick to earn currency to buy them, you get all kinds of bonus packs like login bonus packs and daily win packs. And if you want to drop some cash they're reasonably cheap.

Gears packs are expensive and don't give you anywhere near as much. Scrapping cards doesn't give you enough currency to make it worthwhile and you can get dupes of epic/legendary cards.

I really like Gears 4 but I'm just not going to support this kind of shit any more. It's left a bad enough taste in my mouth that I don't even feel like grinding for the Christmas packs.

MUnited83

For you.
Can you blame them? Blizzard Waifu Simulator gets away with this behavior, and we're now forbidden on those threads from discussing what a disgusting practice it is. Why shouldn't Microsoft, or any developer for that matter, attempt to mimic Blizzard's predatory practices?
That sounds like a terrible comparison.
Overwatch doesn't have the system on top of a Season Pass
It has no extra DLC
All can be bought with in-game earned credits
Seasonal skins can be gotten on a 2/3 week window, instead of a 24-hour one
Don't pretend this is just The Coalition. Lots of devs are doing this because it is making them a ton of money. If any game has done it right though it's Rainbow Six: Siege. Other devs need to take note before the masses get fed up with this.
I don't dislike Rainbow's Six method but it is worse than Overwatch. It gates actual gameplay content behind a paywall or grinding.

That sounds like a terrible comparison.
Overwatch doesn't have the system on top of a Season Pass
It has no extra DLC
All can be bought with in-game earned credits
Seasonal skins can be gotten on a 2/3 week window, instead of a 24-hour one

I don't dislike Rainbow's Six method but it is worse than Overwatch. It gates actual gameplay content behind a paywall or grinding.

Calling it a "waifu simulator" even if it might have been in jest was an indication that the poster had no real intentions of making a comparison in good faith.

Edit: And yes, OW is better than R6 Siege too. Like, much, much better. I still don't understand the pushback against OW's microtransactions, I play a shitton of mp shooters and it's by far one of the better implementations of post-release content recently. Really the only thing that comes close is Titanfall 2 but even TF2 has some cosmetics locked behind a permanent paywall that you can't get through gameplay.

aBarreras

They don't reply when it doesn't suit them.

Hahahahaha. Sure.

Gears 3 horde had just as many enemies. Was that also locked behind online only ?

How about G4 season pass owners being kicked from their own solo horde game ? Can't even pause for a minute in a 3+ hour long marathon game mode. Is that because of that magical cloud too ?

well, i rather believe the coalition than you, so yeah, cloud is used for the amount of enemies on horde

Selective pushback. If it's a truly loved dev like Blizzard people will just make up excuses for them.

24hr window $10 rng pack after people have spent credits on the christmas event they just introduced. Blizzard did this? No.

Season pass also on top of this to play private games of maps out of rotation, you don't need a season pass to do custom game maps in OW.

24hr window $10 rng pack after people have spent credits on the christmas event they just introduced. Blizzard did this? No.

Season pass also on top of this to play private games of maps out of rotation, you don't need a season pass to do custom game maps in OW.

I didn't know we were talking about season passes now. I'm talking about their content unlock systems. They're both scummy af.

Top Bottom