• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 chain-saws through Uncharted 4’s, Overwatch’s TV ads

Theorry

GamesBeat has partnered with iSpot.tv, which measures TV advertising in real time, to bring you a monthly report on how gaming brands are spending their ad dollars and which are generating the most digital response. Below are the top five most engaging gaming industry brands from March 16 to April 15.

Over that time period, 34 brands in the gaming industry ran 94 commercials 18,717 times on national TV. Surprisingly, the most engaging ads during this period were created by brands that don’t normally make the chart. In fact, none of those from last month’s most engaging ad chart returned during this period

oj725jK.png

Accounting for just under 25 percent of the industry’s response, Microsoft Studios led the pack in terms of TV ad engagement during the 30 days tracked. Although Microsoft Studios dedicated the majority of its spend to a trailer for Quantum Break, a new Xbox One shooter featuring Shawn Ashmore and Aidan Gillen, it was actually a trailer for the new Gears of War game that drove most of this activity. “Gears of War 4: Tomorrow,” featuring music from Disturbed, drove 87.67 percent of the engagement for the brand and 22.19 percent for the industry. This ad was seen over 12 million times since its debut on April 10 and drove over 110,000 social actions.

Sony also had a blowout month, generating 21 percent of the industry’s digital response. “Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: Heads or Tails” accounted for nearly 97 percent of Sony’s digital response during this period, during which it racked up 42 million TV ad impressions. The ad was also viewed nearly 10.5 million times online.

Blizzard Entertainment had a breakout month on the back of its newest franchise, Overwatch, with an estimated spend of less than $1 million on TV ads. Blizzard racked up over 30 million TV ad impressions during the 30-day period. The ad that received the majority of its digital response, “Overwatch: Alive,” debuted on April 3. Driving over 64,000 social actions, this ad, featuring iconic new female characters, received the most attention on Facebook.

Some more at the link. Looks like GoW really got a push. On the Xbox channel it is also already the most viewed trailer. With over 9 million views in a week time. Probably because of social media push towards the channel?

http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/22/gears-of-war-4-chain-saws-through-uncharted-4s-overwatchs-tv-ads/

jeffram

Great ad, deserving of the views. Although I feel it's a bit disingenuous when you consider that the whole Marcus's son thing was a last minute addition and the actual tone of the series.

Great ad, deserving of the views. Although I feel it's a bit disingenuous when you consider that the whole Marcus's son thing was a last minute addition and the actual tone of the series.

That's how the ads always go, they come across as so thoughtful and poignant and beautiful, and then you load up the game and its all "SUCK MY GIANT BOOT YOU SHITFUCKERS"

not to take anything away from gears lol

Grisby

Cool. It's a good ad. Short, but meaningful. People are hungry for Gears.

Y'all wonder if some of the hits had to do with the Sad Affleck thing? For some reason I can't get it out of my head that the ad might have reached a few of those dudes because of the song.
Something about batman.
Combo breaker.

pizzacat

Banned

Y'all wonder if some of the hits had to do with the Sad Affleck thing? For some reason I can't get it out of my head that the ad might have reached a few of those dudes because of the song.

Combo breaker.
Would that mean that it only got big because of arrested development using it or the graduate before that?

That Uncharted ad is so good. Uncharted does a pretty good job of reaching more casual gamers too. Wonder if they have anything else for its release

Theorry

I am curious also. I mean sure people are maybe hungry for Gears. But beating youtube views of Halo launch trailer and Xbox reveal in less then a week by 2 million?

Grisby

Would that mean that it only got big because of arrested development using it or the graduate before that?
I just feel like both of them hit at around the same time. I'm sure a lot of kids didn't even know about the song until Sad Affleck (there was a report I think about how it made it back into the charts or something due to the video). It's a stretch, and yeah, the song has been used before in tons of cases (at least the garfunkel one, not sure about the disturbed version).

Am I misunderstanding the stats when it says Uncharted had 42 million TV impressions to 12 million for GOW? How are they attributing these engagement stats?

Koh

I actively mute and look away when the uncharted ad shows up. Not because it's good or bad, but because I don't want ANYTHING spoiled.

I am curious also. I mean sure people are maybe hungry for Gears. But beating youtube views of Halo launch trailer and Xbox reveal in less then a week by 2 million?

I, for one, predicted that Gears would be Microsoft's biggest franchise by the end of this generation.

HowZatOZ

Banned
He was such a good Riddler.

:/
As much as people hate on that movie, Jim Carrey was a brilliant Riddler. His own spin on a crazy character that was just so much fun.

Anyway, on topic. Isn't it usually the case those who are on the "bottom" spend the most ad dollars in order to be seen. I also wonder just how much longer TV advertising is going to be seen as relevant for metrics.
I detect an Xbot
Oh we being childish again?
lol What a clickbait title.
? It's starting how successful it's been in beating the competition, using the games context to get that across.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping that there was an actual Gears of War advert that starts out as an ad for Uncharted 4/Overwatch and then literally gets chainsawed to turn into an ad for Gears.

Am I misunderstanding the stats when it says Uncharted had 42 million TV impressions to 12 million for GOW? How are they attributing these engagement stats?

Yeah, I'm not sure what the figures mean either. Maybe the 12 million for Gears isn't talking about TV ad viewings? I'm not certain they're comparing like-for-like.

Top Bottom