• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 chain-saws through Uncharted 4’s, Overwatch’s TV ads

reKon

Banned
I don't understand why this is the title. I expected to see a larger difference in percentage..

Or this:

I was hoping that there was an actual Gears of War advert that starts out as an ad for Uncharted 4/Overwatch and then literally gets chainsawed to turn into an ad for Gears.

I thought it "literally" chainsawed through. Like, they somehow used an Uncharted 4 ad, and 5 seconds in a chainsaw cuts through the screen and it's replaced with a Gears ad.

I'm disappoint. :(

Edit: Guess I'm not the only one, lol

I was hoping that there was an actual Gears of War advert that starts out as an ad for Uncharted 4/Overwatch and then literally gets chainsawed to turn into an ad for Gears.

Abdiel

Thread title is kind of dumb.

Thread info is interesting. Certainly a big boost of interest on that ad push, though not a huge difference in percentage.

Wonder what their ad spectrum is going to look like for the rest of the lead in.

I don't have a problem with the title but it makes it sound like Gears had a TV ad that beat UC4s TV ad. But the latter had a TV ad and the former didn't (going by the article) and the comparison is more off online ad views.

So the title is definitely confusing in some regards.

Elixist

_vewC8.gif

i thought there was some classic system wars shit goin down.

koutoru

I would of added "VentureBeat" to the thread title as to make it clear that it's their wording and not to be taken literally.

I expected to see a YouTube clip about an official ad showing part of an Uncharted ad that is interrupted by a chainsaw going through the middle and a bunch of explosions and pre order bonuses.

Floody

I'm also in the camp that thought MS had done an ad starting with Uncharted 4 getting chainsawed through. Extremely disappointed.

Those are some nice numbers, though I bet a lot of them views come from skippable ads that appear before another YouTube video.

JP

OK, I'm going to admit that the thread title lead me to believe there was going to be something very different here.

The new Gears of War trailer is incredible. As someone who had no interest in the new game and series post the ending of Gears 3 (which I believed was a perfect place for the series to end) it says a lot that it managed to ignite my interest in the game.

It also rapidly became the most viewed video on Microsoft's Xbox channel; the thirst for this game is real. I foresee it overtaking Halo as Microsoft's big dog this generation. It'd be nice for the pressure to be taken off of 343i for the next entry. Although the multiplayer is incredible, I really feel 343i can knock the campaign out of the park on their next attempt - hopefully in includes more Master Chief.

Daft Punk

Banned
Not sure why people are complaining at the thread title tbh, you just used what was on the article...

Because the nature of the title just comes across as cringe worthy material you would see at the bottom of a game site ala "You won't believe what she did next!" type fare.

Really? Cmon now, use your head

I mean, did anyone really think there was going to be a Gears of War 4 advert chainsawing through Uncharted 4/Overwatch characters? Not sure I'm the one that needs to "use my head".

Not really all that hard to click the thread and read what its about, when I saw the article on my twitter feed I knew pretty much instantly it was going to be about TV or otherwise ad metrics of some sort

gamz

I mean, did anyone really think there was going to be a Gears of War 4 advert chainsawing through Uncharted 4/Overwatch characters? Not sure I'm the one that needs to "use my head".

Not really all that hard to click the thread and read what its about, when I saw the article on my twitter feed I knew pretty much instantly it was going to be about TV or otherwise ad metrics of some sort

Same. Not sure what the confusion is? The title is fine and not misleading at all. No different then other thread titles.

Vire

Same. Not sure what the confusion is? The title is fine and not misleading at all. No different then other thread titles.
Chainsaw implies utterly obliterated.

3% difference is practically within the margin of error.

PS4 has double the install base so of course. What were the sales comparisons between UC3 and Gears 3 though?

It's really hard to gauge figures.

I don't know if Sony factors in The Uncharted Collection (like it does with TLoU:R) and Gears 3 figures were never updated after the initial launch which bagged around six million.

Ecto311

What? We've become Reddit now?

Just now? Shit if we had up/down votes we would be the same exact place. Infact there are times reading here or there and I forget all together where I am except people here can get banned and not so much over on reddit.

farisr

What a garbage clickbait title.

Title should only have been used if the gears ad destroyed the competition (rather than just being like 3% more), or if there was an actual literal ad that started off with a chainsaw cutting through an uncharted 4 or overwatch ad.

Vire

What a garbage clickbait title.

Title should only have been used if the gears ad destroyed the competition (rather than just being like 3% more), or if there was an actual literal ad that started off with a chainsaw cutting through an uncharted 4 or overwatch ad.
The three percent thing isn't even entirely accurate.

The pie chart represents Microsoft, Sony and Blizzard as a whole, not the individual games themselves. Reading the article (which apparently the OP didn't do)

Gears only made up 87% of the market space for the ads for Microsoft, while Uncharted made up 97% for Sony.

It's really hard to gauge figures.

I don't know if Sony factors in The Uncharted Collection (like it does with TLoU:R) and Gears 3 figures were never updated after the initial launch which bagged around six million.

Uncharted 1-3 had already sold 21 million before that collection released.

The pie chart represents Microsoft, Sony and Blizzard as a whole, not the individual games themselves. Reading the article (which apparently the OP didn't do)

Gears only made up 87% of the market space for the ads for Microsoft, while Uncharted made up 97% for Sony.

Not really OPs fault because he just used the article headline, which is poor. But thats headlines these days.

EvB

Chainsaw implies utterly obliterated.

3% difference is practically within the margin of error.

It's not 3%

If people actually looked they would see that this is a measure of the brands, not the games themselves.

Uncharted made up 97% of Sony's 21%
Gears made up 88% of MS's 24%

Uncharted 1-3 had already sold 21 million before that collection released.

The last update we had for both was that Gears of War had hit 22 million by January 2014 and Uncharted had hit 21 million by June 2015.

I fully expect the latter to oursell the former nowadays, for a multitude of reasons.

Theorry

Guess you didnt read the article. Just used the article headline. Wich is quite poor. I see that now.

You all know what this means right?

Year of the Xbox is finally upon, like the Wii U years of old. Much like Nintendo before them, this will be the year that MS leapfrogs over Sony and reclaims their rightful spot as leader of the console market.

And not a moment too soon, arrogant Sony is back and more Kutaragi than ever.

Top Bottom