• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 Graphics & Performance Guide

JaggedSac

Will this be the first W10 game to not run like shit on PC?

I believe Killer Instinct and Halo 5 run well. As well as Apex for the most part. Not sure about Recore, haven't been following it.

Gears 4 on pc sounds great.

Andy, is there a way to target a framerate and let the game do what it takes to scale to get there?

Theorry

I believe Killer Instinct and Halo 5 run well. As well as Apex for the most part. Not sure about Recore, haven't been following it.

Andy, is there a way to target a framerate and let the game do what it takes to scale to get there?

Recore is pretty good also. They only real broken one was Quantum Break.

And Gears of war Ultimate which took months to get it fixed if my memory is correct. ANd then we have Forza which has it's issues as well.
Gears UE still has its fair share of unacceptable stutters, slow downs and audio glitches. And I experienced these all while playing on a Gsync monitor.

Recore is pretty good also. They only real broken one was Quantum Break.

Forza Horizon 3 definitely falls under the "really broken" category right now. Trying to do anything above 30fps, and even at 30fps, introduces a huge number of issues to the game. There are a lot of people with BSoDs and crashes too; thankfully I'm not one of those.

I think it's understandable that people are wary, especially with that release so close.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, for my 970gtx I can do...

1440p @ Ultra with dynamic scaling? Or should I just do 1080 Ultra? I can resist slow downs to the 50s at max :p.

Rogas

Banned
Are we watching the same video? Look at the first combat scene - the cutscenes look great but once it transitions to gameplay, it absolutely looks mediocre.

Main character's hair? Awful. The animations? Clunky. Textures on the wooden benches and up-close on the 'not locust but totally locust' enemies? Really not good.

I watched the 4K video on a 1440p monitor, it looked OK. Game could be fun, but it's not pushing the boat out visually like Gears 1-3 did.

That's an old build, it says so right above the video.

Vitor711

I think the game has a great art style. It's a highly atmospheric shooter, which is something you don't really get much in the AAA space. The focus on realism leads to sterility.

Compressed web video isn't really a good way to judge graphics either. The game doesn't disappoint in person. It looks better than CoD and Titanfall 2, and only cedes the graphics crown to BF1.

Compressed web video still lets me gauge texture quality and lighting and I'm thoroughly unimpressed.

Again, game could be great, but outside of the crazier atmospheric effects (storms/winds etc. in other demo footage), the environments look small with so-so texture work and it still has that clunk gears animation engine which feels absolutely last-gen.

The art-design seems fine but, even then, it's not impressing me like the 'destroyed beauty' aesthetic of the first game.

Gameplay bugs aside, Recore is pretty solid. The only "broken" UWP game right now is Quantum Break, and Forza Horizon 3 to an extent.

And yes there is a dynamic scaling option to let the game try to keep one set framerate by dropping resolution, and you can even set how much lower you want the resolution to drop.

virtualS

FYI - MultiGPU support will be hitting in an sometime after launch. Testing a few things out and wanting to make sure it is perfect before hitting everyone.

Thank you. Would love to see some advanced multiGPU stuff going on. Something other than AFR that perhaps uses the GPU cores and all of the VRAM across my cards in novel ways.

About to go to bed. BUt I want to thank Andy again for this guide. Even if I may not buy the game, I love reading through these guides checking out the performance of individual settings and the visual differences in comparison. Just love it. :D
If only every dev did that for their PC versions, would be amazing. A man can dream.
That would be wicked.
Can't get 4K/30FPS at insane with 1080...shoddy port confirmed.
Game doesn't even look that gud.
Yeah, game looks like skub.
I don't believe it's a port.

Yeah, considering how UE4 is and how this game apparently scales up, perhaps it is right to call the xb1 version the port here. :p JK. xb1 version will probably perform and look exactly like one expects given its hw.

Evo X

So what kind of frames can I expect at 3440x1440 on a 4.4Ghz 5820k & Pascal Titan X on everything at highest settings sans the few Insane ones?

Also, I have a friend with a 6600k and GTX 1070. Can he run it max 1080p/60?

Vipu

Banned
Are we watching the same video? Look at the first combat scene - the cutscenes look great but once it transitions to gameplay, it absolutely looks mediocre.

Main character's hair? Awful. The animations? Clunky. Textures on the wooden benches and up-close on the 'not locust but totally locust' enemies? Really not good.

I watched the 4K video on a 1440p monitor, it looked OK. Game could be fun, but it's not pushing the boat out visually like Gears 1-3 did.

To people who were "loling" at me before at least there is 1 sane guy middle of all.
Just listen to those gun sounds, seriously who thinks those are anything else than terrible?
Devs really should focus bit more on sounds than just spend everything on gfx and then at the end "oh right we have to make sounds too, oh well lets copy those sounds from GoW1 where we spent 50$ for recording audio"

Just go compare any newish BF sounds to these, at least Dice have realized that sounds matter. Hope that rest does too in some far future.

Javin98

Banned
ezgif-147694131120r6t.gif
What?? Where is this GIF from? I've never seen it.

thuway

So what kind of frames can I expect at 3440x1440 on a 4.4Ghz 5820k & Pascal Titan X on everything at highest settings sans the few Insane ones?

For your friend a 4k 30 or 1440p 60 at ultra. Your 4k 60 fam.

Javin98

Banned
You seem surprised it exists :)

I made it from a webm of one of the streams she did if I recall.
Don't recall this stream from Stefanie. Who's the person on the wheel? As far as I know, she always streams on her own. It certainly isn't from GirlGamerGab's or that other MGO stream either.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

A colleague has an i7-5930K and a GTX 1080, and at 3440x1440 he got 68.7 FPS AVG, 56.5 MIN in the benchmark with Ultra settings and 90 FOV.

Gonna be playing this on a GTX960M. I have a dell inspiron 15 gaming laptop i7-6700HQ Processor. Anyone else here planning on playing on that? How many frames am I looking at to make it playable??

I'll be playing it on a very similar laptop but it's an ASUS not a DELL. Anyway I'll be playing it tonight and I think we can hope for hitting 60fps at 1080p with some tweaks. Obviously not on Ultra or anything but i'd hope for at least as good as xbone.

Be interesting to see how the dynamic res scaling works to help out weaker computers rather than the big focus thats just people talking about upscaling for their expensive GPUs!

Top Bottom