• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 is now up for preload on PC

kendrid

Banned
Anyone getting the error "Try again later. Something happened on our end" message? Remedy?

This is old but in case it happens to anyone else, try logging out of the store then login back in. After doing that my download started.

It is currently at 14.08GB and hasn't moved in 20 minutes. Grrr.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If you're seeing the "something happened on our end" error, a workaround that might make it work for you is to go through the Xbox App first. The Xbox App might take you to a slightly different page and it might circumvent that error.

That didnt do anything, sadly.

The payment window that shows up takes forever to load and just
"Try that again
Something happened on our end. Waiting a bit might help."
again.

But also Outlook had issues earlier and still seems to have? Idk :3 Was working fine last night but shit, guess I'll contact support :3

kendrid

Banned
That didnt do anything, sadly.

The payment window that shows up takes forever to load and just
"Try that again
Something happened on our end. Waiting a bit might help."
again.

But also Outlook had issues earlier and still seems to have? Idk :3 Was working fine last night but shit, guess I'll contact support :3

In the search bar type 'troubleshooting'. When that window opens, on the left side select 'View All'. In that window at the bottom select 'Windows Store Apps'. That will fix the store license cache.
After doing that, log out of the Windows store then log back in. After doing that my download started.

kuYuri

Trying to download Gears 4 and I'm also getting the "Something happened on our end. Try again later." error. :/

I've done the Windows Store troubleshooting multiple times and still nothing.

EDIT: and right as I said that, I got it working, lol. :p

EDIT 2: Spoke too soon, my download has stopped and seemingly restarted after downloading 53 GBs. :/

The most important tips for a better chance at preloading on first try is too update the hell out of W10 before buying.

I had to cancel my download once because I couldn't choose my drive in first try. Second try I could choose my drive but I kept getting errors.

2 reboots later it finally started to download. 2 days later I finally had preloaded the game.

Windows Store just isn't good enough compared to Steam. This needs to change

http://www.windowscentral.com/gears-war-4-pre-loading-begins-windows-10-update-build-14393222-first

Gears of War 4 Windows 10 pre-loading begins, but you should update to build 14393.222 first

That update is one of the worst I've encountered in Windows in a long time. I have two PCs running 10, and older one in the Preview program and my "gaming" PC that I just put a 480 and 1TB SSD into.

The PC in the preview program won't install the update correctly, it fails over and over again and has to rollback the install of KB3194496 every time.

After installing my new SSD in the gaming PC and installing this update my PC will lock up after 5 minutes or so. If I leave Windows 10 with a fresh install that doesn't include the update it works fine. I ended up having to do a Windows refresh to get the PC functional again and lost 60GB worth of Gears 4 download. Thanks guys!

Microsoft really screwed the pooch with this update, install at your peril.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=KB3194496

Zedox

That update is one of the worst I've encountered in Windows in a long time. I have two PCs running 10, and older one in the Preview program and my "gaming" PC that I just put a 480 and 1TB SSD into.

The PC in the preview program won't install the update correctly, it fails over and over again and has to rollback the install of KB3194496 every time.

After installing my new SSD in the gaming PC and installing this update my PC will lock up after 5 minutes or so. If I leave Windows 10 with a fresh install that doesn't include the update it works fine. I ended up having to do a Windows refresh to get the PC functional again and lost 60GB worth of Gears 4 download. Thanks guys!

Microsoft really screwed the pooch with this update, install at your peril.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?SearchTerm=KB3194496

Are you on the latest update for the Preview Program? I tried it (downloaded on another drive) and it downloaded fine. I don't have any PCs (besides my work pc, but I'm not doing that...lol) on the Anniversary Update (and this one can't be updated anyways) so I can't test.

Are you on the latest update for the Preview Program? I tried it (downloaded on another drive) and it downloaded fine. I don't have any PCs (besides my work pc, but I'm not doing that...lol) on the Anniversary Update (and this one can't be updated anyways) so I can't test.

Yeah I'm on the latest preview update in the slow ring of the Preview Program. The only update not installed is the one causing issues.

I've already installed it on a few work PCs ( before the issue was known) and it seems to working OK on them thankfully. :)

There is a hacky workaround that seems to be working for some people but I'm too busy to try this at the moment. I'm going to wait for Microsoft to fix it.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-successfully-install-windows-10-build-14393222-workaround

Tecnniqe

Banned
Actually. My issue was IPv6 related as for god knows why, but anything related to Microsoft started working when I disabled IPv6.

tumblr_lr1zg47PWS1qie3i0.gif

At least the speed is nice. 11 GB in a couple of minutes.

derFeef

Downloaded about 40gb again just to run into an error and can't continue to download... What a joke that is. I will try the cache clear fix...

TaterTots

Banned
I'm having 0 issues downloading right now. Also, you can set Windows to download internet files to a specific hard drive...

I made sure to have the update that fixes the issue with the store, do you have it? I was able to preload no problem?

Yup, W10 says no updates available. Logged out and back in of store, rebooted, got enough HDD space on both my drives...

On the actual Gears of War 4 product page it says "Only available as a bundle" but in "My Library" is where I can set it to download. Is this right?

On the "Gears of War 4 - Preload" page where I bought it, it says I own it then there's a button that says "manage" which takes me to "My Library"

MaLDo

So, 14393.222 update installed but .... a problem in our end. Can Microsoft do something right some day? I don't think so.

winverwtfvsqcm.jpg

Really, their attemp to bring ms games to pc is so retarded I can't think how it's possible.

MS dev thinking about how to fix the store

stupid-patrick-star-quotes-i11.jpg

Papacheeks

Banned
Yup, W10 says no updates available. Logged out and back in of store, rebooted, got enough HDD space on both my drives...

On the actual Gears of War 4 product page it says "Only available as a bundle" but in "My Library" is where I can set it to download. Is this right?

On the "Gears of War 4 - Preload" page where I bought it, it says I own it then there's a button that says "manage" which takes me to "My Library"

Did you check the KB number of the update to make sure you have it? If not you may to manually grab it from Microsoft.com.

Download finished! Luckily it only took one attempt (30 hours) thanks to the warnings on here not to pause it.

Bring on the 11th!

Werd

After being stuck on 0x80073CF9 for days as noted in my previous post, I hit retry today (which usually downloads a final 47 MB segment and then gives the error) and it just started redownloading the entire thing.

So that's 74 GB x 3 + ~50 GB on XB1. ~272 GB and I don't have any reason to actually believe my W10 install is actually going to work this time.

Lazaro

I cant seem to fix it...
PlPilPr.png

Try running the "Windows Store App" troubleshooter.

otherwise you can go to "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and try deleting the most recent folder. It helped once with one of my issues but know if it's dangerous to the system to do so.

Clopezi

I have solved the problem (was not working even restarting) going to network devices, disable ethernet adapter, enable ethernet adapter and now is downloading. Crazy...

I'm losing my patience here... I'm trying to use the fix so i can preload Gears 4, but i have the "Try again later, something happened on our end" every single time. (I tried everything i've read here).

Not happy at all with the Microsoft Store.

dLMN8R

I'm losing my patience here... I'm trying to use the fix so i can preload Gears 4, but i have the "Try again later, something happened on our end" every single time. (I tried everything i've read here).

Not happy at all with the Microsoft Store.

Which workarounds have you tried? This is the one that should work:

1) Navigate to the store page for the bundle you purchased (standard edition preorder bundle, or ultimate edition preorder bundle)
2) From that bundle page, go to My Library (either click the Manage button or just click your profile picture then my library)
3) Then click the arrow next to Gears of War 4 from your library

If that doesn't work, please send me your logs - run wscollect from the start menu and it puts a file on your desktop.

derFeef

Yep, done. MS does not want me to play their games on my PC.
GoW 4 download broke 4 times already because I paused it.
Recore update redownloaded the whole game 2 times because rasons (and still not updated).
Forza Horizon 3 update needed two restarts.

Latest W10 version, store app updated and everything. tried the troubleshooter app, cache clear trick etc. Nope.

dLMN8R

Yep, done. MS does not want me to play their games on my PC.
GoW 4 download broke 4 times already because I paused it.
Recore update redownloaded the whole game 2 times because rasons (and still not updated).
Forza Horizon 3 update needed two restarts.

Latest W10 version, store app updated and everything. tried the troubleshooter app, cache clear trick etc. Nope.

1) Not that my experience should matter where yours differs, but I've been able to pause and resume my GoW 4 preload multiple times and it picks up from where it left off. I even downloaded ~60GB of it, put my laptop to sleep last night, and resumed the download this morning, and it works. Are you running the latest Windows Update - 14393.222 if you check start-->winver?

2) ReCore might appear to redownload the entire game, but yesterday's patch was simply huge because it's a massive number of changes. It was the same on Xbox. The game is around 9GB and the patch was 8GB because it changed so much.

3) When Horizon needed two restarts, what specifically did you see which indicated it needed those two restarts? Error codes? No progress at all? Something else?

derFeef

I got the same error code with FH3 as with Gears I posted above. But unlike with Gears, it started working after a few tries. And I still get thrown out of ReCore because I am not on the latest version, I think?
I am away from my PC for a few days so sadly I can't check again, but yes, that is the version I am running if it's the same as posted above earlier.

abracadaver

HOLY SHIT I FINALLY GOT THE DOWNLOAD STARTED!

I tried all the "tricks" in this thread but nothing helped.

I only have 30GB left on my SSD (C:) so I wanted to install the game on drive E: where over 1000GB are free. I selected drive E: everytime and it is set up as the default download location for apps. The download would always end after about 40MB with an error (without giving details)

So now I removed GTA V from my drive C: to have 80GB of free space on C:

I tried again and now it is finally downloading. I don't know why it needs that much free space on C: when the game is supposed to install on E:

I hope it doesn't install on C: as I want to put GTA V back once the download is finished.

1,33GB downloaded so far.

Can you close the store and it will download in the background?

chixdiggit

Can not download as well. I get the "Something wrong on our end prompt" as well.

Edit: Well holy shit as soon as I posted it finally starts.

dLMN8R

Can not download as well. I get the "Something wrong on our end prompt" as well.

See above:

This is the one that should work:

1) Navigate to the store page for the bundle you purchased (standard edition preorder bundle, or ultimate edition preorder bundle)
2) From that bundle page, go to My Library (either click the Manage button or just click your profile picture then my library)
3) Then click the arrow next to Gears of War 4 from your library

If that doesn't work, please send me your logs - run wscollect from the start menu and it puts a file on your desktop.

Manac0r

Cool, thanks for confirming it worked. The Store team is trying to fix it ASAP.

Hey I don't suppose you have any idea why I can start the download but get random hangs, and pauses. Have not got passed 20+ gig without an error. Same with FH3.

Downloading to M2 drive (OS) with over 100gig free space.

dLMN8R

Hey I don't suppose you have any idea why I can start the download but get random hangs, and pauses. Have not got passed 20+ gig without an error. Same with FH3.

Downloading to M2 drive (OS) with over 100gig free space.

Depends on the error code(s) you're seeing

Derko1

Neo Member
I'm getting a "Try again later, something happened on our end." error.

Any ideas? I tried seeing if there was any issues with the store and tried resetting the store also and nothing.

Ran the troubleshooter but it didn't fix it. I have to believe this is because my C: only has 30GB left and it's not enough. Trouble is, I don't WANT to install it on my C:, I want the download to go to my D: like any other program from 2016 can do. Yes, I've set the D: as the default location for my downloads in preferences.

edit: probably not that, I guess. I can't even download Candy Crush Saga, nor Recore...nothing.

Radian8

If someone is using the direct download method of getting the .EAppx file could you please send me or post a link to the file, would greatly appreciate it.

Detox

If someone is using the direct download method of getting the .EAppx file could you please send me or post a link to the file, would greatly appreciate it.

I would like this too. Someone make a torrent out of it. I've tried direct download but the download ticket on the server times out so I can't resume using a download manager either.

All I want is to download a game over the course of two days by pausing it but the way this shit store works means that is impossible.

Top Bottom