• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Dr Dogg

Right just a few notes from some redonkulious testing. 16k looks off the cards unless you have masses of VRAM (though saying that Rayman Origins did take 15360x8640 but seeing as that is sprite based it's not surprised). Did get Dead Space to run at 11520x6480 and ran quite well until using stasis when everything went to crap.

Also saving screenshots at the res didn't work at all bar 1 time but I'm guessing the fact it came back with a 285mb bitmap file might be the reason :p

I'm keeping a list of what's been compatable for me and what have crashed or failed if not as well as what resolutions work if it's needed.

Tried to scale the UI in ME3 and it went about 5% bigger so still impossible to see.

koryuken

[Asmodean];109492477 said:
Here's an lod/distance workaround for the vssao. Link below screens, for those who want.

Edit: can't spoiler tag images?
before
yfQEQ1V.jpg

OneDrive Link

Thank you, I was having the same issue! I will use this fix.

Question for you guys. I am running an overclocked ASUS 280X (3GB) and can get 60FPS max settings in Battlefield 4 at 1080P.
Yesterday, when I was playing around with GeDoSaTo, I upscaled Dark Souls 2 to two times 1080p (3840x2160). I am getting perfectly playable frame rates, but the game seems to stutter ever 15-30 seconds or so. Does that mean that the graphics card doesn't have enough RAM to handle this res? Anyone having similar issues?

Got mostly everything from earlier sort of working.

Now I have a new problem!
The black line you see here I have ingame (but it is grey and less thick).

It will not show up in screenshots, but that is a quick edit I made to show the general location of where the line is. It goes from the left side of my head to the end of the screen.

Is there a fix for this random grey line?

So, you just put this in a directory, doesn't have to be Dark Souls 2, and run it? I'm doing that but none of the effects are showing up in game. It's running fine, but it seems to just be ignoring the tool. Any idea there?

I have AA enabled, and no overlay.

Edit: I got it. I thought I had it activated but I didn't know you couldn't close the app window.

koryuken

Got mostly everything from earlier sort of working.

Now I have a new problem!

The black line you see here I have ingame (but it is grey and less thick).

It will not show up in screenshots, but that is a quick edit I made to show the general location of where the line is. It goes from the left side of my head to the end of the screen.

Is there a fix for this random grey line?

Is it possible that your card is being pushed to it's limits and is "artifacting"??

Here's an example of artifacting.
https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/339/gw006.jpg

koryuken

Only running at 75%ish usage and also is well under 60C. I ruled that out.

Got it, i don't know off hand but I would try disabling all of the effects in the GeDaSaTo ini one at a time and checking the same area in game. Process of elimination. Figure out which setting is causing it. My hunch is that it might be ambient occlusion (SSAO).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_occlusion
I was able to use this method to determine that it was SSAO that was causing the weird skyboxes in my game.

edit: see my post above. Anyone else getting stutters at upscaled res? I'm trying to figure out if I'm VRAM limited.

Got it, i don't know off hand but I would try disabling all of the effects in the GeDaSaTo ini one at a time and checking the same area in game. Process of elimination. Figure out which setting is causing it. My hunch is that it might be ambient occlusion (SSAO).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_occlusion
I was able to use this method to determine that it was SSAO that was causing the weird skyboxes in my game.

edit: see my post above. Anyone else getting stutters at upscaled res? I'm trying to figure out if I'm VRAM limited.

AO is causing me issues it turns out. Also I happen to really like it. Can I just use the ingame AO without the tool's AO?
Could I force HBAO+ (with it off in the tool) through the driver if that is a no?

koryuken

AO is causing me issues it turns out. Also I happen to really like it. Can I just use the ingame AO without the tool's AO?
Could I force HBAO+ (with it off in the tool) through the driver if that is a no?

Why don't you try Asmodean's fix? His link has a new settings file for the AO. I'm going to fix my skyboxes with his method as soon as i get home.

Here's an lod/distance workaround for the vssao. Link below screens, for those who want it.

OneDrive Link

Gattsu25

Banned
The tool crashes whenever I try to take any screenshot..anyone ran into this issue?

Retrying this, the game crashes and it seems like sometimes the tool crashes with it.

Edit: Not sure if this helps:
Code:
- EventData 

APPCRASH 
   Not available 
   DarkSoulsII.exe 
   53564ccf 
   GeDoSaTo.dll 
   53597d5a 
   c0000005 
   000642a1

Edit: It's on the site as a known issue:
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/

Known issues:

[GeDoSaTo] Crashes when taking a screenshot.
Cause: You are not downsampling, and I made a silly programming mistake. Will be fixed in the next version

Gotta thank you for the tool, Durante. You rock

Why don't you try Asmodean's fix? His link has a new settings file for the AO. I'm going to fix my skyboxes with his method as soon as i get home.
Doing that now. It works!

New issue:
Dark Souls is resetting all of its settings everytime I open it with the too enabled and activated.

Newer issue:
Game crashes on startup.

[Asmodean]

Just tried Divinity 2 and it works great in it!

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/579020457635851003/B53733CDAE67BC3A26E448EEED81DDA111758514/

Also tried Alan Wake, works until you try to move and it blurs to crap. If you take a SS it also breaks.

Looks like that game doesn't like SRGB gamma. You can either disable post processing, or you can open post.fx and ctrl+f: SRGBTexture, & SRGBWriteEnable and change them both to false or 0. Doing this will cause it to produce the same problem for games that do want srgb though. Probably best to add an ini define for SRGB writing tbh.

[Asmodean];109506277 said:
Looks like that game doesn't like SRGB gamma. You can either disable post processing, or you can open post.fx and ctrl+f: SRGBTexture, & SRGBWriteEnable and change them both to false or 0. Doing this will cause it to produce the same problem for games that do want srgb though. Probably best to add an ini define for SRGB writing tbh.

I wish I knew what you said.

Ok, after a lot of dicking around, I finally got the tool to work with lightboost. Yay!

However, the tool has a habbit of minimizing my game every 10 - 15 minutes. The same thing happens with Sonic Unleashed. When I try to get the window back, the game crashes.

I lost a DS2 co cop session, and almost died twice mid combat because of this (the game is still running when it minimizes, you have to crash it quickly or your hosed.)

No bueno :(

[Asmodean]

That's an ao scale problem by the look of it. I'm not actually downsampling. I use 1440p native(680 mem bandwidth is crap for UHD resolutions). Lol derp.

I'll try downsampling and see where the problem is, and update the link.

[Asmodean];109513681 said:
That's an ao scale problem by the look of it. I'm not actually downsampling. I use 1440p native(680 mem bandwidth is crap for UHD resolutions). Lol derp.

I'll try downsampling and see where the problem is, and update the link.

Is AO typically applied at the pre-downsample resolution, or is it applied at the display target resolution?

nicjac

Quick question: I use GeDoSaTo with default settings and Dark Souls 2 video settings set to high. What performance should I normally expect when downscaling from 4K with a GTX 780? I can't seem to maintain 60 FPS, it mostly ranges from 40 to 60 during normal gameplay. Is that the norm or is something wrong?

Bonus question: besides GeDoSaTo (default settings) and setting everything to high in-game, is there anything else I should consider in order to improve IQ?

Thanks!

[Asmodean]

I can't actually seem reproduce that problem myself. I updated the link with a few small things I thought could be attributing to it, if you'd like to try: here.

Is AO typically applied at the pre-downsample resolution, or is it applied at the display target resolution?

Typically, it would scale with the rendered resolution. eg. if you downsampled from 1440p -> 1080p, with a scale of 1:1 it would be 2560x1440. 1:2, is half that, etc. It depends on the implementation of it.

Levyne

Banned
Quick question: I use GeDoSaTo with default settings and Dark Souls 2 video settings set to high. What performance should I normally expect when downscaling from 4K with a GTX 780? I can't seem to maintain 60 FPS, it mostly ranges from 40 to 60 during normal gameplay. Is that the norm or is something wrong?

Bonus question: besides GeDoSaTo (default settings) and setting everything to high in-game, is there anything else I should consider in order to improve IQ?

Thanks!

I'm running a 780 and I'm just downscaling from 2880x1800. I also have sgssaa and the smaa from the tool turned up as well. When I tried 4k my fps suffered too.

Elixist

Thanks based Durante. Got to try this today, i doubled my res and put on the best AO and im gettin about 50 fps average. Ill prob. turn off for my first run thru cause im enjoying that silky smooth too much, but my next char. all about that bokeh shiity framerate life.

Ran Echelon

Neo Member
This is pretty damn cool.

Games I've tried:
Dead Space - Works well, 8k runs at 45-50 fps on a 770.
Sudeki - White screen on start.
Resident Evil 4 - Crash on start.
SiN Episodes:Emergence (Source game) - Works well, 8k runs at 60 fps. Setting modifyGetCursorPos and modifySetCursorPos to true fixes the mouse. Seems like Source has no option to scale the menu so it's tiny when downsampling.

One problem I'm having is a darker image/crushed blacks when downsampling (this is with displayport). I've tried fiddling with the colour settings in nvidia control panel and installing the latest beta drivers, but no dice.

Also, I still get the white bugging issue with the overlay on. Weird.

Durante said he fixed it in his code but he hasn't put out an updated build yet. You still need to keep the overlay off until he uploads a new binary.

[Asmodean];109516603 said:
Typically, it would scale with the rendered resolution. eg. if you downsampled from 1440p -> 1080p, with a scale of 1:1 it would be 2560x1440. 1:2, is half that, etc. It depends on the implementation of it.

To rephrase my question: is there any significant benefit to applying AO at a resolution higher than the final rendering resolution? Seems to me like something that would quickly run into diminishing returns.

[Asmodean]

Generally, yeah it would, but this is speaking from engine-based AO though. I dunno what way Durante is handling it. Could be getting it and passing it on as a d3dxmacro, also could be using the display res, rather than rendered. You'll have to wait for him to comment on it, as he hasn't released he's source for this yet :)

Ideally, it would be best if you could manipulate the game's original post processing, but the few loose files in the shader folders are all precompiled of course.
---

I updated the above ao link again. Missed a few improvements when I hastily upped it last time. My bad.

masterkajo

Here's an lod/distance workaround for the vssao. Link below screens, for those who want.

Edit: can't spoiler tag images?
before
yfQEQ1V.jpg

after
WhRxhTW.jpg

OneDrive Link

I tried your VSSAO settings and they work. However, performancewise it costs me about 10-15 frames more than Durantes standard (which is bugged regarding the skybpx to be fair). What to do, what to do?

Vitor711

I tried your VSSAO settings and they work. However, performancewise it costs me about 10-15 frames more than Durantes standard (which is bugged regarding the skybpx to be fair). What to do, what to do?

Now, we wait.

Have the same issue with a few skyboxes elsewhere too. It's not a massive eyesore as it's so infrequent but I'm sure he'll fix it eventually.

Speaking of which, my 680m is barely coping with the game maxed out at 1080 with Durante's default settings (no Super Sampling).

Around 90% GPU load most of the time. Ouch. Still haven't dropped below 60FPS at least but those temps are getting high.

I feel like a total noob but I can't seem to get this to work.

Does it need to be in any specific directory?

I have gone into the ini and not made any changes since by default it looks like its set to downsample from 4K. I run the program and it shows up in tasks. It says to double click to restore but does nothing when I do that.

When I go in-game it doesn't show anything above 1920x1080..is it supposed? I have in-game Steam overlay turned off an AA on.

I've no doubt I'm being a total idiot here.....

didamangi

I feel like a total noob but I can't seem to get this to work.

Does it need to be in any specific directory?

I have gone into the ini and not made any changes since by default it looks like its set to downsample from 4K. I run the program and it shows up in tasks. It says to double click to restore but does nothing when I do that.

When I go in-game it doesn't show anything above 1920x1080..is it supposed? I have in-game Steam overlay turned off an AA on.

I've no doubt I'm being a total idiot here.....

It doesn't need to be in a specific directory.

Did you click activate after running the program?

It doesn't need to be in a specific directory.

Did you click activate after running the program?

Like I said, I'm an idiot:)

I had to run it as an administrator and the activate option came up. Gave me the error about hotkeys but they seemed to work in-game regardless.

GORGEOUS!

The post processing seems to introduce stutter for me (running an i5 2500k with a GTX780) for some reason but I'm not a fan of it anyway as it just appears to crush the shit out of blacks.

I turned it off and its butter smooth with SMAA at level 3.

Awesome stuff!

koryuken

How are you checking the FPS in Dark Souls 2? Fraps?

Yeah, the Bokeh does looks really impressive. Having troube finding the sweet spot though for its fstop size and focal distance. It would be interesting to be able to control both on the fly with the numpad.

Oh I had no idea you could even change those as I'm quite content with how it looks but yeah a Numpad setting might be nice for people who want to tinker with it :)

And out of curiosity, does GeDoSaTo and the DoF effect work in conjunction with the DS II ENB? I would assume they would conflict but I haven't tried yet.

I know it's not the same cause this time, but I can't help but be reminded of the original DSFix thread seeing that.

I take it things work fine if you're not downsampling?

Things work fine when I don't use that VSSAO2 fix.

Well, if you count GeDoSaTo crashing (again) 10 minutes into co op, right infront of those BFS weilding knights trios...

30k souls .... :)

Really, the sky looking slightly dumb is peanuts by comparison.

I think I'll put this mod to the side and play in a window until the next version.

I've been trying this on a lot of my games (I have over 850 on Steam) and I am getting pretty good success rate. It works most of the time perfectly with Unreal Engine 3 games.

Singularity looks amazing @ 4K with SweetFx.

This seemed to be making Dark Souls 2 crash today, but it was fine last night... I had to deactivate it today in order to get DS2 to stop crashing on launch.

Top Bottom