• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce Now Cloud Streaming Out Of Beta

Shakka43

Starting today, GeForce NOW is no longer in closed beta. Users can sign up and choose from two tiers: Free and Founders. The free tier is limited to 1-hour gaming sessions and may be subject to a waitlist if there are too many people trying to play. The Founders tier gets priority access, up to 6 hours of playtime, and gaming with RTX. If you sign up now, you get the first 3 months for free, and it’s $4.99 per month for the rest of 2020

I gotta say, Nvidia's streaming offering seems a lot more enticing than the competition, having your Steam, Epic and Ubisoft games library available to stream is much better than having to get them in yet another new store. As a Shield TV owner I'll probably join for the first year at least.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

I gotta say, Nvidia's streaming preposition seems a lot more enticing than the competition, having your Steam, Epic and Ubisoft games library available to stream is much better than having to get them in yet another new store. As a Shield TV owner I'll probably join for the first year at least.

Until they jack up the cost, so they can actually make money. Much better than Stadia though, you're at least not land locked.

Put Stadia out of its misery, and than jack up the prices as there is no way of making money at those levels.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Are you limited on the games that you can play through this, or will all Steam games work on GeForce Now?

DanielsM

Banned
Are you limited on the games that you can play through this, or will all Steam games work on GeForce Now?

They have support for your steam library. This will basically kill off the remaining Stadia users, not that I believe game streaming will ever be a big thing.

Clock is now ticking on Phil Harrison's next venture.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It looks like they have a very limited number of very popular games available for cloud streaming. From what I can gather, you connect Geforce NOW to your Steam account, then their app will list all of the available games that you're able to start streaming.

They have a tool online you can use to check if your favorite game is supported:

I typed in a few of the games I've been playing recently, and none of them popped up. Right now it looks like they only support a few hundred games. Here's a pastebin I made of their currently supported games:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It looks like they have a very limited number of very popular games available for cloud streaming. From what I can gather, you connect Geforce NOW to your Steam account, then their app will list all of the available games that you're able to start streaming.

They have a tool online you can use to check if your favorite game is supported:

I typed in a few of the games I've been playing recently, and none of them popped up. Right now it looks like they only support a few hundred games. Here's a pastebin I made of their currently supported games:

That's what I thought. It's an interesting concept; I just wonder how useful it'll be for people who tend to play mostly weird, niche stuff.

GHG

If you have the game in your steam library and it's compatible you don't need to rebuy it. If you've been PC gaming for a while you'll inevitably have a bunch of games you can play via this service for $5 a month.

Shakka43

How it worked in the beta the last time I tried (which was a few months ago), there were a limited amount of games from your library ready to be played instantly while those that weren't could be downloaded into Nvidia's cloud server and then streamed/played that way.

6 hours of play time?

Pfft I'd blow through that in a week

6 hours per session.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
How it worked in the beta the last time I tried (which was a few months ago), there were a limited amount of games from your library ready to be played instantly while those that weren't could be downloaded into Nvidia's cloud server and then streamed/played that way.

6 hours per session.
Is it unlimited sessions?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yep it looks like after the six hours (or one hour for the free plan) you have to re-queue. With the paid plan you get queue priority so you'd probably go right back to playing. With the free plan, maybe not.

From the FAQs

OHmfRpP.png

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yep it looks like after the six hours (or one hour for the free plan) you have to re-queue. With the paid plan you get queue priority so you'd probably go right back to playing. With the free plan, maybe not.
Oh ok I see. Seems like such a high number to even put a cap on it. But what do I know?

Shakka43

Seems to be that way.
Founders members receive extended session lengths, each lasting up to six hours. After the current session expires, you will move to the front of the queue for fast access to resume your gaming. There is no limit to how many times you can start a new session in a day.

WalletBoy

Neo Member
I am trying to figure out what audience this is targeting. Is it people with not enough upload bandwidth to make Steam Link work? I know Steam Link isn't perfect but I think it works pretty well. Sometimes I kinda like playing on my Samsung TV.

Last edited:

jshackles

I am trying to figure out what audience this is targeting. Is it people with not enough upload bandwidth to make Steam Link work? I know Steam Link isn't perfect but I think it works pretty well. Sometimes I kinda like playing on my Samsung TV.
I can't answer your question exactly, but in my particular instance it's a nice option that I could play (a limited number of my Steam games) from my phone on my lunch break at work - all while my PC at home is completely turned off.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just tried quake RTX on 1900x1200 all maxed. 45fps

Doom 2016 all maxed. 1900x1200 . 60 dips to 50

Destiny 2 all maxed. But this one also running with 200% res supersample. 45fps.

y6M6LdS.jpg

This is what doom told me the specs where of the geforce now rig.

ZywyPL

Banned
I've tried GF Now some time ago, like 6-9 months, can't remember exactly, and while the performance was surprisingly really good, playing online games like League of Legends was basically impossible, that additional latency you get by connecting to GFN servers instead of playing the game on your own PC and connecting directly to LoL servers completely killed the experience, the ping from PC to NV servers alone was really good, from NV servers to LoL servers even better, but somehow, stacked together they felt like 200ms, instead of those 40-50. I wonder how it is in it's current state?

Spukc

I've tried GF Now some time ago, like 6-9 months, can't remember exactly, and while the performance was surprisingly really good, playing online games like League of Legends was basically impossible, that additional latency you get by connecting to GFN servers instead of playing the game on your own PC and connecting directly to LoL servers completely killed the experience, the ping from PC to NV servers alone was really good, from NV servers to LoL servers even better, but somehow, stacked together they felt like 200ms, instead of those 40-50. I wonder how it is in it's current state?
Overwatch says 45MS latency 53MS IND

Shakka43

With Steam Link you are limited to your own computer's specs, for people with not so good PCs this could be a decent option to play games at higher settings.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Just tried quake RTX on 1900x1200 all maxed. 45fps

Doom 2016 all maxed. 1900x1200 . 60 dips to 50

Destiny 2 all maxed. But this one also running with 200% res supersample. 45fps.

y6M6LdS.jpg

This is what doom told me the specs where of the geforce now rig.
Ah I figured they'd be using a Tesla back end for this!

nVidia is creating some pretty wicked virtual GPU tech, and I know it's going to sound generic and defensive, but those starting numbers on an actual streaming service backed by it is pretty fucking good

jshackles

That's awesome Spukc Spukc thanks for giving us the scoop

whyman

Wow! I just tested the paid version and I am blown away by the results. I played CoD MW on my laptop with a Xbox One controller. I have always been unsure about playing a fps via stream but with controller it sure works.

Platform and setup:

Laptop (mid range gaming)
Xbox One controller

My internet speed:

100/100 Mbps
Wired

GeForce Now settings:

Maximum Bitrate 50 Mb/s
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Framerate 60 FPS
Vsync ON

Game:

Call of Duty MW
Max settings
Raytracing Enabled
Resolution 100%

xYNNxXG.png

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Wow! I just tested the paid version and I am blown away by the results. I played CoD MW on my laptop with a Xbox One controller. I have always been unsure about playing a fps via stream but with controller it sure works.

Platform and setup:

Laptop (mid range gaming)
Xbox One controller

My internet speed:

100/100 Mbps
Wired

GeForce Now settings:

Maximum Bitrate 50 Mb/s
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Framerate 60 FPS
Vsync ON

Game:

Call of Duty MW
Max settings
Raytracing Enabled
Resolution 100%
50 Mb/s is crazy. that would eat my data cap like I eat Pizza.

They have support for your steam library. This will basically kill off the remaining Stadia users, not that I believe game streaming will ever be a big thing.
You do not have access to your library. The game needs to be supported or agreed with publishers, however it works. But I've had the beta for a long time. Only been using it for CitySkyline and it was great. 👍

Mithos

Tried it just for the "lulz" 100% fail in even testing/passing/setting up the network, my internet connection is way to poor.

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
F

Fuck me..
In Iraq, the "average" ping is 160 and if it, by some miracle, goes under 100 I throw a party

Spukc

I think i understand why my connection is so dank.

I live next to one of their data centers lol

Signed up because it's free but I don't really need it, my machine plays the vast majority of my games fine at 1080p/60fps. Nice service though, and a good kick to the ribs of Stadia while it's down.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just tested The Witcher 3 from my Steam account and the remote hardware on the free option can max that at 1080p/60fps. My actual stream was low quality, my internet sucks and I'm on 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi, yet there was little lag even though I felt a lot when controlling Steam remotely to download the game on there. They basically gave me a free 1080p remote Nvidia pc to access at any time and play my existing (supported) games? How is this profitable?! It's like Stadia except you don't buy games there but access your pre existing libraries. I guess they hope everyone will sub for the high quality stream (but I don't even have the net for it, lol) and even better remote hardware? I don't see how they can sustain this level of great service to freeloaders like myself but as long as they do I'll find a use for it, either to play a future game my PC can't run to postpone an upgrade or play point & click and other such suitable games on a phone etc.

Last edited:

SLoco

Neo Member
i was in beta for over year and its was pretty good even when i played without ethernet and on 2,4 ghz wifi(5 and ethernet cable recommended).

You can play games from steam(ones they support),uplay games and battle net.No need to buy them again.
Epic and Origin(not counting Apex) not supported atm.

Nikana Nikana

You can put anything you want from like 1 to 50.
kbJ93s5.png

We could played with 120 fps like month ago but they moved dat to competitive mode only(maybe they give it back).

Last edited:

Shakka43

Seems like they have removed the ability to download(to their servers) unsupported games, in the beta a few months ago i was able to play Resident Evil 4 and GTA Vice City that way but now I can't.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
i was in beta for over year and its was pretty good even when i played without ethernet and on 2,4 ghz wifi(5 and ethernet cable recommended).

You can play games from steam(ones they support),uplay games and battle net.No need to buy them again.
Epic and Origin(not counting Apex) not supported atm.

Nikana Nikana

You can put anything you want from like 1 to 50.
kbJ93s5.png

We could played with 120 fps like month ago but they moved dat to competitive mode only(maybe they give it back).

That's actually really cool they let you customize so many things.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nvidia’s GeForce Now is finally out of beta, challenges Google Stadia at $5 a month

The primary catch is that you need an excellent internet connection, a capable Wi-Fi router or Ethernet cable, and you must live somewhere that isn’t too far away from Nvidia’s servers to begin with. The company says its nine data centers in North America and six in Europe can reach 80 percent of broadband homes within 20 milliseconds — theoretically speedy enough for games to feel like they’re not lagging behind your button press — and it claims it’s achieving 10ms round-trip latency with its partners in Tokyo, (SoftBank), Seoul (LG U+), and Moscow (GFN.ru), some of which are still in testing. Nvidia’s talking to carriers in the US, too, but there’s nothing to announce yet. Either way, you’ll need a 15 Mbps connection or better, 30 Mbps for 1080p60 streaming, and 50 Mbps is what Nvidia suggests for the best experience. (There’s no 4K or 1080p120 options yet.)

GeForce_NOW_Memberships.jpg

Lastly, you should know that Nvidia’s $5-a-month “Founder’s” plan is a limited availability deal to reward early adopters, and it’s not clear what the final price might be like. Nvidia says it’s doubled the capacity of GeForce Now as part of this launch, and it should be able to support over 600,000 players now, but it doesn’t want to overcrowd them, so it’ll be cutting off access to “$60 for a year + 3 free months” deal once it hits a certain capacity.

Looking good so far.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
GeForce now has been great over the past few years. I remember when I picked this up [Nvidia Shield Portable] and it had a trial of their Geforce Now service even back then! Great to see they are out of beat and am really excited that they launched "library support" as well. It has always worked fine in my home but I still need to test it over 5g. Will let you all know how it goes but so far so good!

Phase

Just downloaded this and gonna try it later with Yakuza 0 since I could add it through the search. This is super convenient AND I can use my existing library? Now we're talking.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
OK, this is a big deal and one that I am all for. The biggest knock I had against Stadia was the fact that in addition to a subscription you had to buy the games separately. That was a deal killer for most people.

Google big time blew it when they should have signed a deal with Steam, so that you can play the library you already own.

RIp Stadia and Phil Harrison should never be allowed to head up a console launch ever again.

Top Bottom