• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geneforge 1-5 - PAYWHATYOUWANT (ended) - Among the finest RPG's ever created

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Was gonna get it for a couple dollars but after checking out your Gnomoria thread think I'll stump up 10.

Is the mystery game the next game on IndieGameStand or Spiderwebs next game? Its not very clear.

It supposed to be not clear since its a mystery game. No one knows yet which game this might end up as. The guys who put down 10 bucks to get Gnomoria and SpaceChem definitely got a great mystery game with the Geneforge series though. If they keep their streak of using my favourite games up, we should see Frozen Synapse or Project Zomboid next though :p

*totally makes things up*

Atrophis

Oh so its just the next offer on the site. Still pretty cool. Hopefully its not Frozen Synapse, I already got that jazz.

Talking of Spiderweb games, anyone played Nethergate: Resurrection?

Edit: How the fuck did the SpaceChem sale only make $2.9k? People have no taste :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh so its just the next offer on the site. Still pretty cool. Hopefully its not Frozen Synapse, I already got that jazz.

Talking of Spiderweb games, anyone played Nethergate: Resurrection?

Edit: How the fuck did the SpaceChem sale only make $2.9k? People have no taste :(

Yeah, the publicity for these deals isnt too great I guess. Even the 5k deals isnt too much of anything, considering HOW great these deals are. If I had more real life friends on steam, I'd be gifting even more of these offers left and right.

Toma

My map progress in GF1:
ljmRI.png

How far in percentage wise would that be?

Toma

Oh btw, whats the actual effect of a cannister? Is it like it makes the spells in question 5% more powerful? Are there any concrete numbers? Like I just got a Fyora cannister and I cant remember how that affects my creations.

Toma

10% or so. The map has around 80 areas total. You've got a long way to go and a hell of a lot to explore.

Nice! :) Looks like I'll get about... *calculates* 65-70 hours out of this. I really should start to get the windowed non-drm version working. Could play it a bit more often then.

On another note, I JUST noticed that you can set the resolution to Full screen. D'oh.

Toma

30 hours left for this deal!

Toma

Played some more and raised the limit of my army to 5 creations at the same time. HA!

Still feels a bit ridiculously strong. There was a boss that was hyped up and I went out of my way to get a strong weapon against him, just to notice I killed him in 2 rounds. Heh.

Warp the Vlish
was the name. I love the lore in this game. Man. I think I might try to play more regularly, like finishing 1 area per day or something. The game lends itself rather well to that.

Fjordson

Played some more and raised the limit of my army to 5 creations at the same time. HA!

Still feels a bit ridiculously strong. There was a boss that was hyped up and I went out of my way to get a strong weapon against him, just to notice I killed him in 2 rounds. Heh.

Warp the Vlish
was the name. I love the lore in this game. Man. I think I might try to play more regularly, like finishing 1 area per day or something. The game lends itself rather well to that.
I have that quest at the moment. Not sure if I'm going to take it on just yet, though.

And the lore is really great in this game. I just wish I had looked into these Spiderweb games sooner.

I think after I play a couple of Geneforges I'm going to check out one of Vogel's other series. Love this style of game.

Victrix

*beard*
I'd buy these, but like... it's probably 250+ hours worth of game, and uh, I don't have that much time in my life for one series :V

Sarcasm

Gnomoria will get a steam key right?

*I ask about gnomoria because I enjoy the demo on desura. The webpage finally loaded and I don't see the ten dollar deal mentioned anywhere...

Toma

Gnomoria will get a steam key right?

*I ask about gnomoria because I enjoy the demo on desura. The webpage finally loaded and I don't see the ten dollar deal mentioned anywhere...
If you get the 10$ deal, you get the Desura key for Gnomoria. The dev said its very likely that you'll get the Steam key after its released on Steam if you already own the Desura version.

dude

dude
I see you post in the project eternity, so this should be right up your alley, and while the writing isn't quite the as good as the infinity engine games,its still fantastic, and I would love to hear some future impressions.

You got me there. I'm loving this game! They way they dealt with their setting is very, very good, it really gets you into the world. I didn't get to spend as much time with it as I liked since buying it because of homework, but now its the weekend do I an lock myself in a room with it until my eyes bleed. Demoss, my Shaper, is very bemused by the serviles. But he sees himself as a liberal-type, you see, so he thinks it's wonderful these simple creature can almost achieve a civilization, but he is very wry of them getting into magic or, unthinkably, Shaping. If he'll ever see them as a real threat (like he does the Takers) he'll probably do anything to end their endeavors. While the dialogues are a bit simple for my liking and don't really let me play Demoss fully, I appreciate they created a full enough world to let me get into this character so early in the game.

Sotha Sil

Loving the game; now I get The Technomancer's endless praise. It seems much more choice-oriented than Avadon. I'm definitely going to help the Awakened the first time around. The bandits are no joke, though.

Toma

A bit more than 15 hours left for this deal!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I bought this but I didn't get an email with codes or anything :\ Is it supposed to re-direct you to the page after your payment is done? Because that didn't happen. If so I might as well just purchase again :p. Give 'em some extra dollars

How is the music in the Geneforge games? I can totally disregard the graphics if the atmosphere and music is good, 'sides I have a thing for games that look semi old.

robotnik

I bought this but I didn't get an email with codes or anything :\ Is it supposed to re-direct you to the page after your payment is done? Because that didn't happen. If so I might as well just purchase again :p. Give 'em some extra dollars
Check "My Games" ;)

TheContact

You can even look past Steam entirely, and use the GOG version with D3DWindower if you prefer playing windowed as well (as the Steam version is not compatible due to how it hooks in to the Steam API), which is my biggest regret of the Steam purchase I made a while ago. I generally prefer playing older RPG like this windowed. $1 is a great price to have both options though, even if you don't care for windowed modes!

Thanks. I prefer windowed mode too with older RPGs. I redeemed via GoG.

and thanks OP for the OT, this is a nice grab.

yarden24

How is the music in the Geneforge games? I can totally disregard the graphics if the atmosphere and music is good, 'sides I have a thing for games that look semi old.

music isn't very good at all to be honest, its more ambient sound effect and such, atmosphere is achieved through the writing and descriptions of everything, which is done very well indeed

Thanks. I prefer windowed mode too with older RPGs. I redeemed via GoG.

and thanks OP for the OT, this is a nice grab.

you can redeem on both!

also, anyone who hasn't bought it yet, do so! its so cheap!

Toma

its kinda amusing how the same people are trying to keep the thread alive, it truly is a shame the graphics are so bad, especially now that he finally lowered the price which was much to high

Eh, its a necessity to give some attention to these games. Without us constantly bumping it, I bet many others in this thread wouldnt have noticed this deal.

I agree though, the prices back then were waaay too high.

I would have probably ignored this thread if it wasn't Toma that's telling me about this. He hasn't lied to me yet when it comes to games I've never heard of.

Try out the latest 'Avernum' game on Steam, it is a visually more polished experience and has a ton of game content. Highly recommended.

Starting the Geneforge series is kind of overwhelming knowing each of the 6 games most likely has around 100 hours of content for me.

Toma

Try out the latest 'Avernum' game on Steam, it is a visually more polished experience and has a ton of game content. Highly recommended.

Starting the Geneforge series is kind of overwhelming knowing each of the 6 games most likely has around 100 hours of content for me.

Its more like 60, but playing the first alone definitely is recommended. I need to agree with the others now, its more interesting than even 5 and its still a great experience.

I havent played Avadon yet, so I cant really compare, but I heard it has less interesting choices and that is sort of what surprises me about Geneforge the most.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its more like 60, but playing the first alone definitely is recommended. I need to agree with the others now, its more interesting than even 5 and its still a great experience.

I havent played Avadon yet, so I cant really compare, but I heard it has less interesting choices and that is sort of what surprises me about Geneforge the most.

Yeah, Avadon has problems. Best combat system in a Spiderweb game and some decent writing, but it takes like ten+ hours to open up and stop feeling like a bunch of fetch-quests

Toma

10 hours left for this deal!

Gift it to friends you like!

Did you play Avernum? It is very open ended and well-written.

I bought Avadon on iPad but it was a bit too linear for my tastes, still good though.. just not as engrossing as Avernum.

Toma

Did you play Avernum? It is very open ended and well-written.

I bought Avadon on iPad but it was a bit too linear for my tastes, still good though.. just not as engrossing as Avernum.

Started playing Avernum a while ago, yeah. Always had in the back of my mind that I still need to finish the Geneforge games, though and didnt really play much of it. Maybe I'll try the first Avernum Remake (already own it on steam anyway..) after finishing Geneforge 1.

I'd been ignoring this thread as I thought (for some reason) Geneforge was a JRPG. Looks really interesting, seems I stuck my head round the door just in time!

Toma

I'd been ignoring this thread as I thought (for some reason) Geneforge was a JRPG. Looks really interesting, seems I stuck my head round the door just in time!

Super cheap, you can gift it from the website to friends who might have missed this too (*hint hint*)

Sorry, couldnt resist.2780 purchases really is a bit weak, though. Glad you popped in in time!

I think Jeff's fanbase bought these games a long time ago already. And their mainstream appeal isn't really that big.. but yeah I would have liked to see more sales and profit from this.

Toma

I think Jeff's fanbase bought these games a long time ago already. And their mainstream appeal isn't really that big.. but yeah I would have liked to see more sales and profit from this.

Those arent the people this offer is interesting to, yeah. But many, many people played oldschool RPGs like Wizardry that probably never tried a Spiderweb game (like me 2-3 years ago). I am very surprised these Indiegamestand deals dont get more publicity considering the minimum amount is only 25 cents.

Falxix

Bought the bundle and got a copy for a friend. Had it on Steam but I wanted a DRM free version, so I couldn't pass this up. I hope Gnomoria is as good as it looks.

And I can't believe they've only barely cracked $6000 in payments. That's nuts.

Top Bottom