• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

General John Kelly is a bald-faced liar, told false story to slander Congresswoman

KingV

JsoXAt9.png

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/921451645250211840

My take:

There is a transcript, but it confirms the Congresswoman’s account, so they are pretending it doesn’t exist. Trump is too stupid to know that he said exactly what they say he said.

Edit: it’s crazy how people in this administration burn through a lifetime of credibility over nothing. McMaster was well-respected coming into his position, and now he is a joke. He burned through that by lying about... I don’t even remember what it was. But he got up in a press conference and told a bald faced lie.

Kelly is in the midst of doing the same thing, just to cover for Trumps dumb tweet.

Conway did it multiple times.

Spicer was and is literally a national joke, and he threw it away by wearing his dads suit in a press conference where he claimed that a picture with 50000 people in it had more than a picture with a million people in it. While showing both pictures on national tv.

All of these were completely meaningless things. They literally burned a lifetime of work up for nothing.

tbm24

He’s worse than that. Luckily his credibility was destroyed over that moment, there’s a reason why no one talks about him anymore aside from rightly mocking him as a fraud. Remember how often he was praised in the run up to the election?

Yes. He’s an outright fraud as a pundit and if he had any self respect would quit and draft up a sincere apology for how much of a stooge he’s been in that role. What he does outside of CNN doesn’t expunge what he’s said on CNN.

So he committed fraud on what exactly?

My take:

There is a transcript, but it confirms the Congresswoman’s account, so they are pretending it doesn’t exist. Trump is too stupid to know that he said exactly what they say he said.

Yes, I also think this.

Beyond what the transcript says, they'd also have to explain why the President's daughter-in-law had access to it.

I imagine the only thing he knows about him is that "presidential" line.

I know pretty much all I need to know about the man. I'm well aware of the work he did during Obama's administration, the work he did before then, as well as the work he did once he was forced out from right wing freakouts. Me respecting the work he does has very little to do with me not liking how obviously clueless he consistently demonstrates himself to be in the few hours he's on CNN acting like he doesn't have any damn sense, and where he seemingly appears to either fall for every trick in the book, or consistently argues in ways where it sounds as if he's doing far more to assist, rather than resist, Trump

tbm24

Who said anything about committing fraud? Being a fraud can just mean being a fake or a liar, doesn't mean anything criminal occurred.

Well sure, I didn't expect him to come back that he committed a crime. I just don't understand how he's a fraud and then discount what he actually does for a living. Van Jones is a genuine activist, what does Van Jones promote? Activism and he has his own perspective about it. I initially responded to someone who suggested to the unknowing that listening to Van Jones would be dangerous, which is blatantly ridiculous. He had an opinion many didn't like, fair, that makes him a fraud because?

Pretty sure both are acceptable.

Bold-faced meaning you’re putting on a brave face when lying (pretty straightforward). Bald-faced referred to an old superstition that men with beards were hiding something, so if you told a bald-faced lie it meant you didn’t have facial hair but were lying anyway, and this was worse because you wouldn’t expect someone with no beard to lie like that.
Interesting. Thanks for enlightening me.

Ogodei

The fact that he's sticking to his position despite being completely and utterly called out is fucking wild. Administration's willingness to just outright take a bullet to the face for Trump and spin out absolute falsehoods, destroying his creditability in the process is par the course for most... But Kelly as CoS has always been painted as the adult in the room by media. Now it's fake news peddling top to bottom. No one is exempt, no one is clear, there really is no one reasonable in the administration holding the reigns, just varying degrees of awful.

Some leaders inspire their followers to die for them. Trump inspires his to completely humiliate themselves for his own glory.

He's a politician. He holds a political office.
I've always been under the impression that some jobs have more of an impact on someone's identity and way of thinking. I think it shows in the way people treat Kelly more like a general than a politician. From what I've seen on television I also thought he carried himself more as the former rather than the latter. At this point I just think he's more a liar than anything else, though.

Zolo

"Women were sacred."

Fuck you John Kelly. Things were great back when women were expected to be sacred symbols in a man's family huh?

"Women were sacred."

Fuck you John Kelly. Things were great back when women were expected to be sacred symbols in a man's family huh?

Even ignoring that side of how dumb the statement was, how can you possibly invoke that sentiment in defense of Trump? Wouldn't it be better to say nothing than implicitly bring up the specter of 'grabbing pussy' during a conference that is supposed to be putting Trump in a positive light? It's both insidious and wildly incompetent, which should basically just be this administrations tagline.

Well sure, I didn't expect him to come back that he committed a crime. I just don't understand how he's a fraud and then discount what he actually does for a living. Van Jones is a genuine activist, what does Van Jones promote? Activism and he has his own perspective about it. I initially responded to someone who suggested to the unknowing that listening to Van Jones would be dangerous, which is blatantly ridiculous. He had an opinion many didn't like, fair, that makes him a fraud because?

I said he’s a fraud as a pundit, since he claims to be a progressive. He’s a stooge, and actively harmful to the progressive movement when he’s on TV looking like a weak fool. That’s separate from his work in activism, which I frankly think pales in comparison to how much damage the “presidential” moment did.

tbm24

I said he’s a fraud as a pundit, since he claims to be a progressive. He’s just a stooge, and actively harmful to the progressive movement when he’s on TV looking like a completely weak fool. That’s separate from his work in activism, which I frankly think pales in comparison to how much damage the “presidential” moment did and his pathetic walk back after the fact.
Okay, how is he harming the progressive movement while on CNN. Genuinely what has he done on TV that actually harms the movement.

Okay, how is he harming the progressive movement while on CNN. Genuinely what has he done on TV that actually harms the movement.

Van Jones is doing what Corey Booker's stupid ass did briefly in 2012 when Obama was running for re-election. He's giving the right sound bites that they will then use as somehow evidence of the fact that they, as in Trump, hasn't done quite as bad a job as his opponents will be saying he did in 2020. People don't pay attention to every piece of news going back and forth, and so are very susceptible to being persuaded by these soundbites.

gabbo

Could Wilson not lay libel charges against him for this? I mean, it would be hard to square that circle in legal defense, no?

Kasumin

I was actually at the gym watching one of the TVs that had CNN on during his press conference.

I don't know if I trusted Kelly as the adult in the room, necessarily. I did, however, expect some degree of decorum from him. My jaw dropped when the text on the bottom screen started summarizing his insults of Representative Wilson. What the fuck? Why was it even necessary to go that far? I get the lying part. Going the extra mile to smear the Rep. for listening to the call (didn't even know she was a family friend but even before that it didn't strike me as odd) is fucking ridiculous.

I was actually at the gym watching one of the TVs that had CNN on during his press conference.

I don't know if I trusted Kelly as the adult in the room, necessarily. I did, however, expect some degree of decorum from him. My jaw dropped when the text on the bottom screen started summarizing his insults of Representative Wilson. What the fuck? Why was it even necessary to go that far? I get the lying part. Going the extra mile to smear the Rep. for listening to the call (didn't even know she was a family friend but even before that it didn't strike me as odd) is fucking ridiculous.

A woman of color was speaking up about something, of course they went that far.

Kelly is going to be shelved for a while methinks.

He used the name of his own son to add authority in a transparent attempt to give cover to Trump in, what we learned today, was a lie. It was bad enough even without the lie, but now? Good lord. The man shredded his reputation in a day for nothing. He should be utterly ashamed of himself.

kevin1025

Banned
He used the name of his own son to add authority in a transparent attempt to give cover to Trump in, what we learned today, was a lie. It was bad enough even without the lie, but now? Good lord. The man shredded his reputation in a day for nothing. He should be utterly ashamed of himself.

But he made Trump happy for a brief moment in time! Isn't that what matters in life, in the end?

These people are equal parts vicious and stupid...

In the hours after President Donald Trump said on an Oct. 17 radio broadcast that he had contacted nearly every family that had lost a military servicemember this year, the White House was hustling to learn from the Pentagon the identities and contact information for those families, according to an internal Defense Department email.

The email exchange, which has not been previously reported, shows that senior White House aides were aware on the day the president made the statement that it was not accurate — but that they should try to make it accurate as soon as possible, given the gathering controversy.

Not only had the president not contacted virtually all the families of military personnel killed this year, the White House did not even have an up-to-date list of those who had been killed.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/after-trump-claim-white-house-still-lacked-casualty-list

This is a nice behind the scenes look at the “Trump says something very stupid, aides desperately try to cover the tracks” cycle.

I'd like to think that the moment that hit the NSA's email server, a dozen people were clued in that Chump was attempting an ass-covering. Truly. Fucking. Shameless

Top Bottom