• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genius Sonority Announces new RPG Denpa Ningen for the 3DS, Releasing Feb 8

I would normally say "I wonder if Nintendo will localize this?" but I think if they could localize Sakura Samurai, this is totally possible. So I guess I'll wait, and if they don't release it here then I'll buy it on the Japanese eShop.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I would normally say "I wonder if Nintendo will localize this?" but I think if they could localize Sakura Samurai, this is totally possible. So I guess I'll wait, and if they don't release it here then I'll buy it on the Japanese eShop.
But they're publishing Sakura Samurai, it doesn't look like they have any direct involvement in this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looks interesting - and eShop Games are getting demos now too ? Great.

botty

Banned
Love the Pikmin vibe I am getting from this game. Don't understand where the earlier hate in this thread was coming from...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Love the Pikmin vibe I am getting from this game. Don't understand where the earlier hate in this thread was coming from...

crappy downloadable game without a demo (DSiWare) = Hate
interesting downloadable game with a demo (eShop) = Hate

Internet = scary place confirmed, poor Iwata.

Mdk7

It's intriguing, but those aren't Miis (even they do look a lot similar).
I hope they release it in Pal-Land as well!

RawPower

Banned

Somehow I missed this. They localized Sakura Samurai?

Shiggy

So it looks like Nintendo really axed them (well, we already knew that). I wonder how much of the original GS staff is still left there, I'd guess not many.

Yay! Supposedly they were making a new RPG back in 2008, very likely for the Wii, and they showed some crazy background pics on their website around that time.

This looks like that very game, the style matches!

2789505088_d1d75674a9_o.jpg

2789505912_1d3f5bf7f3_o.jpg

Reminds me a little of that GameCube RPG Homeland, which was also made by Dragon Quest alumni (Chunsoft). I hope Nintendo picks it up for overseas release.

So it looks like Nintendo really axed them (well, we already knew that). I wonder how much of the original GS staff is still left there, I'd guess not many.
Do we know that for sure? Nintendo used to hold 49% of the company and their last project together released just 9 months ago?

Yay! Supposedly they were making a new RPG back in 2008, very likely for the Wii, and they showed some crazy background pics on their website around that time.

Does the Japanese words hint something related? Coz I don't see any similarities based on those two pictures.

Mdk7

Homeland had such a charming art direction...
Too bad they confined it to Japan (where it bombed pretty bad, if i remember correctly). :(

Shiggy

Do we know that for sure? Nintendo used to hold 49% of the company and their last project together released just 9 months ago?

They are only put on very low budget Nintendo projects...Book Collection, Pokemon Typing, nothing serious. They are near death as they had to work on Tinkerbell DS after their Wii project was canned (and 60% of the staff were laid off).

2789505088_d1d75674a9_o.jpg

2789505912_1d3f5bf7f3_o.jpg

No way, otherwise Nintendo would be involved in this title. Sorry to disappoint you. (In addition, this is a very low profile project unlike the Wii project you reference up there)

They are only put on very low budget Nintendo projects...Book Collection, Pokemon Typing, nothing serious. They are near death as they had to work on Tinkerbell DS after their Wii project was canned (and 60% of the staff were laid off).

No way, otherwise Nintendo would be involved in this title. Sorry to disappoint you. (In addition, this is a very low profile project unlike the Wii project you reference up there)

They share a very quirky look so that's why I thought they would've been one in the same, plus this reminds me of Line Attack Heroes; a Wii retail title becoming a downloadable title. Only that was on WiiWare.

I wonder if either perhaps it is and that GS maybe kept the IP to self-publish on the 3DS? (not so likely as you put it) Or it's a new game, but likely shares similarities like maybe the same art director or whatever. We may never know.

Nice either way to see GS come up an original RPG none the less, I knew they could come up with something off the wall after seeing the artwork, and luckily that remains so. Will buy if it comes to NA, hopefully Nintendo will announce it or something at E3 via the Press Site.

Edit: Oh, and someone will need to grab the credits after beating the game, so we'll know how much of the GC staff remains, who knows, maybe GS got back a lot of the cut staff, their employee count is still as of Sept 2010.

Homeland had such a charming art direction...
Too bad they confined it to Japan (where it bombed pretty bad, if i remember correctly). :(
Chunsoft should give the game another go with a 3DS port. I bet they could get Atlus, Xseed, RisingStar, Aksys or someone to bite on a western release.

I hope this is good; the trailer looked like fun. It's great that the eShop is actually building up a decent library. There's some stuff worth getting now!

Zenaku

Just got through with the demo; 48 minutes game time.

It's a dungeon RPG with turn based battles. It starts with you catching denpa people, after which you can arrange them into a party of 4 and take them to the dungeon. You already have one at the start of the game; the denpa person whose loved one has been captured by the Demon Lord.

4 floors in all. First 2 have enemies and chests, 3rd floor has a boss, 4th floor has a portal and the door to the tower (which you can't go through).

There's a shop which opens after you talk to a guy on the 2nd floor, and it sells items, equipment and clothes (no clothes were available to buy though).

When you beat the boss you can have up to 6 denpa people in your party instead of just 4 (there's space for 8 altogether, probably unlocked later in the full version) and a pier gets added which lets you create a save file on the system that can be loaded into the full game if/when you buy it to continue where you left off (I believe the area will have a different function in the game, maybe streetpass related).

All in all, it's nice. The 3D isn't the best in battles, but at the angle it uses when exploring the floors it looks nice. Fights are simple, but I found myself healing at a higher pace than other similar games, with the boss taking a number of turns (and quite a bit of healing; over half a characters HP in one hit after he charges an attack) to beat.

I'll be buying it for sure.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Thanks for the impressions. I'm glad to hear it doesn't seem to be entirely cakewalk even in the demo.

StayDead

I too finished with the demo today, seems like it's going to be a lot of fun. I don't need to explain it as the guy before me did, but I enjoyed the JRPG stylings of it and it's style visually is very "fun" if you can use that to explain how something looks. The first boss wasn't a cakewalk and I almost died doing it, I got the shop and found there was nothing useful I could actually spend and my little party of 4 were quite a nice level.

Definately want to pick this up now. ^^

Meikiyou

No, the game is being handled entirely by genius sonority, what makes me think that it is a given it will never be released here =c.

About the shares of GS they are shared mainly by Manabu Yamana, Nintendo Co., Ltd., The Pokémon Company, at least it is what their own site says.

Top Bottom