• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

It's cool that they're making entirely new islands. The previous were already reused before. I still believe in the Klee skin leak, but it would be a bit weird if Klee was again somehow linked to the islands. It was her mom who designed them for her daughter to have adventures on.

Last year's event had a cast of several characters too, so it seems likely Eula will be featured in some capacity.

By the way, I'm already saving up my trash artifacts for the new wave of strongboxes. Tenacity is gonna be a good one for me. The anniversary is also getting closer, and while it'll probably just be another 20 wishes again, I still want them to do something new this time around.

Pejo

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

Saber

Gold Member
Yeah, thats a big nope to me.
Thankfully these months will hit them hard and maybe they will think before bring those concepts in the future.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gotta say, I have been enjoying the Sorush event. The divebomb puzzle gameplay is pretty good, if not too simple. Wish they had multiple solutions each and it was harder and there were more of them. Puzzle finder is easy, and I like the story so far. I've been having a hard time finding a reason to burn resin lately though. All that's really left for me is a few weapons from 80 to 90 and then artifact grinding, which is my least favorite activity in the game.

I wish there was a faster resin sink than leylines. Well, I guess I could make mystic ore with resin, but even when I don't feel like playing I still feel like that's too big of a scam to go through with it.

Reactions: Fuz

deanote666

Gotta say, I have been enjoying the Sorush event. The divebomb puzzle gameplay is pretty good, if not too simple. Wish they had multiple solutions each and it was harder and there were more of them. Puzzle finder is easy, and I like the story so far. I've been having a hard time finding a reason to burn resin lately though. All that's really left for me is a few weapons from 80 to 90 and then artifact grinding, which is my least favorite activity in the game.

I wish there was a faster resin sink than leylines. Well, I guess I could make mystic ore with resin, but even when I don't feel like playing I still feel like that's too big of a scam to go through with it.
I haven't done too much artifact grinding myself lately either.

Ran out of world bosses to fight for my current characters. Could grind them for the characters I don't have if I really wanted to...

Been running leylines to get enough books to level everyone up. Still have done fewer than 400 leylines currently.

Fuz

Banned
underwater gameplay
Awful idea.

and I like the story so far.
Aything worth mentioning? I skipped everything since
- way too much, as usual
- felt like bullshit filler
- hate those spirits

But yeah, the bombing gameplay is pretty cool, could have been a nice puzzle game if they weren't so scared and toned everything down.
The "race" is just "keep E pressed" and the image finder is ... unconsequential.

Last edited:

Pejo

I haven't done too much artifact grinding myself lately either.

Ran out of world bosses to fight for my current characters. Could grind them for the characters I don't have if I really wanted to...

Been running leylines to get enough books to level everyone up. Still have done fewer than 400 leylines currently.
I REALLY hope we get a few resin related QoL improvements for 4.0. I'd like to see:
  • Resin cap to at least 180 like Star Rail. For some reason that extra 20 makes it feel a lot less restrictive. Would prefer something like 300 though.
  • Rework of weekly boss sytem. Make them all 30 resin permanently instead of 30 for the first 3. Maybe make them "skippable" if you beat them under certain conditions (under 3 minutes with no damage, something like that).
  • Allow you to queue multiple runs worth of drops at once. Star Rail does this too. We have condensed resin but that's just not good enough. Let me queue up 3-5 runs at a time and either keep fighting all in a row or just make a single run eat 3-5x the resin
At this point in the game's life, the resin stuff is too tedious. And that's at all player levels, not just casuals or tryhards.

Charlotte confirmed:

new-genshin-impact-character-charlotte-appears-in-37.jpg

This pretty much confirms the other leaked designs we've seen for Fontaine.

There was also a teaser for underwater gameplay.

Haven't seen the entire thing yet, so I'll post my thoughts later if there's anything noteworthy.
Yea, I can't honestly think of a character from the leaks that I like the design for, other than bloodborne captain and maybe the twin braid girl. Hopefully they have some nice surprises for us because Fontaine is bleh right now.

I am not against underwater stuff, but boy that's going to have to be a whole new battle system if you're going to have combat under there. Curious about how they'll treat it. Also, think of the children, how are they gonna cover all the asses if the characters are horizontal for movement? CCP about to reign down the hammer. They'll probably introduce some sort of mascot creature that conveniently allows you to hold your breath underwater and swims right behind you no matter how you angle the camera.
Aything worth mentioning? I skipped everything since
- way too much, as usual
- felt like bullshit filler
- hate those spirits
Just some character moments for Sorush. If you didn't like her during the main story you won't get much out of this. It shows her self reflection and personal growth when she learns what it means to be the Bloomguard. I liked both her and especially Liloupar, so I'll take what I can get for them. They're both better fleshed out characters than 70% of the playable cast who's personality is "i must work hard and therefor I am tired"
But yeah, the bombing gameplay is pretty cool, could have been a nice puzzle game if they weren't so scared and toned everything down.
The "race" is just "keep E pressed" and the image finder is ... unconsequential.
Divebomb is the best one for sure. I think the race and image finder are both just tools to help players get accustomed for moving in 3D spaces for Fontaine underwater stuff. I thought that immediately when manual control of Sorush was first released, and still think so now.
So I claimed the last Amazon bundle yesterday, but weren't we getting a glider at some point?
Yea still nothing about it. I missed a few bundles in the middle, think I claimed 5 of them. Do you remember what the minimum claim was to get the bonus? I also really wish the KFC wings would come back in a way that doesn't force me to watch or support Twitch streamers.

What a shame... Fontaine have the worst design by far.
Unfortunately, agree. I was expecting phantom thief meets film noire but we ended up getting France dinner party from the 1800s.

crumbs

Yea still nothing about it. I missed a few bundles in the middle, think I claimed 5 of them. Do you remember what the minimum claim was to get the bonus? I also really wish the KFC wings would come back in a way that doesn't force me to watch or support Twitch streamers.
Found the details on the Twitch site:

"Additionally, any player that redeems 4 or more drops out of the 8 drops will receive the Wings of the Starlit Feast after the end of all 8 drops."

So I guess we wait until next month when this drop ends? Not sure if there is a way to see how many drops you may have missed.

Edit: The twitch site confirms that this drop ends on May 31.

Last edited:

deanote666

Yuck, here's another "early description art" for another Fontaine character, where they draw it (AI in this case) based on details from leakers.

FwAyHt7WYAEd5EQ

ENOUGH fucking twinks, holy shit. Fontaine shaping up to be the worst nation already.

Always shorts...

bqI2MNL.png

SSfox

At first i just wanted C6 my C4 Fischl , then once i got her,i got tempted to try 50/50 on Baizhu

I like his Chinese Kung Fu asthetics, easy to build, many good weapon options, works well with many of my characters.

• Thoughtful

Fake

I tried to pick another cons to Dr Baizhu, got 3 Fischl.
I never saw a game giving so much Fischl. Is like, she already got C6 like 2 years ago.

Fuz

Banned

Femminiello
xp52q.gif

I'm dead.
I desperately need italians on this thread to understand the jokes.

crumbs

It's going to be awkward for the character designers at MiHoYo if the AI-generated versions of these leaked characters end up looking better than the real thing.

Femminiello
xp52q.gif

I'm dead.
I desperately need italians on this thread to understand the jokes.

Euro 2012 Soccer GIF

Fuz

Banned
It's going to be awkward for the character designers at MiHoYo if the AI-generated versions of these leaked characters end up looking better than the real thing.
They can't be worse. You know what? This is an interesting thought. For how long those generic-anime artists could keep their jobs?

Fsl_ANeWwAAoQ_M.jpg

Last edited:

crumbs

They can't be worse. You know what? This is an interesting thought. For how long those generic-anime artists could keep their jobs?
It will probably be an employment bloodbath, but they'll probably keep a couple of artists around to add more accessories and diaper/bloomers to the AI-generated designs.

• Thoughtful

Pejo

4.0 banner characters

4 male characters probably

one guy is a 4 star

one guy is a 5 star

Cryo Pyro (male) | Anemo (female)

Off to a good start in Fontaine. 5* Pyro male we know is garter belt twink Lyney. 4* male is that dude with the mullet and the blue coat. Anemo 4* female is Lynette. Wonder who the other 2 males are. Probably one is that AI short shorts twink, how much worse can it get?

Fake

Is so infuriating seeing foes getting better animations and skills than the characters you get in the game.

And people are saying the 4* will be cryo claymore?

Pejo

Fuz Fuz
You read about that Ukranian Epic Games Store bug? It basically allowed you to buy the $99 USD pack of Tanium (6400) for 3 dollars. Unlimited amounts, and the bug persisted for 15 hours. People bought like 100k Tanium for 15 bucks, lol. Whales are super pissed because all that money they spent was essentially for nothing, and people are doing full chargebacks/etc. Fucking incompetent devs, I swear. I also just saw the free Lin skin we "won" with that vote, hella lame.

Do you still play or did you quit?

Fuz

Banned
Fuz Fuz
You read about that Ukranian Epic Games Store bug? It basically allowed you to buy the $99 USD pack of Tanium (6400) for 3 dollars. Unlimited amounts, and the bug persisted for 15 hours. People bought like 100k Tanium for 15 bucks, lol. Whales are super pissed because all that money they spent was essentially for nothing, and people are doing full chargebacks/etc. Fucking incompetent devs, I swear. I also just saw the free Lin skin we "won" with that vote, hella lame.

Do you still play or did you quit?
Oh I Didn't knew about this. Not that I would have spent money anyway. Yeah, those devs are fucking incompetent. Keybinding is still bugged since day 1, need to manually edit a .ini, ocean floor feels like it's made of rubble, there isn't a key to swim down (lol), the grappling hook is bugged AF since they "fixed" it and so on... they don't have their priorities straight. Pretty much everything is half assed.
But still, the game is fun and a good diversion from GI - and they DO have much better NPC variety it's ridiculous, no legions of drab tunic wearing undistinguishable NPCs. And they DID improve the dungeons and matchmaking a lot with the latest patch. They don't have mihoyo's budget and they don't censor, so I'm gonna cut them some slack.
Speaking of which, have you seen the latest character? Stupid name apart (Gunonno?), her design is borderline. I am against any sort of censorship, and yet she doesn't sit too well with me.

Pejo

Oh I Didn't knew about this. Not that I would have spent money anyway. Yeah, those devs are fucking incompetent. Keybinding is still bugged since day 1, need to manually edit a .ini, ocean floor feels like it's made of rubble, there isn't a key to swim down (lol), the grappling hook is bugged AF since they "fixed" it and so on... they don't have their priorities straight. Pretty much everything is half assed.
But still, the game is fun and a good diversion from GI - and they DO have much better NPC variety it's ridiculous, no legions of drab tunic wearing undistinguishable NPCs. And they DID improve the dungeons and matchmaking a lot with the latest patch. They don't have mihoyo's budget and they don't censor, so I'm gonna cut them some slack.
Speaking of which, have you seen the latest character? Stupid name apart (Gunonno?), her design is borderline. I am against any sort of censorship, and yet she doesn't sit too well with me.
Understandable, but if they piss off the whales, the game is as good as dead. I've never seen a game so aggressively monetized in my life, and without them spending, it's gonna be on life support, if it isn't already. I haven't kept up on any characters/content since I quit. I really liked parts of the game, but there was just too much i hated so I went full blackout on it. I only saw this Ukraine pricing error bug news in an unrelated video, then I looked it up. I looked up her design based on your post though, meh. Not my cup of tea but I don't think it's any worse than other stupid kid designs in gacha games. Why gacha games need kid characters to begin with is the better question.

Fuz

Banned
Understandable, but if they piss off the whales, the game is as good as dead. I've never seen a game so aggressively monetized in my life, and without them spending, it's gonna be on life support, if it isn't already. I haven't kept up on any characters/content since I quit. I really liked parts of the game, but there was just too much i hated so I went full blackout on it. I only saw this Ukraine pricing error bug news in an unrelated video, then I looked it up. I looked up her design based on your post though, meh. Not my cup of tea but I don't think it's any worse than other stupid kid designs in gacha games. Why gacha games need kid characters to begin with is the better question.
You need to see her in game. She has a transparent top with pins to cover the nipples.

Why gacha games need kid characters to begin with... because they're for weebs first and foremost, and I suspect there's a significant portion of them who's... let's say, a bit too much into lolis.

Saber

Gold Member
For a moment I though it was Yanfei being censored in a new skin.
Then I remember that Yanfei is flat as a table.

Pejo

There was like a personal "Teyvat Times" event on Hoyolab for the past year of genshin with a bunch of facts like which bosses you beat the most, which items you collected the most etc. I found it interesting that my #1 most used overworld character is Shinobu. Then I thought about it, and I hate having HP that's not topped off between battles, and since her healing sacrifices her own HP, I usually finish with topping off her HP while I'm running around.

Somehow Aoenblight Drake was my most fought boss in the past year. I wouldn't have guessed that.

US27ewV.jpg

Also, don't forget to do that fucking pain in the ass potions web event, there's quite a bit of free resources in this one, including a bunch of primogems. I just finished it today with all the rewards.

crumbs

Finally got around to checking out the v3.7 preview and it's as if they designed it specifically to make me stop playing their game.

- Main event is TCG-themed. I don't hate the card game, but just don't care about it. I find it slow & unsatisfying to play, which is why I haven't bothered with it in ages. It's become irritating how often the TCG gets referenced in the main story quests and how the devs have turned an interesting character like Cyno into a one-note TCG nerd.
- A new Kokomi story quest - The first Kokomi chapter was probably the worst character story, alternating between tedium and cringe. Not looking forward to another chapter.
- Kaveh Hangout - Most of the hangouts are mediocre, listening to Kaveh whine about Alhaitham is not likely to change that.
- A bunch of repeat events that I only sort of remember from the first time around. Yawn
- Dendro catgirl - With her release, we'll have more dendro characters than geo characters. Pretty much confirms that the devs have no idea what to do with geo after 2.5 years.

Saber

Gold Member
Finally got around to checking out the v3.7 preview and it's as if they designed it specifically to make me stop playing their game.

- Main event is TCG-themed. I don't hate the card game, but just don't care about it. I find it slow & unsatisfying to play, which is why I haven't bothered with it in ages. It's become irritating how often the TCG gets referenced in the main story quests and how the devs have turned an interesting character like Cyno into a one-note TCG nerd.
- A new Kokomi story quest - The first Kokomi chapter was probably the worst character story, alternating between tedium and cringe. Not looking forward to another chapter.
- Kaveh Hangout - Most of the hangouts are mediocre, listening to Kaveh whine about Alhaitham is not likely to change that.
- A bunch of repeat events that I only sort of remember from the first time around. Yawn
- Dendro catgirl - With her release, we'll have more dendro characters than geo characters. Pretty much confirms that the devs have no idea what to do with geo after 2.5 years.

The game was already giving me 100% reasons to stop after a full month of incredibly garbage artifacts, even with the use of condesed resins and the box.
It was already a sign that the next patch would be pratically a nail in the coffin from the beta. They should be thankfull if they even had enought people to participate their beta program. Pretty sure people will be too much busy playing a superior game which launched not ago. Honestly, I just didn't think it would be at that level that soon.

But I think it's time to stop playing and this time for good. Maybe this will make them learn to take feedback more seriously instead of taking years to implement fan suggested features and quality of life stuff. Not to mention writting which is at excrement level and character pandering. I'm still mad that Xynian was never fixed, but if this game falls is probably for the best...she deserved better from a cocky company like them.

Last edited:

Pejo

- Main event is TCG-themed. I don't hate the card game, but just don't care about it. I find it slow & unsatisfying to play, which is why I haven't bothered with it in ages. It's become irritating how often the TCG gets referenced
Yea I agree. I like the game once you get past all the slowness and poor interface and poor controls (using controller at least). But damn they didn't do it any favors by making everything so tedious. If I had a [physical set of cards in my hands and was playing that way, I think it'd be a fun game. People just don't have time between all the daily grind shit to sit there for 20 minutes for a single card game. I haven't played it since the launch patch for that reason.
Yea her story in the archon quest and her personal story quest paint her out to be the most inept character in Genshin. Their last few story quests have been good though, even Baizhu's - surprisingly, so I hope her new one is better.
Beidou still had the best one, IMO. Ning's was pretty good for a few branches, and one of Faruzan's branches was good, but the rest have been middling. Kaveh just isn't an interesting character, and I think the banner sales show that. Money isn't made from pulling a character once, it's made from chasing constellations and weapons, and it doesn't seem like anybody particularly cares for Kaveh.
She's my most excited part of 3.7. I am hoping with her I can make a workable team for my Cyno. He hits so damn hard in his burst, but when he's not in it, he might as well be a wet noodle. His interrupt resist is one of the worst I've seen from a melee character, so hopefully her shield can keep up and keep him attacking. Plus climbing up walls is gonna be faster. QoL and all that. I doubt Fontaine is gonna have the Dendro sky hooks for us to zip around like Sumeru has, so climbing is probably back on the menu.

But yea, 3.7 is definitely a filler patch. Let's hope the 3.8 islands and the storyline is enough to make that patch interesting. There hasn't been a bad X.8 patch yet, so I'm looking forward to it.

The game was already giving me 100% reasons to stop after a full month of incredibly garbage artifacts, even with the use of condesed resins and the box.
It was already a sign that the next patch would be pratically a nail in the coffin from the beta. They should be thankfull if they even had enought people to participate their beta program. Pretty sure people will be too much busy playing a superior game which launched not ago. Honestly, I just didn't think it would be at that level that soon.
I think it was a combination of a bunch of things that made these sales low. First of all, not many were excited for Baizhu or Kaveh. They aren't particularly useful or strong, and Baizhu's shield refresh mechanic was kinda shit once people got their hands on it. Star Rail came out this patch and you'd have to assume it cannabalized a bunch of players from Genshin, since there are shared demographics that would enjoy both games.
honkai-star-rail-seele-banner-revenue-report.jpg

That's just the first banner for Star Rail and it beat the strongest Genshin solo banner (Original Raiden Shogun banner) in total sales.

Also, you can't discount fatigue/burnout with Genshin. We've been at it for years now, there have to be dips in both quality and participation because nobody can keep that up day after day for 3 years. I personally have just been burning resin once a day and doing dailies for the past few weeks. I'm kinda glad their events have been very little time commitment lately.

I think 4.0 will have some big stuff to make everyone excited, we had a lot of the same sentiment at the end of Inazuma too. But damn, they really could show us some character designs to get excited about. Fontaine has been 2 thumbs down from me ever since the megaleaks 6 months ago.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that the Baizhu banner sales I posted was still 7 million dollars. In a month. On iOS only. In China only. Which means you still have the revenue from Android/PS5/PC from all other territories, so it could easily have been 50 million dollars total at the end of the day. Any mobile game would KILL for that kind of revenue. I do think it shows MHY that they didn't do a good job with Baizhu/Kaveh, but it's a far cry from being so low that it's forcing MHY to make any changes or put them into panic mode.
But I think it's time to stop playing and this time for good. Maybe this will make them learn to take feedback more seriously instead of taking years to implement fan suggested features and quality of life stuff. Not to mention writting which is at excrement level and character pandering. I'm still mad that Xynian was never fixed, but if this game falls is probably for the best...she deserved better from a cocky company like them.
Nothing wrong with taking a break and uninstalling. I'm gonna keep on keeping on though, I still enjoy new exploration zones when they're released. I am noticing that I feel that my account has hit saturation with elemental coverage though, so my desire to pull new characters is less and less. Couple that with the designs getting worse, I think it's gonna be tougher for Genshin to hold my attention unless they shake something up.

I'm hoping we get level 100 soon, with buffs and adjustments for all characters in the form of new passives. That'd be the perfect chance to fix characters like Xinyan/Amber/Dehya without them admitting that the characters are terrible and doing balance adjustments, which they seem allergic to. Also, our skills have been saying that the maximum level is 15 since the game launched, but we're stuck at 13 with crowns and constellations. You know they have something planned for further character growth. Hot damn I bet it's gonna be a grind though.

Fake

I wish I had an option to uninstall the card game. Is require a modest space on my PS4. Can't hold much longer after Fountaine.

Top Bottom