• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

Pejo

I see. Must be a JP thing then. I've even had times where there is no text for one of the dialogue choices.

I agree about the rat tail. Should give us an option to cut that ugly thing off.
So after getting far enough in the story, I started hitting completely blank text boxes and empty dialogue. Lots of really stiff wording and flowery Chinese descriptions of shit too. Stuff like "Here comes my next attack using all of my Xi WanWeng. I must take it to the river to effervesce in its Xuangzhu." Really hope the game gets a proper localization effort. People skip Genshin's story and I think it's as good as a localization as you can get going from Chinese to English. They're never gonna read a single thing in this game after the first few lines with how bad it is. Not to mention they just start hitting you with game terms as soon as you start, like you're supposed to have any fucking idea what that means. "Oh no, here comes the Resonance and the Tacit Deformers!" Explain that shit first, damn..

Clearly this is a beta, and hopefully they get sufficient feedback and make some changes. I don't think the story is awful, but it's presented in a way that makes it a very difficult chore to get through. I dunno if you made it to the sheep/shepherd story but I couldn't follow that literally at all.

Combat is getting even better now that I'm able to fight the equivalent of Genshin's Ascension material bosses. They're significantly challenging and the fights are incredibly dynamic and fun. I fear that most of the encounters are too easy to really show off the battle system though. I got lucky and got one of the bigger boss wolves as a pokemon and that thing pretty much 1 shots any regular encounter in a huge 2 hit AoE

After a while they introduce a gadgets wheel, and so far I've got the "elemental sight" thing but they call it "sensor", a grappling hook (but not enough grapple points around the world IMO), camera and levitation tool for solving puzzles.

Turns out the puzzles are there, just like Genshin. A bit more challenging (at least for now) because there's some different types that make you think in multiple layers. Nothing that's gonna fry your brains but it beats "hit color with opposite color".

Anyways, the more I play, the more I realize it's literally just Genshin in EVERY aspect, with less money put into development. Better combat, bigger booba, less twinks, better traversal, worse just about everything else.

I did all of what I can currently do until I level up my "totally NOT AR", so now I'll probably just explore and do puzzles a bit later to see what the world might be hiding.

I think it's a damn fine start for a much smaller company than MHY though. Certainly a better game altogether than Tower of Fantasy, and it even borrows a bit from that game too. If it grows and puts some pressure on MHY to keep improving, it will have done its job. Not sure I will play both games long term, but I'll at least play at official launch to see what's improved.

If any of you guys have questions, feel free to ask. Tomorrow I might record one of the boss fights if anybody's interested.

Holy shit 500k plunges! C6 R5 Xianyun I presume?
I never want to C6 any 5 star characters they just trivialize all the content even floor 12 Abyss. Well except the standard 5 stars I guess.
Yea that's megawhaled out. She still does 130-180k with a C0 F2P build though which is crazy for a 'support'. I've seen her enable lots of teams with C6 Bennett and Furina as a plunge vaper. I saw a QiQi main dps dong 360k plunges on reddit a few days ago in that team. I still don't love toilet plunge gameplay, but it's nice that she's extremely versatile, which is my most valued aspect of any character.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
In WW seems like if you pull on weapon banner you're 100% GUARANTEED to get Rate up weapon, pity at 80 pulls.

Overall is Genshin's system but improved

boom smile GIF

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That's good. Usually there's some minimum threshold you have to hit to get the returnee stuff, I think typically it's 45 days of not logging in.
It's two weeks, same with genshin.
Raiden Mei will go into the grindable (for free) shop next patch, so don't roll for her
Origin was the expa, not thunder, can't remember the last time thunder was on expansion supply
But no, there's not been anything added in the game that's been good in a very long time as for right now.
I wouldn't go that far, the story might've not been very interesting, but we got a bunch of fun mini-games, Seele's boss fight which was the most inventive one yet and of course vampire theresa.

jonnyXx

In WW seems like if you pull on weapon banner you're 100% GUARANTEED to get Rate up weapon, pity at 80 pulls.

boom smile GIF
If only Genshin was that reasonable.

A while back I tried for Alhaitham's weapon and lost to a Jade Spear at pity and then got Freedom Sworn at pity and then didn't have enough wishes for the guarantee.

Don't think I'll be pulling for any 5 star weapons again that banner is designed to drain your wishes. At the very least the guarantee should be after 1 loss not 2.

deanote666

329/333 chests in the new area... Pins on the interactive map aren't helpful so hard to say which 4 I'm missing... Some have multiple pins that apply to the same thing, some don't have pins but I've gotten, etc.

I very rarely don't get one of the 2 banner weapons on the weapon banner so it is almost a non-issue for me.

Pejo

boom smile GIF
I think the weapons aren't gonna be as valued in WW and they know it. In Genshin, you're basically playing a spreadsheet and hitting the right buttons in the right order for maximum effect, mostly regardless of what the enemies are doing, especially at the highest level. It depends on weapon passives and stats a lot. So far at least in WW, player skill makes up a more important chunk of the fight than just stats. Timing, dodging, using your skills at the right time based on enemy movesets etc. Being more skill based allows for some wiggle room in weapons, in my opinion. Not sure if that will be adjusted to make the weapons more attractive, or if it will become a bigger deal come 'endgame'. In the devs' other major game, Punishing Gray Raven, the weapons are about the same as in this game. Nice to have, not mandatory. The passives are ok but not game breaking, and a good player with a lower tier weapon will be better than a shitty player with maxed out 5* weapons.

It's two weeks, same with genshin.
That's the standard one, but in big returnee events they also have a second layer of additional freebies to entice players that meet some sort of length requirement. Last time I think they were giving away a free HoS and that was months before everyone else got her for free.
Origin was the expa, not thunder, can't remember the last time thunder was on expansion supply
Ah, my bad. I also wouldn't pull for Origin on her own either though, and probably only Bronya out of the IMG Trio at this point in the game with part 2 coming so soon.
I wouldn't go that far, the story might've not been very interesting, but we got a bunch of fun mini-games, Seele's boss fight which was the most inventive one yet and of course vampire theresa.
Fun is subjective, so I can only speak for myself. Most times for the minigames they copy a game from another genre and then somehow add leveling and chores to it to make it not fun (imo). I was surprised at how much I hated their "not-Peggle". I loved Peggle back in the day and was looking forward to it, but HI3 turned it into an awful grind full of time wasting RNG. I dreaded the summer dice minigame making a return, but the plants vs. zombies one is ok.

Ever since ER arc ended, the only story and event content I liked without "BUT"s was the Captainverse stuff, which I enjoyed 99% of. Never crafted that last gem in the Harvest Moon event and it still chaps my ass.

They just announced 7.3 global + Global anni stuff. I haven't seen a summary yet to see if we got shafted (again) yet though. I'm guessing yes.

Pejo

R Reizo Ryuu looks like we're getting 15 less pulls than CN/SEA got, so yea, shafted. (in HI3).

Star Rail bros, I'm having a conundrum. I recently had been using my Hanya in my DoT team with Kafka/Black Swan/Huo², thinking that her sill point regen was going to be a gamechanger, along with occasional Bleed she would cause when she broke something with physical toughness. I tried swapping my unbuilt level 70 Lil' Gui in for her just farming some Calyx stuff, and the team killed everything nearly twice as fast and with no real skillpoint issues at critical points.

Since I already have her semi-built out, I was looking and trying to figure out where the hell I can use her. I honestly don't see a team right now that really benefits from having her, outside of DHIL (who I don't have). Next banner update, Sparkle kinda takes her niche and she becomes even more useless. It's a real shame because I like her design and the idea of her kit, but without doing better damage or buffs, I feel like she's probably one of the worst characters in the game, especially after Sparkle releases. I tried using her in a team with Qingque but since it's accumulated skill points instead of just an insta-supply of skill points, she doesn't really feel good in that team either until 2-3 rounds into the fight.

Any of you guys using her anywhere? I guess I can hope that we get another DPS that eats skill points in the future. and that she'll work in that team. Sucks because I already wasted a lot of time farming stuff for her though.

Pejo Pejo
Ya if you’re teams are already doing well on SP, Hanya isn’t going to add much beyond her attack and spd buff from from her Ultimate. I find her nice for the extra SP so everyone can use a skill every turn if needed. Makes fights a little more comfy SP wise but that’s it. Her Ult and the dmg reduction (or rather increases damage enemies take which I think is a separate multiplier in the damage formula) from the burden effect off her skill is what she brings to the table.
For me that’s enough, because I like her design, as a physical support she’s fine in my book

But Gwen also has a damage reduction mechanic tied to one of her moves as well + she’s brining an extra dot that’s going to be up way more often then Hanyas bleed. So that’s an extra dot for Kafka to blow up.

I think either route works, and gearing up Hanya is very easy since she doesn’t need much to play her role. I have her with nothing but speed (151 I think) and tons of defensive stats. I may re work her slightly to raise her effect rez, but that’s on the back burner for now.

Gwen, I did get a copy of recently but I never built her already having Sampo and Luka fully built. And now with Swan… so I likely never will. I’m also not the biggest fan of Gwen, don’t hate her or anything but didn’t care for her streamer/influencer background.

Haohuo does enough healing/supoort as your only sustain? Nice.

I guess for the last slot you can just try and bunch of different characters based on specific fights. That’s what I’m going to do lol
I’m still building my Swan up, traces are almost all maxed out 10/10, LC is 80, she is 75.
It’s just Relic grind and I’m done, I have a few good pieces left over from the Kafka grind so I think I should be able to get her into a usable state before FF7Rebirth drops lol

Last edited:

Pejo

Pejo Pejo
Ya if you’re teams are already doing well on SP, Hanya isn’t going to add much beyond her attack and spd buff from from her Ultimate. I find her nice for the extra SP so everyone can use a skill every turn if needed. Makes fights a little more comfy SP wise but that’s it. Her Ult and the dmg reduction (or rather increases damage enemies take which I think is a separate multiplier in the damage formula) from the burden effect off her skill is what she brings to the table.
For me that’s enough, because I like her design, as a physical support she’s fine in my book

But Gwen also has a damage reduction mechanic tied to one of her moves as well + she’s brining an extra dot that’s going to be up way more often then Hanyas bleed. So that’s an extra dot for Kafka to blow up.

I think either route works, and gearing up Hanya is very easy since she doesn’t need much to play her role. I have her with nothing but speed (151 I think) and tons of defensive stats. I may re work her slightly to raise her effect rez, but that’s on the back burner for now.
Yea. I'll try them both out but in farming stages Gui really adds a ton of damage comparatively. I still gotta get Black Swann built out proper, but then I'm going to try this team on a tough encounter instead of just calyxes and artifact elites. I'd imagine Hanya is more useful in longer fights, but I dunno if her lack of damage is making the fights unnecessarily longer to begin with. Huo² is a fantastic solo sustain that also has a really big damage buff and energy charge on her Ult that helps the DoT team. I'd rather have a Fire or Physical tank that could solo sustain, but she does her job well (so far at least). I still think Fu Xuan is the best solo sustainer in the game. I saw leaks of Adventurine's gameplay today though, he looks like an amazing tank too. Kinda like an IMG element Gepard combined with Clara. (thicc shields + counters).
Gwen, I did get a copy of recently but I never built her already having Sampo and Luka fully built. And now with Swan… so I likely never will. I’m also not the biggest fan of Gwen, don’t hate her or anything but didn’t care for her streamer/influencer background.
She adds a lot of Burn stacks and the Firekiss thing can give up to like 25% extra damage taken to enemies, which is nutty in a DoT team. I don't think I would use her outside of one though.

My big problem though is what other teams I can use Hanya in...

-

Anyways, in other news. WW day 2, put a few more hours in tonight. I think I'm mostly done playing the beta for now. I finished the main story that's available in the beta, and towards the end, half of the text on the screen was either error codes or stuff like "Oh so [he=male, she=female] arrived" and "NPC_01_229818". about 75% of the text boxes were just completely blank and unfinished. It just needs a lot of work in both the story and localization stuff. The story fights were suitably fun and epic though, and the cutscenes were good. I caused a camera bug somehow during the last story boss I fought which fucked pretty much everything up and it kept focusing on random rocks and the sky and shit when I would do special moves, luckily it was almost dead when I triggered it.

They probably should have just made a proper demo with a scaled back explorable area and quests, because the longer you play, the more unfinished and glitchy stuff you run into. I believe that this game is probably further off from release than a lot of people expected. I think there will be a CBT3 for sure, and probably a 4th or 1-2 Open Betas after that before we start talking about release dates.

Anyways, after finishing the story, I explored around a bit, found a jumping puzzle which just felt awful to do on a KB/M. I think on a controller I'd have nailed it in 1-2 tries, but damn, took me like 50. Hope they have controller support added for the next Beta. Fought each of the world bosses (equivalent of Genshin's material bosses like the regisvines and cubes), and they were all unique from each other and a lot of fun. There was one flaming dude on motorcycle that was my favorite to fight. Most of the bosses have a Bloodborne-like "grab" move when they're incapacitated that you can go up and hit a button to do a cinematic move that does big damage.

I also managed to finish out the 50 rolls on the 'beginner' banner which guarantees a 5* character, and I got a Wind element monk girl. She was so ridiculously overpowered in my opinion. Like if Genshin mixed Venti and C6 Zhongli and gave her Beidou's counter. She could heal, create a beefy as fuck shield that also did decent AoE damage while it was being created, counter, and then her Ultimate was like Venti's succ that could pull in even larger enemies and group them before doing a big AoE blast at the end.

I haven't gotten a character yet that's not fun to use, even the healer. She's a pet class and you mostly attack with her dragon. Being able to equip the pokemon for extra attacks to make up for shortcomings in a kit, or to add synergy, is a great system. For instance, I gave the healer a robot that shoots a big ice beam about 20 feet ahead and creates a wall to prevent enemies from escaping and kinda pushes them towards you. It works well with her kit specifically because it puts the enemies at just about the perfect distance so that you can do her full combos without worrying about getting hit.

There were some really beautiful areas the more I explored, and the indoor stuff was great. The first area is this game's Liyue or "not China", so the Chinese aesthetics are thick, along with the character names being almost all Chinese. Hopefully like Genshin, other areas will have different themes and naming schemes and stuff. There's only so many Jings and Zhous and Qichis I can handle. One thing I was really impressed with was the weather effects for rain, and specifically the thunderstorms. They actually change all of the ground textures to different variants during a rain, so dirt looks like mud etc. The skyboxes for the game are gorgeous too. More than the the landscapes like Genshin, i spent a lot of time looking up at the night skies, stormy skys, and clouds.

I gave a lot of feedback in the surveys, so hopefully they take some of it to heart. I'd like to see this game grow and succeed, but it's obvious to me now that it's got a LOT of dev time left before it releases (at least I hope, it'd be a disaster to release it like this). The combat is the core of the enjoyment, everything else is "ok" but a clear step down from Genshin, and they were merciless with the copy/paste of systems, ideas, and content. The pokemon gear system is the 2nd best part, and I'm excited to see it fleshed out too. There's a surprisingly high variety of enemies even in the starter area, so hopefully they keep that trajectory and introduce lots of fun stuff to mix and match.

Latest Arle leaks talk about her taking off clothes/a coat and using dual blades.

6POpE9L.png

According to this she's not just tied to overload, but her team comps sound limited regardless.
Also interesting that they say she's "a good pull until Snezhnaya." What does that even mean? There's very few characters who fall off that much within one version.

Pejo

Latest Arle leaks talk about her taking off clothes/a coat and using dual blades.

According to this she's not just tied to overload, but her team comps sound limited regardless.
Also interesting that they say she's "a good pull until Snezhnaya." What does that even mean? There's very few characters who fall off that much within one version.
I know some of that is the translation, but holy shit what a confusing mess.

So she's a polearm that uses a scythe that uses dual blades. She is built for Overload but she's also built for Vape but only until Schneznaya. Her Burst is good for single target but also sometimes AoE. She has a charge attack but it's a modification of a reaction.

I'm gonna chalk this up to leakers just doing usual "look at me, i have the info" bs and just wait for more substantial leaks. It almost sounds like MHY is honeypotting the community with schizo leak information.

Sakura

R Reizo Ryuu looks like we're getting 15 less pulls than CN/SEA got, so yea, shafted. (in HI3).

Star Rail bros, I'm having a conundrum. I recently had been using my Hanya in my DoT team with Kafka/Black Swan/Huo², thinking that her sill point regen was going to be a gamechanger, along with occasional Bleed she would cause when she broke something with physical toughness. I tried swapping my unbuilt level 70 Lil' Gui in for her just farming some Calyx stuff, and the team killed everything nearly twice as fast and with no real skillpoint issues at critical points.

Since I already have her semi-built out, I was looking and trying to figure out where the hell I can use her. I honestly don't see a team right now that really benefits from having her, outside of DHIL (who I don't have). Next banner update, Sparkle kinda takes her niche and she becomes even more useless. It's a real shame because I like her design and the idea of her kit, but without doing better damage or buffs, I feel like she's probably one of the worst characters in the game, especially after Sparkle releases. I tried using her in a team with Qingque but since it's accumulated skill points instead of just an insta-supply of skill points, she doesn't really feel good in that team either until 2-3 rounds into the fight.

Any of you guys using her anywhere? I guess I can hope that we get another DPS that eats skill points in the future. and that she'll work in that team. Sucks because I already wasted a lot of time farming stuff for her though.
I think she is only really useful in boss fights. If you are just farming, then enemies will be dying before you really get the benefits of Hanya's abilities. But even in boss fights, only the difficult ones that last longer. Stuff like memory of chaos, for example, where you will want to clear it in as few turns as possible, I think she has limited use. It costs her 1 skill point to put the debuff on the enemy, so you need to attack that enemy with the debuff 4 times in order to get 1 extra SP from her ability. The time it takes for that to really start to pay off is just too long for most content in my opinion (for an end game player at least).
I think for a newer player though she is probably a very useful character.
I also don't think she is very good for that team. Huo Huo isn't using her skill every turn, so just doing basic attack with Hanya and Huo Huo already makes you skill point neutral. Youtuber girl is just a better fit for that team.

Pejo

Was on the fence because I kept hearing how she’s not good until later copies, but this alone would be extremely handy.
It seems like a very "endgame" tier character skill. Just being able to bypass all standard encounters in the overworld and SU seems like a really poor decision when we're only on planet 3 of ???

This seems like the kind of skill you give to a character when the game is just about wrapping up its main story. Who in their right mind wouldn't use Acheron for general exploration/SU now?

*edit*

You even get the drops still...

Last edited:

deanote666

Have commissions set to Sumeru since I got all of them in Fontaine (as of 4.3 anyway), and realized that I was probably missing the last gourmet supremos daily in Inazuma...

Was able to get it on the 3rd day of setting dailies back to Inazuma. Back to Sumeru I go...

Pejo

Have commissions set to Sumeru since I got all of them in Fontaine (as of 4.3 anyway), and realized that I was probably missing the last gourmet supremos daily in Inazuma...

Was able to get it on the 3rd day of setting dailies back to Inazuma. Back to Sumeru I go...
Yea that quest chain is a pain in the nuts. So many dependencies on daily quests, and most of them were time locked so you had to go back to old areas after they released the updates.

For Cloud Retainer I’ve been reading some people doing 2pc Atk, 2pc Atk instead of VV. I can kind of see that, swirls aren’t the most reliable, and CR doesn’t seem that great at swirling compared to someone like Sucrose.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Well, looks like Acheron lets you just not bother playing most of the game anymore in HSR...

lol this seems completely broken for the game's current stage. What's next, a unit that one-shots all hard content?

Last edited:

jonnyXx

Wow they are seriously splitting up the 3 wishes and handing them out 1 at a time over 5 days along with some other items.
Enjoy your 3 Debate Clubs peasants.

o9aRcJW.jpg

Pejo

Wow they are seriously splitting up the 3 wishes and handing them out 1 at a time over 5 days along with some other items.
Enjoy your 3 Debate Clubs peasants.

o9aRcJW.jpg
Why are they so fucking stingy on their multiple billions dollar game? I don't get it...

Pejo

Whew, hadn't had much time to play lately so I just finished up that battle event tonight. I really enjoyed that one. Wish they had an option for us to use our own characters if we wanted to, but otherwise I liked thinking on my feet and making new teams on the fly. I only failed twice before I saw there was a button to see which enemies you'd be facing in the upcoming round. Accidentally went up against those ice shelled seahorses with an all cryo/Anemo team and timed out, and had an all Hydro team vs. the hydro animals once so I just manually restarted.

Cooking event is nice. It's been a while since we had a good story focused low time commitment mode that lets us see what older characters are up to. I liked the dynamics with Faruzan, Dori, and Layla. Layla was a one note "uhhhh i'm so sleeeeepy" like usual, but Faruzan and Dori were fun. Also that meat dish looked good as hell and I would try that in real life. Reminds me of Turducken which is delicious.

Man, Dori's JP VA must be having a blast recording this stuff.

I didn't care too much about the previous one because we've seen plenty of Lynette & co lately, but it's nice to see these less prominent characters again. Faruzan and Dori are definitely some of the most colorful characters in the cast, and Layla can act like the straight man.

The cooking however does absolutely nothing for me.

Pejo

Interesting species/race tier list I saw on reddit. I agree with most of this other than Qilin is just a single type of Illuminated Beast, not a categorization of all of them. Also I think some of the "cursed humans" aren't listed correctly, but still mostly agree. Spoilering in case people here aren't caught up with all of the archon quests yet since Sumeru/Fontaine both have spoilers in the chart.

ph7bsrl2gmkc1.jpeg

Man, Dori's JP VA must be having a blast recording this stuff.
Now I have to youtube that scene in JP.
I didn't care too much about the previous one because we've seen plenty of Lynette & co lately, but it's nice to see these less prominent characters again. Faruzan and Dori are definitely some of the most colorful characters in the cast, and Layla can act like the straight man.

The cooking however does absolutely nothing for me.
The minigame itself is pretty inoffensive though. At least I don't have to bounce between 200 NPCs and enter a domain etc.
*edit*

Nice Cloud Retonetta art:

Last edited:

Pejo

4.5 Special program on March 1st.
tnmsw8ftu8lc1.png

InterMusketeer InterMusketeer looks like you get to try again for Kirara cons.

Star Rail leaks - Looks like Acheron's previous Technique (the insta-kill 1 hit attack) got changed, rightfully so. Still insanely powerful but now it does a powerful DoT and buffs Acheron for 3 entire waves of enemies.

Honkai Impact - "Part 2" (complete game engine update and new combat mechanics etc) starts in less than 24 hours for Global version, which is also Global's anniversary patch. I think the new content and characters look like shit but they're doing a pre-registration campaign and giving a lot of freebies out. If you guys ever wanted to try it, it's probably not a terrible time. I'm giving them 3-5 patches to make Part 2 interesting to me at all, if they can't, I'm uninstalling for good.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Honkai Impact still has updates?
? Of course, why wouldn't it?
It paid for genshin to even exist, and it's their "favourite" project even if it's not as popular, and it has a very strong and psychotic fanbase; this entire part 2 update is geared to make honkai more popular.

Pejo

I gotta say, I'm loving Star Rail introducing tons of morally grey, quirky, and weird characters. This is what I wanted from Genshin for years. I really like the trajectory of that game lately, and the writer of the current story arc wrote some of the absolute best chapters of Honkai Impact and the story I've played so far in Star Rail 2.0 has been fantastic.

The Sparkle trailers have been great, too, but they've always been able to cut a good trailer:

SSfox

? Of course, why wouldn't it?
It paid for genshin to even exist, and it's their "favourite" project even if it's not as popular, and it has a very strong and psychotic fanbase; this entire part 2 update is geared to make honkai more popular.
Oh I thought they only support star rail, didn't know that

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Prelim impressions from playing from the start till amber street.
The new stuff almost feels like a new game entirely, everything feels much smoother and the new areas having full draw distance with no pop in is a very welcome upgrade.
The combat feels like a step between part 1 and APHO, in the sense that it doesn't go fully dmc like APHO does, but still gives extra vertical mechanics; the astral ring system is also pretty cool since it slightly changes the character's attacks, and all in all alternating between two attack buttons quite a bit feels much more engaging.
Narratively so far it seems to go for less techno babble and more mystery novel, so I'm actually intrigued. The music is amazing imo, the combat music is epic sci fi like mass effect, but the narrative stuff feels more like you're exploring some kind of cosmic horror; the home base stuff is cool to and it's especially nice you can buy tracks like honkai world diva and just have that playing as the default.
It's also pretty cool how they handled the home base menu, being able to pause on the spot while seeing the full menu is nicer than I expected. Also seeing lambda as the official AI now is good too.
While it's nice you can craft stigs with that new resource, it seems you need the same resource to even upgrade stigs, so it might be better to not just craft like crazy until you've upgraded a full set.

I checked out some other modes, but while everything does feel smoother overall, all the other upgrades don't carry over, there's still the same old draw distance/pop in for older stuff.
Managed to get all 3 new valks in 2 multis, so that's pretty lucky, have only been able to try senadina briefly in ER, and she controls pretty good there, ER upgrades basically allow her to loop the weapon combo forever without downtime.
Will try to get her pri, but I don't seem to be lucky on the equip supply.

Pejo

Prelim impressions from playing from the start till amber street.
The new stuff almost feels like a new game entirely, everything feels much smoother and the new areas having full draw distance with no pop in is a very welcome upgrade.
I like particularly the improved animations during dialogue scenes and in-game cutscenes. The Senadina/Dreamseeker dance made me cringe so damn hard I almost shat my eyeballs out of my toes, though. New environments are nice.
The combat feels like a step between part 1 and APHO, in the sense that it doesn't go fully dmc like APHO does, but still gives extra vertical mechanics; the astral ring system is also pretty cool since it slightly changes the character's attacks, and all in all alternating between two attack buttons quite a bit feels much more engaging.
I'm not a fan of it so far, but I haven't had time to go through the tutorials for the new valks, so I was just winging it. Feedback feels bad, all 3 characters feel super weak. APHO managed to make the TTK on normal enemies longer but I still felt sufficiently powerful. With Sena and the gang I feel like I'm whittling down even the little fish and crabs with like a million little hits. I still vastly prefer the full DMC-ness of APHO to this new combat - so far. I'll actually learn the characters later and evaluate it again. I also hate the constantly flashing on-screen buttons, gonna see if I can disable those on PC.
Narratively so far it seems to go for less techno babble and more mystery novel, so I'm actually intrigued.
The plot itself is better and at least understandable unlike the metaphor/philosophy heavy stuff of the 1.5 horse shit, but there's still way too much dialogue bloat and bouncing around nobody NPCs just to pad the story "playtime". I didn't like the "tutorial" type feel that the intro to part 2 had where you couldn't explore/do anything other than what they wanted you to do for the first 2 hours. Songque was a pleasant surprise, and Sena has her moments. Not a fan of the rest of the cast so far.
The music is amazing imo, the combat music is epic sci fi like mass effect, but the narrative stuff feels more like you're exploring some kind of cosmic horror; the home base stuff is cool to and it's especially nice you can buy tracks like honkai world diva and just have that playing as the default.
Yea they FINALLY got some combat music that doesn't sound like something I made in 2002 with a Casio sampler keyboard. For as much good music as HI3 had in its libarary, we barely ever got to hear any of it in actual gameplay. Also loving the jukebox in the player's room. That default jazz porno song is great, but I found an NPC that sells part 1 OST songs so naturally my first purchase was "NEEVEEEEEERR LEEEET YOU GO"
It's also pretty cool how they handled the home base menu, being able to pause on the spot while seeing the full menu is nicer than I expected. Also seeing lambda as the official AI now is good too.
Yea I like that the new lobby background is just wherever the fuck you are in the open world mode with whichever active character you were using. It'd be nice if they eventually let you pick Part 1 valks and change the music though. I know the legacy bridge is still there, but it would seem to be an easy thing to change and add to the new one.
While it's nice you can craft stigs with that new resource, it seems you need the same resource to even upgrade stigs, so it might be better to not just craft like crazy until you've upgraded a full set.
I had never purchased anything from the Supply shop, so I had 7k currency carry over to the new one, on top of immediately having enough old exchange mats to empty out that shop where you trade the time structures, resonance items, etc for new cubes. So I'm set on those for a while. I got really lucky on the new gacha. Sena + a copy of Helia in 20 pulls, her Yo-Yo in 10, crafted the stigs. This leads to one of my biggest issues though, it feels more worthless than ever to actually pull characters. Seems like Trial characters can even be displayed as your lobby background now, you can use all of the new characters in the open world limitlessly, the new battle mode has recommended trial characters.... Like what the fuck is even the point of pulling and building characters now? Abyss and Memorial Arena then just use trial everywhere else. If you don't need to pull, you don't even need to play abyss. Seems stupid.
I checked out some other modes, but while everything does feel smoother overall, all the other upgrades don't carry over, there's still the same old draw distance/pop in for older stuff.
Didn't they originally mention that they would be transitioning some of the more recent valks over to the 2.0 improvements? I was surprised that nobody is really talking about that yet. Like RIP those people that pulled on Hua and her gear last patch and now she's basically unusuable anywhere on top of being a minor upgrade to a built DA. I could have sworn they mentioned that they'd be migrating some valks before.
Managed to get all 3 new valks in 2 multis, so that's pretty lucky, have only been able to try senadina briefly in ER, and she controls pretty good there, ER upgrades basically allow her to loop the weapon combo forever without downtime.
I don't play ER outside of 1 run per week for the crystals, so I don't really give a shit until Luna gets a weather she can't rip and tear right through.
Will try to get her pri, but I don't seem to be lucky on the equip supply.
I don't really enjoy her gameplay very much. I'm still really underwhelmed with the first of the Part 2 cast. I feel like they really should have pulled out all the stops and given us something really bombastic and over the top instead of a yo-yo Elysia lite™ and 2 literal Star Rail NPC looking characters.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the big boost of overall quality in the game, and the localization got markedly better instantly over the last patch. No more weird idioms and Google Translate feeling lines, and the enhanced character dialogue animations really add to the experience. Wish they'd do a better interactive storytelling method than making us bounce between random PoI's and talk to NPCs for 10 minute exposition dumps though. Like a more seemless battle into story type combination or even just having more cutscenes with cool shit happening. I hate how wordy HI3 is as of late.

Top Bottom