• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gensou Suikoden Tierkreis - This week in Japan & March in America

Captain N

Its not really the best week for this game to come out with a lot of people from GAF all getting Dissidia Final Fantasy instead. I will take one for the team and get this on Friday.

Japan 12 • 18 • 08

USA 3 • 17 • 09

• Send characters away and have friends complete missions with them
• Your characters will come back with new items and gained EXP.
Nintendo Power via Error said:
• Its design is comparable to previous Suikoden titles.
• Battle System controlled by d-pad or stylus.
• Co-op attacks still exist.
• Short, medium, and long-ranged attacks.
• Game progression mission based.
• Potch gained from completed missions, not dropped from enemies.
• Weapons bought instead of upgraded.
• No True Runes
• No one-on-one duels
• No strategic battles
• No re-occurring characters confirmed yet.
• Set in parallel world. ???

This post will be updated as we learn more about the game after its release.

SoulFist

The game looks pretty interesting, but I'm still leery going into it with all those changes and such. The duels were always so epic.

duckroll

I feel kinda sad for Suikoden. Not that I have much interest in the series at all, but I would think it at least has a fanbase that would result in a proper official thread for the release of the game. Although... I suppose there'll be one when the US version is out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hopefully there is an option to slow down the voice acting. :lol

RedBoot

Three month translation time is pretty damn good, but then Konami was pretty quick with Suikoden 5 as well (I think it was only about a month or so between the JP and US releases). Really liking this new trend of speedy localizations, like Atlus getting P4 out in about 5 months, and with Square pushing for worldwide releases. Really makes some companies look bad (NOA: New Pokemon DP game? Featuring about 90% of the same text as the last two? We'll have it done in six months).

As for Suikoden Tierkreis itself, the apparent lack of most elements that make up a Suikoden game worries me, but it seems to be getting good reviews in Japan (well, Famitsu). I'll give it a shot of course, but that has more to do with being a starved Suikoden fan than anything else. I'm just glad Konami hasn't abandoned the series.

duckroll

Captain N said:
This post will be updated as we learn more about the game after its release.

Somehow I doubt that, since it doesn't even contain information that is already known. It doesn't even contain much info at all.... :/

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
1UP posted an interview with Masayuki Saruta a few days ago:
The game is set across the entire world, and it even allows players to explore other worlds in the "Million Worlds" universe, the setting for Suikoden: Tierkreis. Now, with the increased scope of game world, players will be able to experience the various political conflicts in smaller regions and see how it causes larger events to unfold on a worldwide scale.
We normally don't disclose too much info on the structure of our development teams, but Tierkreis is being developed internally at Konami, as was done with Suikodens I through IV. Of course, a part of V's staff is working on Tierkreis.
The new system we're using for the large-scale battles allows the player to create smaller fighting units that fight across the larger battlefield, with specific subgoals for them to complete. This allows many characters to participate in the battles. By giving the player the opportunity to create multiple parties to fight in the large battles, players will need to strategize on the best ways to create each party, since they'll be fighting bigger enemies in the different battlefields at the same time. This new system creates a deep, challenging combat system for the large-scale battles.
As usual with the Suikoden series, the foes continue to be nuanced and realistic, which plays into the rich story of Suikoden: Tierkreis. It's hard to talk too much about the evil forces at work in Tierkreis without spoiling the story, but by the end, I think you'll see how unique the enemies are -- and that they differ from the common antagonists of traditional high-fantasy stories.

Looks like this isn't a game leading up to another project (or he's covering that up well):
The plan after Tierkreis hasn't been decided, but we'll continue to develop games that will expand the core appeal of the franchise to a wider audience. My hope is that all previous and new fans of Suikoden will continue to love the series for as long as possible.
While I can't comment directly on the future plans for Suikoden, I can say that I hope we continue to create Suikoden titles in the future. With this in mind, I think our goal will be to create new games that attract as many new players to the established franchise in order to grow the fan base.

As we've done with Tierkreis, we think there are ways to improve the existing gameplay as long as we're starting with a fun, interesting system. In addition, I think it's not always wise to force improvements on systems just for tradition's sake. We used this idea to challenge ourselves and make new gameplay systems that are as exciting as the ones in previous games.

MotherFan

RedBoot said:
Three month translation time is pretty damn good, but then Konami was pretty quick with Suikoden 5 as well (I think it was only about a month or so between the JP and US releases). Really liking this new trend of speedy localizations, like Atlus getting P4 out in about 5 months, and with Square pushing for worldwide releases. Really makes some companies look bad (NOA: New Pokemon DP game? Featuring about 90% of the same text as the last two? We'll have it done in six months).

As for Suikoden Tierkreis itself, the apparent lack of most elements that make up a Suikoden game worries me, but it seems to be getting good reviews in Japan (well, Famitsu). I'll give it a shot of course, but that has more to do with being a starved Suikoden fan than anything else. I'm just glad Konami hasn't abandoned the series.

Damn, that is short for Suikoden 5, especially since it had voice acting. It was such a good addition to the series, I played it twice in a row: I missed stars the first time (no walkthrough on first playthrough, I love not knowing whats going to happen). Second time I went with all stars.

I know this does not sound like a traditional Suikoden, but this is a spinoff. The other spinoffs were not traditional Suikoden either. I am very interested to see how this fits into the lore of the Suikoden world.

Hive

Banned
Notes and opinions:

- This game got very good scores in famitsu~
- Voice Overs are atrocious in Japanese and in English
- graphics and environments are some of the most detailed seen for DS
- I want Vandal Hearts series, instead... :/

D-Pad

The new system we're using for the large-scale battles allows the player to create smaller fighting units that fight across the larger battlefield, with specific subgoals for them to complete. This allows many characters to participate in the battles. By giving the player the opportunity to create multiple parties to fight in the large battles, players will need to strategize on the best ways to create each party, since they'll be fighting bigger enemies in the different battlefields at the same time. This new system creates a deep, challenging combat system for the large-scale battles.

This sounds like fun. Definately different than anything I've played before. Seriously looking forward to trying this out...

...In March...

Hive said:
- Voice Overs are atrocious in Japanese and in English
Hopefully they fix this? (lolol yeah right :(()

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
Calints Neos said:
Overrated
Hero1.png

Augemitbutter said:
i hate how we get teased for more than a decade, just to get a whole new universe.

not funny.
At least this is a spin-off, if it was Suikoden VI then I'd be pissed.

That 1up interview sounds great. I like the idea of the multi-party large scale battles :D

duckroll

Maybe the reason is simply because the creative force wants to? When designers give fans what they want, it's milking and fanservice, when designers do what they want, fans are unhappy. :lol

The director of Tierkreis is the director of Rhapsodia (Suikoden Tactics), so it's no surprise that he'll want to explore the story from that angle.

dunno about that...

i liked suiko tactics, but you can draw alot of creativity out of the existing universe already. its almost like theyre trying to see how far they could go with a new world concept.

Xelinis

Game's been out for a few days already. Any word on the series fan reaction yet? I'm getting the feeling that this is going to stir up a lot of debate.

jesusraz

Dunno about fans in general, but this has been keeping me from diving into Tales of Hearts properly. The soundtrack's so good I keep just putting my DS down to leave certain tunes playing constantly whilst I do other work!

I lost interest in the Suikoden series after III nearly bored me to death...(loved I and II), bought IV but didn't have enough time to commit to it properly, then skipped V and Tactics. But I'm loving this right from the off. Surprised people are slating the voice acting as it sounds more than adequate. The game's really visually impressive as well - far more than I thought it would be.

I need to tear myself away to play ToH at some point, though...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I think there was another thread with impressions towards the end. The one warning Himuro away, IIRC. :lol

Raistlin

duckroll said:
I feel kinda sad for Suikoden. Not that I have much interest in the series at all, but I would think it at least has a fanbase that would result in a proper official thread for the release of the game. Although... I suppose there'll be one when the US version is out.

Duck Amuck said:
Count on it.

Duck Amuck
Banned
(12-15-2008, 10:42 PM)
Reply | Quote

Maybe not :lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Seems to have almost nothing in common with the Suikoden series and the story sounds retarded. Definitely not buying a DS for this.

Nose Master said:
Little over an hour in, and I'm liking it more than S5. Not even being able to understand the story.

You like it better than S5? For me, it's definitely better than 4, even with somewhat lack of connection to the rest of the series. But S5 is better, solely because of Viki.

I just finished the quest resulting to the 1st HQ upgrade. I'm currently searching for stars.

At first, it doesn't feel Suikoden-y for me but after an hour or two in the game, it does feel like one. But I hate the new magic system. Please return the True Runes. I also like the SoD. It's so varied.

+ HQ
+ New Races
+ Character Model reflects equiped weapons

Dislikes:
- New Magic System
- 3D Sprites for some characters are too generic-looking.
- No Viki
- Almost ZERO Connection to the rest of the series.

For a spin-off, I'd say definitely better than Rhapsodia. But I think due to the desire of Konami to expand the market, they missed the potential of connecting this one with most of the known Suikoverse.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Duck Amuck said:
Expect an official thread maybe tomorrow or sum shyt.
Welcome back. I'm certainly looking forward to playing this game, from the videos of what I've been able to catch it looks to be pretty cool.

Hobbun

I was leery about this title at first with all the changes. But if you take the outlook of it being a game on it's own instead of how different it is from previous Suikoden titles, it sounds pretty decent. At least it gives you some good turn-based combat, which is unfortunately starting to become a rare breed these days.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This one wasn't on my radar AT ALL, but I've been playing through Suikoden 1 again via PSN... I had forgotten how fantastic the franchise is.

So, I'll probably jump in.

Hobbun

Llyranor said:
Is this typical typical JRPG turn-based, or does it have specific gameplay combat mechanics?

From my understanding, it does have the typical JRPG turn-based combat, which I am glad for. Too many RPGs have unfortunately strayed away from that now.

Duck Amuck said:
Impressions for the game have been pretty good.

People say the story is real good, that the gameplay is fun. Some even say that it feels more Suikoden-ish than III-V.

Expect an official thread maybe tomorrow or sum shyt.

Yes,
having bought and played the Japanese version
, I agree that it feels more Suikoden-ish than SIV but definitely not than SIII or SV.
Tierkreis feels kinda mystical in some way. Too sad that it doesn't have runes per se

Llyranor said:
Is this typical typical JRPG turn-based, or does it have specific gameplay combat mechanics?

Spoiler:
It has a typical JRPG turn-based gameplay with Suikoden mechanics in the mix. So there are unite attacks (in which support characters can now participate in), the new customizable magic system (casting use MP), changeable weapon and armors and more usable characters (as there's no war-specific characters)

Can´t wait. Wil buy a DS when this comes out. Are Nintendo DS region free btw? It will propably be realesed way earlier in US than here in Sweden. If its realesed here at all.

And I just want to brag a little about the christmas gift I got from my girfriend this year
waYSLfEAX.png

il_fullxfull.48781618.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Tenkai Star said:
Can´t wait. Wil buy a DS when this comes out. Are Nintendo DS region free btw? It will propably be realesed way earlier in US than here in Sweden. If its realesed here at all.
Yup, no region protection.

Gallagher said:
Fuck that shit... gimme Suikoden 6 :(

Konami's Suikoden producer Takahiro Sakiyama mentioned that the development of Suikoden VI has already began, the game may have references to a previous Suikoden game.

News from 2006 since then nothing. Konami you ********!!!

Tenkai Star said:

And I just want to brag a little about the christmas gift I got from my girfriend this year
waYSLfEAX.png

il_fullxfull.48781618.jpg

Yup, region free. That's why I play JP and NA games. And is that the Souleater rune in that glass? Cool, if it is.

Gallagher said:
Fuck that shit... gimme Suikoden 6 :(
Most of us in Suikoden-specific forums think that if Tierkreis don't make enough sales, there will be no Suikoden 6.

At the start, I'm hesitant about Tierkreis but I gave it a chance and played it. It won't reach the level of Suikoden 2 but it's Suikoden still. I enjoyed playing it.

shykyoichi said:
Yup, region free. That's why I play JP and NA games. And is that the Souleater rune in that glass? Cool, if it is.

Most of us in Suikoden-specific forums think that if Tierkreis don't make enough sales, there will be no Suikoden 6.

At the start, I'm hesitant about Tierkreis but I gave it a chance and played it. It won't reach the level of Suikoden 2 but it's Suikoden still. I enjoyed playing it.
Yep its Soul Eater

Suikoden-specific forum? Suikox? Suikosource?

Tenkai Star said:
Yep its Soul Eater

Suikoden-specific forum? Suikox? Suikosource?

Cool. I love the Souleater rune. Definitely one of the best-looking along with Blue Moon.

Both Suikox and Suikosource. :D

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
shykyoichi said:
Cool. I love the Souleater rune. Definitely one of the best-looking along with Blue Moon.

Looks like a scythe mixed with the number "2". Very random. As much as I care for the Suikoden series, I can't see how anyone can find the Soul Eater rune attractive. To each his own, I guess.

Top Bottom