• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley's Summer Games Fest - June 8th (Thursday)

drotahorror

charlton heston laughing GIF

I wonder how much of your own money you've sunk into helping the industry without expecting anything in return?

I used to dislike Keighley back in the day but to deny he's passionate about the video game industry is retarded.

I think it was last year that I was just mentally exhausted after watching trailer after trailer with explosions, magic particles, guns going off, stuff flying into the camera and then the inevitable closing shot of a huge monster roaring and a cut to black to a logo.

Oof.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Fun interview. Some notes:

- Keighley said that E3 announcing that they're coming back for a small amount of time and then the loss of E3 shortly after never affected their summer show's content at all. He honestly doesn't even know what they were going to show. He is saddened that E3 is gone, and the main reason he made Summer Games Fest a few years ago was because the writing was on the wall with E3 pre-covid, and covid just accelerated this issue even further, much faster.

- Keighley wants to make SGF and VGA more interactive somehow. He isn't sure how profitable it could be to do what E3 used to do, but he definitely wants something more within the next 5-10 years of building things up more.

- Keighley really has passion for video games and loves the art. He loves the art of video games games, the art of music, and the art of film, and he constantly wants to celebrate all 3 through his venues. He understands that live shows might not be for everyone so he will always find ways to improve the experience so that the 3 can co-exist. It's a delicate balancing act for him(I assume also because he has no choice but to do sponsors to help pay the bills).

-Keighley recalls the VGA(still under Spike TV) when Joel McHale was co-hosting. He actually was not happy(it showed on camera) during those moments where Joel was a bit too abrasive on camera. He said behind the scenes Joel is actually a nice guy and loves gaming, but his script and his performance made it seem like a different story. He said on-screen Joel and off-screen Joel were like two different people. However, they are still friends today after that misunderstanding.

-When the Spike TV deal fell through years ago, Keighley had to put a ton of his own money up to keep the VGAs going on it's own without a TV deal. It was a big gamble. He had to call in a ton of favors, including contacts from Nintendo, Sony, and MS, to get them to play ball and attend and Britney Spears lent him her theater(?) to use for the show. Thankfully since Geoff is such a great figure and people person in the industry that it worked out well enough to where the show could go on, and then more sponsors came along once the streaming numbers increased year by year.

-Keighley does read forums and social media comments quite a bit (they mention NeoGAF among the list). He said he does appreciate whenever you guys are positive and receptive towards whatever he brings to the table and he does understand the complaints and jokes at times too. He says that he does have decently thick skin to be able to handle the more heavy criticisms. For him it sucks when he lets you all down as he really respects your opinions. At the same time it's a difficult balancing act for each show including what he was given to show and what he's allowed to show.

-Keighley misses doing his old E3 interviews with big figures in gaming, and he is thinking about doing a podcast where he will have special guests each episode like Phil Spencer or Doug Bowser, etc.

-Keighley may be looking to try and fix the confusion between awards like 'best game design and innovation' and 'best game direction' because they can be seen as the same thing to many people even if they aren't.

-Keighley may have a better plan for when someone is giving a speech for more than 5 minutes. He is thinking of ways to do it respectfully.

-Jaffe asked Keighley if he might 'Kill Esports award categories and instead bring in fun categories like best new character or something'. Keighley's response: Maybe.

-Jaffe asked Keighley who would host if he was ever unable to do it due to sickness or something: Kyle Bosman(Former Easy Allies host and also semi-known in the industry).

-Jaffe side note: Jaffe will attempt to meet with the production team behind the Twisted Metal TV show for Season 2. He was unable to meet with them for Season 1 due to traveling issues and it being Covid-19 at their time of filming.

-Jaffe side note 2: Jaffe has a game he's been developing here and there called Tripshot. He still has a passion for video games but he's not looking to develop something with huge backing because he's wanting to pivot his career to journalism/podcasting. He feels that he can give a more raw, unfiltered opinion about video games. Keighley gives him a bit of advice and says that it's a good thing that he has controversial opinions from time to time that sparks conversation.

Keighley is a good dude with his passion on his sleeve. I think a lot of people here give him a hard time because of how important his events are/have the potential to be in a post-E3 climate. People are holding him to high standards.

I will also say that a large portion (myself included) wouldn't miss a show regardless of quality just because Keighley has somehow captured the true microcosm of E3 - the absolutely surreal atmosphere and cringe moments that really can't be faked.

- Naughty Dog accepting awards during social distancing, leading to women accepting awards through office windows.

-Sting, Eddie Vedder, all of those quirky ass guest spots.

-The Gaming Harassment hotline

- Kratos autobiography

- reformed orthodox rabbi Bill Clinton

I'll always be there day one, Keighley.

He's passionate about himself, exposure, his ego and money.
He should be. YOU should be. It’s only human to be this way. Nearly everyone has an ego and wants money. What separates Egos from assholes are their actions. Keighley could easily have stayed as just “that presenter guy” for outlets like IGN, G4, or Spike TV, but decided to take matters into his own hands and put his own money into his passion. Whether you like him or not, that speaks volumes.

Does that make him selfish or a ‘savior’? Maybe so. However, he’s trying things and putting money into projects that other companies are just deciding not to bother with(for example a showcase at Gamescom) and he’s making award shows to try and help this industry stand out in it’s own manner. Without him putting a spotlight onto these tons of games and developers, we would have dead air for the entire summer and winter, as companies would instead all individually release trailers to YouTube hoping that places like these will make threads about them.

Will he make mistakes and will there be cringe? Yes, always. Does he need sponsors to run his shows? Of course, things cost money. The bottom line is that he is willing to get these things done for a thankless audience who constantly whines about everything including their favorite dream games not being announced(like he has any say so over that). And he does it all with a smile on his face every year.

Last edited:

amigastar

I wonder how much of your own money you've sunk into helping the industry without expecting anything in return?

I used to dislike Keighley back in the day but to deny he's passionate about the video game industry is retarded.
I don't dislike keighley he makes thinks move forward at least.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I learned my lesson from last shows, Keighley is not going to fool me again, im not getting hyped, if i have spare time i will watch it with low expectation, if not i will skip it and see the announcements later. Every year Keighley says its gonna be great its gonna be fantastic and in the end we get a show of turds.
Yeah..no thanks.

GHound

All of that work and Geoff still finds the time to be a homie to Kojima and grill Konami for dropping the 'A Hideo Kojima Game' line from the Master Collection Volume 1.

Gotta toss 'em those lightning quick jabs or they'll just dodge 'cause they're used to these QTEs by now!

Geoff is a real one.

Last edited:

Success

I think Keighley is pretty fuckin legit. Dude has a lot of passion and it shows. The VGA's last year were absolutely amazing and of the highest production values any videogame show has ever had (add just about any award show honestly).

Maybe SGF won't hit tons of high notes, but it's a video game show. You either tune in or don't and you catch the trailers you're interested in after the fact. Regardless, we're getting glimpses and announcements of games that aren't out yet and that alone should make any fan excited. Unless you just hate modern gaming I guess.

Great interview and thank you for the notes.

I respect Geoff's pasion and contributions to the gaming industry immensely.

kaizenkko

Playstation showcase was part of summer game fest or some Sony's games can be shown in the main event of june 8th?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Xbox banner with a game pass header on the SGF ad. Possibly teasing some announcements here ?

FxfMD46XwAQfg5W

DarthPutin

People like to whine way too much.

I'll just watch it after it's fully uploaded, skip all the boring stuff, and if there's nothing interesting to find just shrug and move on. Many posters sound personally offended that someone's doing something not in the way they would - if they could.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Did he actually edited that trailer? pretty nice.

So from that trailer I guess there would be no Nintendo or Switch stuff.

Calverz

I had really hoped to see factions 2 at this show after watching the Sony showcase but those dreams have been dashed. PS5 slim?

Top Bottom