• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George R. R. Martin gives an update on HBO GoT spinoffs

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/04/stuff-and-nonsense-3/

grrm-photo.jpg

Oh, and speaking of television, don’t believe everything you read. Internet reports are notoriously unreliable. We have had five different GAME OF THRONES successor shows in development (I mislike the term “spinoffs”) at HBO, and three of them are still moving forward nicely. The one I am not supposed to call THE LONG NIGHT will be shooting later this year, and two other shows remain in the script stage, but are edging closer. What are they about? I cannot say. But maybe some of you should pick up a copy of FIRE & BLOOD and come up with your own theories.

So, five spinoffs still in the works, three actively in development, and an adaptation of The Long Night (the proper one, where darkness lasted an entire generation and snow drowned castles, presumably) will be shooting later this year. Thoughts?

DKehoe

The Fire and Blood reference makes me think another of the spin offs is about the Dance of the Dragons.

RedVIper

Banned
So are these supposedly being written by him or is he just giving some input?
Because if it's mostly from the same people that took over GOT after running out of book material I can't say I'm too interested

I assume most of the spin offs will be based on stuff he has already written, so they can't ruin it that much really.

I also assume they'll focus on stuff that's not to expensive to film, dragon cgi is expensive.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Because if it's mostly from the same people that took over GOT after running out of book material I can't say I'm too interested

D&D have expressed that they want out of the franchise, so I don't think they'll be involved.

Here's the imdb page on the Long Night adaptation:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6857128/

Director:
S.J. Clarkson
Writers:
Jane Goldman, George R.R. Martin (characters) | 1 more credit »
Stars:
Naomi Watts, Georgie Henley, Jamie Campbell Bower | See full cast & crew »

DKehoe

Jane Goldman is writing The Long Night. She wrote the scripts for Kingsmen, X-Men: First Class, Kickass and Stardust.

Last edited:

bigedole

If it captures the magic of his writing the way the first four seasons of GoT did, it'll probably be great. I'll definitely watch.

Kadayi

Banned
So, five spinoffs still in the works, three actively in development, and an adaptation of The Long Night (the proper one, where darkness lasted an entire generation and snow drowned castles, presumably) will be shooting later this year. Thoughts?

I'm down for more Thrones for sure, however, I think it's probably difficult to capture lightning in a glass twice and I suspect the future of a lot of these things will depend first and foremost on whether after the conclusion of the current series people aren't entirely disillusioned by matters, and whether the Jane Goldman written series come out gate really firing on all cylinders. In that regard, it's probably going to face a bit of a challenge, given it's set in a Westeros that's far removed from the one that we've gotten to know over these last few years in terms of locations. I think Winterfell might exist in some form, but I'm not sure about a lot of the other locations, and I believe the series pre-dates the creation of the wall, and presumably the Nights Watch. That lack of connectivity could be an issue for a lot of people.

Was sorry to hear the that Cogman/ GRRM proposal definitely isn't going ahead as I thought his work on the series, was particularly strong given he's a real book aficionado, however, he has signed a writing deal with Amazon Studios so mayhap he might be getting to produces his own fantasy series for Prime.

Yall think Martin is going to throw shade at the TV series soon? I'm not so sure if he is heavily involved with creating more tv.

Last edited:

Fbh

D&D have expressed that they want out of the franchise, so I don't think they'll be involved.

Here's the imdb page on the Long Night adaptation:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6857128/

Director:
S.J. Clarkson
Writers:
Jane Goldman, George R.R. Martin (characters) | 1 more credit »
Stars:
Naomi Watts, Georgie Henley, Jamie Campbell Bower | See full cast & crew »

I assume most of the spin offs will be based on stuff he has already written, so they can't ruin it that much really.

I also assume they'll focus on stuff that's not to expensive to film, dragon cgi is expensive.

Jane Goldman is writing The Long Night. She wrote the scripts for Kingsmen, X-Men: First Class, Kickass and Stardust.

Thanks. Guess there is some hope then, and if it's based on something George R.R Martin already wrote that's a good start.

Looking at Jane Goldman's IMDB pages though doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I liked Kingsman and Kick-Ass but not really for their writing

Hinedorf

Banned
I would love a Ghost/Tormund/Wildlings show if that's what the long night is. Technically speaking Winter is still coming and it should be a very long winter indeed.

The other logical spinoffs are Dunk and Egg which are great stories in their own right

The one thing I would prefer though is the telling of the Doom of Valyria and what happened that brought the whole area down. Clearly the geological reasons point to a volcano but when your people ride on flying volcanos I have to believe there's more to that story. Kinda gets hinted at with Dunk and Egg too.

Falcs

Banned
Is one of them Robert's Rebellion? Please PLEASE be Robert's rebellion!

Although it D&D are anywhere near these, I'm going to skip them.

JimiNutz

Banned
Is one of them Robert's Rebellion? Please PLEASE be Robert's rebellion!

Although it D&D are anywhere near these, I'm going to skip them.

The problem with Robert's Rebellion is that it's too close to the events of the current show. Everyone knows exactly what happens and how it ends

Jon Neu

Banned
Yeah, the only good things about Robert's rebellion would be seeing Rhaegar, Lyanna, the knight of the laughing tree and young Robert. Apart from that, we know everything already.

based off how downhill GoT has gone from where it started, I'm not too hot about these.

anticipating the new LotR series and hoping for a WoT series, which I imagine will never get done proper as itd be too expensive, but after GoT who knows.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
George posted another update, denying that he's withholding the books until GoT finishes.

Internet journalism is an oxymoron, I am more and more convinced.

Of late it seems there’s a new story about me somewhere on the net every day, or near enough to make no matter. Many get things wrong. For the most part I ignore them. I have better things to do than try and track down every weird rumor or out-and-out fabrication that pops up on some obscure website trolling for traffic.

Every so often, however, one of these stories gains an improbable currency, and just chuckling at the insanity no longer suffices.

That seems to be happening right now. All of a sudden this crazy story about my finishing THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING years ago is popping up everywhere. No, I am not going to provide links. I don’t want to reward purveyors of misinformation with hits.

I will, however, say for the record — no, THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING are not finished. DREAM is not even begun; I am not going to start writing volume seven until I finish volume six

It seems absurd to me that I need to state this. The world is round, the Earth revolves around the sun, water is wet… do I need to say that too? It boggles me that anyone would believe this story, even for an instant. It makes not a whit of sense. Why would I sit for years on completed novels? Why would my publishers — not just here in the US, but all around the world — ever consent to this? They make millions and millions of dollars every time a new Ice & Fire book comes out, as do I. Delaying makes no sense. Why would HBO want the books delayed? The books help create interest in the show, just as the show creates interest in the books.

So… no, the books are not done. HBO did not ask me to delay them. Nor did David & Dan. There is no “deal” to hold back on the books. I assure you, HBO and David & Dan would both have been thrilled and delighted if THE WINDS OF WINTER had been delivered and published four or five years ago… and NO ONE would have been more delighted than me.

I have said it before: don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Geki-D

Banned
and an adaptation of The Long Night (the proper one, where darkness lasted an entire generation and snow drowned castles, presumably) will be shooting later this year. Thoughts?
When this comes out, no matter how good it is, it might be the best thing to grace television, your all time fav show where every second is thrilling and every character makes you love and hate them for their actions and not bad writing. Just remember -and you will, it'll always be at the back of your mind- that the ultimate conclusion to this prequel, the end of the character's ark, his adventure, his moment of triumph a thousand years later is this:
giphy.gif

JimiNutz

Banned
So the new show is going to be called Bloodmoon and is set during the Age of Heroes. Sounds like an interesting period in the history of Westeros at least.

Top Bottom