• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Switch TV ad featuring Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

All of these are nice to have but not explicitly required to have 8 player local multiplayer.

But if you want those things, you need individual switches.

There's nothing wrong number with showing it can do both.

It's like saying why would I need a pro controller for multiplayer if the joycons are included. Because the experience is better. If you want the best experience, you need to get the pro controller.

Brodnax

VqzlXPx.gif
This is amazing.

I would add the Shawn Michaels bj gif too.

Berordn

Not in LAN mode tho.
I don't think Nintendo has even mentioned if you can play split screen while doing local matches with other people.

That's fair actually, I thought we had seen this already but I can't find any confirmation now.

PSqueak

Banned
The reason people are so surprised is because this is the first time a gaming company has acknowledged the fact that many use their handhelds on the shitter.

In the 90's there were TV ads showing an adult using a gameboy in the toilet while an angry kid knocked on the door demanding to get his gameboy back.

Whyyy do neither of the commercials shown so far show the joycons sliding on or off the screen, that is the most mind-blowing element. Or at least in the animation at the end, idk. If I didn't know exactly what the switch was, I would be confused as to what is actually going on.

marmoka

Banned
Cannot watch it now.

I was about to ask if Karen was in the commercial, but after seeing that gif, better not to ask anything.

Plum

In the 90's there were TV ads showing an adult using a gameboy in the toilet while an angry kid knocked on the door demanding to get his gameboy back.

Ah, I've never seen those before, my bad.

Still, it's a pretty bold move for Nintendo of all companies to start bringing back that deliberately low-brow style of advertising for the Switch.

That dude's facial expression tho... I bet that he is doing something other than playing MK when they show his face...

Or he is a pervert, furry or something. There is us for many trains.

So now i know why they wanted to let people use their cell phones for chat. So this means i can expect hearing people taking dumps on the chat?

Man, I wish my university lectures went like that. I have, to date, never seen a handheld at uni, ever.

Effective ad for sure.

Haha we had a guy who would play locoroco on a psp all lecture long up the back seats for awhile during our psychology lectures, he was an odd duck though. Unfortunately never had any impromptu multiplayer sessions.

xandaca

They should do some of these with third party games like Skyrim and FIFA. It'd help dispel the notion that Nintendo consoles are only for Nintendo games while also showing how the Switch concept can offer something different to audiences who would otherwise only consider those games for Microsoft/Sony consoles.

Oregano

They should do some of these with third party games like Skyrim and FIFA. It'd help dispel the notion that Nintendo consoles are only for Nintendo games while also showing how the Switch concept can offer something different to audiences who would otherwise only consider those games for Microsoft/Sony consoles.

That would make sense if those titles were releasing any time soon.

They should do a Bomberman ad

Jeels

Woah. I'm digging this ad. Shows the selling point of the system well, targets the right demographics, and MK just looks pure fun!

I've done all of these things!

Especially the toilet and the "spending most of my studiying time playiing MK DS at uni". This is their first marketing move that makes sense since the reveal teaser...

Pif

Banned
I wanna see more of people dissasembling the joy cons and putting them on the Grip.

That's cooler than undocking it or 8 player local play.

Many things are good with this ad:

1. The demographic they target
2. The use cases and conversations it starts
3. LAN gaming and the value of 8 players vs 4 on a traditional TV

Good job.

Great advert all round, also it instantly draws people in with the opening shot; that alone will grab peoples attention.

Rappy

Whyyy do neither of the commercials shown so far show the joycons sliding on or off the screen, that is the most mind-blowing element. Or at least in the animation at the end, idk. If I didn't know exactly what the switch was, I would be confused as to what is actually going on.
You can't be serious, right? While being able to remove the joycons is a significant feature, it is no where near as significant as the play at home or on the go aspect of the Switch. These commercial make it pretty damn clear that you can play the Switch on your TV like a home console or play it on the go as a portable/handheld.
But Switch is supposed to be a console - what are all these people playing it in handheld mode, don't they know it only has 3 hours of battery life? This is not a 3DS replacement!

/s
But they said "home console first and foremost" to a single gaming news outlet! /s That PR statement has to be my least favorite statements from Nintendo even with all the BS Reggie spouts. Why are people so dead set on PR statements dodging the questions/issues about the 3DS the "marketing"? The trailers and commercials are the marketing, and they've been marketing it as a hybrid whether you like that idea or not.

Plum

But they said "home console first and foremost" to a single gaming news outlet. That PR statement has to be my least favorite statements from Nintendo even with all the BS Reggie spouts. Why are people so dead set on PR statements dodging the questions/issues about the 3DS the "marketing"? The trailers and commercials are the marketing, and they've been marketing it as a hybrid whether you like that idea or not.

Look at the spoiler mate, that was sarcasm :)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
dunno, I think that add is genius. Explains the whole social play together thing nintendo is going for AND is funny with the dude on the toilet...because who hasn't played tetris or mario on his gameboy (or now smartphone)

Who are those people playing handheld on campuses? Never seen them they must be ghosts or something

the only place I ever got spotpass transfers in germany was my university..we even had game nights twice every semester, where people brought N64s and stuff and always pokemon battles...

Fandangox

y'all talking about the guy in the crapper while missing the real bomb

In the year of our Lord and Savior 2017, Mute City was featured in a TV Ad commercial by Nintendo.

;__;

I don't play video games on the toilet, but after seeing how much fun this guy is having with no interruptions, I'm going to do it, too! Thanks, Nintendo!

Having game sessions in class would've been fun in college, too.

You can't be serious, right? While being able to remove the joycons is a significant feature, it is no where near as significant as the play at home or on the go aspect of the Switch. These commercial make it pretty damn clear that you can play the Switch on your TV like a home console or play it on the go as a portable/handheld.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think it shows off the versatility pretty well, however I also think it misses that one scene to make it more understandable for someone who's first introduction to the console is that ad.

Like one moment they're playing on their switches in 'handheld mode', the next you see the screen on the table without the joy-cons. It doesn't make it clear that it's still the same console just without the joy-cons attached, so I think a shot of the joy-cons sliding on or off would've made that more clear. It also just looks so cool AND they could've used the 'snap' soundbite again as reference to the logo animation.

Top Bottom