• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get someone into a manga with just one page (READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_hekk05

Banned
eyDPB9v.jpg

Piano no Mori, aka The perfect world of KAI, by Isshiki Makoto

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Koe no Katachi by Ooima Yoshitoki, about deafness, bullying, and redemption. Available through Crunchyroll manga, as is Spirit Circle.

This post reminded me I had meant to pick up the manga so went and did that today while was out for a little while.

MvCQ1Bm.png

scy

I was real disappointed with the latest manga as have a feeling the writer is totally losing direction with where they want the story to go as they added too many characters and no idea whats going on now... But thats just how it looks to me. Kinda disappointed considering have bought all of the books up to now. :/

I feel like I need clarification as to what you mean by "latest." Since, by the sound of things, this is referring to half a dozen chapters ago with the sudden side character focus :x

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I feel like I need clarification as to what you mean by "latest." Since, by the sound of things, this is referring to half a dozen chapters ago with the sudden side character focus :x

I dont buy the weekly jump as those take up way too much space and generally are a waste of money since you wind up throwing it away which is a good 4 bucks each time. When I talk about latest I mean as in the actual print standalone mangas that are released.

scy

Okay, that's what I figured. Yeah, the character focus kind of just lazes around a bit there with the sudden next-door neighbor girl and a few other chapters. It gets back on pace, though.

The webcomic source had the characters too so it probably worked better with sudden characters showing up in the plot, I think? I dunno.

Amir0x

Banned
My least favorite thing about manga. The fuck is going on? I can't tell by the art. Is some human having a fit and yelling at a bird? Can the bird talk?

Well a family, who look like crudely drawn birds but actually look just like you and me and everybody else to the rest of the characters in the books (and the rest of the characters look highly detailed and are not crudely drawn birds), are sitting down to watch a baseball game (before this page), and the father wants another beer. Mother says there is no more beer, he argues with her saying he knows there's some more beer. She says 'no i mean there is no more beer for you tonight', he goes to fight her, he rams his head into her crudely drawn bird face, she scolds him for lack of employment, he calls her a slut. Their son, meanwhile, watches from the side of the room in front of the doors. We're told he is pretty used to these sorts of fights.

Mesoian

My least favorite thing about manga. The fuck is going on? I can't tell by the art. Is some human having a fit and yelling at a bird? Can the bird talk?

That's the point, and that confusion ends up being a really really big part of story and the MC.

Oyasumi Pun Pun is 100% incredible.

Soma

Here's one that actually got me interested in reading further recently

Becchin and Mandara by Matsumoto Jiro

Should probably preface that it's pretty nsfw. And a bit of a trip.

But worth reading either way!

IupF6oQ.jpg

Breakers: New Wave (Gotta read 'Breakers' before New Wave to understand the story). It's Korean so it's a manhwa but regardless it fits within this thread.

INCREDIBLY SO.

But still well worth a read.

Maybe when I am in a better place. Don't want to deal with that negativity especially when I have doubts about my potential career path! I will say that that page (not the one amirox linked) got me interested.

Dresden

Solanin is probably the better place to start with, if you're getting into Asano's work. It's kind and generous and really the simplest - and the best - of his (or her now?) comics.

Necrovex

In this case, you'll have to read at least the first chapter to see.
It's a good time, trust me.

That's akin to saying Corpse Party is a feel-good story!

Do you know if there's a sequel to Rising confirmed?

We'll get a sequel in like four years, going by the usual stretch of time that passes in between seasons.

INCREDIBLY SO.

But still well worth a read.

I am eight volumes in, and I am an utter mess when it comes to PunPun. Too many things are reminding me of my past!

Solanin is probably the better place to start with, if you're getting into Asano's work. It's kind and generous and really the simplest - and the best - of his (or her now?) comics.

What is Solanin exactly about?

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
We'll get a sequel in like four years, going by the usual stretch of time that passes in between seasons.
Hmm:
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! Started in October 3rd 2000 and ended in March 21 2003 (but that had like 3 openings)

Hajime no Ippo: A New Challenger began in...January 6th 2009 (woah that time gap) and ended in June 30th 2009, so it lasted one season.

Hajime no Ippo: Rising started 4 years later...October 5 2013 and ended this March 29th.
Holy cow I was expecting the new season this year... T.T should I just read the manga?

Poyunch

Oyasumi Punpun is amazing. Probably my favorite manga. After finishing it and catching up on Umibe no Onnanoko I've had nothing to read from Asano.

I was planning on starting Solanin but I'm afraid that nothing will top Punpun for me.

scy

Holy cow I was expecting the new season this year... T.T should I just read the manga?

Looking at where Rising ended, that was around the mid-500s Chapter wise.

We're in the 900s currently.

To be fair, it did cover like 100-ish chapters in that season so catching up would only take around 4 more seasons!

Necrovex

I know this thread is 7 pages long and me saying this really doesn't matter but...

I've been laughing at this in my head for like the last two days. Too good.

No, I agree with you. This is an amazing page. I keep looking at it and laughing my ass off.

scy

At this point, it's mostly just going to be a case of waiting for it to finish.

If it then doesn't get an anime, I'll be sad.

Brakke

Banned
I was all like I doubt any panels will actually surprise/impress me. How wrong I was.

What the fuck is this thing?

Wikipedia's Characters Section said:
ASIMO (アシモ Ashimo?)
Humanoid robot created by Honda in 2000. It appears as Koizumi's partner in his match with Hitler and Tristan on the Fourth Reich's moon base. It has the ability to change the appearance of tiles using a holographic projector, among other "ASIMO weapons."[2]

Bananas!

My own recommendation would be Ubel Blatt

Ompz3td.jpg

(can't find a good image at the moment but the cover on the wiki looks interesting imo)

by Etorouji Shiono.

-------

I know people are pessimistic about the anime prospect but I think (I'd wager everyone else thinks so too) there's some real potential here.

At this point, it's mostly just going to be a case of waiting for it to finish.

If it then doesn't get an anime, I'll be sad.

I just read that it's supposedly going to end in
more volumes. So that means it should finish sometime
next year
I think.

There will be no anime of Koe no Katachi. Expect live action.

ihvjchyqsehwbziowf.gif

delume

As someone who has only read two Manga series (Akira and Outlanders), this thread has been a real eye-opener to the crazy things happening in manga. It has made me want to explore some of these titles. Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm surprised at all the mentions medaka box is getting.

Guess it's a fun manga to find weird out of context pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom