• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting Older And Switch Is My Vibe

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I know that feel. At 30+ I got my Switch, and I don’t remember enjoying a console more since I was a kid.

Got mine at the age of 40. Always been a computer guy before then (Amstrad CPC 464 -> Atari ST -> PC). Absolutely cracking little machine, and as others have said, only Nintendo does what Nintendo does, and they do it brilliantly. This little gadget never fails to put a smile on my face.

I enjoy my Switch, but a lot of what I have are ports. I really like my Wii U VC because it has a ton of good content to it. Super Metroid, Golden Sun, and Fire Emblem. I enjoy playing Resident Evil Remake, DMC3SE and DOOM 3 on my Switch. Those of course, are mature games.
Perhaps I'm going offtopic somewhat but I think you and Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura should get Doom I and II on the Switch, especially if they go on sale. (I'm assuming you both don't own the games yet, excuse me if I'm wrong.)

There's been an update a few weeks ago where the devs added gyro controls (so it now plays like the DOOM 64 port) and overall performance is further improved (60fps almost all the time, haven't tested with really heavy situations), Nightmare mode now actually has fast monsters and projectiles, Ultraviolence+ is added. The HD rumble remains great as it was as well.

The biggest downside I can think of is the occasional garbage collector hitch that's so endemic to the Unity engine; basically it'll skip frames whenever it happens but outside of that, getting to enjoy the timeless gameplay of these classics in docked or handheld is literally a dream come true.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Switch is the first Nintendo device i was tempted to own since the Gamecube. But I refuse to pay Nintendo's ridiculous prices for underpowered junk. Also the fact that the games almost never go on sale, first party anyway, is a big turn-off for me. I almost never spend 50 bucks on a game, more like 10 to 20 95% of the time.

Does then power really matter? If the games look good enough it's powerful enough. Re game pricing, 2nd hand holds its value so you have zero risk effectively. Hell I've even made a profit buying physical in a sale, finding the game wasn't for me, and then selling 2nd hand.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Link's awakening is but a shadow of the original imo.
Shitty framerates and framespikes.

Sorcerer

QUOTE: Darkmakaimura

"Now I want more than ever games like Zelda and Pokemon and stuff like the Trials of Mana remake. I even want to give Animal House a spin"

Is Animal House on the Switch? JK

animalhouse3.jpg
xgps1.jpg
homepage_EB19780101REVIEWS801010308AR.jpg

Deathmobile+Art+Car+For+Sale+Front.jpg

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Same here. I love the switch! Only issue I have is I’m 99% sure none of the games I buy for it will transfer to the next Nintendo console.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’ve been out of touch with “mature” games since the 6th gen. So many “mature” games are about dazzling the “mature” gamer with the best graphical fidelity available at the moment. Some of them have good gameplay. Some... really don’t. But the monotony of having human characters do what humans do in a simulation of the real world brings down even the best gameplay. Unfortunately, western AAA gaming still hasn’t shaken off the influence of that fated PS2 fall 2001 lineup.

I don’t need realism, and I don’t need “maturity”. Nintendo’s “kiddy” stuff is perfectly fine to me. More varied, more original, more entertaining than most mainstream stuff, and it usually plays far better. Funny how people say Nintendo always make the same game when the same can be said for so many western IPs. Having a different plot with the best VA in the biz doesn’t make one Uncharted game fundamentally different from the next, and let’s not get into Ubi’s top IPs...

Riven326

Banned
Switch is the first Nintendo device i was tempted to own since the Gamecube. But I refuse to pay Nintendo's ridiculous prices for underpowered junk. Also the fact that the games almost never go on sale, first party anyway, is a big turn-off for me. I almost never spend 50 bucks on a game, more like 10 to 20 95% of the time.
That's how I feel a well. The hardware is junk and the game prices are always ridiculous.

Boss Mog

Does then power really matter? If the games look good enough it's powerful enough. Re game pricing, 2nd hand holds its value so you have zero risk effectively. Hell I've even made a profit buying physical in a sale, finding the game wasn't for me, and then selling 2nd hand.
Power matters in relation to price. It's too expensive for what it is especially when you consider Nintendo uses cheap plastics and a cheap shitty screen. Holding the switch or switch lite just feels like it's cheap. The Vita by contrast just felt like a cutting edge premium device when it came out.

It´s the other way around for me.
I used to love Nintendo games when I was younger, and nowadays I am literally bored the moment I start them up.
I now gravitate to either ultra-casual games I can play with my wife and a Havanna Coke in my hand like Fall Guys, or games on the other end of the spectrum like Bloodborne/Dark Souls.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Forty eight. Love the Switch but in recent years I tend to get more enjoyment from the handheld consoles anyway, whether it's ploughing through the Ace Attorney games on my 3DS or Jeff Minter's beautiful classic shooter insanity in TxK on the PS Vita, there's just something that's "pure videogame" about these machines. It could be a feeling heightened by my childhood years playing all those Nintendo Game & Watch machines alongside all those Tomy, Grandstand and Bandai games too.

I'm a dev so I get to "peak behind the curtain" so to speak, fancy graphics and cutting edge technology don't do it for me anymore, been there, done that.

Game mechanics and great art direction are more important to me and the majority of Nintendo games tick those boxes...not saying the BIG games from Sony and Microsoft don't but I think they are sometimes guilty of being more about the gloss rather than the substance.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

Never played these games, never felt interesting to begin with. But I have to admit, Zelda BotW was a huge waste of time as well. There are many more interesting games out there, especially for someone who has been playing video games for 30+ years.

Talos Principle
Catherine
Outer Wilds
Brigandine
Valkyria Chronicles 4

to name a few...
Exactly. The issue here is that people keep playing the same type of games all the time, especially because it's what the AAA industry keeps pumping out.
Although the indie scene is also stuck in a loop (metroidvanias, roguelikes, survival, horror walking simulators, etc), there still some gems out there that people keep avoiding it because it's out of their comfort zone.

Seriously people, if you reach a point that you need to make a thread about being tired of videogames (not this case, obviously), just look at some games that you wouldn't give it a try because "it's not my style" but made you somewhat curious, just try it. Just branch out of the genres that you constantly play.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I heard and a game breaking bug with Marin can happen.

I still want it.

That and the physical edition of Final Fantasy IX.

FWIW I love Links Awakening. Some people go on about it as if it's literally kicking you in the nuts while shouting "Heil Hitler" but basically when you step out from an indoor area to an outdoor area the framerate drops a little for a couple of seconds, not by much, but enough to notice. It really isn't that big a deal though I don't understand why they didn't solve it by simply waiting a little longer to bring the screen up when you make the transition.

JimiNutz

Banned

These memes make me laugh but the idea that one games console is more mature or manly than another is ridiculous to me.

Let's be real here, we are all playing computer games. Gaming is in no way masculine. Anyone that thinks playing a PlayStation or Xbox is acceptable but playing a Nintendo console is not is completely delusional.

Ron Swanson would laugh in your face if he walked in a room and saw you playing a PlayStation.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Power matters in relation to price. It's too expensive for what it is especially when you consider Nintendo uses cheap plastics and a cheap shitty screen. Holding the switch or switch lite just feels like it's cheap. The Vita by contrast just felt like a cutting edge premium device when it came out.

Your call but honestly I've had no issues with mine - it's the games that matter, the form factor is a nice bonus (the whole hybrid thing), each to their own I guess.

Aladin

I thought making babies and playing them is old man's game. Torturing kids and deciding their future (career mode) is what asian parents do.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Perhaps I'm going offtopic somewhat but I think you and Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura should get Doom I and II on the Switch, especially if they go on sale. (I'm assuming you both don't own the games yet, excuse me if I'm wrong.)

There's been an update a few weeks ago where the devs added gyro controls (so it now plays like the DOOM 64 port) and overall performance is further improved (60fps almost all the time, haven't tested with really heavy situations), Nightmare mode now actually has fast monsters and projectiles, Ultraviolence+ is added. The HD rumble remains great as it was as well.

The biggest downside I can think of is the occasional garbage collector hitch that's so endemic to the Unity engine; basically it'll skip frames whenever it happens but outside of that, getting to enjoy the timeless gameplay of these classics in docked or handheld is literally a dream come true.
:messenger_smiling_with_eyes: I really enjoy playing the Sigil WAD in DOOM. I typically play in handheld mode though. I also have DOOM 64 on there too. A Heretic port on the Switch would be ideal.

Last edited:
I don't get this. Mature games being a general label for anything not on a switch or with a cartoon aesthetic? Games that are rated M? Sure whatever that means bro. I play the games I want to play, as a platform there is nothing special about the switch. If anything it's actively terrible with it's faulty controllers and low powered hardware to support a handheld mode I never use.

This thread is just weird. Like "I enjoy waking up for Saturday morning cartoons and eating cereal in my undies on my parents living room floor, 20+ year old man btw! Anyone else feel like that these days!?" Weird.

Quit trying to label 1000s upon 1000s of games on other platforms with word soup to justify your obsession with a piece of plastic.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I don't get this. Mature games being a general label for anything not on a switch or with a cartoon aesthetic? Games that are rated M? Sure whatever that means bro. I play the games I want to play, as a platform there is nothing special about the switch. If anything it's actively terrible with it's faulty controllers and low powered hardware to support a handheld mode I never use.

This thread is just weird. Like "I enjoy waking up for Saturday morning cartoons and eating cereal in my undies on the floor of my parents living room floor, 20+ year old man btw! Anyone else feel like that these days!?" Weird.

Quit trying to label 1000s upon 1000s of games on other platforms with word soup to justify your obsession with a piece of plastic.

I love cereal and cartoons. What’s your point ?

Closer

I've been burned of those "mature" games since PS2 days. There's nothing wrong with them per se, the problem lies on their public and their obnoxious attitude towards games that aren't gritty and gray (or brown). There's something out there for everyone, and what I like the most are those games that come from the left field and be all weird and quirky. Sure, sometimes I enjoy some games that could be considered mature, but they're the exception, not the rule. It's good stuff we have something for every single weird ass type of gamer in this industry, and that's why I love it.

Humdinger

I'm an older guy, and I decided to get a Switch a couple months ago. I never owned a Nintendo console before, but over the past few years, I had grown bored with gaming on PS4 and Xbox. I felt very much as if I'd "been there, done that" with most games.

After a while, I realized that I wasn't tired of gaming per se, but of the types of games that were being produced, and that the solution lie in shifting from the standard mainstream games, with their emphasis on serious/mature themes, violence, and darkness to a more fun and lighthearted style of game. I wanted a game that would provide a pleasant diversion, not be something heavy, serious, violent, and dark. I discovered this while playing SpongeBob Squarepants, of all things, and then replaying Ratchet and Clank.

Then it occurred to me that Nintendo was the one company who specialized in producing these types of games. So I bought one, and I'm really enjoying it. I've got 8 or 9 titles that I'm interested in playing, so it'll probably keep me busy for the next year.

I'll still mix and match. I'll continue to play serious or "mature" games, if I find ones that interest me. But it's great to have Switch as an option. It fills a need for me that no other console does.

zcaa0g

Banned
So the OP likes grating and non-sensical "boop boop" noises for a voice because Nintendo is to cheap to hire voice actors for their blurry textures and low poly games as opposed to hearing Laura Bailey's voice over and over again. That makes sense. Awwwwwwrighty then!

MilkyJoe

These memes make me laugh but the idea that one games console is more mature or manly than another is ridiculous to me.

Let's be real here, we are all playing computer games. Gaming is in no way masculine. Anyone that thinks playing a PlayStation or Xbox is acceptable but playing a Nintendo console is not is completely delusional.

Ron Swanson would laugh in your face if he walked in a room and saw you playing a PlayStation.

That's why I have an xbox, son

Iced Arcade

My petty ass can't get past the system not having any kind of achievement system even though I know they are pointless.

Still an awesome little device and I'll always love Nintendo

buizel

Banned
you were always a weeb (judging you by your penguin anime avatar)

why was there doubt youd ever like the switch then. its full of bright colours and anime games

i bought one a few months ago and have barely played it. i already played smash, mario 3d, zelda, pikmin etc to death on wii u. switch does have a much bigger library, but i cant even get into mario odyssey much. played 3d world like 3 or 4 times over. its probably the multiplayer, 2p is kinda lame in oddysey

Orta

Banned
Anyone else burned out on all the Call if Duties and Red Dead Redemptions and just feeling like good ol'e Mario and Zelda now?

Absolutely. But I wonder if its a symptom of being, ahem, a 'mature' gamer.

I don't have the patience, dexterity or attention span to play the ridiculously complex big budget games that are commonplace today, some of which I acknowledge are on the Switch but more often than not aren't. Mario or Zelda are my limit as far as complexity goes.

I tried playing a fancy Dan modern game, Ghostrunner, last night and it was a nightmare. I had to run along a wall, jump against another and take out one guy on the ground. Fuck me, I had to hold w on the keyboard to move forward, space to jump, left shift mid jump to accelerate, a or d to strafe mid jump, position the camera with the mouse, land exactly in front if the enemy, dodge his bullets and then attack him. All that in one attempt in a timeframe of about four seconds. I was all over the place, I tried it with a controller and it was even worse. I rage quit the bastard and deleted the demo. Fuck that shit for a laugh, I went downstairs to the living room, turned on my Switch, turned off my brain and played Arms for a hour. Effortless bliss.

God bless Nintendo :messenger_beaming:

:messenger_smiling_with_eyes: I really enjoy playing the Sigil WAD in DOOM. I typically play in handheld mode though. I also have DOOM 64 on there too. A Heretic port on the Switch would be ideal.
I'd want Hexen with that too!

And like in your original comment, I don't subscribe to the "age for a type of game" idea. If the gameplay stands the test of time then I'd love to play it, regardless of if it looks like it's for kids or adults.

CeeJay

Anyone else burned out on all the Call if Duties and Red Dead Redemptions and just feeling like good ol'e Mario and Zelda now?

I find most AAA games are derivative shite infested with mind-numbing hand-holding tutorial style presentation that last the entirety of the campaign, generic game mechanics, micro-transactions along with loads of other boring crap. It's probably not so much that you are burned out on them and more to do with the fact that the majority of AAAs offer very little in the way of fresh ideas. If you are a mature gamer you have seen it all before and most of these games have nothing new to offer and keep you engaged.

Avoid all AAA entirely until a title is at least a year old no matter how much launch hype there is around the game. If a game is genuinely good then it will still have a lot of buzz around it long after its been released. This one piece of advice has saved me a fortune and a shit load of time.

I don't think you are too old to appreciate good games, it's just that you have just been looking in the wrong place for those new and engaging experiences.

Top Bottom