• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghibli production department facing shutdown, will take a break and consider future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

This may not be the best place to ask this but, can anyone recommend me some movies in a similar style to Ghibli's funner output? (Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Ponyo), is there anything similar out there at all from a different studio?, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xLji7WsW0w&sns=em

Wolf Children by Studio Chizu

http://youtu.be/k4KLGfBb_3M

A Letter To Momo by Production IG, currently out in US cinemas

Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind any good? It is one of the few Ghibli films I haven't seen.

I want to throw money at them damn it.

Do eet

We still got Shinkai tho

iOUTuq1ljlrIC.gif

watershed

Banned
I hope they find a way to keep making some kind of anime and not just do IP management stuff. At very least, I hope the Ghibli Museum stays open.

Isn't Miyazaki working on a samurai manga?

krossj

Very sad news.

I would really like to see some pen and paper work of Miyazaki's again though especially since I really enjoyed the Nausicaa manga. Wasn't there a quote that he was planning something like this?

Go_Ly_Dow

There's almost a zen-like understanding about things to be so content with the demise of something.

it's nice tho

kinda like - yeah, i've done some amazing shit, it's gonna come to an end, but I understand that it's pointless to desperately cling on so might as well accept the reality.

can see why he thinks that way looking at it from a creators perspective and not a business one

Wiktor

So sad. So few studios making good full lenght 2D movies hese ays

This may not be the best place to ask this but, can anyone recommend me some movies in a similar style to Ghibli's funner output? (Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Ponyo), is there anything similar out there at all from a different studio?, thanks.

Check Hotarubi no Mori e.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Very sad news.

I would really like to see some pen and paper work of Miyazaki's again though especially since I really enjoyed the Nausicaa manga. Wasn't there a quote that he was planning something like this?

He's working on a samurai manga right now.

Just watched Wolf Children and it felt like a good Ghibli movie. So we still get great animes with a lot of heart but on the other hand I'm still so sad that I could cry that we will lose Ghibli.

They made some of my favourite movies...nothing can get better than Mononoke or Grave of the Fireflies.

Worst news ever...

Violet_0

Banned
gotta say that Mononoke and Spirited Away were masterpieces, some of the best animated movies out there. Wasn't much of a fan of their other movies, but I'm still excited for Marnie

Wolf Children is pretty good but considerably worse then his earlier works (in particular The Girl who leaped through time) and really is not on the same level as Ghibli. I would say Summer Wars and Girl who leaped through time may compete with Ghibli Movies although they are also very different in style.
Shinkai is the Crytek of anime. His films are stunning visually, but leave a lot to be desired in just about every other aspect.

5cm per second stinged though.

Brought some of my favorite animated films of all time, sad to see them go. Last few years it's become increasingly apparent that Miyazaki was the studio and when he left that would be that.

Ditto, figured it would happen when he left. Wonder where the team(s) will end up and and if their talent will be properly utilized.

I and millions of other people would donate £50 per film to Ghibli, lets make a kickstarter!

im sure that they could start a kickstarter and would find more then enough people in japan to pay for a new ghibli movie.
however thats not the problem i think. they dont want to sustain a production staff that they are not sure that they can sustain in the future without the miyazaki hayao name.
Kiki is always the one I absolutely think people should watch

Imho Mononoke (and Nausicaa) is the essential Ghibli Film.

jett

D-Member
That's really terrible news. Nobody makes movies like them, I don't even get why would they do this.

duckroll

Wolf Children is pretty good but considerably worse then his earlier works (in particular The Girl who leaped through time) and really is not on the same level as Ghibli. I would say Summer Wars and Girl who leaped through time may compete with Ghibli Movies although they are also very different in style.

Don't agree with this at all. Wolf Children to me is his best film to date because as a complete work it shows his full maturity as a filmmaker who is able to concisely break down his ideas and themes into a well paced narrative driven by a consistent and focused tone. It has a very strong structure, and some of the best characters he has created in terms of being real people.

Summer Wars is probably his weakest film because it tries to do so much that it doesn't really have a strong grasp on what it's even about by the end of it. It's very similar to Kon's Paprika in that sense. A visual tour de force at times, but thematically weak overall. It's an exciting blockbuster with a good family spirit, but it pales in comparison with his previous film.

The reason why I think Wolf Children rises above even The Girl Who Leaped Through Time is because TGWLTT is a very emotional and passionate work which also loses a bit of focus towards the end. It's a very good film, but it has that indie film feeling where you can feel the personal passion of wanting to make something important, but it also has a lot of edginess and raw emotion to it that does give it unique character but feels it lacks a bit if experience to fully express itself. His One Piece film is also very similar - filled with very colorful unfiltered expressions of anger, done in a rather positive way, and I think a lot of those feelings actually resonated more with me there than in TGWLLT.

With Wolf Children though, there's less of that feeling, and more of a sense that a more experienced person is now carefully thinking about what he wants to say and how he wants to say it, and is able to express it well as a more mature storyteller. I lover that he tone has evolved to this level, and definitely hope it stays this way in his future movies because it shows substantial growth in his art form.

TnK

Can someone please explain this to me, does this mean they will stop making movies forever? If true, what the flying what?

These guys make my favorite animated movies of all time...

AdanVC

*Crying huge tears* Terrible and sad news indeed. Why we can't live in a world where 2D and 3D animation films can live on armony and both sell equally so we can have lot's of variety and healthy competition. Why everything has to be now a 3D animated film with musical numbers as filler content and bad modern jokes? :( Those type of films IMO don't inspire at all, yet, they sell millions and millions... and millions. Studio Ghibli, thank you for bringing beautiful and truly inspiring films to the world of animation and movies in general.

Sad news. I just watched Kingom of Dreams and Madness the other day. Terrific documentary, can't recommend it enough.

Totally agree! Such a unique documentary. It gives you a strange feeling while watching it. Like if everyone at the studio already knew how everything will end once the films they've been working on get released.

Go_Ly_Dow

5cm per second stinged though.

Got to disagree with this myself.

Wolf Children is a much more memorable film to me than his previous works and most Ghibli films I've seen. Mainly down to one of the finest musical scores which helped make some really memorable scenes.

TnK

So, studio ghibli will disappear but moe blobs will continue to exist in anime?

RIP good anime.

Moe as an art is nice to look at, but you can never make an entire series of just moe. Seriously, those shows are usually most of the time downright bad and never have any of the magic or charm studio ghibli's work does.

Meh, having a bit of a bad time swallowing this down. It is what it is though, and what happens happens I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom