• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell Arise announced - Details updated in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG YES

YES

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghost in the Shell IP is pretty much only anime I still give a shit about outside Studio Ghibli

Still pissed that GitS: Innocence has no actual in-print North American DVD or Blu-ray. Nasty gap in my collection T__T

OMG YES

YES

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghost in the Shell IP is pretty much only anime I still give a shit about outside Studio Ghibli

Still pissed that GitS: Innocence has no actual in-print North American DVD or Blu-ray. Nasty gap in my collection T__T

I'm wondering if S.A.C blu rays will ever be released in North America. I know the Japanese blu rays are dual audio, but those prices ~__~

injurai

Banned
that and the jeans

but Motoko is iconic enough. The fact that her new character design even reminds me of Kaneda is the problem
Looks like she went to a halloween party dressed as [not quite] Kaneda

(I'm not saying her new design is as good as Kaneda's... I'm saying it looks like a cheap generic knock off)

I'm still onboard to watch

Some GITS is better than NO GITS

I'll give you the jeans, the hips don't look correctly proportioned to belong to her. But I think the art style is different enough from Akira other than the color pallet.

V5oDB.jpg

I'm not a fan of this Motoko design. She looks more like a petulant child than a hardass.

Sounds in-line with the first half of the manga, then.

I mean I'm merely guessing here but given that it's called "Arise" and she looks a tad younger than in the movie or SAC, I'd imagine we're looking at a show that's going to mine a different time period.

Sallokin

Sounds in-line with the first half of the manga, then.

I mean I'm merely guessing here but given that it's called "Arise" and she looks a tad younger than in the movie or SAC, I'd imagine we're looking at a show that's going to mine a different time period.

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see if this is an origin story of sorts. It's has to be going for an entirely different feel because the Major was always sort of a hard ass even before she joined section 9. I wish they had posted and actual screen or a clip so we could see the design in motion.

Dat mechanical animation. Too bad it's all going to be CGI in the new show :(

SAC already had that curse, unfortunately. Still, the fact that the dude's responsible for Misato's End of Evangelion hallway walk and some of the best action shots of Innocence fills me with some confidence.

Credo

I generally dislike change and this new Motoko design doesn't do much for me, but I'm willing to give them a chance just because it's Ghost in the Shell and I enjoyed SAC and SAC 2nd Gig so much.

duckroll

The swimsuit was indeed stupid looking, but the leather jacket and the rest of the design were cool.

I definitely like Stand Alone Complex's Motoko, but too often it felt like her design was exploited for cheap "sexy!" moments rather than it saying anything about her character, which is what Oshii's Ghost in the Shell excelled at. The nudity in that film made total sense, but SAC occasionally felt like it was going for cheap thrills with it's T&A shots.

Not that I have anything against cheap thrills, mind, but they feel way out of place in Ghost in the Shell. I wish I could launch the cat burglar episode into the sun and get more interesting, well written episodes about her character's sexuality instead.

like the one with the kid what the hell was going on there

UrbanRats

She wasn't exactly that muscular in Stand Alone Complex either. Technically the new design has less body fat.

True that, i think my favorite design was in the Oshii movies, tbh.

Especially the face:

YES:
iGSGeK2IhibBp.jpg

NO:
ihic2YONCBKXz.jpg

ibgT1Sj7brOJ5Q.jpg

I definitely like Stand Alone Complex's Motoko, but too often it felt like her design was exploited for cheap "sexy!" moments rather than it saying anything about her character, which is what Oshii's Ghost in the Shell excelled at. The nudity in that film made total sense, but SAC occasionally felt like it was going for cheap thrills with it's T&A shots.

Not that I have anything against cheap thrills, mind, but they feel way out of place in Ghost in the Shell. I wish I could launch the cat burglar episode into the sun and get more interesting, well written episodes about her character's sexuality instead.

I don't disagree.
The manga was also full of sweaty sex, like Shirow loves to draw, but they still felt more in place with the narrative, than what we had in SAC.
If they were to explore sexuality from a cyborg pov, even in a very sexy and graphic way, i wouldn't have problems with that, ass shots though feel just stupid and out of place in a random action scene.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Especially the face:

YES:
iGSGeK2IhibBp.jpg

NO:
ihic2YONCBKXz.jpg

ibgT1Sj7brOJ5Q.jpg

To each her own. Oshii's style was closer to the manga, but also fit better considering its budget and the overall level of detail. The TV show had to cut some corners after all.

HiiiLife

I've been trying to get into anime. The only ones that really caught my attention were FMA, DBZ & Rurouni. I'm assuming people place this high on their list of favorite anime?

Especially the face:

YES:
iGSGeK2IhibBp.jpg

NO:
ihic2YONCBKXz.jpg

ibgT1Sj7brOJ5Q.jpg

I don't disagree.
The manga was also full of sweaty sex, like Shirow loves to draw, but they still felt more in place with the narrative, than what we had in SAC.
If they were to explore sexuality from a cyborg pov, even in a very sexy and graphic way, i wouldn't have problems with that, ass shots though feel just stupid and out of place in a random action scene.

Oshii/Okiura's is definitely my personal favorite, although I also love manga Motoko just because it fits perfectly with the more anarchic tone of the manga.

That's the issue I have with SAC, it's an excellent show but it swings wildly between the grim tone of the Oshii movie and the cartoony tone of the manga and does both a disservice because of it.

So yeah, I just actually started my 2nd GiG set despite having bought it years ago ...yeah, I know :(

Anyway, just caught the episode you're talking about and yeah, that shit was duuuumb

UrbanRats

To each her own. Oshii's style was closer to the manga, but also fit better considering its budget and the overall level of detail. The TV show had to cut some corners after all.

Of course i didn't expect that level of animations or even the near perfect anatomies, but i think they purposefully stepped away from her more detached and robotic look.
I still enjoyed SAC a ton, mind you.

So yeah, I just actually started my 2nd GiG set despite having bought it years ago ...yeah, I know :(

Anyway, just caught the episode you're talking about and yeah, that shit was duuuumb

Second Gig is otherwise pretty good, but that episode is terrible.

I have the uncensored euro run but it's been a while. I remember the art being quite something.

The best part of it is Batou's face in the corner.

Blader

He's not a bad director, but I kinda question his ability to write. Especially after watching Re:Cyborg. His ideas are very pseudo-Oshii, but lack something which makes it unique, instead it just feels like a fanboy copy of better ideas.

How was that btw? The 3D look is a huge turnoff for me, but Kamiyama is one of the few names I follow in anime, so any new work from him automatically ends up on my radar. Has a blu release date been announced yet?

If his show sucks then how does he not suck?

I actually thought the show itself was fine, it was the movies that were fucking awful, which (for me) has always been Kamiyama's biggest weakness: he's absolutely terrible at endings.

duckroll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom