• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell |OT| I was born in the sea of information

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
I thought the 3D was pretty great, there were a handful of scenes where stuff was flying right out of the screen at you, and really enhanced a lot of shots that were right from the '95 film. It was also crystal clear, I can't remember the last time 3D was so in-focus, usually I'm adjusting my glasses the whole film.

Yeah, a few shots during the Deep Dive had some cool 3D effects. Also during the Spider Tank fight.

But overall? I don't think 3D added anything to the movie.

GitS is a great looking movie.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, a few shots during the Deep Dive had some cool 3D effects. Also during the Spider Tank fight.

But overall? I don't think 3D added anything to the movie.

GitS is a great looking movie.

It added a lot of depth to a number of shots, especially early on through the cityscapes and a few of the conversations.

The people claiming whitewashing in GitS would be hypocrites if they didn't also protest when hispanics do the same thing. Realistically though I doubt it'll happen cus people are hypocrites and it's not trendy to.

Hispaanic is not a race, it's an ethnicity. All Latinos are Hispanic but not all Hispanics are Latinos. Half of all Latinos and Hispanics in America consider themselves White.

Can we talk about how shitty Section 9 was as a paramilitary police group? In all other adaptations we see them doing detective work, arresting people, Aramaki is making political moves/sorting through redtape so the team can properly operate. In the movie they
1. Fail to stop an assassination and ghost hack
2. Shoot up a nightclub
3. Shoot some innocent garbage truck drivers
4. Obtain an arrest warrant for a man, then proceed to shoot him after he's been disarmed.

wandering

Banned
Hispaanic is not a race, it's an ethnicity. All Latinos are Hispanic but not all Hispanics are Latinos. Half of all Latinos and Hispanics in America consider themselves White.

I don't think it's exactly an ethnicity, either. Ethnicity is even more specific than race. Hispanic is more of a cultural background.

Saw it today in just normal theater, no IMAX or 3D, and really enjoyed it. Wasn't deep or philosophical, I thought Blade Runner had much more depth and nuance to it, but I really enjoyed the city shots and aspects, like that one quick shot of the guy walking around in a glass fishbowl with data scrolling all around him - what was that, why does it do, etc. Or the S9 guy who cut up his stomach so he... doesn't get drunk? Absolutely everything about the nightclub or diving scenes or the jellyfish.

As someone with half chinese daughters I can sympathize with the people who hate the movie for white washing but end of the day it felt like a future where race didn't really matter at all, like this weird place where everyone is a melange of different races, people speak multiple languages and for audience convenience we hear everything as English (except for one guy!), and man advertising is out of control. It would have been interesting to have a scene explain why ScarJo looks the way she does but I think there's probably no way to do it without offending someone. ScarJo was a bit stiff and odd in the role but I guess it played across the "I am a robot, beep boop bop" idea.

Mostly the movie makes me want to watch the anime movie or TV show, I might have watched the movie anime in college long ago but don't really remember anything about it.

Zoe

I don't think it's exactly an ethnicity, either. Ethnicity is even more specific than race. Hispanic is more of a cultural background.

eth·nic·i·ty
eTHˈnisədē/
noun
the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.

The government counts Hispanic as an ethnicity, and it's the only ethnicity that is tracked on an official basis.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Just saw the film. ScarJo is really good. The film overall is pretty good. Music was enjoyable. Yeah, the story is
Hollywooded, but it feels honest
, so I don't mind. Some scenes really nail the original movie's atmosphere.

I would have loved a Japanese actress, I actually would have absolutely loved if the entire movie was all Japanese made with maybe some Hollywood CGI and music. But I can't cherry pick. As a Hollywood film, its pretty good.
As it is, actually Aramaki is the only actor that does not fit in for me, he speaks in Japanese to everyone around him, while they only speak English and nobody bats an eyelid. He works directly for the PM, am I wrong to assume the PM is also Japanese? Then nobody else fits in as they work for him so they should speak Japanese out of respect.

I hope for a sequel as I really enjoyed it despite some criticism. Fans should see it, don't expect the same thing, but appreciate the effort they put into making it look real good. Unless the same director directed it, it was never going to be the same.

just got back from this

CGI was okay

story was lacklustre

pacing was terrible

i liked kuze's design and finish. the height really makes him, i think.

movie wasn't atrocious

IbukiLordSA

This movie was fantastic, me and the wife loved every moment of it. Watched it in 3D IMAX and it looks spectacular, really great movie. Can't wait for the home release so I can add it to my yearly GITS watch list.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just saw this film.

My takeaway is that what made the source material interesting to me, and what made the source material interesting to the producers of GitS 2017 was completely different.

They borrowed shots and sequences from the anime, but I felt like every instance in GitS 2017 was inferior. They often simplified, combined, or eliminated characters and motivations.

They also said "ghost" and "shell" way too much, lol.

It's solely a business decision.

He's popular in Japan, and they want this movie to do well in Japan. Making him try to say his lines in English would be a mistake, so they just did what they did.

No need to make a up story about it that fits in the world. It is what it is.

It's pretty common for bilingual actors to shoot scenes twice in different languages for different markets. I just imagine Kitano isn't comfortable with acting in English, or the director didn't like his English performance.

Zoe

For those wondering where the hell Rila Fukushima was...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...esses-dissect-movie-whitewashing-twist-990956
After the first image of Scarlett Johansson in character sparked whitewashing backlash last spring, Paramount quickly announced the casting of Rila Fukushima. I saw her name in the opening credits, but I didn't see her.

Kato-Kiriyama: She was in this movie?

Agena: Is she possibly — there's
the original Motoko that gets dragged out
. It's all blurry, but she passes by Scarlett Johansson...

Yoshihara: Holy shit...

There were only two young Japanese women who weren't robots in the movie. One was
human Motoko
, and the other was when Batou gets his X-ray eyes and he briefly X-rays in on the Japanese secretary. Maybe that was her? [Editors note: According to this behind-the-scenes video at special effects studio Weta Workshop, Fukushima was the face model for the geisha robots.]

I'm just out of the cinema. And while it wasn't perfect, it certainly wasn't as horrible as some people criticized it.
All in all it was nicely designed, great directing and I even thought that the story was decent.
I also thought that the white washing wasn't as noticeable as many people made it seem. I always thought that the story takes place in Japan, yet that it was culturally more diverse.

Btw: Besides us, there were only nine other people in the movie..

I want to see the movie mainly because visually I like how it looks. But it's been getting so much hate that I don't know whether I should even bother. The whole Japanese thing doesn't' bother me as much as it does for other movies because I never viewed her as a Japanese character to begin with.

Trokil

Banned
I want to see the movie mainly because visually I like how it looks. But it's been getting so much hate that I don't know whether I should even bother. The whole Japanese thing doesn't' bother me as much as it does for other movies because I never viewed her as a Japanese character to begin with.

Then watch it and also in 3D because it is beautiful. The visuals are very much like in the anime.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
you know this movie is basically like the ghostbusters remake except the roles were reversed.

the people who were for the all woman cast were against ghost in the shell for not casting an asian female lead.

and the ones angry at the respective films were happy when they did poorly or the perception that it did poorly. in the end ghostbusters still did 230 mil and gits will probably do well internationally.

in the end both movies were fine, i didnt see ghost busters but that seemed to be the sentiment for most viewers.

bobawesome

My god this movie sucked. I wasn't expecting anything good but they completely blew it. Completely screwed up the Major's character and the writing is so bad - devoid of any subtlety. By the end I expected her to say that she was the Ghost in the Shell. I'm certain that was in there at some point in the writing process.

Lagamorph

Just got out from seeing this and I'm just so bored.
Nothing was particularly interesting, it was just thoroughly dull from start to finish.

Normally I love 3D but it was utter tosh in this. Barely even noticed it most of the time.

Gastone

Saw this last night.

What a disaster of a movie. I've seen the originale anime multiple times, and hold it in high regard. This attempt at a live action version was completely ruined by a safe and muddled script with a shitty storyline. Majority of the characters felt like they were simply cosplaying . ScarJo looked decent enough and i don't really have a problem with her as Major, but her performance was pretty much phoned in.

The visual style of the movie was also a big problem for me. The street/city shots felt like someone said "let's throw every cool thing from the future into these scenes and make it look erm..futuristic!" Bland, sterile and without any form of "soul" to the scenery.

The only parts of the movie i somewhat enjoyed were the copied scenes from the original. Everything else was a god damn travesty.

Lagamorph

The film did seem to have one accurate future prediction at least. Brexit will be such a disaster that future Japan is going to be overrun by the English.

Watched it yesterday in IMAX.

Overall, pretty enjoyable. The visuals were damn good. And damn, ScarJo is a fine woman. It's not a movie that I'd buy, but I'll definitely watch it again once it hits Netflix bluray.

I think my only complaint would be the forced 3D in IMAX. It added nothing to the movie. Fuck you, studio execs for the extra tax.

The 3D was amazing?! Generally I only watch Marvel movies in 3D IMAX. Usually if its not done right the effect sort of slowly fades away to me. But Ghost in the Shell seemed to have 3D elements the entire way through that I could actually see.

Bishop89

Just came back from seeing it. Loved every single thing about it. Only weird thing was how major would walk...

Visually it's eyegasmic.
The soundtrack was cyberpunky, huge plus!
Characters were great.

Trokil

Banned
So if people ever were wondering why Hollywood picked Scarlett Johansson.

The international numbers are in and Ghost in the Shell launched about as good as Ant-Man in a lot of countries (France for example) in some even better (Russia or Germany) and in some worse (UK or Australia), but there is actually not that much of a difference as you might have expected.

Ghost in the Shell
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=ghostintheshell2017.htm

Ant-Man
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=antman.htm

The China and Japan numbers will be very interesting next week.

And just to compare the numbers, this is the link to Power Rangers
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=powerrangers16.htm

Only weird thing was how major would walk...

Yeah I kinda chuckled every time she stormed off all hunched over.

Overall I thought it was pretty dull, nice visuals though. It was fun seeing bits of Wellington here and there, all the places I used to wait for the bus.

Renpatsu

Anyone read this short essay Hideo Kojima penned for Glixel on Ghost in the Shell?
Hideo Kojima said:
I’d like to discuss the relationship between a ghost and a shell briefly, by substituting the idea with the relationship between an original work and how it's represented. If the "ghost" is the spirit, theme and other essential elements of a given work, then the "shell" is the media and methods used to represent it.
As a Hollywood movie, it finds a certain degree of success by interpreting the "ghost" of the story – the fundamental theme – through its visual presentation, and it's actually extremely successful at fitting into the shell of a Hollywood blockbuster. For viewers that might shy away from the reflective and philosophical leanings of the manga or anime, this is definitely the version to see.
Even with all the latest visual technology, though, the film basically boils down to a series of faithfully recreated scenes from the anime. This is not a bad thing per se. As a fan of the manga and anime, it was a pleasant surprise, and the respect that the movie shows in mimicking the anime is unquestionable. As a real fan of the original works, though, I can't help but feel that the production was trapped in the shell of the original, and as a result, it fails to come into its own.

J_Viper

If I don't give a damn about the controversy or the anime, could I enjoy this? I'm going to see it tomorrow.

I'm only interested for the visuals, action, and Scarlet

Charcoal

Saw it last night and now I'm conflicted. I'm not sure if ScarJo as the major or Olivia Wilde as Quorra in Tron is my waifu.

Pat_DC

OK, so where is the score for this movie (Mansell/Balfe)? I can't seem to find it anywhere to buy or download.

Been trying to find this as well. Still haven't seen the film but as a Clint fan the only track I could find was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSN8ndwJPVo

And comments on that page lead to forums that claim lakeshore records have cancelled it's release. There are no sources and lake shore usually take awhile to release osts (stranger things took a bit of time). So hopefully we find out a bit more soon.

FiraB

Banned
Saw it last night, good movie but they basically made it wrong script wise. Some scenes where excellent like the fights and that underwater scene was perfect but they stuck to close to safe boundaries.

Personally they should have lent more on the mystery and thriller style aspects of the series with action then what they went for.

Good attempt but not quite.

Tizocc

Neo Member
I think you have it backwards all hispanics are latinos but not all latinos are hispanic.
A brazilian is latino but he is not hispanic.
Also just because a hispanic person considers himself white doesnt make it so, half my family swears they are white but we arent .We are your average mexican mestizo family but since self hatred is high in latin america most will choose to say they are white if they are light skinned

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hispanic - linguistic, language is Spanish or Spanish-descended
Latino - geographic, originating from central or south america

There are Hispanic Latinos (Peruvians), non-Hispanic Latinos (Brazilians), non-Latino Hispanics (Spaniards).

Zoe

I think you have it backwards all hispanics are latinos but not all latinos are hispanic.
Also just because a hispanic person considers himself white doesnt make it so, half my family swears they are white but we arent .We are your average mexican mestizo family but since self hatred is high in latin america most will choose to say they are white if they are light skinned
According to the US government, Hispanic is a group comprised of many races. You can be white, black, Asian, Native American, mixed, etc. The statistic is used to gauge the need for Spanish services.

This has been the case since the Clinton era, IIRC.

It makes a difference in America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hispanic_and_Latino_Americans

I didn't realize Brazilians aren't considered Hispanic but are Latino. Thanks for educating me on that, because now I need to update myself and do further research so I don't sound like a dumb ass.

Rehynn

Finally saw it today. Kept waiting for it to turn bad, but it never did. Some parts overexplained some things that are by now cyberpunk clichés, but it's a movie for mainstream audiences, so they did not stick out too much.

Most importantly: Can anyone tell me what kind of shirt and vest Cutter is wearing here? I need this combo.

ghost-in-shell-cutter.jpg

anaron

If I don't give a damn about the controversy or the anime, could I enjoy this? I'm going to see it tomorrow.

I'm only interested for the visuals, action, and Scarlet
Definitely.

Finally saw it today. Kept waiting for it to turn bad, but it never did. Some parts overexplained some things that are by now cyberpunk clichés, but it's a movie for mainstream audiences, so they did not stick out too much.

Most importantly: Can anyone tell me what kind of shirt and vest Cutter is wearing here? I need this combo.

ghost-in-shell-cutter.jpg

I think this movie will settle as a bit of a cult classic down the road. It's not an amazing film, but there's tons to love about it.

Timeaisis

Just saw it. It was a lot better than I thought it would be, to be quite honest. Story and acting was nothing to write home about, but the visuals were really well done and the set design was great. Some of the action scenes were really cool, too.

My biggest criticism was it was overlong and wasn't very efficient in the storytelling department. The middle seemed get unnecessary, and the villain
the real one
was paper thin.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Definitely.

I think this movie will settle as a bit of a cult classic down the road. It's not an amazing film, but there's tons to love about it.

i dont think it will be too much of one unless there's some directors cut that makes the movie a bit smarter than it is.

i think it might be a cult classic in only the visual sense -- if such a thing exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom