• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell |OT| I was born in the sea of information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus Christ you are insufferable. They took an Asian character and made her white. That would be fine if they changed the entire setting of the movie so that it was in the West, but they didnt, and they've been trying to have it both ways the entire time. Now they literally made the character
into an Asian who is put in a white woman's body
for the sole purpose of appealing to a white audience who can't deal with minorities. That is racist. Stop excusing this shit because "lol business".

Seriously. They didn't change anything about the source material other than making the main character white. She's still Japanese. She's still Makoto Kusanagi. That's the issue.

sphagnum

Banned
This reads like saying Americans know better what is offensive regarding depiction of Japanese art than Japanese do.

Was there controversy when the ring was adapted to a western film? I don't remember.

The Ring didn't try to have it both ways, and this isn't about what Japan thinks. This is about a Western adaptation, the Western audience, Western studios, and the people who work in that industry.

You're projecting there. They did it because ScarJo is an established headliner with a history of leading roles in SciFi action films.

Yes it's a self-fulfilling prophecy because Asians aren't given the chance to become headliners, but for a commercially risky anime adaptation I don't think you can fault the producers for wanting to play it safe. ScarJo will get some butts in seats, and her character is a cyborg. It works within the fiction.

Now the Emme Stone situation on the other hand...

Use iron fist as an example of a project that probably deserves more criticism because their lead didn't fit the bill for a martial arts master and the scenes suffered for it. In that case there doesnt appear to have been a proper reason to choose the actor they did. Iron fist's key defining trait is mastery of martial arts. You should have an actor that has demonstrated that, regardless of race.

Scarlett has action movie experience and name recognition. Her casting in this role can be defended.

The Ring didn't try to have it both ways, and this isn't about what Japan thinks. This is about a Western adaptation, the Western audience, Western studios, and the people who work in that industry.
This is a role that could have gone to an unknown Asian American actress with ease.

There's a chance that they even had Japanese actresses try out for the part, but who knows. From a business perspective (whether or not you like the lead role choice), this made the most sense for a global, mainstream movie. She's recognizable through the world from Marvel and other movies. In many many cases, the celebrities' names are enough to sell a movie and tickets. The movie industry is a business, and it's up to the team if it's about making a movie or if it's about creating their art at a possible loss. It all depends on who is making it.

I would've liked a Japanese person for the role, but realistically that just wouldn't happen, with no huge Japanese names in Hollywood/tv/etc., right now. I feel like the movie did try to compromise, but people are taking it the wrong way, and finding ot offensive, rather than something they tried to do, more for the fans, possibly.

If anything, I am honestly surprised that I don't remember any controversy around Live Die Reprat/Edge of Tomorrow, where Tom Cruise (a huge, globally-recognized) name, played the role of a Japanese teen. I enjoyed both the original book/manga, and the movie, myself. In the end, you really can't make everyone happy, why simultaneously trying to make money.

Correct me if I'm wrong cuz I never read All You Need Is Kill, but didn't the movie take the premise and did it's own thing with it?

Correct me if I'm wrong cuz I never read All You Need Is Kill, but didn't the movie take the premise and did it's own thing with it?
Edge of Tomorrow only borrows the idea of "man at war with aliens uses time loop" along with a few character titles. The rest is basically entirely original.

Hey it could have been someone's breakout moment. There are no big Asian stars, because Asians don't get casted to get a chance to get big. It's a circular problem.

I know, but it's a huge problem if Japanese movie industry doesn't have actresses who can speak english well enough. It's really, really understandable. Most accents in blockbusters are huge turn offs for the native speakers.

Zero315

Banned
Its a shitty plot point. But again it isn't racist. It also fits well within how the GitS universe works.

Im sure if this movie was made 15 years ago we would have had Lucy Liu portraying her. Scarlett is the in Sci-fi/Action Actress atm.

They literally take an Asian woman and make her white. It is the literal definition of whitewashing. Not even mentioning how this plays into the way that beauty standards are in Asia, where lighter skin is considered to be more desirable and people feel pressured into having plastic surgery to make themselves live up to western beauty standards.

Zoe

I know, but it's a huge problem if Japanese movie industry doesn't have actresses who can speak english well enough. It's really, really understandable. Most accents in blockbusters are huge turn offs for the native speakers.

Imagine a world where there are Asian actors out there with perfect English.. Americans, even!

I'd love to live in that world.

This isn't just about actors born in Japan. Asian-American actresses don't get a shot in Hollywood, either.

one thing people seem to forget here is that the studio backing this film maybe needed a star in this film so the movie would make more money. if it had been with a random not known asian woman maybe they thought it would have made less money?

then again, many "big star" movies have tanked at the box office... so obviously its not a given that the film would make more with a star in it...

I am oki with Major being played by a white person. Its a robot and her body is just a shell and besides, Major doesnt look typical asian in the original GITS movie anyway.
What are "typical Asians" in Anime?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Edge of Tomorrow only borrows the idea of "man at war with aliens uses time loop" along with a few character titles. The rest is basically entirely original.

I'd say a lot of it is the same, actually (except for the climax). They used a lot of the same scenes and everything. So I'm not sure why this would get a pass...

Peltz

Even though he authored the Manga, he doesn't speak for the current social climate in the United States nor do his statements reflect the standards that many people expect to see out of Hollywood regarding ethnic diversity and equality.

He is only qualified to comment on whether he feels his own work is being done justice, not whether justice, itself, is being done.

I would've liked a Japanese person for the role, but realistically that just wouldn't happen, with no huge Japanese names in Hollywood/tv/etc., right now. I feel like the movie did try to compromise, but people are taking it the wrong way, and finding ot offensive, rather than something they tried to do, more for the fans, possibly.

It's a chicken and egg situation. How are we going to have Asian stars if they can't get starring roles?

kmax

Yes, you'd rather that.

But I doubt the share holders of the company 'd rather it'
Rated R, low budget, Japanese actress. The sure way to get hundreds of millions.

The people running the show are too afraid to experiment. Their current model is unsustainable, with movies ballooning up to 100's of millions of dollars, leaving the mid tier movies in the cold.

Rated R is getting traction again after a long period in which PG-13 was the norm. Hopefully, whitewashing will be a thing in the past in the future.

CryptiK

Jesus Christ you are insufferable. They took an Asian character and made her white. That would be fine if they changed the entire setting of the movie so that it was in the West, but they didnt, and they've been trying to have it both ways the entire time. Now they literally made the character
for the sole purpose of appealing to a white audience who can't deal with minorities. That is racist. Stop excusing this shit because "lol business".
Its a popularity contest not a racial one. It is not racist

kewlmyc

Pretty much for the most part, which is how I think most anime adaptions should be handled. Comic book movies do this, why can't anime movies? It's why I'm looking forward to Death Note despite it not looking like the original.

The problem here though is that they are acknowledging that
Makoto Kusanagi exists in this universe and are just putting her in a white woman's body. Yeah, it fits the universe, but it's so damn transparent why they did it, that it's still slimy feeling. I don't blame the writers and director of the movie for this, but the general idea in Hollywood that Asian actors can't be the headliners of big budget movies. Sadly, I can't think of a movie recently that has proven this wrong, which really fucking sucks.

This isn't just about actors born in Japan. Asian-American actresses don't get a shot in Hollywood, either.

Let's be really blunt then. Are there good enough (in their action acting) Asian-American actresses who have ScarJo sex appeal to sell an expensive 120 million dollar movie to a pretty niche audience? And if you can find someone who might appeal to the said audience, are studios willing to risk a total disaster with a no-name actress? These are the realities and this is why ScarJo is the lead.

They need to sell a movie.

Its a popularity contest not a racial one. It is not racist

Yep. It's an expensive high-risk business. First and foremost they think about profits. Then comes the rest. Sex sells. Familiarity sells. The sell images and dreams.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually curious to what mainstream Japan thinks about the issue. Not the hardcore fans, but those that might be travelling on trains and seeing ads everywhere to their jobs. In fact, I wonder what the bigger name in Japan truly is: ScarJo, or GitS?

Trokil

Banned
So Guardian review is out as well and it seems, it is not a bad movie at all with great to amazing visuals. Not a great movie, but also not a bad one. So it is a solid adaptation of the Japanese source, not as deep as the anime more like the manga or one of the more casual Stand Alone Complex episodes.

And after all the Scarlett hate, it seems she actually made a good job and played the role in a serious way as she does pretty much every time.

Within the context of the film and the themes of identity it still works. Within the context of White leads dominance in other culture's stories in American films and the lack of Asian American leads, it's definitely problematic. Trying to justify the casting by actually making it a plot point probably made it worse. You'll get no argument from me there. I still wouldn't call it racist though.

Let's be really blunt then. Are there good enough (in their action acting) Asian-American actresses who have ScarJo sex appeal to sell an expensive 120 million dollar movie to a pretty niche audience? And if you can find someone who might appeal to the said audience, are studios willing to risk a total disaster with a no-name actress? These are the realities and this is why ScarJo is the really lead.

They need to sell a movie.

Hidden Figures made more money than X-Men Apocalypse and Star Trek Beyond, which had well known leads and made below expectations. The reality is minorities can sell a movie it's just Hollywood doesn't give them the chance and pretends ScarJo is all we got.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm surprisingly fine with that ending as that is totally something SAC or Oshii would have done. It's very in line with the franchise.

So Guardian review is out as well and it seems, it is not a bad movie at all with great to amazing visuals. Not a great movie, but also not a bad one. So it is a solid adaptation of the Japanese source, not as deep as the anime more like the manga or one of the more casual Stand Alone Complex episodes.

And after all the Scarlett hate, it seems she actually made a good job and played the role in a serious way as she does pretty much every time.
Yep she's always good for a serious amount of effort in the roles she plays. That's one of the reasons why she gets rightfully cast for female sci-fi leads like this in the first place.

Can't wait to see this on Friday.

If Hollywood bothered casting Asian American actors in leads, period, then casting one in this movie's lead role wouldn't be a problem.

No doubt, but it just goes to show who Hollywood thinks of first when casting leads because that's what it's always been designed to do.

Trokil

Banned
I'm surprisingly fine with that ending as that is totally something SAC or Oshii would have done. It's very in line with the franchise.

I don't think it is about the movie or if makes sense within the universe. People are trying to make a political point here.

anaron

I love the people saying "it's racist trash" and "go see the movie"...that also haven't seen it.

While I'm absolutely against whitewashing and the lack of roles for Asian actors, Ghost in the Shell's setting, premise and transhuman theme inherently allows for this casting.

Yes, it did. And tbh is was much better for it — there is no bullshit pretence of "hey fans, we are making All You Need is Kill (well, partially...), pls like subscribe and support". They were always upfront that it was its own thing but based on AYNIK's premise.

If anything, I am honestly surprised that I don't remember any controversy around Live Die Reprat/Edge of Tomorrow, where Tom Cruise (a huge, globally-recognized name), played the role of a Japanese teen. I enjoyed both the original book/manga, and the movie, myself. I enjoy a good adaptation, if it works out as it's own, without clouding over the original. In the end, you really can't make everyone happy, why simultaneously trying to make money.

I've always felt that Edge of Tomorrow is how Hollywood should adapt foreign IPs if they know they plan on changing them. If you are going to do it, then give it its own name (and thus its own identity), and give full acknowledgement that its based on ____________.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hidden Figures made more money than X-Men Apocalypse and Star Trek Beyond, which had well known leads and made below expectations. The reality is minorities can sell a movie it's just Hollywood doesn't give them the chance and pretends ScarJo is all we got.

Domestically yes, worldwide, no. I guess it depends on if a company is banking on a large global push or not. GitS most definitely is. I'm actually very curious to see what countries it does best in. Watching the trends of what countries enjoy the most is very interesting.

antovolk

Then why bother having a Japanese actress in the movie
playing as the Major's original form
? If they want to do an American take on it, have it be that way, but now that they've acknowledged the Japanese origins, they've stuck their foot in their mouth when they could have avoided stoking the controversy.

she's a kid....

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bruce Lee, Lucy Liu, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li all had opportunities in... roles dealing with martial arts and they succeeded.

Technically GITS also involves a lot of martial arts.

But traditional martial arts are considered quaint antiques nowadays I think? Film is now all about MMA and you need white actors for that.

Domestically yes, worldwide, no. I guess it depends on if a company is banking on a large global push or not. GitS most definitely is. I'm actually very curious to see what countries it does best in. Watching the trends of what countries enjoy the most is very interesting.
Hidden Figures is a very American film.

X-Men and Star Trek don't bind themselves to the identity of being an American as much as Hidden Figures does. This naturally leads the property to have more marketing appeal in the worldwide market. Those films would have performed just as well if a PoC was given the lead role. We will see this soon enough when Black Panther releases.

antovolk

Does anyone (spoilers based on those tweets)
know what the transphobic joke actually is? What's the context?

Batou is in the men's toilet with a woman next to him taking a piss standing up, and he gives he a 'wut' look when she leaves

wazoo

Black people can. Asians have never really been given the chance.

Maybe Asian people should try to lead 10,20,30,40,50M budget movies before crying about being dismissed for leading one of the big budget movies.

Lucy Liu was the closest to get it, and it was 15 years ago.

Bruce Lee, Lucy Liu, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li all had opportunities in... roles dealing with martial arts and they succeeded.

Lucy Liu, who... came to fame in an office-based TV comedy, whose biggest Hollywood role was a Tarantino pastiche of a 1970s Japanese period revengesploitation flick, and who more recently has played a TV cop and a sleuth. Edit: forgot about Charlie's Angels - good point.

Hollywood doesn't know what to do with Asian actors, doesn't give them the same opportunities as white actors, and doesn't really care.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I've always felt that Edge of Tomorrow is how Hollywood should adapt foreign IPs if they know they plan on changing them. If you are going to do it then give it its own name/identity and give full acknowledgement that though it is its own thing, its based on ____________.

I don't think it's about how much/little they change, but how does the movie work, in general. All You Need is Kill is fairly niche, compared to other adaptations. The Dragonball movie, was just an awful movie in general, with or without the references or what it was based on.

Line_HTX

I love the people saying "it's racist trash" and "go see the movie"...that also haven't seen it.

While I'm absolutely against whitewashing and the lack of roles for Asian actors, Ghost in the Shell's setting, premise and transhuman theme inherently allows for this casting.

And the way this was made this adaptation was for a very broad audience worldwide, right?

Maybe Asian people should try to lead 10,20,30,40,50M budget movies before crying about being dismissed for leading one of the big budget movies.
Slumdog Millionaire and Lion made its budget back and then some with Dev Patel in the lead role. Those films hover around the $10 - $20 million budget range.

Lucy Liu was in one of the main roles in Charlie's Angels. A film with a $90 million budget. That also succeeded in making its budget back and then some.

There is room for Asian American actors/actresses to lead in films with smaller and larger budgets.
Lucy Liu, who... came to fame in an office-based TV comedy, whose biggest Hollywood role was a Tarantino pastiche of a 1970s Japanese period revengesploitation flick, and who more recently has played a TV cop and a sleuth.

Hollywood doesn't know what to do with Asian actors, doesn't give them the same opportunities as white actors, and doesn't really care.

Exactly.

Diversifying casting for Asian American actors is a separate issue. I was merely saying that Asian actors have found success in the past, so the claims that Asian American actors would likely fail if given a leading role are pretty flimsy.

Lucy Liu was the closest to get it, and it was 15 years ago.

Lewis Tan wanted to be the Iron Fist. He had the physique and knew martial arts. They turned him down for a white dude who was incapable of delivering a convincing fight scene. Don't act like Asian American actors are slacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom