• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Teaser [Netflix / 2020]

plushyp

Reactions:

uvr0jphz7tfkxe4kclje.png

aap3yxv3zn6kyym7riyi.png

iqmnczgbum629trxr1bp.png

Reactions source: https://kotaku.com/the-internet-reacts-to-the-ghost-in-the-shell-full-3d-a-1839283742

crumbs

Netflix has a bit of a reverse-Midas touch thing going on lately.

Not sure how successful courting anime fans will be considering this show, the Cowboy Bebop live action series, and their anime "simulcast" release strategy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yuck at that art style. Looks like that janky Xenoblade Wii U game.

Last edited by a moderator:

mortal

Gold Member
No fucking thank you.

I can't stand how they've been turning Motoko into kawaii waifu bait. Ilya Kuvshinov is a good artist by his own merit, but he's just not a good fit for GITS, at least in opinion.

It makes me sad knowing we'll never get a GITS animation with quality level of the Mamoru Oshii films. A film released in 1995 is still more ground breaking than what they're producing in 2019/2020.

VQpV6s1.jpg

Last edited:
questionable aesthetics aside, that feet animation is really bothering me. She lands with her right foot first but it's pointed inwards. There's also no weight to it. The biggest problem is that she's on the LEFT side of the car. To land with the right foot first is super awkward and makes no sense.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is a weird timeline to live in

brap

Banned
Looks like some CGI shitfest from the early 2000s. Also it's from netflix so you know it's gonna be hot dogshit.

Nymphae

Banned
No fucking thank you.

I can't stand how they've been turning Motoko into kawaii waifu bait. Ilya Kuvshinov is a good artist by his own merit, but he's just not a good fit for GITS, at least in opinion.

It makes me sad knowing we'll never get a GITS animation with quality level of the Mamoru Oshii films. A film released in 1995 is still more ground breaking than what they're producing in 2019/2020.

VQpV6s1.jpg

It's really unfortunate what has happened to animated cinema. How is it that the best stuff is so far behind us now? Reminds me of my recent thread on the progression of Disney's animation content, they won't even touch 2D anymore.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Looks like some CGI shitfest from the early 2000s. Also it's from netflix so you know it's gonna be hot dogshit.

Aren't people saying the Breaking Bad movie was decent? I guess they're just throwing money at different creators, eventually someone was going to make something good, but yeah their track record has not been great. I saw a comment recently from a guy who said "The red N on thumbnails literally just signals woke trash that is safe to avoid", and I pretty much agree.

J-Roderton

No fucking thank you.

VQpV6s1.jpg

That's some goooood shit.

brap

Banned
It's really unfortunate what has happened to animated cinema. How is it that the best stuff is so far behind us now? Reminds me of my recent thread on the progression of Disney's animation content, they won't even touch 2D anymore.
Too much effort. Why bother making something beautiful when you can take a year to make something that looks like a PS2 game?
maxresdefault.jpg

Aren't people saying the Breaking Bad movie was decent? I guess they're just throwing money at different creators, eventually someone was going to make something good, but yeah their track record has not been great. I saw a comment recently from a guy who said "The red N on thumbnails literally just signals woke trash that is safe to avoid", and I pretty much agree.
yeah. netflix shits out a million different things a year. i can tell they really want the japanese stuff to stick too so they can put their stupid western politics in it.

sol_bad

This looks ... bad. What have Netflix done. I really hope I am proven wrong and it turns out excellent and somehow they just showed the most shittiest and blandest scene in the whole series.

With Netflix being in charge, that also worries me. I saw "news" on Comic Book Resources about a new "none binary" fucking character in the new She-Ra cartoon played by a "none binary" fucking real life person. It was a man with purple hair and purple lipstick on. Kids cartoon. %&^#%&#%^%$#^%&#%

I hope they don't try pushing this binary none gendered shit in anime.

Fbh

Why does two thirds of anime made by Netflix look like a Ps2 cutscene?
This, Ultraman, Saint Seiya, Blame, Knights of Sidonia, Those Godzilla Movies, Ajin, etc.

I'd rather have them financing half as many shows but putting in the effort to make them look nice. That Ultraman show had some scenes with so much aliasing you'd think it was actually rendered on a Switch

crowbrow

Banned
This, Ultraman, Saint Seiya, Blame, Knights of Sidonia, Those Godzilla Movies, Ajin, etc.

I'd rather have them financing half as many shows but putting in the effort to make them look nice. That Ultraman show had some scenes with so much aliasing you'd think it was actually rendered on a Switch
Netflix is now releasing quantity instead of quality sadly. They need to keep releasing shit shows in order to fill a quota. I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my subscription.

Reactions: Fbh
No. There's several countries there with the age of consent is 14. Some lower.
No fucking thank you.

VQpV6s1.jpg

God damn this animation looks so damn good just an incredible movie and the one movie that started my love of the cyberpunk genre.

Tesseract

Banned
i'm holding out hope because i'm starving for more gits content

where's our fucking neuromancer movie tho

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Looks terrible and I did not like the Arise OVA. It ran out of steam after the second season of Stand Alone Complex. Reminds me that I haven't checked out any new anime lately, just the new season of One Punch Man (ok) and Attack on Titan (meh). Has there been anything good lately like GiTS or Mushishi? Is there any good anime on Netflix that's new?

Do you guys actually think it looks terrible? Or are you just exaggerating because it says Ghost in the Shell?

We barely even saw anything. If the writing is good its more important than the graphics. Netflix is running ads for it. It'll have some cool shit I'm sure.

brap

Banned
Do you guys actually think it looks terrible? Or are you just exaggerating because it says Ghost in the Shell?

We barely even saw anything. If the writing is good its more important than the graphics. Netflix is running ads for it. It'll have some cool shit I'm sure.
It looks like shit and it's netflix so it's going to be shit.

It looks like shit and it's netflix so it's going to be shit.
I don't buy that. Netflix isn't making it. Other people make it and distributors bid on it.

If Netflix didn't pick this up so a ton of people would see it as part of their subscription, then 99% of the people here commenting wouldn't even watch it. They wouldn't buy it. They wouldn't get it on Crunchyroll.

It's a semi-free GotS series. And people haven't even seen it yet and they're going super negative. I just think it's a little premature.

All we saw her do is get out of the tank! That's it lol.

CeroFrio996

Banned
Not really enough to know how good or bad it'll look imo, but honestly CGI is so expensive and time consuming, even now, that a tv show done entirely in CGI is really difficult to pull off. It's so much easier to make a passable handdrawn show than a CGI one. I think Dragon Prince proves this. It's a fine looking show 90% of the time but sometimes it's just so off that it ruins the rest of it.

Last edited:
As a GitS SAC (or GitS in general) fan this is like a kick in the nuts. Feels like they want to emulate the SAC intros... but they kinda manage to make it look worse than the almost 20 year old intro of SAC

I was hyped for this, now I feel like how I felt when I saw the Berserk 2017 trailers. I am still hopeful, though. It might turn out to be a decent show, but damn do I hate this non cel-shaded look for a show. It really looks like a game.

The very first anime netflix financed was Devilman Crybaby followed by B: The Beginning, AICO, Sword Gai, Aggretsuko and Lost Song and Hero Mask. Anime adaptions of Altered Carbon and Pacific Rim are also in the works.

The anime you list are only licensed, they were done for japanese TV or Cinemas. Blame is a weird exception here... that one was in the making for 10 years, the original studio behind it went bankrupt and then it was picked up by another japanese Studio. It was supposed to be a japanese cinema release but then Netflix bought the rights and released it globally a day after the japanese BD release. It also looks pretty damn good for a CGI anime most of the time
ezSpj6G.gif

As a GitS SAC (or GitS in general) fan this is like a kick in the nuts. Feels like they want to emulate the SAC intros... but they kinda manage to make it look worse than the almost 20 year old intro of SAC

I was hyped for this, now I feel like how I felt when I saw the Berserk 2017 trailers. I am still hopeful, though. It might turn out to be a decent show, but damn do I hate this non cel-shaded look for a show. It really looks like a game.

The very first anime netflix financed was Devilman Crybaby followed by B: The Beginning, AICO, Sword Gai, Aggretsuko and Lost Song and Hero Mask. Anime adaptions of Altered Carbon and Pacific Rim are also in the works.

The anime you list are only licensed, they were done for japanese TV or Cinemas. Blame is a weird exception here... that one was in the making for 10 years, the original studio behind it went bankrupt and then it was picked up by another japanese Studio. It was supposed to be a japanese cinema release but then Netflix bought the rights and released it globally a day after the japanese BD release. It also looks pretty damn good for a CGI anime most of the time
ezSpj6G.gif

The SAC intro looks massively worse. It's just set at night, and to a great song.

Ivory Blood

WTF is this shit. First they make that movie, then this? Will I have to watch the old SAC seasons and the movies till 2077 releases and quenches my thirst for more serious cyberpunk?

Wake the fuck up, Netflix, you did a stellar job with Altered Carbon and some of the Love Death and Robots visuals. Don't taint the most famous cyberpunk property even further with this abomination.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member

Why do you assume people must be exaggerating? The entire point of the teaser is to give audiences an impression of what the show will look like, no?
There's defeintly some that like what was shown, but speaking for myself at least, it'll be a pass. I'm not a fan the direction they're taking with this at all.
The animation and the art direction look subpar, especially considering what previous GITS adaptions had to offer nearly 25 years ago.
Even GITS: Innocence had better crafted CG that was more creatively woven into the presentation of the animation.

It's obvious they're going with CG animation here because it's just cheaper to produce for the studios. Which has become an unfortunate trend for many recent lower budget anime productions, much to the deferment of the quality in the animation and presentation in my opinion. On top of all that, I really dislike the design of Motoko. Too clean, too cute, no grit.

Personally I would just love a follow up to the hard science fiction cyberpunk of the Mamoru Oshii films. Grounded and mature tone, philosophical themes, and detailed animation that elevated the medium.

Last edited:
Yeah, that looks like shit. I’ll pass. Why couldn’t they just stick with a regular 2D anime style instead of this garbage? Oh yeah, that’s right. It’s Netflix. They want to cheap out and make the worst “anime” possible if you can even call this shit anime. Jeebus Christ this is bad.

Typhares

Netflix stop please, GITS SAC is amazing and then you do this shit....
Saint seiya is amazing and then you do shit with it...

What's even more upsetting to me is that they can do great things like the castlevania adaptation... just make more of that and stop with the shitty 3D bullshit!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looks like shit. I'm a a big fan of the original film as well as the Stand Alone Complex series's and this is just appalling. I guess it could be good regardless. The new Berserk show had shit animation and art and I still enjoyed it because the material is so good.

Top Bottom