• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima is the best looking game this gen

Amazing looking and playing game, artistically reminds me a bit of PS3 era games. It could use some clarity/res bump, and less homogeneous assets in the world.

MiguelItUp

Definitely the best in the style it uses. It's a fucking beautiful game. It does some things better than others.

RDR2
Death Stranding
GoT

These three contain some of the most beautiful looking environments I have ever seen.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yeah art design and use of colors makes it beautiful looking game. But its nowhere near impressive as RDR2.

RDR2 is still technically most impressive open world game out there.

Agreed. Ghost looks amazing in terms of the world itself, but the character models are not on par with something like The Last Of Us 2 or Red Dead 2. Red Dead 2 gets the nod because it looks amazing everywhere, not simply just the world itself.

Agreed. Ghost looks amazing in terms of the world itself, but the character models are not on par with something like The Last Of Us 2 or Red Dead 2. Red Dead 2 gets the nod because it looks amazing everywhere, not simply just the world itself.
I find those little things more impressive in RDR2

There are Series of videos showing insane details on YT . No game out there can match RDR 2 in terms of level realism in open world

Last edited:
Just because it has colorful trees and skies doesn't mean it looks the BEST.

LITERALLY within the first 5 minutes of playing the game the technical incompetence at sucker-punch on DISPLAY:

Erz2XVjXMAAt-7n
Exactly, the water effects used on the sea in the 1st stage are embarrassing. I'm not a fan of the game but Death Standing looks far better for starters

assurdum

Banned
Maybe artistically but tech wise ugh it has a lot of raw edges. Even the LOD which is phenomenal in the first area become really terrible in a lot of spots especially in the last area

Self

The art style does most of the heavy job.

Technically i'm not sure it's even superior to 2016 unchy4 or 2017 horizon.

Not just the art style but vegation physics, weather physics, fight animations etc. It's a beautiful looking game, no doubt.

But the overall animations, polygon models and overall texture quality in HZD and Uncharted are leaps ahead, that's true.

nowhat

But the overall animations, polygon models and overall texture quality in HZD and Uncharted are leaps ahead, that's true.
So for the record, GoT was my GOTY last year. It's a joy to play. Imagine that, a video game that you actually enjoy playing? Such a novel concept, at least many games seem to forget this little detail.

But one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is the lack of inverse kinematics. It's been a while since I played Second Son/Last Light, but didn't those feature somewhat realistic feet movement WRT to the ground? That absolutely is not the case here, watch people going up stairs/hills and what happens with the feet. It's not pretty, and it can be quite immersion-breaking if you really pay attention to it.

Helscream

Banned
I am glad to see you have reach enlightenment OP.

Jokes aside, I think GoT is as beautiful as it is, simply because the game is firing on all cylinders to truly immerse the player in the setting. So in turn, the world enthralls the player more effectively.

Magik85

I quite liked what they showed during game reveal but final product was so downgraded in comparation that it looks almost generation apart.
Despite being very colorfull and contrasty it kinda lacks some depth. Its just looking flat.
Best looking game this gen?...I wouldnt put it even in TOP 30 :p

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not just the art style but vegation physics, weather physics, fight animations etc. It's a beautiful looking game, no doubt.

yeah the wind moving the vegetation in that way is pretty unique to look at it (it doesn't really have dynamic non-scripted vegetation physics, it's more of a well done precanned pattern but the effect is nevertheless impressive especially on a fucking jaguar cpu).

i gave you the fight animations like when jin attacks and the various stance, those are well done (still far from the level of something like dmc5 combat animations) but i never gonna praise a game with enemies precanned death animations and no ragdoll in late 2020...seeing an enemy falling down in the same way for a billion times or seeing an enemy dying close to a ledge or roof and and not falling down because it glue on the terrain (even if half of his body is already out of the ledge) kinda disgust me in a realistic looking game with realistic looking combat (it disgust me in any occasion to be honest, it kills my immersion), and just to be clear i hate the combat against humans in horizon for the same reason, and that one is my current gotg...

Weather in general is not really more impressive than the weather system in days gone or rdr2 (unless you are still talking about the wind system), probably the opposite.

Also the shitty water and lack of mud\snow deformation after seeing games like rdr2 or horizon or the latest ac games is very noticeable.

it is a really beatiful looking game overall, but not the best.

Last edited:

Hyphen

or is it last gen? you know what i'm talking about, anyway let's take a look at this beauty, and i dare anyone to name a game more beautiful than GoT (fight me
PlayStation_GhostofTsushima_2020.png
)

wkqYiwg.jpg

PaCyDF2.jpg

PcnO1og.jpg

fEgKKWk.jpg

more:

8J8zcOz.jpg

m1hbn0v.jpg

R7bjIag.jpg

84aNHgu.jpg

rSTICnX.jpg

HO75CiK.jpg

PnZs28g.jpg

oyAsx8n.jpg

4QkXhJu.jpg

Fww4HhS.jpg

B5FqFb3.jpg

XIh63Nf.jpg

hhLc3Hm.jpg

21gKBjd.jpg

VamAi56.jpg

Iz7OkKN.jpg

uajmva6.jpg

g3uYSv6.jpg

62DdzMj.jpg

fGfVpjo.jpg

Gkie3M8.jpg

Vozv1pe.jpg

it's even more beautiful in action:

Fair enough OP. That's your pick. Nothing wrong with that.
I think it can look beautiful at times, but as others have mentioned, there are moments when it doesn't shine so bright.
I thought Red Dead Redemption 2 looked absolutely stunning most of the time. The Last of Us 2 Part II had some insane attention to detail. However, of all the games I played, I'd personally have to say that I think the best looking game from last-gen was Death Stranding.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What generation is Flight Simulator 2020?
En2j4lwXEAIhzys

Battlefield V on pure texture quality in many many areas.
EINAuRJWkAI5Yvm

ELm_100WoAcidjd

ELm9gW9WsAkRS2S

Battlefront II
EWtgQgLWAAAp1MQ

EWtgG8dWsAMFSWA

Battlefield V finding high quality texture easter eggs that maybe 1% of the community will ever see:
ELm9gXIWwAI1NDy

Agree. Also best forests in gaming. And the open world with the best and smoothest movement on foot and on horse.

Last edited:
It's nice to look at but very rough technically in places.

I posted pictures in another thread about the poor material quality and texture work, awful character lighting at night, the tons of clipping, the poor NPC quality, the laughable water quality etc.

If you curate your pictures you can get beautiful shots but when actually playing its like 60% beautiful 40% really rough looking which is a problem games like TLOU2 and RDR2 dont have.

High peaks but low troughs I guess is the best way to describe it.

kyussman

Technically it's not....it's the art....I've never played a game with so many beautiful vistas.Every new area seemed more impressive than the last.
It's without doubt the best looking game of the PS4 gen for me(remember art not pixels,resolutions,textures ect.)

Raonak

Banned
Absolutely not. The game is a little inconsistent looking. Character models and animations can look underwhelming.

But when the lighting and the environment hits just right, it can look like the best looking game out there.

Bartski

Gold Member
I've never played a game with so many beautiful vistas.
Same, too bad they're often ruined by LOD streaming made to run on base PS4.

The way, for example, the Akashina village changes at different times of day and weather conditions is a masterclass in ambient lighting, that, together with all particle effects and dynamic wind reacting flora does the work to a pretty amazing result. All that at the cost of physics and dynamic non-baked lights (notice how torches carried by Mongols at nighttime produce no light and no shadows for example) and many technical animation shortcomings.

Great art direction but the best looking game of the gen? Not really. Can't wait what their next move on PS5.

Last edited:

Ellery

It is a good looking game that definitely has it moments and it is quite impressive to achieve that amount of graphical quality on the base PS4 very much like they managed to do with Horizon Zero Dawn in an open world game.
Though for me personally it is certainly not the best looking game of last gen.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Artistically is one of the best and probably the best open world, but technically is not even top 5 on PS4.

It is not trivially made and amateurish at all technically (managing these graphics, world complexity, AI and animation, etc... at 30 FPS without huge LOD issues on a base PS4 with mechanical HDD means that they got a very good handle on things... HDR and general lighting and materials are also generally top notch), but sure they do take a lot of pragmatic shortcuts (grass and trees do not react to the character, neither does water much, they simplified IK in terms of character and environment interaction hence clipping in sloped terrain).

All in all it is an incredibly varied and engaging to explore open worlds I have played in a long while: it is incredibly fun to explore and do random errands, uncover shrines, etc... I have spent tons of hours in side quests so far.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It feels like a wonderful dream. With the budget they have, it's one of the best looking games. I still think Death Stranding is the best looking due to the usage of photorealism.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
It feels like a wonderful dream. With the budget they have, it's one of the best looking games. I still think Death Stranding is the best looking due to the usage of photorealism.
That’s a looker for sure. I might check that game out sometime if if the thought of playing it didn’t make me bored.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That’s a looker for sure. I might check that game out sometime if if the thought of playing it didn’t make me bored.

You will get bored as fuck. But 3 pro tips:

1-Progress beyond the first map then come back to it later.
2-Carry many blood bombs because they permanently clear areas from BT/ghosts. Also try to 1 hit 2 for efficiency.
3-Make roads as they make the game so fluid and enjoyable.

It's a unique game, 9/10 to me.

Last edited:

vpance

Agreed. It goes to show how far art style can carry a game.

I was compelled to take hundreds of photo mode screens in GoT but never felt that much desire to in TLoU2 or Unchy.

JeloSWE

Are talking about esthetics then GoT is pretty nice looking with some major flaws of indoors lighting and mediocre HDR implementation. Are we talking from a technical standpoint then TLOU2 and many many games would probably take the top spot. But even so GoT does pull of some incredible technically impressive stuff when it comes to loading and fields of vegetation but so does most ND and Frostbite games and so on as well. It's a great looking game but there are so many that I like the look of I couldn't chose the best.

Top Bottom