• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima is the best looking game this gen

S0ULZB0URNE

I like environments, character designs in Sekiro much more, I don’t care about which one has better graphical tech.
This thread is about that though.
Sekiro isn't known for it's visuals GOT is so not sure why you would make such a silly claim.
Sekiro is flat and uses drab colors.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This thread is about that though.
Sekiro isn't known for it's visuals GOT is so not sure why you would make such a silly claim.
Sekiro is flat and uses drab colors.
This thread is about game’s “art direction” and I like Sekiro’s art direction more, it’s that simple.

CthulhuPL

Short answer? NO.
Long answer? WHile Tsushima can look pretty, it is boring and the world is empty plus it has agressive AA so the image quality i blurry as hell. Also many textures are also mediocre. Horizon Zero Dawn easily eats Tsushima alive (especially on OLED TV). Cyberpunk eats both of them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't think it's clear as a argument could be made for all of them.
We are either talking about aesthetics and art direction which is subjective or are we talking about tech behind graphics which is objective.

Last edited:

PooBone

or is it last gen? you know what i'm talking about, anyway let's take a look at this beauty, and i dare anyone to name a game more beautiful than GoT (fight me
PlayStation_GhostofTsushima_2020.png
)

wkqYiwg.jpg

PaCyDF2.jpg

PcnO1og.jpg

fEgKKWk.jpg

more:

8J8zcOz.jpg

m1hbn0v.jpg

R7bjIag.jpg

84aNHgu.jpg

rSTICnX.jpg

HO75CiK.jpg

PnZs28g.jpg

oyAsx8n.jpg

4QkXhJu.jpg

Fww4HhS.jpg

B5FqFb3.jpg

XIh63Nf.jpg

hhLc3Hm.jpg

21gKBjd.jpg

VamAi56.jpg

Iz7OkKN.jpg

uajmva6.jpg

g3uYSv6.jpg

62DdzMj.jpg

fGfVpjo.jpg

Gkie3M8.jpg

Vozv1pe.jpg

it's even more beautiful in action:

Looks and graphics are always subjective, but in this case I think it’s just fact. Game looks absolutely SICK!

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
It's between Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II and Red Dead Redemption 2 for me. I love the art direction of GoT the most. I think they are all very close.

DavidGzz

It's a matter of opinion and I agree. I can tell Gears 5 or TLOU2 are technically better but I have never stopped to gawk at the visuals as much as I have with GoT.

sobaka770

Banned
It looks goood and the art style is choosen well. That being said most of the impact comes from dynamic elements. The game looks very mediocre and very barren on since screenshots because of that.

What it tells me it's that developers underestimate the impact of dynamic elements to the overall perception of the image. Witcher 3 doesn't technically look as good as AC Valhalla, but the moving fields and forests of Velen fell so much more atmospheric than anything static in Assassin's creed.

Same goes for games like Horizon and Ghost. These games have impressive tech, but what really makes them stand out is the dynamic grass, foliage, wind etc that you see in motion in almost every frame. The first watch dogs sometimes looks better in motion than it's sequels because of constant wind in Chicago. It turns static gamey environment into something much more believable and I hope more artists move to making such worlds.

CitizenZ

Banned
Its a beautiful game and i could post dozens of others equal or better. Art is subjective and while those thinking pixel counts and realism is the benchmark, I drift to something that isnt easy to create, basically a new idea of world, characters and imagery. However, I have gone back to the zone and the detail is incredible. its ok, you can pick either zone, both are better than GoT.

EDMIX

What generation is Flight Simulator 2020?
En2j4lwXEAIhzys

Battlefield V on pure texture quality in many many areas.
EINAuRJWkAI5Yvm

ELm_100WoAcidjd

ELm9gW9WsAkRS2S

Battlefront II
EWtgQgLWAAAp1MQ

EWtgG8dWsAMFSWA

Battlefield V finding high quality texture easter eggs that maybe 1% of the community will ever see:
ELm9gXIWwAI1NDy

Agreed.

Its why I'm so hype for BFVI. DICE do wonders with their engines.

Last edited:

Self

We are either talking about aesthetics and art direction which is subjective or are we talking about tech behind graphics which is objective.
It's not that easy, really. Games may have impressive tech behind them, but still look and bahave shitty. I'm not talking about art, but rather about efficient coding, placement and usage of effects etc.

Mabdia

Well... to me is one of the most impressive games to look at.

Technically to me, the best game is inFamous Second Son. Looks beautiful and plays amazingly.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Agreed.

Its why I'm so hype for BFVI. DICE do wonders with their engines.
Whats even scarier is DICE wont have to worry about making the game run on lastgen consoles and with AMD and Nvidia both have DXR capable cards out they are likely to throw everything they have and actually use full Ray Traced Global Illumination as well.
Their lighting engine was already frikken amazing, add in even better GI and i full expect DICE to have some of the best looking games of the generation.

With their sound design added in....BF6 might be the first fuck me nextgen experience i get this gen.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Good report, best graphics so far. When you have power like the PS4 and 5 the last thing you worry about is graphics.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
the price needs to drop. I'm not paying 40 bucks for it. I'd say 20 is more reasonable lol
GoT is easily worth more than $40 for me, I have spent tons of hours on it already. 4K@60 FPS on PS5 is just icing on the cake, it is one of the best open word formulas out there IMHO (even the regular open world tropes like a lot of the small side quests, free base, help group of people, stop bandits, etc... are actually well integrated in the game’s backstory so it all flows).

Malakhov

Banned
Tsushima, Demon's souls and RDR2 are my top three best looking games of the gen, no doubt.

Last edited:

Melfice7

Technically its far from it but its a very pleasing game to look at.

Anyone who likes feudal Japan and still havent played, just do it

bender

What time is it?
The world is beautiful but doesn't have the complexity of other open world games. Character models and animations also hold it back.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
GoT looks good in some areas and mediocre in others. RdR2, Tlou2 and even Final Fantasy XV (PC) look better. Won’t lie after upgrading my PC I have an entirely new appreciation for FFXV and RdR2. From a purely console game status I think HZD (yes the world and vegetation is pretty static) TloU2 or Death Stranding takes the title.

PuffyCan

I love this game, but best looking game of the generation? no way.. It might look really good in some screenshots, but in motions it's a lot less impressive.

The art direction is solid, the gameplay is really good (hey ubisoft, this is the the AC: japan we wanted), but a lot of times I was not impressed with the graphics, folliage having a seizure does not make it look real. (It's not the only game guilty of bad wind physics)

Top Bottom