• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima overtakes Hades in second-most GOTY awards for last year (2020)

Which one is your GOTY?

• Total voters

Bo_Hazem

Banned
GoT recieved 65 GOTY awards, beating Hades' 64 awards.

Ps4 Samurai GIF by PlayStation

Galloping On My Way GIF by PlayStation

200.gif

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Is Hades any good? I've barely heard of it. What kind of game is it?

elliot5

GoT was alright. Unique presentation, the sword combat felt good and the main story was solid. I get burnt out on open world games quickly though and didn't love it. Personally liked InFamous' gameplay and traversal more.

Hades is dope though, hope it comes to the other consoles soon so more people can play it. Supergiant are very talented.

elliot5

Is Hades any good? I've barely heard of it. What kind of game is it?
Isometric rouge-like with a very well woven story and well made characters. You choose a weapon, run through levels and pick your upgrades along the way, get resources to upgrade your character permanently to go back in to more runs more equipped. The whole thing is you're trying to get out of Hades. It's very good.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Isometric rouge-like with a very well woven story and well made characters. You choose a weapon, run through levels and pick your upgrades along the way, get resources to upgrade your character permanently to go back in to more runs more equipped. The whole thing is you're trying to get out of Hades. It's very good.
Honestly, after 25 years of reading video game magazines and being on gaming forums, I have no clue what a rogue like is. It kinda sounds like you're describing the first Diablo, is it something like that?

Mozzarella

If we count the useless no value awards then sure, since most of them appeal to bigger cinematic casual games, but most GOTYs from established magazines/websites then Hades is still ahead of Ghost of Tsuchima. I mean just go take a look at some of the outlets that gives GOTY to TLOU2, some of them are links to a youtube video or instagram page or some website in Uganda or Panama, like WTF these awards hold the same value as known established game magazines like Edge, IGN, Gamespot? I dont think so and i think GOTYs dont necessarily mean best game of the year anyway, but it has to be said that not all outlets are equal in value, otherwise me and my hommies can make one and hand over some awards :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I voted for Hades, out of these 3 games its my favorite, but i think my GOTY of 2020 would be Half Life Alyx. I liked 2019 a lot more tbh. 2020 wasn't that good.

elliot5

Honestly, after 25 years of reading video game magazines and being on gaming forums, I have no clue what a rogue like is. It kinda sounds like you're describing the first Diablo, is it something like that?
It's like Returnal if you've seen that game recently. Procedurally generated hand-crafted 'dungeons' where you're expected to die a lot and get better at the game until you beat the final boss. It plays kind of like diablo, but not really. Very frantic action and combat and rapid fire action like Diablo, but not AS crazy with the skill tree combo stuff. No loot either, you just upgrade your equipment through the 'run' and then it goes away when you start again.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If we count the useless no value awards then sure, since most of them appeal to bigger cinematic casual games, but most GOTYs from established magazines/websites then Hades is still ahead of Ghost of Tsuchima. I mean just go take a look at some of the outlets that gives GOTY to TLOU2, some of them are links to a youtube video or instagram page or some website in Uganda or Panama, like WTF these awards hold the same value as known established game magazines like Edge, IGN, Gamespot? I dont think so and i think GOTYs dont necessarily mean best game of the year anyway, but it has to be said that not all outlets are equal in value, otherwise me and my hommies can make one and hand over some awards :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I voted for Hades, out of these 3 games its my favorite, but i think my GOTY of 2020 would be Half Life Alyx. I liked 2019 a lot more tbh. 2020 wasn't that good.

Or you need to just have your own opinion? It's ok to like different games. To me, Hades was good in 1990's standards.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I enjoy TLOU2 more, world design is very detailed, amazing visuals and animation, every location and environment wows me.

Ghost of Tsushima on the otherhand, is beautiful as well, but its a bit to repetitive for me, i think i spend more time looking at the environment than playing the game, theres not a lot of variety in world design, gameplay is ok and side quest is repetitive, most NPC were forgettable.

I give tlou2 a 9 and ghost probably 8.5.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Well deserved. I enjoyed it more than TLOU Part 2. Both were excellent though.

I liked Hades as well, but its not even top 3. 13th Sentinel should be up there.
Oh I keep forgetting about that. I need to play it because I've heard so many good things about it. It's just not my type of game (gameplay wise), so I'm waiting for a big sale.

Out of that list, probably TLOU2. Final Fantasy VII Remake is my personal GOTY with Ori and the Will of the Wisps probably #2.

Hades was good, but not top 5 good.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Since it’s a Switch console exclusive I’ll have to assume that crowd over hyped it like they do to everything they get first.

Didn't know that, I actually thought it was an Xbox/PC game? Strange.

I think it's a good game, but it's just an outdated game design that critics seem to overlook.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Out of that list, probably TLOU2. Final Fantasy VII Remake is my personal GOTY with Ori and the Will of the Wisps probably #2.

Hades was good, but not top 5 good.

I think those really were really competing for the 1st spot, more like GOT and TLOU2 actually. Should add the whole nominees?

EDIT: Added the whole 6 nominees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom