• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima overtakes Hades in second-most GOTY awards for last year (2020)

Which one is your GOTY?

• Total voters

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its not in the poll but my favourite game in 2020 without a doubt is...
bIsL7LdWIVw9V46oHJ0PIwZv.png

Unfortunately awards shows is always been about popularity contest and 13 Sentinels is not popular enough to win.

Last edited:
GoT is my 2020 game of the year. Totally liked the combat system too even without a lock-on feature. It caused me to hate Witcher 3's clunky swordplay, lol 😁

Seeing it at 60 fps on my PS5 is a great bonus.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Anyone else find this a little fishy?

83 Metascore with relatively few perfect scores.

Death Stranding had an even lower Metacritic but 20 percent of it's reviews were perfect scores.

How deep does this conspiracy go?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Even I'm only one here voting for this game.
t4D6cSh.gif

Hey, everybody shat on MA: Andromeda, and it's one of my best games last gen. In the end, you play what you love.

Death Stranding had an even lower Metacritic but 20 percent of it's reviews were perfect scores.

episode 8 child GIF

Last edited:

NewYork214

Haven't played all of these games so hard to say but my personal GOTY was definitely ghost. The game was amazing. Got the platinum pretty quick so burned my self out on it. Finally getting the urge to jump back in on Ps5 and enjoy 60fps 😁😁😁. Excited

GymWolf

For me it was between hades, tlou2 and cyberpunk pc who runs miles better than the console version, with slight advantage for tlou2 just because of the combat and animations.

Tsushima was a 7-8 at best for me.

daclynk

Didn't know that, I actually thought it was an Xbox/PC game? Strange.

I think it's a good game, but it's just an outdated game design that critics seem to overlook.
So much salty people in here. if u have to wait 6 months for GOTY awards counts. its sad. It won developers Game of the Year at GDC that's all i care about. it shows you dont need to have triple A budget to be an awesome game.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
yeah, what an end to a console generation.

I really don't see why should everything be a contest, sometimes it's just too difficult to rank things you really like since you just like them for different reasons.

Ghost of Tsushima is my most played game on Playstation according to PS5 hourly stats, mainly thanks to the amazing Legends that I managed to 100% and still can't believe it. Easily my favorite non-Rockstar open world ever.
Great combat, great campaign with an absolutely unforgettable, simply perfect ending.

But TLOU2 is just something else, it's a masterpiece of the medium and the best 3rd person action-adventure game ever made IMO. While I have some issues with the story (different than most people btw, having played it relatively unspoiled, but that's a dead horse I'm not gonna beat) - it just delivers on all fronts I value the most in gaming on such a level, it's the technical benchmark of excellence and attention to detail and it just blew my mind.

Sony wins either way.

I haven't played Hades yet.

If we count the useless no value awards then sure, since most of them appeal to bigger cinematic casual games, but most GOTYs from established magazines/websites then Hades is still ahead of Ghost of Tsuchima. I mean just go take a look at some of the outlets that gives GOTY to TLOU2, some of them are links to a youtube video or instagram page or some website in Uganda or Panama, like WTF these awards hold the same value as known established game magazines like Edge, IGN, Gamespot? I dont think so and i think GOTYs dont necessarily mean best game of the year anyway, but it has to be said that not all outlets are equal in value, otherwise me and my hommies can make one and hand over some awards :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I voted for Hades, out of these 3 games its my favorite, but i think my GOTY of 2020 would be Half Life Alyx. I liked 2019 a lot more tbh. 2020 wasn't that good.
Hades and Alyx are definitely my GOTY. I don't care what x,y,z publication got paid or what deals have been made. Alyx was the only next gen in my opinion. Nothing comes close to it's complexity and detail.

G-Bus

Banned
Yea Ghosts easily my GoTY. Not only was the single player just a great experience, the multiplayer really surprised me and was damn good as well.

Didn't care for the Infamous series at all but Ghosts got me to take notice and get excited for future games from them.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I really wanted to like GOT, but it got super boring and repetitive. It felt like a reskin of HZD, and I had just played that game a few months earlier.

Made it to 2/3 on the second island before calling it quits.

My vote goes to Alyx. It's VRs Mario 64 moment.

Last edited:

Vognerful

Hades still for me GOTY. The fact it always competes with TLOU2 and GoT for that spot everywhere speaks volumes of its achievement.
Didn't know that, I actually thought it was an Xbox/PC game? Strange.

I think it's a good game, but it's just an outdated game design that critics seem to overlook.
IT is a PC game first. The switch port came later.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Infiltrating a camp was the exact same thing as bandit camps in HZD (which was my favorite part). The rest of the game is a samey open world to any other game really.
So it had infiltration plus it was open world and thus same… cannot say I agree and you are massively undervalue the how things are made and not just what the label is IMHO.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So it had infiltration plus it was open world and thus same… cannot say I agree and you are massively undervalue the how things are made and not just what the label is IMHO.

Halo shoots at people and you clear areas, Forza you race people only. Tekken you only fight 1vs1 in a small map. It's easy to make anything sound like crap when you have too much salt inside your bloodstream.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is it a VN? Based on all the recommendations in here I think I'll check it out.

I guess what I'm asking is, play it, or watch a playthrough on youtube?
Its divided between tower defence gameplay and VN section.
Destruction-first-can-open-up-Analysis-faster-in-13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim.jpg

In opinion you get in to story more when you actually play it rather than watching on youtube, especially the fact that the game is not chronically in order , after the prologue you can choose the order character you play as.
13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim-After-Clearing.jpg

Last edited:

Sushen

While it's rough around edges and it's no GoW, I love the style. I was surprised that it gave me motion sickness despite of 3rd person view camera.

I overcame the motion sickness by trying not to look at the main character and look further away. I figured it has to do with narrow FOV.

Guilty_AI

Just usual media shenanigans. With gaming having becoming mainstream, its natural for the public at large to care less about games and more about the showbiz surrounding it. Thus stuff with loads of marketing and muh-realistic cinematic graphics will always come out on top.

I'm kinda surprised Hades made that far even though it isn't some wannabe hollywood bullshit, nor has the backing of a large company.

BTW, where's Genshin Impact?

Last edited:

RGB'D

Was I the only one that thought Ghost of Tsushima was overrated? I really liked it at first. But by the time I got to the second area, I was done. It's literally follow the footprints to fight bad guys the game. Some of the camp liberation were cool, and the combat was fun for a while but pretty easy. Maybe the story just didn't resonate that much with me like it did for some 🤷‍♂️. My vote is for Alyx although I adore Hades.

Guilty_AI

Was I the only one that thought Ghost of Tsushima was overrated? I really liked it at first. But by the time I got to the second area, I was done. It's literally follow the footprints to fight bad guys the game. Some of the camp liberation were cool, and the combat was fun for a while but pretty easy. Maybe the story just didn't resonate that much with me like it did for some 🤷‍♂️. My vote is for Alyx although I adore Hades.
Every sony high profile game is overrated. If not by the journos, by playstation fans.

If I still only had a PS4 I wouldn’t put it anywhere near my top 10 as there are whole sections that run nowhere near 30fps and normally the bits where you are actually doing something that needs timing. I could tell it was a good game underneath the performance but I abandoned it after a few hours.

On PS5 though at 60fps it’s fantastic. Legends is really good too and they could have charged for it tbh.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Every sony high profile game is overrated. If not by the journos, by playstation fans.

Every high profile game doesn't receive high praise from gamers and journalist.

People who shout that a game is "overrated" are basically saying, "This game doesn't deserve praise and they should agree with my opinion on what this game truly is". I don't like Zelda BotW or Witcher 3... That would be dumb for me to say those games are overrated just because I don't like it.

Guilty_AI

Every high profile game doesn't receive high praise from gamers and journalist.

People who shout that a game is "overrated" are basically saying, "This game doesn't deserve praise and they should agree with my opinion on what this game truly is". I don't like Zelda BotW or Witcher 3... That would be dumb for me to say those games are overrated just because I don't like it.
Nah, witcher 3 is definitely overrated too. There is heavy objective criticism that can be made towards it, from broken game systems and poor quest design to some weird nonsensical gameplay decisions.

Of course, you can like bad games, or poorly designed games, or generic games. You can like anything. But bad, poorly designed and generic is what they are at the end of the day. Even if i enjoyed games like EYE Divine Cybermancy or Mad Max, i don't unironically hold them as some gaming benchmarks.

Last edited:

Loope

I mean, what are the xbox games to put there except recently Doom after the acquisition and Ori? You only need to blame Phil Spencer and ask him to do better.
I mean, MS isn't the only competitor of Sony. Why did you immediately thought of Xbox? Did Hades even released on it? That year, maybe PC had stronger contenders like Hades and Half Life. I personally voted for Ori because it was the only one i played from that list.

Hestar69

TLOU 2 for me maybe even best game of last gen. Is ghost that good? I own it but have only played the co-op mode with a friend (and it was fun)

Hades......I love supergiant..but dying and having to run through the whole game again...Man I can't get into it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nah, witcher 3 is definitely overrated too. There is heavy objective criticism that can be made towards it, from broken game systems and poor quest design to some weird nonsensical gameplay decisions.

Of course, you can like bad games, or poorly designed games, or generic games. You can like anything. But bad, poorly designed and generic is what they are at the end of the day. Even if i enjoyed games like EYE Divine Cybermancy or Mad Max, i don't unironically hold them as some gaming benchmarks.
It's bad based on your own opinion.

Your opinion is not a fact. You can say want, it still doesn't change the fact that it's not an opinion shared by everyone.

Top Bottom