• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima sold 1m in Japan

I don't think Famitsu is unreliable, but they don't seem to provide updated numbers once a game falls of the charts? Essentially they don't publish the sales numbers further down the line.

Point being, without Jim Ryan revealing, many would have thought the game sold sub 500k in Japan. Really Famitsu themselves should have provided updated numbers at certain milestones. Lets say every additional 100k so we have a better of how much a game sold.

It doesn't capture digital sales which lends itself to overstate software sales of the switch which tend to be physical more than the PS5 which tend to be digital.

When a game falls of the charts in famitsu, it's overall number isn't going to materially change. You're talking about 10s of thousands at best.

Famitsu not covering digital makes it useless for software, especially if you look at a game like FF16 that back in the day would probably havel ines to purchase day 1, but can just be purchased digitally now in the comfort of your own home. Moreso that you have to install it even if you buy the disc.

Woopah

Keep in mind he didn't take into account the PS5 version rather the came up with a ridiculous statement that the game sold 1K copies a week with physical sales instead... So yes, his thought process is absurd.

Also that's not the total I'm getting from your source.
I was able to get updated numbers from the Media Create White book for 2022. ( Go_Ly_Dow Go_Ly_Dow , Famitsu gives us the top 100 games every year and Media Create gives up the top 1,000 games each year, so we get a lot of data.)

Media Create data shows GoT sold 212,915 first week, and another 260,697 in the rest of 2020.

In 2021 the PS4 version (including the Director's Cut) sold 53,900, so around 1,036 a week on average.

Selling 52,000 while being off the charts is quite unusual, but itcan happen for some of the bigger games.

It doesn't capture digital sales which lends itself to overstate software sales of the switch which tend to be physical more than the PS5 which tend to be digital.

When a game falls of the charts in famitsu, it's overall number isn't going to materially change. You're talking about 10s of thousands at best.

Famitsu not covering digital makes it useless for software, especially if you look at a game like FF16 that back in the day would probably havel ines to purchase day 1, but can just be purchased digitally now in the comfort of your own home. Moreso that you have to install it even if you buy the disc.
We don't need to overstate or understate Switch software sales in Japan, since Nintendo publishes that data (excluding digital only games).

Physical data is still very helpful, as long as its put into context that a sizeable portion of sales need to added on.

Last edited:
I was able to get updated numbers from the Media Create White book for 2022. ( Go_Ly_Dow Go_Ly_Dow , Famitsu gives us the top 100 games every year and Media Create gives up the top 1,000 games each year, so we get a lot of data.)

Media Create data shows GoT sold 212,915 first week, and another 260,697 in the rest of 2020.

In 2021 the PS4 version (including the Director's Cut) sold 53,900, so around 1,036 a week on average.

Selling 52,000 while being off the charts is quite unusual, but itcan happen for some of the bigger games.

We don't need to overstate or understate Switch software sales in Japan, since Nintendo publishes that data (excluding digital only games).

My point wasn't about Switch sales, but rather that if you only look at Famitsu you're not getting a clear picture.

Regardless of the final tally for physical for GoT across PS4/PS5, half the sales were digital. That trend is only going to go in one direction for PlayStation 5, especially with the digital sku being available.

Killer8

JzjUXTQ.png

Woopah

My point wasn't about Switch sales, but rather that if you only look at Famitsu you're not getting a clear picture.

Regardless of the final tally for physical for GoT across PS4/PS5, half the sales were digital. That trend is only going to go in one direction for PlayStation 5, especially with the digital sku being available.
Yes its a mistake to take physical sales as total sales. You need to add on around 25%-50% extra to get the real numbers, depending on the game and situation. Ghosts being at around 40% digital fits that model.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Keep in mind he didn't take into account the PS5 version rather the came up with a ridiculous statement that the game sold 1K copies a week with physical sales instead... So yes, his thought process is absurd.

Also that's not the total I'm getting from your source.
So after not reading through the whole thread, and already jumping to the conclusion that my ASSUMPTION was incorrect, ridiculous, or any other colourful word you might want to use here, you were proven wrong and I was right, but even then according to you I was still wrong because of my... thought process? The one that ended up being a good estimation of the total physical sales? lol

And if the 593k number Woopah provided is indeed the physical sales number that Tsushima got(By the end of 2022, there almost 5 months unaccounted there), then the digital split would be even lower, at 40% instead of being closer to 50%.

Go... relax a bit. My first post in the thread was me praising the game's sales in Japan. I don't hate Sony, nor I ever will while they put out good games.

Nautilus

Banned
I don't think Famitsu is unreliable, but they don't seem to provide updated numbers once a game falls of the charts? Essentially they don't publish the sales numbers further down the line.

Point being, without Jim Ryan revealing, many would have thought the game sold sub 500k in Japan. Really Famitsu themselves should have provided updated numbers at certain milestones. Lets say every additional 100k so we have a better of how much a game sold.
If the game pops up in the top 30 again, it is indeed informed again.

And I think every couple of years the CESA white papers comes out, showing how much each game sold. Though I'm not sure it the numbers down by region.

Famitsu is the best source we have for these kind of things as of now.

Nautilus

Banned
Yes its a mistake to take physical sales as total sales. You need to add on around 25%-50% extra to get the real numbers, depending on the game and situation. Ghosts being at around 40% digital fits that model.
Which is why we always assume as much in the weekly thread.

By the same token, if a game doesn't appear in the physical charts, its not like the digital sales will multiply the gam's overall sales by x10. That's where the argument comes about PS5 software sales in Japan being straight out weak.

Puscifer

Considering the setting, it does feel low. I expected an AAA game set in Japan and released on the PS4 to do more.

Taking nothing away from GoT as a very successful new IP, of course.
The question you should ask yourself is how on Earth did Sony's Japanese studios manage to not release this game. I have zero doubt in my mind that if didn't play a part in them finally deciding to close the studio.

MrA

Banned
I laughed although I can't recall seeing anyone say that. At least on GAF anyway 👀
Here? Never ,well except laughing at some dumb kotaku or way point article about how the Asian American community was consulted about the game, which was them being stupid and treating all Asians in America as a monolithic block and implying Americans have to with a game set in feudal Japan for some reason

Woopah

The question you should ask yourself is how on Earth did Sony's Japanese studios manage to not release this game. I have zero doubt in my mind that if didn't play a part in them finally deciding to close the studio.
I doubt any of Sony's Japan studios had the budget that Ghost had apart from Polyphony Digital.

zedinen

Sorry, just saw your ridiculous commentary above.

Where are you getting 1K a week off the charts? Why would a game have such strong legs but would NEVER chart? Not even during boosts of people buying hardware. What's more stunning is that this 1K years later is going to be physical like there are just tens of thousands of copies of ghost of tsushima lining storefronts for years...

This guy has his whole world shattered by the fact that famitsu doesn't capture digital and unlike the Switch, Japanese consumers are probably buying more games in digital.

It just doesn't jive with your narrative that the PlayStation is dead in Japan.

You have to make a STRONG and absurd assumption about Ghost selling 1K copies a week for three years without EVER charting in order to even get to half your market sales.

Their worldview is crumbling

1.Japanese publishers depend on digital sales in Europe and North America (PSN/Steam)

Capcom (TOT 41.7 M) --- 80.3% Overseas / 89.4% Digital

Square-Enix (TOT 22.44 M) --- 76.3% Overseas / 70.6% Digital

Koei Tecmo (TOT 9.64 M) --- 69.4% Overseas / 67.0% Digital

Sega Sammy (TOT 27.89 M) --- 91.1% Overseas

Bandai Namco (TOT 48.29 M) --- 79.2% Overseas

TOT (149.96 M) / Overseas 80.7%

2.Physical software (193,439) acounts for 8.9% of PlayStation software and services sales (2,181,160)

G&NS

3.The most popular japanese games are still skipping their favorite console

1 2 3 4

4. PlayStation is breaking records in China and growing in Japan

4feRI5c.jpg

Woopah

Their worldview is crumbling

1.Japanese publishers depend on digital sales in Europe and North America (PSN/Steam)

Capcom (TOT 41.7 M) --- 80.3% Overseas / 89.4% Digital

Square-Enix (TOT 22.44 M) --- 76.3% Overseas / 70.6% Digital

Koei Tecmo (TOT 9.64 M) --- 69.4% Overseas / 67.0% Digital

Sega Sammy (TOT 27.89 M) --- 91.1% Overseas

Bandai Namco (TOT 48.29 M) --- 79.2% Overseas

TOT (149.96 M) / Overseas 80.7%

2.Physical software (193,439) acounts for 8.9% of PlayStation software and services sales (2,181,160)

G&NS

3.The most popular japanese games are still skipping their favorite console

1 2 3 4

4. PlayStation is breaking records in China and growing in Japan

4feRI5c.jpg
How would their worldview be crumbling from their Ghost of Tsushima calculation being pretty accurate?

Woopah

Because it was being done by an American studio. There was even little bit of controversy before or around launch i think.
As long as its properly marketed and translated I don't think it matters too much. Minecraft, GTA and Call of Duty have all been big in Japan at one time or another.

FrankWza

As long as its properly marketed and translated I don't think it matters too much. Minecraft, GTA and Call of Duty have all been big in Japan at one time or another.
I agree but I'm pretty sure there was some controversy or at least an attempt to make it controversial. And it's in reference to an American studio making a game about their history vs a game like GTA or CoD. Not sure if that was clear

Last edited:

Woopah

I agree but I'm pretty sure there was some controversy or at least an attempt to make it controversial. And it's in reference to an American studio making a game about their history vs a game like GTA or CoD. Not sure if that was clear
Oh yes, there definitely was some controversy about it online. But that sort of thing doesn't really impact sales.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Controversy likely was started in the west by holier then though warriors.

Top Bottom