• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is retiring March 2024

DeaDPo0L84

I can not for the life of me figure out why they need to love a executive.
It's the same issue with politics. People vote for who they feel they could have a cup of coffee or binge watch the latest Netflix show with. I personally do not care one bit if I like someone in a power position on a personal level, just make good decisions that impact my life in a positive way and you're good in my book.

Zok310

Banned
I hope it is not Eric. I do not like how Sony marketing has performed overall this generation -- apart from a few truly genius strokes in between.
I dont like current marketing either but i have to admit, its working what they are doing, cant lie about that.
Eric i do like tho, he seems like a genuinely good person and is not camera shy like Jim Ryan was.

nial

Gold Member
Man, Shawn didn't do jackshit.
  • He didn't acquire any studio,
  • Didn't expand internal teams,
  • Couldn't fix Japan Studios,
  • Couldn't help ND retain 2 teams and make it work,
  • Couldn't acquire Insomniac,
  • Couldn't start any notable multiplayer project,
  • Let multiple IPs die down into oblivion,
  • Let go of Team Ico
  • Closed down Evolution Studios
  • Let go of Stig and his team and deprived us of Internal 7
  • Almost shut down Sony Santa Monica
It's like we're all living with short-term memory loss, coupled with nostalgia.

He wasn't good at his job. Jim Ryan was 10x better than him.
I'm not much of a fan of Shawn Layden, but some of your points are really unfair, IMO. I mean, what does he have to do with Ueda and his team leaving Sony if he was a vice president of SNEI back then? Same thing with Evolution Studios, lol.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm not much of a fan of Shawn Layden, but some of your points are really unfair, IMO. I mean, what does he have to do with Ueda and his team leaving Sony if he was a vice president of SNEI back then? Same thing with Evolution Studios, lol.
Was he not the Chairman of Worldwide studios when Evolution was closed? If not, I stand corrected.

fcjPD23.jpg

May Crying Jim finish all the FromSoft games no damage run with the Holy grip.

Luigi Mario

Was he not the Chairman of Worldwide studios when Evolution was closed? If not, I stand corrected.
Not at the time when Evolution Studios was shut down in 2016. Layden was CEO of Worldwide Studios only for a year before he unceremoniously left in 2019.
The person responsible for some of the things on your list is Shuhei Yoshida, who was President of Worldwide Studios from 2008 to 2019.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Man, Shawn didn't do jackshit.
  • He didn't acquire any studio,
  • Didn't expand internal teams,
  • Couldn't fix Japan Studios,
  • Couldn't help ND retain 2 teams and make it work,
  • Couldn't acquire Insomniac,
  • Couldn't start any notable multiplayer project,
  • Let multiple IPs die down into oblivion,
  • Let go of Team Ico
  • Closed down Evolution Studios
  • Let go of Stig and his team and deprived us of Internal 7
  • Almost shut down Sony Santa Monica
It's like we're all living with short-term memory loss, coupled with nostalgia.

He wasn't good at his job. Jim Ryan was 10x better than him.
I think fans prefer a CEO that say bullshit all the time and pose as a nice guy than someone that execute things. Jim Ryan was someone to make things happen no talk shit, but in our current world people prefer talk shit and nothing concrete.

Sanepar

New CEO can bring fresh ideas, so I'm looking forward to it. I just hope the next guy is even better than Jim.

Most importantly, I want Ted Price to have a bigger role in PlayStation Studios. Sony is wasting that guy.
Or can destroy the future. any bad decision would risk PS future.

I would prefer Sony to stay on a traditional view, bring back Showcases and good communication, put the spot back on SP games. Go back to what works, focus to buy more studios for SP games.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Considering the layoffs at Bungie, delays in GAAS games, lackluster interest in PSVR2, and the potential failure of PS Portal, I've begun to wonder if he was involuntarily retired.

Top Bottom