• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is retiring March 2024

fart town usa

Gold Member
Something is off with the games, though.

They're amazing on a technical level, but they lack depth and energy.

Every Sony has the same vibe lately and that vibe is not positive:

- The highbrow storytelling gets old pretty fast
- It requires high level of mental investment due to complex story structures
- The gameplay mechanics are superficial, easy to learn and easy to master
- Everything is slow-paced with too much focus on cutscenes
- Replayability is often zero
- Everything is so goddamn serious

Exception: Insomniac. They're amazing.

I wish Sony would get more crazy. Like Ready Player One crazy.
Well said.

Topher

Gold Member
Thing I like most about Shu is his attitude towards games in general. Probably not the most business centric attitude, but his focus always seemed to be on delivering content even if it wasn't always profitable.

This is the quote that stuck with me:

"It's a hit-driven business. We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles. So we have to be able to maintain that hit ratio at a certain level to be able to continue in the business, so we always try to find out and support and help grow the talent. That's the most important work that I believe myself and some of my management team at worldwide studios are doing."

This is the attitude that I think allowed Japan Studio to exist and make those great games like Gravity Rush and The Last Guardian that probably were among the games that didn't make money, but added to the overall culture of PlayStation. Probably also the attitude that keeps him from getting the job, sadly.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've got bad news if you think a new CEO spells the end of GAAS.
Board of directors, and majority investors exist.
These people are not gamers, they are here to build capital/ secure their investments. They prefer stock quotes over steam reviews
Exactly. It's naive to think the next CEO will suddenly cancel all GaaS games lol.

Besides, GaaS isn't inherently bad. GT7 is a GaaS game, and it is fantastic.

Eh....don't care about the guy being "cool" or not, personally. Often times, being "cool" comes at the expense of being genuine.

Can't be more genuine than me

Poor people? Find another console

PC ports? Suck it

Don't like the prices? Get a second job

Want less cinematic AAA games? Go to the toilet where your taste belongs

Love media molecule? You can see them at the job center.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Guess Returnal doesn't exist huh

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What a weird take from my statement. I genuinely dont care about any CEO, anywhere in any industry. They all come across as cunts to me. I'd be equally happy just having a faceless PlayStation management team. Jim had the charisma of a paper clip, with the one redeeming plus, that he spoke less than Phil.
Well I obviously don't really know what you think and can't read your mind, so I'm clearly going for a hot take here a bit. But I sincerely do think a whole lot of people are underselling the value of management that understands the customer. I have never seen a single comment from people saying it's fake or lame that Shu enjoys playing FROM games now and can talk about it with people. I literally can't see any downside to having more knowledge about gaming. It's an asset in community development, marketing, management and decision making, content creation and content approval.

Thing I like most about Shu is his attitude towards games in general. Probably not the most business centric attitude, but his focus always seemed to be on delivering content even if it wasn't always profitable.

This is the quote that stuck with me:

"It's a hit-driven business. We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles. So we have to be able to maintain that hit ratio at a certain level to be able to continue in the business, so we always try to find out and support and help grow the talent. That's the most important work that I believe myself and some of my management team at worldwide studios are doing."

This is the attitude that I think allowed Japan Studio to exist and make those great games like Gravity Rush and The Last Guardian that probably were among the games that didn't make money, but added to the overall culture of PlayStation. Probably also the attitude that keeps him from getting the job, sadly.
Exactly what I was trying to get at with my comment about AA games. You can only even have that perspective if you understand the value of some lesser known games. And you can only understand that if you understand something about gaming generally and combine that with your business and management duties.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not sure if this one was already posted, but I'm leaving it here nonetheless.

I mean, the gag account isn't "wrong." There are PSVR2 games released almost weekly, and my backlog can't keep up. I don't need Sony to hold my hand any more than they're needed on the PC for VR. The third parties and indies are doing a great job.

This gag account tried.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Exactly. It's naive to think the next CEO will suddenly cancel all GaaS games lol.

Besides, GaaS isn't inherently bad. GT7 is a GaaS game, and it is fantastic.
Yeah I kind of agree. But not sure GT7 is the best example - its monetisation bits were a tad whiffy at launch. Great game though, but at times it did feel inspite of rather than because of, if you get what i mean. AC Valhalla was a GaaS, but loved it. So maybe, we'll see.

Well I obviously don't really know what you think and can't read your mind, so I'm clearly going for a hot take here a bit. But I sincerely do think a whole lot of people are underselling the value of management that understands the customer. I have never seen a single comment from people saying it's fake or lame that Shu enjoys playing FROM games now and can talk about it with people. I literally can't see any downside to having more knowledge about gaming. It's an asset in community development, marketing, management and decision making, content creation and content approval.
Fair enough. I cant disagree - who wouldn't want a management team who totally gets their customer. But for me, rather than having a specific President or CEO. I'd be happy having a great management team, who are collectively simply great at delivering. Most of these singular CEO's never endear me to the brand. They often do the opposite.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah I kind of agree. But not sure GT7 is the best example - its monetisation bits were a tad whiffy at launch. Great game though, but at times it did feel inspite of rather than because of, if you get what i mean. AC Valhalla was a GaaS, but loved it. So maybe, we'll see.

AC Valhalla was Gaas?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Love media molecule? You can see them at the job center.
dead fuck my life GIF

Topher

Gold Member
It kind of was to me. It was continually supported for ages with constant new live content being added. It felt like a hybrid GaaS, it was certainly capturing elements of GaaS.

Hmm, didn't realize that. Looked it up and seems they did all that "seasonal" stuff as well, but remains strictly single player. So yeah, hybrid Gaas does seem to work there.

Singleplayer GaaS if you believe in that kind of concept (i don't)

Right. Typically it is games like Marvel Avengers that tries to add on content after launch and push multiplayer or coop. Crap like that I just can't stand. Pretty much modern day excuse for launching an incomplete game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Funny, Kaz was CEO with the PS3 and became the CEO of Sony for his work at Playstation.
Jim just retired.

King Dazzar

Right. Typically it is games like Marvel Avengers that tries to add on content after launch and push multiplayer or coop. Crap like that I just can't stand. Pretty much modern day excuse for launching an incomplete game.
Yeah I'm 100% with you on that. In my example I was just trying to choose something positive. The problem for me is, it usually infects the game design. Lets see how Sony does with it.

King Dazzar

Don't worry, Jim. I'll take it from here.

First order of business: New Motorstorm.
Next order of business: Neo Japan Studio.

Also: Force Bungie to make Marathon a singleplayer game with that extraction shit as an added multiplayer mode.
Love all of that, but after Motorstorm. I'd also like a new Resistance or Killzone. And if they could do something consumer friendly like offer digital refunds similar to steam, that'd be excellent.
Shaun The Sheep Movie Ok GIF

Felessan

This retirement announcement just solidifies my suspicions that dude wanted to bring revenue as high as possible on the short term to retire with a fat bonus. You see it happen all the time.
Why do you think it's short term?
It's the same as thinking gaas will die out. Business wise Jim decisions are concise and focused on long term trends/profit. They maybe not liked very much by old-school traditional players, but if you look 10 years into future, where current young age hooked to mobile f2p stuff will become adult, it make perfect sense to properly position youself
Gaas only getting bigger and richier and more technologically advanced.
You may not like games like Genshin, but they earns billion a year and have ten of millions playerbase. And bringing them to playstation, some even on console exclusive basis means a lot more money for Sony overall and more money to fund single-player AAA games.

Topher

Gold Member
I dunno, I was a console only gamer for 20 years. Decided to build my first PC for games. I don't think I'm ever going back to consoles as a main source. But that's just me

Sure....I get that. I'm just speaking generally. I think most console gamers want the simple plug-and-play experience in their living room. The also don't want to invest a lot in hardware or build a PC. I think we can point to a set of characteristics that appeal to gamers who game on console and that's why they game on console. The games being on another platform isn't going to change any of those characteristics and suddenly make a bunch of people want a PC in their living room.

All that to say I don't believe PS games on PC day one will have a dramatic impact on PS console numbers. The vast majority of console gamers will remain console gamers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think Jim Ryan would have been a successful CEO in any business, which is a compliment to him, but part of the problem on a forum like this. Like if he was made CEO of Dyson he would sell a lot of vacuums. If he was the CEO of Raytheon he would make sure the USA gets in as many wars as possible. He's not a gamer, and it shows. He cares about profitability, stability, long-term growth, and making the business climate favorable for his company. These are all good things for a CEO to have. The way he went about it in a way seemed cold and ruthless to gamers like us here, but it makes sense as a person trying to run a massive company in a tough business with a rapacious, monopolistic competitor sniffing around.

Last edited:
Sure....I get that. I'm just speaking generally. I think most console gamers want the simple plug-and-play experience in their living room. The also don't want to invest a lot in hardware or build a PC. I think we can point to a set of characteristics that appeal to gamers who game on console and that's why they game on console. The games being on another platform isn't going to change any of those characteristics and suddenly make a bunch of people want a PC in their living room.

All that to say I don't believe PS games on PC day one will have a dramatic impact on PS console numbers. The vast majority of console gamers will remain console gamers.

My ponies need to feel special and I'm going to make them feel special

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Sure. I used to think that way. I remember even when this current gen of consoles were announced...I was blind enough to say PC and Consoles would be on parity in games. I was trying to prove to myself I didn't need a PC. This was 2018 or so. I was laughed at, rightly so as it turns out, because I wanted to start streaming and doing content creation of some sort. Decided that year, instead of buying an OLED I would teach myself how to build a PC. I wasn't really ready for the difference. The sheer amount of games available to me from past and present just blew my mind. Framerate, versitility of the machine I just built...Just unmatched.

I think you're right about PS games day one on PC. I been holding off for a grip on buying a PS5, though if I didn't have a PC I would have one by now. Would have bought the Pro version as well. But for people who are already in the PC space, I believe most would prefer the games to come to PC so they don't have to shell out more money for another platform. We can't seem to reconcile using too many launchers, let alone a whole other platform.

Yeah...this happened to me many times while playing Gran Turismo 7, Returnal, Demon's Souls, Sackboy, etc...

Top Bottom