• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan is retiring March 2024

Bring Back Kaz.
kaz-hirai-twitter.gif

About Jimbo. Good Bye you suck.

Now give me a new Battle Royale Socom game.

Schmendrick

One suit goes another one comes. Let's see what the Gaas strategy will lead to in the end and what the next CEO will make of it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It would be ironic if Jim was the only thing stopping Sony from going full on PC port of every first party game as quickly as possible. 😂

Sanepar

I think Jim Ryan made a good job.
Bought strategic studios, PS Games on PC.
Jim Ryan is not a clown who try to pose as a "gamer" full of lies and bullshit, he is a pro executive and was there since the start in 1994.

There next CEO will be a key for the future. They need to get the right piece on that chair because next year they will be fighting a company that is on all in strategy now.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What meltdown?

The good thing is that PS gamers care more about games instead of worshipping suits and executives.
That's why I haven't liked the way PS has been trending of late but its the games but I know that could just be on me

I don't like the growing GAAS and honestly I have not been thrilled with the recent big games from them

Maybe its just because I am getting old

hemo memo

Gold Member
I think Jim Ryan made a good job.
Bought strategic studios, PS Games on PC.
Jim Ryan is not a clown who try to pose as a "gamer" full of lies and bullshit, he is a pro executive and was there since the start in 1994.

There next CEO will be a key for the future. They need to get the right piece on that chair because next year they will be fighting a company that is on all in strategy now.
Business wise yes. Creative and future strategy wise he is the worst CEO to ever be appointed for gaming and not just Sony.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
In many ways, Jim Ryans tenure at PlayStation resembles that of Shane. He shows up, becomes a force for good, fixes the mess that Shawn Layden created but also does not have sex with Mrs. Layden, rides off without saying goodbye.

qtANo-.gif

Come back, Jim. Come back.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's why I haven't liked the way PS has been trending of late but its the games but I know that could just be on me

I don't like the growing GAAS and honestly
I don't play GaaS games. The Division 2 and GT7 are the only two GaaS games I've played for more than 30 hours (apart from Rocket League, which is just PvP MP), but I even played those as purely single-player games.

However, I do understand their reasoning -- even if those GaaS games aren't for me. If Shawn Layden started this, instead of Jim Ryan initiating this in 2020, Sony would have been in much better position today - especially in the context of losing Activision.
I have not been thrilled with the recent big games from them. Maybe its just because I am getting old
I'm the opposite in this sense. As I grew older, I've enjoyed more and more PS Studios titles. I've almost stopped playing MP games completely. It is only PS Studios story-driven action-adventure titles that have kept me in gaming after all these years.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm the opposite in this sense. As I grew older, I've enjoyed more and more PS Studios titles. I've almost stopped playing MP games completely. It is only PS Studios story-driven action-adventure titles that have kept me in gaming after all these years.
Its not so much I don't enjoy those story driven single player games its just the last couple have bored me especially the last God of War

Honestly I think thats what had me so incredibly hyped for Starfield was a new IP of something I had not played before (and can't wait for Wolverine)

I dunno its hard for me to describe but even SM2 I will play it but just not super excited about it

Topher

Gold Member
Holy shit, Jim's only in his 50s?!
The guy looks like his in his 60s doesn't he?

He is 63 per Bloomberg.

This is also something I don't understand, I've seen people saying this multiple times, but I don't see why it has to be one or the other like that.

I know plenty of people who play on consoles but not even for the exclusives, just because they prefer consoles.
My brother in law only has playstation consoles but that's just because he's used to play on playstation really, he doesn't even play the big exclusives, mostly play COD and the usual popular multiplayer games lol But he has no interest on PC.

I'm not sure why it's such a mystery for some people, why consoles would become useless if suddenly they don't have games exclusive to only them. It's about the platform too.

(edit: just to be sure, I'm agreeing with you, in case there's a confusion on why I quoted you, I was just adding to your point :messenger_grinning_sweat: )

Clearly some console gamers feel threatened by the idea for reasons. I've yet to read a concrete answer as to why it is a bad thing from a gamer perspective. As I said before, PS games on PC will not transform console gamers into PC gamers. The majority of PS gamers are not even gaming there for exclusives. They are there for the CODs, Maddens, FIFAs, Fortnite, etc etc. We see that every year in the PS best selling games.

Having said that, I've also said I get why Sony prioritizes their console business. They have loyal fans there and they don't have to share revenue with Valve or Epic. So from a business standpoint, yeah, I get why.

It’s clear as day PC fans such as yourself do not give a shit about Playstation console, so why the surprise when PS fans do not want Sony to allocate some resources to other platforms? Why do you want Sony to port games to PC so much? Cause you want to feel special because PC has everything?

What's with you? You are making this weirdly personal. If I don't have to spend $500 on another device then that is reason enough for me to want all games on one platform. It's really just that simple. Why don't you step back and try to discuss this without being personally offended by this stuff? It's just video games man.

The end was just written to mock these PC fans who always mutter about “PS fans want to feel special with their plastic box”. Like, they want their platform to grow, PS fans also want their console brand to grow, and they do not see PC push as a way to achieve that.

Nah. If I believed that PS games being on PC day one would truly damage the PS platform then I would not be in favor of it at all. But that's simply not the case, imo.

But you tell me why it is so important for PS games to not be on PC day one? How does it reduce your enjoyment of those games? But please.....stop making it personal.

Last edited:
Its not so much I don't enjoy those story driven single player games its just the last couple have bored me especially the last God of War

Honestly I think thats what had me so incredibly hyped for Starfield was a new IP of something I had not played before (and can't wait for Wolverine)

I dunno its hard for me to describe but even SM2 I will play it but just not super excited about it
You're not alone in feeling that way. The Spiderman game's bore the living shit out of me and I desperately wanted to like them. I preferred God of War Ragnarok personally. Horizon Forbidden West I enjoyed, but it eventually burnt me out.

Top Bottom