• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Online First Look (Wii U Footage, Free 2 Play PC/(Free?) Wii U Title)

antonz

TTP said:
Doesn't matter. When I'm playing a shooter I need to be focused on the action all the time. Having to look down to check the map would be terrible.
Actually from what I have heard there is all sorts of features like drones you can use for different views from whats on the tv etc.

Attempting to bring more tactical play than just run and gun

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
antonz said:
Actually from what I have heard there is all sorts of features like drones you can use for different views from whats on the tv etc.

Attempting to bring more tactical play than just run and gun

That's definitely cool. As long as the vital info is still on the main screen.

Orayn

Tom Penny said:
By the time you look down at the map your dead. What's wrong with a small map on the screen. It's only worked forever?
This wasn't just the minimap, though. The guy was controlling a flying drone that he could actually move around and use as a remote camera. The "normal" map functionality also seemed to let him pan around and look at things in more detail, so there's no reason it couldn't be used in conjunction with a basic mini-map/motion sensor.

Alternatively, you could run with that idea and put some vital pieces of gameplay on the controller's screen as a way to change the flow of things. Imagine if defusing bombs in defusing bombs, causing regenerating health to kick in, or even reloading took a brief microgame to pull off. I'm not saying those are great ideas that should be universally applied, but it's definitely a powerful tool for developers.

Effect

Bisnic said:
I don't think nothing will stop developpers from giving the Wiimote support to Wii U games.

The only question is, will they bother?

There are more then enough Wii remotes out there. Also if the demos are any indication then they might actually pack a Wii remote set in with the game. The golfing tech demo alone and the that the Mii Chase and Battle Mii games seem to need them. I don't think Nintendo is moving away from pointer controls. Just the new control seems to add to it. At least this is what I'm hoping and what it looks like at this point.

What I'm looking forward to finding out is if you can add buttons to the touch screen. If only on the edges. A reload, grenade, score list button, etc. Especially since the start and select buttons are so far down on the new controller. That would make FPS and other games easier to play if you could map certain actions right to the screen itself.

onQ123

TTP said:
I support those saddened by Nintendo apparently abandoning the whole pointing thing.
But you know what? PlayStation Move :p

;)

That said, I just can't stop thinking if I'd really be comfortable with having to look down at the controller from time to time while I'm playing on the TV screen. Hopefully implementation is sensible enough not to turn this into an annoying distraction. If you get what I mean.

but it does still have pointer controls in a way (the baseball & gun demo)

wsippel

Banned
Anerythristic said:
Oh I know, I just think its funny that as far as I know right now its Wii U/PC. We have been hearing PS3/360/PC for five years.
I believe Ghost Recon Online is F2P, and neither Sony nor MS allows F2P content. Nintendos online system might be more progressive after all.

Glix

wsippel said:
I believe Ghost Recon Online is F2P, and neither Sony nor MS allows F2P content. Nintendos online system might be more progressive after all.

Is this true? I'm almost sure this isn't true.

wsippel

Banned
Glix said:
Is this true? I'm almost sure this isn't true.
I'm not sure. I simply don't know of any F2P games on either system. Then again, I hardly follow 360 news. I think there are one or two free MMOs on PS3, but aren't those first party and Japan only?

Orayn said:
Seems like a no-brainer inclusion for most shooters.

And yet there are a mere handful of Wii FPS games that actually does wiimote aiming right. To be fair, there are only a handful of Wii FPS games. Only The Conduit did the aiming controls right though, and maybe Red Steel 2.

Cow Mengde said:
And yet there are a mere handful of Wii FPS games that actually does wiimote aiming right. To be fair, there are only a handful of Wii FPS games. Only The Conduit did the aiming controls right though, and maybe Red Steel 2.

Red Steel 2 did it right. So did MP3 (unless you're only talking about 3rd party games?)

Glix

wsippel said:
I'm not sure. I simply don't know of any F2P games on either system. Then again, I hardly follow 360 news. I think there are one or two free MMOs on PS3, but aren't those first party?

Wasn't there some kind of F2P FPS on PS3? Cartoony?

wsippel said:

Vindictus port for Wii U!!!!!

Zoramon089 said:
Red Steel 2 did it right. So did MP3 (unless you're only talking about 3rd party games?)

Oh yeah, forgot about MP3. I just don't generally lump Metroid even in first person into the FPS category.

Orayn

Cow Mengde said:
I think a lot of that is due to most Wii productions having smaller budgets and/or being handed off to less capable developers. If a big team is firing on all cylinders making games for the Wii-U, I think we'll see Wii FPS controls done a lot better.

freddy

Banned
Shorty said:
gotta love how everyone seems to be missing the pointer controls after years of LOL WAGGLE
I find it funny you think both things are the same and the same people saying "LOL WAGGLE" are the same ones missing pointer controls.

WillyFive

Orayn said:
I think a lot of that is due to most Wii productions having smaller budgets and/or being handed off to less capable developers. If a big team is firing on all cylinders making games for the Wii-U, I think we'll see Wii FPS controls done a lot better.

....or not done at all, despite having the functionality.

wsippel said:
I'm not sure. I simply don't know of any F2P games on either system. Then again, I hardly follow 360 news. I think there are one or two free MMOs on PS3, but aren't those first party and Japan only?

Those MMO's are published by Q? Entertainment. Dust 514 will be another free to play game and it's being released in the US.

Rich!

Truth101 said:
Oh, so it actually is an MMO? I thought I had misread about that.

FPS: FIRST PERSON SHOOTER
TPS: THIRD PERSON SHOOTER

Watch the video, look at the viewpoint, and think about it for a second.

it's a third person shooter, lol

Truth101

Banned
richisawesome said:
FPS: FIRST PERSON SHOOTER
TPS: THIRD PERSON SHOOTER

Watch the video, look at the viewpoint, and think about it for a second.

I never play shooters forgive me please =[

TTP said:
Doesn't matter. When I'm playing a shooter I need to be focused on the action all the time. Having to look down to check the map would be terrible.

My point was he said the map is already on the screen, but it's a minimap. The Wii U map would be, presumably, a much larger map. The only comparable view on screen would be to press a button to view the full map.

For minimaps, I agree.

Rich!

Truth101 said:
I never play shooters forgive me please =[

Heh, don't worry. But seriously, it's the same concept in writing:

First Person: "Through my own eyes, I saw myself shoot a man in the ass"
Third Person: "This man in front of me just shot a man in the ass"

Quote number 1 could be Halo or Goldeneye. Quote 2 could be Gears of War or Ghost Recon.

wsippel said:
Published by Sony Online Entertainment.

Still F2P. Dust 514 by CCP will also be F2P AFAIK.

EDIT: I think PSN also has some random JP MMO RPGs that are free to play, I think one is named Angels Online IIRC.

benjipwns

Banned
Well that's better than its appearance in the conference video montage where it said "www.fraps.com" at the top of the screen half the time.

Zomba13

Green Scar said:
I was expecting an MMO where you play as Tom Clancy in a world of Tom Clancys, playing out the plots of Tom Clancy novels.
Tom Clancy's Tom Clancy: Tom Clancy

J-Rock

Banned
Look's cool.

Honestly, I'm just happy the main focus is off of motion controls this time around. So glad it's taken a back seat with this new controller.

basik

I want pointer controls but I also like how if you wanna mess with the map or control drones or whatever you have to make yourself vulnerable or find good cover to do it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They better support the wiimote and nunchuck for this (and almost every other Wii U game). Just make the satelite view pop up with a button shortcut, like I imagine the PC version will be, or like the Call of Duty games allow you to call in the attack choppers or whatever else. It's not a tough task and the in game effect would be similar enough, you still need safety to take your focus off the FPS view in order to manage whatever you want to manage. Just don't fuck up the pointing.

What's with all the pro-classic controls people shitting on people/threads who suggest the option of pointing controls anyway? Do they get owned that hard by people using Wiimote/Move on compatible games so they don't want them to have the choice at all? You've apparently got the dual analog controls you like already, just let people freely express the desire for pointer controls so they can maybe get what they want too, it doesn't affect you all that much.

onQ123 said:
but it does still have pointer controls in a way (the baseball & gun demo)
I don't wanna haul a controller all over the place for such games (although it would be cool to turn the TV off and play a VR style Endless Ocean game or something) I want the small, speedy, precise movements the wiimote allows while rested in my lap and uses to greatly enhance first/third person games and many other styles of gameplay.

Einbroch

Banned
Wish you could hold up the controller when you have a sniper rifle and look "through" the controller, moving it towards and away from the TV to zoom in and out.

Would be so badass.

Einbroch

Banned
Shiggie said:
Holy shit! Gaf WANTS "waggle" now?...
No one wants waggle.

People, in general, like pointer controls when they're executed well. Games where you flail the controller like a mad man are still just as hated.

Afrodium

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Boo at the analog controls. Why can't they use the tablet part as a sort of mouse/stylus controls?
Probably because there's no real way to shoot when you're using your hand to aim. Sure, you could pull the trigger with your other hand, but that would feel off.

Top Bottom