• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands Open Beta: February 23rd - February 27th

Fingers crossed that they are going to attempt to implement some community feedback. Mainly, helicopter controls. There were like 30 threads about that alone in the official forums.

Whatever you think of Ubi I really like how they are pretty good about doing open betas for all their multiplayer games so people can make their own minds.

Frostman

Will be giving this a go, but considering I've got Horizon, Zelda, Nier and ME Andromeda it won't be a March buy.

Word on the street is the open beta will have a second region unlocked in addition to the closed beta. The region in closed beta, Itacua, was 1 of 5 in difficulty rating. Open beta region will be 5 of 5. Apparently lots of people complained it was too easy even on Ghost difficulty, but Ubi saying that is cause closed beta was limited to an easy region only. So this should hopefully let us kick the tires against highest difficulty in highest difficulty rated region. If AI is still a joke... then concerns are valid.

Hoje0308

Banned
Willing to give it another go with some friends, but gunplay was awful in the closed beta. Hopefully adjustments have been made.

SomTervo

Closed beta had some issues, but was insane fun.

Between this and R6 Siege we're really set for tactical shooters.

Taking down bases with a friend felt legit like SOCOM, at times like proper Ghost Recon.

Willing to give it another go with some friends, but gunplay was awful in the closed beta. Hopefully adjustments have been made.

What were you playing on?

On PC the gunplay was totally on-point.

jmizzal

I'm already getting the game and was in two closed Betas so I will just wait for it to come out, gotta finish up other games before Switch is out

B00TE

Taking down bases with a friend felt legit like SOCOM, at times like proper Ghost Recon.

This is how I felt playing the closed beta with a friend, didn't really feel like Ghost Recon but I was getting SOCOM vibes. Getting around the map was pretty meh to me but I loved the actual gameplay of tackling an objective or taking an outpost.

Hoje0308

Banned
Closed beta had some issues, but was insane fun.

Between this and R6 Siege we're really set for tactical shooters.

What were you playing on?

On PC the gunplay was totally on-point.

PS4, but performance won't help the fact that the guns don't feel like guns. Bullet speed is way off, for example. It honestly doesn't feel like anyone that's ever fired a gun went near this project and if they did, no one was listening to them.

SomTervo

This is how I felt playing the closed beta with a friend, didn't really feel like Ghost Recon but I was getting SOCOM vibes. Getting around the map was pretty meh to me but I loved the actual gameplay of tackling an objective or taking an outpost.

Getting around the map becomes way less of a pain in the ass once you commit to fast travelling to friends/bases.

PS4, but performance won't help the fact that the guns don't feel like guns. Bullet speed is way off, for example. It honestly doesn't feel like anyone that's ever fired a gun went near this project and if they did, no one was listening to them.

... I just found it fun to play and shoot people. Dropping goons felt good.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS it certainly felt better than The Division at least

Hoje0308

Banned
Getting around the map becomes way less of a pain in the ass once you commit to fast travelling to friends/bases.

... I just found it fun to play and shoot people. Dropping goons felt good.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS it certainly felt better than The Division at least

I'll give it another shot (heh) come open beta. Playing with friends should help with the fun factor regardless of how I feel about certain mechanics.

Unity2012

Good news. I really enjoyed the closed Beta. I'm looking forward to see changes "if any," and to just play more Wildlands.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
vhyfxm.jpg

Edit: I enjoyed my time in Far Cry Gear Solid 4: Treasure Hunt edition!

calder

if you guys could show one video in order to convice a friend to buy the game, what would it be?

Avoid 90% of the impressions videos on youtube that popped up after the recent demo event. Unless your friend enjoys watching a long cutscene of boring stock characters talking during a helicopter ride and then someone who's never played the game before try to figure out the controls for 10 minutes.

WizzNARD

anyone know if you have to download this again if you were already in the closed beta? There's more stuff so I assume that you do?

BECOME A GHOST

*Little Bird chopper flies in guns blazing*

I'll check this out. Closed Beta was decent but that area felt very small/repetitive. Hopefully opening the regions up helps with that.

hope they change sync shot, killing 4 targets the same time through mountains or buildings is a joke

huh? I wsnt in the beta so Im not sure what you mean. So there was no hit detection for sync shots? Like the AI didnt have to find better angles to make the shots they were assigned like in previous GR games?

This game is going to suffer the same fate as Watch Dogs 2. It's just a really busy time.

The gunplay was atrocious in closed beta. We'll see...

Looking forward to trying co-op, and hopefully they've tweaked the AI. Maybe expanded their awareness and made them less likely to stand out in the open.

I'll give it one more shot, but I was seriously unimpressed with that last beta.

I want this game to be good, but I simply have too many issues with it. The controls, simple mission design, poor writing, clumsy mechanics, poor gunplay etc. The entire game just seemed kind of bad overall.

huh? I wsnt in the beta so Im not sure what you mean. So there was no hit detection for sync shots? Like the AI didnt have to find better angles to make the shots they were assigned like in previous GR games?

Nope, the enemies just fall over dead as soon as you activate it. It's the main reason why your squad is always behind you most of the time. It's so you can't see them shooting through objects.

I don't mind the fact that they aren't actually shooting the enemies and its just a magic bullet thing. However, it takes fucking forever for them to actually line up a shot. Even when they have an obvious direct line of sight to the enemy, it sometimes takes them like 10 seconds after marking an enemy before you can use it.

dragn

you only need to mark targets and hold a button to fire, doesnt matter where the ai mates are

I'll probably try sniping again in the next beta. The farthest headshot I got was 523m and the farthest kill was 576. Unfortunately in solo the markers kept going way when I got too far, so i'll have to try in a group.

these are the 2 kills I got:
http://streamable.com/j22q7

Nope, the enemies just fall over dead as soon as you activate it. It's the main reason why your squad is always behind you most of the time. It's so you can't see them shooting through objects.

I don't mind the fact that they aren't actually shooting the enemies and its just a magic bullet thing. However, it takes fucking forever for them to actually line up a shot. Even when they have an obvious direct line of sight to the enemy, it sometimes takes them like 10 seconds after marking an enemy before you can use it.

you only need to mark targets and hold a button to fire, doesnt matter where the ai mates are

Thats pretty lazy IMO. Its also something that I think would bug the hell out of me in a finished product.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
I hope it plays better than it looks. Watched the Kinda Funny Let's Play and the game looked like butt and didn't seem fun in the slightest. It reminded me a lot of The Division's shooting (which I thought was boring).

Skyzard

Banned
Awesome. Hopefully it's not exactly the same as the closed beta... probably will be but that thing crashed on me all the time (also tonnes of bugs - played on PC). I enjoyed what I played of it though. Not too stressful/demanding, pretty chill and fun.

NewDust

I'll give it one more shot, but I was seriously unimpressed with that last beta.

I want this game to be good, but I simply have too many issues with it. The controls, simple mission design, poor writing, clumsy mechanics, poor gunplay etc. The entire game just seemed kind of bad overall.

This is definitely not my experience... Or the a.i. Is just fucking dumb. Well it is, but even dumber. Wanted to use squad kills to take out two guards (with me taking out the third) in the "government troops" compound, inside a hangar. My buddies only needed to be close to where I was to have line of sight, since the enemies were static. They kept wandering around the place, only obtaining locks on the targets for a second, but never at the same time. Must have been waiting 5 minutes or so, before I finally said 'fuck it'.

I hope it plays better than it looks. Watched the Kinda Funny Let's Play and the game looked like butt and didn't seem fun in the slightest. It reminded me a lot of The Division's shooting (which I thought was boring).
At least the enemies drop super quick, which is a night and day difference from The Division, and a seriously appreciated one.

But that was from the starting area - and I've got no idea if enemies get spongier as you move up in the game's difficulty rating, or if that difficulty just means more vehicles, sniper and more organized attacks and defenses.

Top Bottom