• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands Open Beta: February 23rd - February 27th

Skyzard

Banned
Been playing it since it went up at 6:00 AM and basically did everything I did in the Closed Beta. After you complete the 6 missions you unlock the new area and get a large resource and XP bonus to help you there since it's a 5 skull zone. There's 5 missions in this area but I just got to it so I dunno what to expect yet.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I'll get ploughing through those missions instead of fighting every random. Looking forward to seeing the new area.

nOoblet16

They could have easily assigned cover to X rather than auto cover cause X is used to do fuck all basically. Assigning targets and executing them could have been done with other buttons.

Been playing it since it went up at 6:00 AM and basically did everything I did in the Closed Beta. After you complete the 6 missions you unlock the new area and get a large resource and XP bonus to help you there since it's a 5 skull zone. There's 5 missions in this area but I just got to it so I dunno what to expect yet.
Thats good to know rhatvthe other area opens after you complete the first area. Im hoping its more of a challenge though as the first area is pretty easy to do in an hour or so.

cripterion

what the hell is this ?? is this really a 60$ triple A game from Ubisoft ? is this really Ghost Reckon ?

it looks and plays like an early access survival game

the game is just so bad, nothing is good in it, graphics sucks, gameplay is horrible, animation is terrible, controls are laughable

if i didn't know that this is Ghost Reckon i would have thought this was one of the hundreds of survival early access games on steam

i really regret wasting my time downloading this trash

i actually feel ashamed of my words and deeds when i though that it reminds me a little bit of MGS V

i wouldn't even play this for free

i know many disliked The division but it's 100x better, it's quality is way above this disaster

was this supposed to be an indie game but they turned it into full game at the last minute or something ??

Ubisoft should have canceled this shit

What the fuck? The graphics are pretty awesome and the open beta runs much better than the closed one, at least for me.
I'm waiting for my friend to go at it again, I do agree the game blows if you play solo and they need to work on the animations, lipsync, voice acting and physics.

AHA-Lambda

well i'll cross post from the impressions thread:

Well, I tried a little of it out on PC, but quickly uninstalled it after a few missions.

And the reason is fairly simply, nothing here makes me feel that this won't be just another typical open world game. If anything, this may well be a great vertical slice of all that is wrong with Ubi open world games.

Now I may very well be mistaken here, but from the set up introduced right at the start of the beta I can quickly see that the broad set up for the game will be something akin to:

-gathering collectibles to unlock (at least some of) the story missions
-complete story missions that culminate in you killing a target of some interest
-keep doing this to kill more of these targets of interest to allow you to then kill another 2 targets of higher interest up the chain. This then completes a particular "branch" of this drug cartel which you're combatting
-do this for all 4 branches to then face the final boss and win the game

All I can see in that picture is grind, something reminiscent of what many hated in Mafia 3, (although I didn't personally play that so I can't say with full certainty).
The game may well live or die on the quality of it's story missions, cos it seems another checklist simulator otherwise.

It's a shame cos I thought it held a good first impression with Far Cry-esque tactically taking out enemies but as a cover shooter.

I may well be wrong, I hope I am, but I fear this will be a game of huge grind.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
what the hell is this ?? is this really a 60$ triple A game from Ubisoft ? is this really Ghost Reckon ?

the game is just so bad, nothing is good in it, graphics sucks, gameplay is horrible, animation is terrible, controls are laughable

if i didn't know that this is Ghost Reckon i would have thought this was one of the hundreds of survival early access games on steam

i actually feel ashamed of my words and deeds when i though that it reminds me a little bit of MGS V

i know many disliked The division but it's 100x better, it's quality is way above this disaster

was this supposed to be an indie game but they turned it into full game at the last minute or something ??

100% my reactions too.

Holy shit, they actually didn't fix the controls from the closed beta.

Well, that's £55 saved.

Fucking hell ubisoft, this game is just ridiculously bad for a "AAA" title.

You really did shit on the ghost recon brand from a great height.

So I take it reading all the posts that the strange mouse-lag and rubberbanding for the lack of a better word is normal on the PC beta? :/

Didn't expect such harsh stuff in this thread, jeez. Me and my friend just got done a 3 hour session in Co-op and we loved everything we played. On PC the game looks absolutely incredible. It actually doesn't run that bad either at the higher settings at 60fps, some drops but none that bothered me enough to drop settings from down, I was at Very High and High for everything with one or two at ultra. On a 980ti and i7 6700k.

The story and "characters" are obviously horribly bad, but me and my friend enjoyed Far Cry 3 and 4 a lot. This just seems like that but with more options and an even bigger open world (Open world is just ridiculous in size)

I understand the comparisons to MGS5, I think this plays better overall (Save for some of the stealth but it's still good.)

To me I think playing in Co-Op will probably be the absolute best way to play this unlike Far Cry.

edit - lol whoops didn't see the other thread, I'll move these impressions over there!

Can't wait for the next "Oh Ubisoft" segment from Jim Sterling. :)

Maddocks

The character creation is what division should have had from the beginning, and wildlands really should have stolen the cover system from the division because it is way way smoother then what we have now, pretty clunky.

Experien

The "best" part is grabbing any car and driving over any piece of terrain with no problem. The fact I could do that turned me off. It was easier to randomly drive across mountains than follow roads all the way around the outside of the map.

That or just use a helicopter during stealth missions without failing.

fantomena

Agreed with everything except for the graphics. I wouldn't say it sucks, but it's not as good as it should be considering it still performs shit. When I drive, huge performance drops all over the place, much less, but still some drops when I walk/run. The performance is better than in the closer beta, but still very shitty.

void666

Banned
The "best" part is grabbing any car and driving over any piece of terrain with no problem. The fact I could do that turned me off. It was easier to randomly drive across mountains than follow roads all the way around the outside of the map.

That or just use a helicopter during stealth missions without failing.

This bothered me a lot. My friend got a bike and drove in straight line to the objective. The terrain doesn't matter and you're glued to the bike.

And the driver's AI is so dumb. If you leave your car parked in the middle of a road soon you will have a traffic jam because drivers can't drive around your car.

Top Bottom