• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Wildlands Open beta PVP now available to download (Don't need base game)

Quarry is a horrendous mp map, Jesus.

"lets give one side a billion sniper spots while the other gets absolutely no cover towards the middle
Oh and the map is also narrow as hell"

It's got the kind of movement down pat but honestly I fully expect the PVP to die.

Unfortunately there is way too much downtime and the matchmaking and load times are horrendously long. It's a great concept gameplay wise but it's going to die with the matchmaking being the way it is. It's pretty obvious this was half assed in terms of quality control.

For example it just took me a minute to register pressing x to go into quick play.

A minute. To switch menus.

I can already see the droning class being way too useful, enemy position is just way more important than anything else

I just wish this had more production value.

All of this can be fixed. Question is, do they care enough?

Because a late stage add on with PVP and no dedicated servers wont inspire confidence

Time in between rounds is definitely painfully slow and needs to be cut down big time.

But man, I am enjoying it a lot. Lots of scenarios where Im planting mines on dead bodies, lots of clutch saves where it's 1v1 and youre both desperately deciding to go for the kill or revive teammates.

It's fun.

It needs to be a separate thing.

Like seriously, they have somehting a lot of SOCOM fans would enjoy.

Make it a new game. Add 12v12, and go down to 4v4. Add lots of modes. So much potential that I know Ubisoft wont recognize

Because a late stage add on with PVP and no dedicated servers wont inspire confidence

Time in between rounds is definitely painfully slow and needs to be cut down big time.

But man, I am enjoying it a lot. Lots of scenarios where Im planting mines on dead bodies, lots of clutch saves where it's 1v1 and youre both desperately deciding to go for the kill or revive teammates.

It's fun.

Make it a new game. Add 12v12, and go down to 4v4. Add lots of modes. So much potential that I know Ubisoft wont recognize

Yes and yes

SOCOM II was the most fun I ever had with a video game. I could play Crossroads with my IW-80 for the rest of my waking moments and die happy (almost--sex).

Please Ubi make this great!

Tawpgun

I think snipers and DMR's are pretty powerful.

Other than that I think it's great. For a add on it plays very well and is fun.

But now I can't help but imagine a Pubg mode. You know how ubi took the ac4 sailing and made skull and bones? They should take what they have here and make it it's own game.

Finally got around to creating my character
VrO04xa.jpg

Wonder if there will be night versions of all the maps when this game officially releases.

I played a few matches and it feels reeeaally good. But jesus christ it is really team dependent. If you thought playing Siege was hard in solo, this is like 10 times worse.

gossi

Wow, on the Xbox One version right now has 131 players in total (it displays in game). For a free beta that’s.... terrible.

Tapejara

My only issues so far are the downtime between rounds and the lack of dedi servers. Otherwise it's pretty fun! Will probably pick up Wildlands next time it's on sale.

How big are the maps and team sizes?
Theres 2 good sizable maps. The 3rd one called Quarry feels clostrophobic to me. Kinda feels like GR: Future Soldier. You can check twitch or youtube and see how it play. You can then get a sense of how big the maps feel and play before the beta ends.

Klocker

Wow, on the Xbox One version right now has 131 players in total (it displays in game). For a free beta that's.... terrible.

yea I played a few matches late last night and there were like 80 people on and I was like wtf

i mean 800 or 8000 ok but 80?

Boss X

Banned
I can't believe run and gunning in this game hasn't been addressed, point blank range and all my bullets miss >=[

Night.Ninja

Banned
I played two games earlier because of this thread, games actually quite good I can see the hypes its had. I feel this new mode would be so much better if it had pubs style huge map, games can be over too quick with these small maps.

TheShocker

I've been pleasantly surprised with this. I was worried about the quality of the PvP this far from release, but for as simple as it is, it's a lot of fun. I hope there will be additional modes and player caps at release. I think something in the realm of 6v6 or 8v8 could still play out really well on these maps. And here is to hoping for more weapon/accessories options in the final release.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yo this is good. I hated the original Wildlands, but this PVP is pretty good. I normally don't like the 1 life kind of modes but this feels a lot more startegic and accessable compared to Siege and PUGB.

Now add a complete 6v6 TDM and objective mode with respawns.

Xeilyn

Im playing it right now and i like the gameplay, although there is some noticable input lag on PS4. I gotta say though, it really does feel like im playing hide and seek half the time, alot of peeking around corners and camping since the only objective is to kill the other team.

A mode with more players and some form of objectice or a battle royale mode would be great. Since the game uses p2p they would have to invest in some good servers for a battle royale mode though.

Foxxsoxx

It's fun.

Yeah it can totally be fixed, but I only see them doing the bare minimum.

It would have been a different story had the PVP launched with the game.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of problems with this though. Host migration, trying to find a sniper gets very boring (they can camp line of sight of the radio tower radar thing), lack of customization of weapons (which is weird considering the base game has plenty), bad menus, low budget feel going between rounds and matches.

Also the biggest problem, only 5 maps. They can add more, sure, but launching with 5 when you have a game as huge as this is just mindblowing.

Also, unfortunately launching PVP months after the game releases is a death sentence. Reminds me a lot of MGO3, pure potential.

Tawpgun

Player counts are bugged I believe.

But yeah people are idiots. I was pinging an enemy and the idiot refused to turn around

Wow, on the Xbox One version right now has 131 players in total (it displays in game). For a free beta that’s.... terrible.

yea I played a few matches late last night and there were like 80 people on and I was like wtf

But yeah people are idiots. I was pinging an enemy and the idiot refused to turn around

Those have to be wrong. Wasn't Wildlands a crazy high seller earlier this year? I can't imagine so few people are checking out a free PVP beta.

Ashtar

There was a tweet or a hot fix that says that it was displaying the amount of people actively getting matches at that time as opposed to people that were actually in a match I'll see if I can find it
Edit
We realize the "Online Players" number on the matchmaking screen is a little misleading. That is the number of players who are waiting in line for matchmaking, not the total number of players in the game. The llama who was responsible for this has been sacked.

Source

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...e-quot-Black-Screen-quot-Issue-Important-Info

Damn the maps at night are a bitch. I can see why some people say that they dont want thermal when it turns night. It would change the dynamics of the matches.

This beta finally sold me on the game. I've been back and forth for a while but this brings back fond memories of SOCOM and GRAW 2 mp. The PS4 version is $35 on Amazon now, shipped and sold.

TheKevn

I just played an hour and had a great time. I have mixed feelings on the way reviving works but it's a minor grips. Can't wait to see the full PvP suite.

So I've played a few matches entirely with randoms, I'm quite enjoying it. I can't wait to try it with my usual group. A few thoughts:

- I like the feel of the game, it's not run and gun like most shooters.

- I like the team sizes, 4vs 4 has enough action

- There is very little downtime between matches

- I love random time of day and weather

- Revives..... I feel like you should not be able to be revived more than once, or a dedicated class should only be allowed to revive on a cooldown.

- I like loud shots showing up on the screen, keeps snipers from remaining completely hidden all match

- I hate the quarry map

It has a unique feel, similar to R6 but less claustrophobic. I'd love some more maps but as a beta it'll do.

I really hope they are developing a battle Royal expansion to the game, that would be really smart. The game is perfect for it, just needs to be able to support enough players

Gowans

Played with some of my group last night and it was even more fun. Really really loved it, what a great surprise this mode is.

Klocker

There was a tweet or a hot fix that says that it was displaying the amount of people actively getting matches at that time as opposed to people that were actually in a match I'll see if I can find it
Edit

Source

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...e-quot-Black-Screen-quot-Issue-Important-Info

Cool yea there is just a feeling of despair looking at the player count thinking , what's the point of even trying to enjoy this as it will be dead before it even starts.

but still 80 people waiting for a match still seems low even if 2500 are in matches... would like to know if there are any numbers

Went ahead and checked this out, they still couldn’t be bothered to fix the horrendous input lag on consoles after all this time? Pretty much kills whatever interest I had in this mode right there.

Alienous

I enjoyed it. It's an interesting stealth-shooter experience.

It has some awful game-feel though. I think I could really love it at 60fps with a streamlined control-scheme.

Cool yea there is just a feeling of despair looking at the player count thinking , what's the point of even trying to enjoy this as it will be dead before it even starts.

but still 80 people waiting for a match still seems low even if 2500 are in matches... would like to know if there are any numbers

Player count shows number of players in matchmaking, not in-game

Foxxsoxx

I enjoyed it. It's an interesting stealth-shooter experience.

It has some awful game-feel though. I think I could really love it at 60fps with a streamlined control-scheme.

Yeah playing on console at 30fps the gunplay and movement feel awful. 60 would be a godsend, the concept is great but boy it just feels way off, the controls feel so unresponsive it isn't even funny.

Also 80 people in matchmaking for a free beta is awful, even if more are in games.

Top Bottom