• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Is Back!

So does this qualify then as the first LEGITIMATE videogame sequel to a major movie franchise?

We've had game spinoffs for years, but never anything near this level. We're getting full cast and the original writers -- that says a LOT. I just hope the lip synching is excellent.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Superblatt said:
We've had game spinoffs for years, but never anything near this level. We're getting full cast and the original writers -- that says a LOT. I just hope the lip synching is excellent.

And that they don't pull a Simpsons on the gameplay.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TONX said:
Graphics look good enough for me. Now just concentrate on the FUN.

Edit: After seeing those videos, i think a Wii and PS3 version would be ideal. If they had a Folklore-esque type gameplay where you reel in the ghosts by pulling the controller, it would be PERFECT.

With Rumble added!!! drool

Cardon

Superblatt said:
So does this qualify then as the first LEGITIMATE videogame sequel to a major movie franchise?

Yeah I think this is pretty much the first legimate videogame sequel to a major film franchise. One could claim that Stranglehold was the first one, albeit not to a major film franchise, since it was supposed to be a direct sequel to Hard Boiled but considering that the story wasn't the main focus I guess that doesn't really qualify.

Fatalah

From watching the new movie and seeing the screenshots--- Doesn't this game look like a mod?

The dev did a good job replicating the environments from the movies, but I feel like someone took a game engine and slapped ghostbusters stuff over it. It feels generic! Look at the carpet textures, and the blurriness of the paintings! (Character models are great though.)

Did EA hire the same team that was originally started this game out of their garage?

Cardon

Fatalah said:
From watching the new movie and seeing the screenshots--- Doesn't this game look like a mod?

The dev did a good job replicating the environments from the movies, but I feel like someone took a game engine and slapped ghostbusters stuff over it. It feels generic! Look at the carpet textures, and the blurriness of the paintings! (Character models are great though.)

Did EA hire the same team that was originally started this game out of their garage?

Well I do agree that some of the screens leave a bit to be desired but considering that the game is a year off I think the visuals will definately improve a bit. And I don't really get that mod feel to the game since I assume there are some unnannounced elements to the game which will give the game its own identity. Also EA has nothing to do with this, it's a Sierra/Universal project.

Fatalah

Cardon said:
Well I do agree that some of the screens leave a bit to be desired but considering that the game is a year off I think the visuals will definately improve a bit. And I don't really get that mod feel to the game since I assume there are some unnannounced elements to the game which will give the game its own identity. Also EA has nothing to do with this, it's a Sierra/Universal project.

Sierra aye? How are they doing lately? I remember they started the whole Tom Clancy franchise with their SWAT games and Rainbow Six games...

Back in the day they used to be my favorite game company as a kid. Spelling S-i-e-r-r-a in DOS prompt was one of the first words I learned how to type.

Fatalah said:
Sierra aye? How are they doing lately? I remember they started the whole Tom Clancy franchise with their SWAT games and Rainbow Six games...

Back in the day they used to be my favorite game company as a kid. Spelling S-i-e-r-r-a in DOS prompt was one of the first words I learned how to type.

Saying Sierra doesn't really mean much to me. I care about who the actual dev team is and what they've done before. Or, at the very least, where the team members came from. Does anyone have any info here?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
xkrtc9.gif

54a4gvk.gif

color me surprised and excited. I feel like I'm 8 again.

JDSN

Banned
Holy shit, this has been the generation of dreams come true for me, now all I need is a Demon's Crest sequel.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
As unlockables, they should throw in some episodes of the cartoon. Those few episodes on the dvd were such a tease. Oh, and I have to buy this game. Like even if it sucks, I have to buy it. I'll just make myself enjoy it.

Until it comes out, we should all play Ghosthunter to hold ourselves over.

61XCCEKNHML._SS500_.jpg

EDIT: Yeah, even though I'm 21, I was made a Ghostbusters fan at a young age. One Christmas I got a ton of GB action figures + Ecto-1. I loved it. Although I was sorta sad because my mom wasn't able to get me a proton pack because they were sold out everywhere. :(

SpudBud

Grizzlyjin said:
EDIT: Yeah, even thought I'm 21, I was made a Ghostbusters fan at a young age. One Christmas I got a ton of GB action figures + Ecto-1. I loved it. Although I was sorta sad because my mom wasn't able to get me a proton pack because they were sold out everywhere. :(
Hell I'm 18 and I grew up loving ghostbusters. I had the proton pack, ghost trap, and a huge amount of action figures.

Cardon

Superblatt said:
Saying Sierra doesn't really mean much to me. I care about who the actual dev team is and what they've done before. Or, at the very least, where the team members came from. Does anyone have any info here?

Terminal Reality (PC / 360 / PS3):
4x4 Evo games
The Blair Witch Experience
Bloodrayne 1 & 2
Blowout
Cart Precision Racing
Fly!
Fury 3
Hellbender
Maximum Racing
Monster Truck Madness
Nocturne
Re-Mission
Roadkill
SpyHunter: Nowhere to Run
Terminal Velocity

Red Fly Studios (PS2 / Wii / DS)
No back catalogue yet
Mushroom Men (coming soon)
Staff previously worked on games such as: Star Wars Galaxies, BloodRayne, Nocturne, FIFA Football 2005, Anachronox, SSX3 and Deus Ex.

Red Fly Studios (PS2 / Wii / DS)
No back catalogue yet
Mushroom Men (coming soon)
Staff previously worked on games such as: Star Wars Galaxies, BloodRayne, Nocturne, FIFA Football 2005, Anachronox, SSX3 and Deus Ex.

Some members of Red Fly also worked at Retro Studios, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony studios and one member was part of the Gears of War team.

Chris_C

Riskbreaker23 said:
everybody here loved the ghostbusters as kid. if you didnt, you are not american.

Nigerian actually! Ghostbusters was an international phenomenon. My grandma had the soundtrack on tape! :lol

arne

It's sad that it wasn't until this thread that I realized Red Fly was working on the other versions. I haven't even seen those, but I'm dying to now.

arne said:
It's sad that it wasn't until this thread that I realized Red Fly was working on the other versions. I haven't even seen those, but I'm dying to now.
After seeing a bit of the 360/PS3 version I'm a little more psyched then I was.

But the Wii/PS2 version is what I've got my eye on. Relatively Wii exclusive developer, tons of talent from all around the industry, and liscenced game from one of my favorite comedies of all time.

And at least four of the original cast doing voicework.

Chris_C said:
Nigerian actually! Ghostbusters was an international phenomenon. My grandma had the soundtrack on tape! :lol
True, Ghostbusters was huge back in the 80's and even a bit during the early 90's. I remeber there was all kind of merchandise, even some kind of Slime goo maker shit. I think I still my old Egon toy somewhere, his eyes came out of his sockets if you pressed a button or something.

Tr4nce

Riskbreaker23 said:
everybody here loved the ghostbusters as kid. if you didnt, you are not american.

Well, I'm Dutch man. And when I was young, I was obsessed with all of this. The first movie is so well done, it's unbelievable.

arne

Witchfinder General said:
Graphics could be a bit better but I'm excited all the same.

this game is probably a YEAR from launch. ONE YEAR.
PLENTY of time to tighten up the graphics on level three.

Scarecrow

Peope don't like Ghostbusters 2? That's new to me.

I can't help but hope the radio conversations with characters is something akin to Bioshock. Or, at least, not like Otis in Dead Rising.

arne said:
this game is probably a YEAR from launch. ONE YEAR.
PLENTY of time to tighten up the graphics on level three.
Um, yeah... I'll need you to come in on Saturday.

The graphics on level three are fine, we need you to work on levels six through ten.

lumbergh.jpg

For nostalgia's sake and thanks to this thread I ran out tonight and bought the double package edition of Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II for $18. Watching the first movie as an adult and getting the jokes made everything ten times more awesome.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
disappeared said:
For nostalgia's sake and thanks to this thread I ran out tonight and bought the double package edition of Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II for $18. Watching the first movie as an adult and getting the jokes made everything ten times more awesome.

Just don't watch the second film.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The Innocent X said:
You make me feel old, Ghostbusters came out when I was 8

Same here. I saw it and Gremlins in a theater on the same day.

mCACGj

Router said:
Just don't watch the second film.

I love the second film, come on! It might just be me loving it being a stupid kid and taking that love into my adulthood but I think it's still a funny movie. No where near as good as the original, and the story is lame, and there are a lot of flaws looking back on it but it's still enjoyable.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
mCACGj said:
I love the second film, come on! It might just be me loving it being a stupid kid and taking that love into my adulthood but I think it's still a funny movie. No where near as good as the original, and the story is lame, and there are a lot of flaws looking back on it but it's still enjoyable.

Looking back on it for me its like the Ninja Turtles. Great first film followed by a weaker second film because parents thought the first ones were too dark and scary.

mCACGj

Router said:
Looking back on it for me its like the Ninja Turtles. Great first film followed by a weaker second film because parents thought the first ones were too dark and scary.

That's exactly right, actually, but I still enjoy it, and thanks to Comedy Central I've probably seen it almost as many times as the original...OK, no where near as many times, but I've seen it more than I'd like to admit (me and my brother used to watch the tape of Ghostbusters everyday, my brother who was older can recite every line...in fact, we broke the tape we watched it so many times).

pubba

bryehn said:
More footage from a Euro site I've never heard of.
Stream
mp4

This video is way better than the G4 one that was posted on the last page. Anyone who hasn't taken a look yet - do it now!

I think my hype just went up to 11. October 2008 seems like an eternity away..

Superblatt said:

Well, there was Enter the Matrix.

DeadTrees

Superblatt said:
Goonies II and The Thing, depending on your definitions of "major" and "legitimate".

Superblatt said:

Nope.

box-l.jpg

John Carpenter endorsed it as the official sequel to the 1982 film, and his likeness is even used for one of the storyline characters.

edit: bah, I was beaten. Forgot about Goonies II though

M3wThr33

Banned
Goonies II was a sequel to the first Goonies game which was never released in the states.

Also, what do you call Star Wars?

And Scarface.

M3wThr33 said:
Goonies II was a sequel to the first Goonies game which was never released in the states.

Also, what do you call Star Wars?

And Scarface.
I don't call them games written by the original writers, or featuring much input from the original actors.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't call them games written by the original writers, or featuring much input from the original actors.

Exactly. Again, this is the first legit sequel to a major film franchise. We can only hope it's successful. If so, things could change for the better and we could hopefully get away from lame craptacular movie spinoffs.

Top Bottom