• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters Is Back!

ghibli99

tanod said:
Master System. Unless that version is the same, :mad:
Yep, pretty much the same as the C=64/Apple // versions, although the C=64 version was my favorite due to the great voice samples and the quality of the music.

JDSN

Banned
pubba said:
Nice concept art

ghostbustersthegame.jpg

Whats that thing from Gears of War doing in there?

Fatalah

You know what's weird? Two of my favorite movies from my childhood (back to the future, ghostbusters) are really comedies. Yet, they seemed so dramatic as kids.

The game shouldn't over-dramatize the Ghostbusters! Videogames are overly serious!

tanod

when is my burrito
JDSN said:

Well if Zootfly didn't own the license and they were creating that stuff and trying to get money out of it. Sony Pictures, I think, can effectively sieze all of that work since they are the ones who own the copyright.

Just like Sony got to take all of the Bleem! code when they won their lawsuit against that emulation company.

koam

DEVS: If you're reading this, don't fuck up the wii version!

Wiimote = Point, Shoot and jump. Motions are used to pull the ghost towards the trap.

Nunchuck = motions used to throw the trap, Z = uses the trap, C button keeps saying "who ya gonna call?" and "i ain't afraid of no ghost".

okay, maybe change the c button.

Booser

Wiimote = Point, Shoot and jump. Motions are used to pull the ghost towards the trap.

Nunchuck = motions used to throw the trap, Z = uses the trap

Perfect. Kinda like the shield ripping in MP3 you should have to tug back and forth on the remote as the ghosts tries to break out of the stream.

This could be awesome. All eyes seem to be on the Wii version. DONT FUCK IT UP OR MY CHILDHOOD WILL KILL YOU!!!!

koam

Booser said:
Perfect. Kinda like the shield ripping in MP3 you should have to tug back and forth on the remote as the ghosts tries to break out of the stream.

This could be awesome. All eyes seem to be on the Wii version. DONT FUCK IT UP OR MY CHILDHOOD WILL KILL YOU!!!!

MP3 is exactly what i was thinking about when i wrote that.

bold part: Yes, like in Luigi's Mansion.

SuperJay

In my dreams, the Wii version is divided into 4 play styles:

1) Drive Ecto to place of haunting.

--Nunhuck control stick to drive, wiimote aims and fires proton beam on top of car.

2) Getting Hot/Cold game with PK meter.

--Walk with nunchuck control stick, wave wiimote around to pick up pk readings until you are led closer and closer to the spook.

3) Gunning and Trapping.

--Flip the wiimote behind your back and right-side up again to switch from pk meter to proton gun. (This action mimics how the proton gun is unholstered and would be totally simple to implement and immersive!)

--Fire with B trigger to either obliterate non-essential ghosts with small damage meters (total protonic reversal!) or to ensnare ghosts which must be trapped.

--Once weakened and ensnared, team member(s) add their proton beams to hold ghost. You cut your beam and

Nunchuck = motions used to throw the trap, Z = uses the trap,

4) Boss Battles

--These would have to play somewhat differently. For instance, you're not going to trap the Stay Puft marshmallow man. I imagine Stay Puft has a damage meter and time limit; you must strike his head with the proton beam to burn damage and deflect or straddle to avoid the flaming marshmallow globs he throws at you.

**Also, I think a hub world in the Ghostbuster's headquarters would be cool. After you catch a ghost, you can walk to the basement and empty traps into the containment unit ala Metroid Prime 3 controls for inserting and removing power tanks.

These ideas are free to use DEVS! I think I'd be as happy as a little girl if these controls/game play elements were implemented. (can you tell I'm something of Ghostbusters fan? :D )

tanod said:
Just like Sony got to take all of the Bleem! code when they won their lawsuit against that emulation company.
They didn't. Bleem! won, but went down the tubes due to the court fees doing so. Maybe you're thinking of Connectix Virtual Game Station, but Sony didn't win that suit, either; they bought the company.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Fuck yeah this is awesome! I've been wanting a Wii Ghostbusters game since the system was announced. Red Fly has a shit ton of talent, so I don't see them fucking this up. It's all good.

What are your favorite Ghostbusters games, BTW?

Mine are the Genesis game, arcade game, Sega Master System game (in that order)

GDGF said:
Fuck yeah this is awesome! I've been wanting a Wii Ghostbusters game since the system was announced. Red Fly has a shit ton of talent, so I don't see them fucking this up. It's all good.

What are your favorite Ghostbusters games, BTW?

Mine are the Genesis game, arcade game, Sega Master System game (in that order)
I played GhostBusters 2 for the NES.

I never picked up another game based on the liscence again. I was freaking scarred.

I hope in this age of good liscenced titles that this will be at least good. Though I'm hoping for great personally.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I think Rick Moranis retired from acting. Think his wife died was the reason why he did.

And if the Wii version controlled like the aforementioned post, I would pick that version up easily.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Lonestar said:
I think Rick Moranis retired from acting. Think his wife died was the reason why he did.
Well, I wouldn't say he retired per se. His wife died from cancer and he just went off to raise his kids.

I think he's doing something with music now.

Taker666 said:
I may have to kill someone if the Wii version doesn't include-

1st person ghost busting mode

Ghost traps thrown out with a nunchuk flip
And the ability to activate them by putting your foot on the Wii Balance Board.

ckohler

vectorman06 said:
I thought the actor who played as Egon was dead, good to see him alive. What about the actor who played Luis and the one who played Jean?
Harold Ramis is actually quite prolific but more as a director/producer than an actor. He just recently directed three episodes of The Office.

ckohler said:
Harold Ramis is actually quite prolific but more as a director/producer than an actor. He just recently directed three episodes of The Office.

he did have a small role in "Knocked Up". But yeah, he's mostly behind the camera these days.

ckohler said:
And even chubby he has that geeky lovable charm.

Same reason I love Al Gore.

Chris_C

Regardless of how this turns out I'm getting it. It can't possibly be worse than Spiderman 2. I can't help but wish Naughty Dog was handling this though, it'll be great to hear the cast again, but I'm almost certain we'll have dead videogame acting a la Spidey 3. If it's as good as the facial animation in Conan I'll be content. Such a great time to be a geek. *sheds tear*

BTW, Viggo ownt. He totally deserves to be in the game.

tanod

when is my burrito
JoshuaJSlone said:
They didn't. Bleem! won, but went down the tubes due to the court fees doing so. Maybe you're thinking of Connectix Virtual Game Station, but Sony didn't win that suit, either; they bought the company.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Tr4nce

rogue_pigeon said:
My bet is that the new bad guy/girl/thing will prove how bad ass it is/they are by resurrecting all the monsters they've fought in the past as mini bosses.
Loving your idea man, keep it coming.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
SPEA said:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/ghostbusters/ghostbusters-screen-co+op--mp-info-322990.php

Got some MORE Ghostbusters news. Sure you can handle it. Vivendi have confirmed to Variety writer Ben Fritz that the games will feature both multiplayer and co-op. Co-op? Be still, my beating heart. Also, up *there*, you'll find a screenshot we managed to get hold of earlier today (click for a bigger version). It's picture tells a thousand words. Most of them being childish squeals. Now if you'll excuse us, we've got to go practice some official, canonical, co-op one-liners. Something about two in the box, and we being fast.

gbstaypuft.jpg
Why did they model a Central Park West type building and not have it across the street from Central Park?

DarkSloth

It's a videogame, not google earth.
Thats suppose to be a pretty old shot. It's probably going to look even better than that.

FiRez

JDSN said:

that pic is from the ZootFly demo not the actual game in development, even the running camera looks like the one used in GoW :lol

LaneDS

So although it's a sequel to Ghostbusters II, all of the released shots suggest flashbacks or something along those lines to the movies... pretty cool.

ckohler said:

He also wrote and directed Groundhog Day! Now that would make an interesting game :D

Penguin

From IGN boards.

Ecto 1 is back, it looks like the one from GB2, with the yellow/black warning stripes, but with less crap on top and it's using the original logo, not the GB2 logo.

- Release is for October 2008.
- You play as the 5th member of the team
- It takes place in 1991 and the city has agreed to fund you but they hire Peck to watch over you to make sure you're not just pulling their strings.
- After you are hired, a new evil hits New York and ghosts start appearing everywhere
- The first mission is to hunt down Slimer in the hotel from the 1st movie, it trains you how to use the proton pack and trap.
- While you play, you hear chatter from the other 4 members over your radio or in person when they're around you.
- The environments are destructible, but don't worry about bill as now that you're funded by the city, they cover the damage.
- You press the d-pad to deploy the trap
- There are different proton beams you can use and some of them act like a fishing mechanic, a pull and tug lasso effect.
- Terminal Reality has developed their own engine to handle the physics, they showed off a demo where they dropped hundreds of ragdoll bodies, boxes, and cars and they all reacted perfectly with no framerate hits.
- They will be able to simulate up to 1,000 objects at once with no framerate hit.
- The entire demo was done on the PS3 to show that they're not having trouble developing for it.
- There is a Slime Gun that shoots out a trail of green slime and you can anchor things to each end of the strand, you can tether ghosts to walls using this for easier trapping.
- One of the levels takes you back to the library from GB1 to re-visit that librarian ghost, or as Ray refers to it as, "the one that got away".
- The Elmer Bernstein score is in tact and while no other songs were confirmed, they have to imagine Ray Parker Jr's song will be included.
- Your AI teammates will perform all sorts of actions without you having to tell them and they can save you by shooting ghosts and deploying traps.
- They said they wanted to keep you as a 5th member of the team so you can hear all the interaction between the other 4 guys with the dialog that Akyroyd and Ramis are writing.
- They want the game to be, "fun, funny, or scary" at all times. In an average hallway, for example, ghosts could smash through a window, pop out from behind a vending machine, or come down from the ceiling.
- Your main hub is of course the Firehouse and you're free to walk around and talk to Janine, play with Egon's new gadgets, perform scientific experiments, etc. And YES you can slide down the firepole!!!!
- The Stay Puft battle is actually EARLY in the game as there's a big reveal bigger evil at play.

chesspieceface said:
He also wrote and directed Groundhog Day! Now that would make an interesting game :D

The premise of "live the same exact day in the same exact world doing the same exact things over and over again with no perceptible effect on your world" has already been done by several dozen mmo's. But I guess none of them have you leveling up your ice sculpting or piano playing skills (except maybe sims online for the latter?).

Das-J

Law of the West
Just finished the GI article... won't spoil it but I think it could be "ok"

I'm a huge fan of the movies but I don't have a lot of faith in TR. Still, the screens look decent and I like where they are taking the gameplay.

Penguin

More info from the IGN boards.
Now I'm confused cuz this is talking about the Wii/Ps2 stuff so I don't know if not included in 360/ps3 version...

"Wii and PS2 owners will also be able to get in on the fun next Halloween with a cartoon-styled version of Ghostbusters. "The storyline from the next-gen version will be carried out in its entirety in our game, but our primary focus is on multiplayer," says Red Fly's Jeff Mills. "So we'll reproduce everything that you do in the game, but then we'll repurposed the maps for various multiplayer things and introduce new maps for multiplayer scenarios as well." The entire single-player campaign can be tackled by up to four players via splitscreen co-op or a Halo 3 style competitive mode. But the largest difference from the XBox 360 and PS3 versions is found in the adversarial modes where players battle it out in a ghosts versus Ghostbusters free for all. Ghosts will be able to phase through certain points in the walls, floors, and ceiling. And many, like Slimer, have the ability to fly. Ghosts can also sneak up behind players and scare them, temporarily reducing their max health. Busters are equipped with a standard array of proton packs and traps and each one has a different special ability. Ray, for example, will be able to spot where ghosts are going to come through the wall."

Falagard

Penguin said:
More info from the IGN boards.
Now I'm confused cuz this is talking about the Wii/Ps2 stuff so I don't know if not included in 360/ps3 version...

Sounds like the Wii/PS2 version is cartoony, while the PS3/Xbox 360 version has multiplayer vs modes, ghosts versus ghostbusters as well as co-op.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Falagard said:
Sounds like the Wii/PS2 version is cartoony, while the PS3/Xbox 360 version has multiplayer vs modes, ghosts versus ghostbusters as well as co-op.
Umm, I think those multiplayer descriptions are about what's in the Wii/PS2 versions. They're the largest differences "from the XBox 360 and PS3 versions."

Lobster

Banned
Falagard said:

?

Sounds like Wii/Ps2 version is dedicated to multiplayer while Ps3/360 is dedicated to the main game but you can plat it in co-op.

"Cartoony" is a good decision for Wii/Ps2. They can use the Mushroom Men engine for the Wii version and downgrade it a lil for Ps2.

I hope we can do Ghosts Vs Humans in multiplayer. That would be so awesome.

J-Rzez

I'm hyped for this. Now all I need is a new is a new GI JOE game with crazy graphics done like the Arcade Game, and I'll be happy with my 80/90's resurrected memories.

I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach.

....and by that, I mean I simply don't care about a franchise game that will probably get terrible reviews, sell decently, and make a publisher happy. If it gets good scores from reviews then I'll turn my head, but I won't be holding my breath at all.

Top Bottom