• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: Nintendo Switch sells 80,000 in the UK in its opening weekend

faridmon

I wann say the shipment was 100k but the system seems to be sold out nearly everywhere.

90k shipment? 85k?

It's a bit underwhelming to be honest if this is both the successor of wiiu and 3ds.

Its not an underwhlming number especially the fact that it was a successor to the WiiU

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
And this is with artificial scarcity. Now imagine Nintendo ship more Switch units

SCB3

Worth noting that from a marketing perspective, Zelda was a strange choice to headline launch. Unlike Pokemon or Mario, it has not had a recent mobile release to increase relevance outside existing owners of Nintendo hardware. The last mainline entry was released on a dead system to mixed reactions(Skyward Sword) so the last significant release was 11 years ago. Even on 3DS, it has seen two remakes of almost two decade old games, and sequel/partial remake of a 25 year old one. Of Nintendo's big three brands, it has by far the weakest mind-share.

Combined with how utterly Nintendo's mindshare vanished during the last six years due to the WiiU, and the fact that the UK is probably the weakest market for the 3DS, this is quite decent.

The NES Classic release has worked wonder for Nintendo's marketing, it also included the first 2 Zelda games as well

LordKano

Pokemon games don't get sequels every year. That is the reason why COD is a juggernaut in the industry: it sells immense amounts every year continuously.

In 12 years, COD sold 250 million copies. It will overtake Pokemon soon in franchise sales even with its decline and Pokemon has nearly 20 years on it.
Actually, I don't even think GTA and FIFA can keep up with COD.

Pokémon get sequels pretty much every year since 2008.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Pokemon games don't get sequels every year. That is the reason why COD is a juggernaut in the industry: it sells immense amounts every year continuously.

In 12 years, COD sold 250 million copies. It will overtake Pokemon soon in franchise sales even with its decline and Pokemon has nearly 20 years on it.

They pretty much do yes. What do you think 3rd versions are. Combine go with Sun and Moon last year and you can't remotely say CoD is a bigger franchise than Pokémon currently.

It's like not even close.

Usobuko

Banned
Its not an underwhlming number especially the fact that it was a successor to the WiiU

If this is only succeeding wiiu, then I would agree with you.

If Nintendo intend for it to be hybrid for its handheld audience too, then it really is a bit underwhelming.

T-Rex.

Banned
I actually think this is pretty good when you factor in Brexit and the weak(er) £. I was expecting it to do much worse than this.

Floody

They are both of a comparable size really, but the big difference is CoD's on the decline and Pokemon is only getting bigger, I'd even go as far as to say it's more likely to surpass Mario before CoD surpasses it. It was also a yearly franchise (not sequels every year, but a new game that'd sell 10m-15m every year) for a good few years, taking a year break every now and then (usually when making a new generation) there's no reason that wouldn't happen again.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's underwhelming if you thought this would be the 3ds successor

It's much more expensive than the 3DS so really not. it was never going to beat the 3DS outside of extremely exceptional circumstances. Revenue wise it actually should be extremely similar.

NHale

How come this didn't happen at Xmas with Sun and Moon?
3DS had a bumper holiday 2016 on the back of Pokemon.

You think Pokémon games have been selling +10m per gen without the mainstream market? That's not how it works... Pokémon titles aren't only purchased by hardcore Nintendo or Pokémon fans.

No. What I tried to say is that I don't believe Regular Joe's will buy a Nintendo Switch (at the current price) because of Pokemon. Pokemon fans certainly will but my point was I don't believe Switch sales would skyrocket if they had a Pokemon ready to launch. They had one of the best reviewed games of all time at launch, and it sold well. I doubt Pokemon would have made Switch launch sales "skyrocket".

Also wasn't the 3DS last holiday around half the price of the Switch? In my opinion the price of entrance is too high right now to reach the bulk of the mainstream audience that oftens buys the Pokemon games.

SMD

Worth noting that from a marketing perspective, Zelda was a strange choice to headline launch. Unlike Pokemon or Mario, it has not had a recent mobile release to increase relevance outside existing owners of Nintendo hardware. The last mainline entry was released on a dead system to mixed reactions(Skyward Sword) so the last significant release was 11 years ago. Even on 3DS, it has seen two remakes of almost two decade old games, and sequel/partial remake of a 25 year old one. Of Nintendo's big three brands, it has by far the weakest mind-share.

Combined with how utterly Nintendo's mindshare vanished during the last six years due to the WiiU, and the fact that the UK is probably the weakest market for the 3DS, this is quite decent.

This hand waving is really odd. Skyward Sword might not have been groundbreaking but it did numbers and OoT3D shifted 3DS machines up until SM3DL and MK7 came out. MM3D was one of the most requested remakes in a long time.

Breath of the Wild has been a long time coming and the build up plus remakes only stoked demand. Word of mouth of its quality will probably see loads on the fence take the plunge between now and Splatwon.

Guess Who

Banned

Zelda's never been Nintendo's best-selling franchise, but it's almost certainly its most well-respected, particularly among the "core gamer" audience. In addition to Ocarina of Time still topping "best games of all time" lists twenty years later, even an unloved entry like Skyward Sword still got a 93 on Metacritic and sold 3.5 million units in its first month on a "dead" system.

Even if it doesn't have the mainstream appeal of a Mario or Pokemon game in terms of sheer unit sales, it gets them tremendous word of mouth. The Zelda brand has huge prestige, and Breath of the Wild has done a tremendous job advancing it. If Sun & Moon had been Switch launch titles, sure, they would've sold very well and people would be enjoying them. But they'd just be new, good Pokemon games. Right now the story people outside of gaming are hearing about the Switch is that it's home to one of the greatest and highest-reviewed games ever made.

80,000 has to been seen as a success for Nintendo in the UK because I can't for the life of me find a Switch console available online or for collection anywhere near me. It stands that if there were more consoles out they would have sold more. I remember the Wii U was readily available since launch; 40,000 was nowhere near the number of consoles available.

I'm in central Scotland and every supermarket has loads of them on shelf.

Calm Mind

Someone will spin this as a negative against the Nintendo Switch because it's the lowest selling console sold in the UK since the the Xbox 360. Wait for it...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Someone will spin this as a negative against the Nintendo Switch because it's the lowest selling console sold in the UK since the the Xbox 360. Wait for it...

But it's not that's the Wii U and the X360 was a success so it's pretty hard to spin it that way.

Guess Who

Banned
The problem with judging the success of this kind of launch by unit sales is that it's very likely the launches are supply-constrained. It's no secret the Switch is very hard to find, which usually implies demand is outstripping supply, and that they could've sold more if they'd had more to sell. If Nintendo sold 80,000 because they only made 80,000 to sell, that's very different than if they sold 80,000 but there's 50,000 more units just sitting unsold on shelves.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The problem with judging the success of this kind of launch by unit sales is that it's very likely the launches are supply-constrained. It's no secret the Switch is very hard to find, which usually implies demand is outstripping supply, and that they could've sold more if they'd had more to sell. If Nintendo sold 80,000 because they only made 80,000 to sell, that's very different than if they sold 80,000 but there's 50,000 more units just sitting unsold on shelves.

It doesn't seem be sold out but it's alright. The real test will be the weeks following to see a rough idea of trajectory and many substantial changes need to be made.

Bustanen

tumblr_nqj8wxph2u1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Mario would've doubled the sales easily.

Zelda's never been Nintendo's best-selling franchise, but it's almost certainly its most well-respected, particularly among the "core gamer" audience. In addition to Ocarina of Time still topping "best games of all time" lists twenty years later, even an unloved entry like Skyward Sword still got a 93 on Metacritic and sold 3.5 million units in its first month on a "dead" system.

Even if it doesn't have the mainstream appeal of a Mario or Pokemon game in terms of sheer unit sales, it gets them tremendous word of mouth. The Zelda brand has huge prestige, and Breath of the Wild has done a tremendous job advancing it. If Sun & Moon had been Switch launch titles, sure, they would've sold very well and people would be enjoying them. But they'd just be new, good Pokemon games. Right now the story people outside of gaming are hearing about the Switch is that it's home to one of the greatest and highest-reviewed games ever made.

Oh I have not doubt Zelda is an excellent game, and better than recent Mario outings. But if the goal was to break into the mindshare market dominated by Sony and Microsoft, an HD port of Pokemon Sun/Moon would have done wonders.

I think people mistake the number of hardcore fans. Most people I talked to who are not hardcore fans new about Horizon because it had Robot Dinosaurs with Laser Beams which you could fight. That might sound superficial, but it is something that sticks in mind. Hardcore fans can focus on the female lead, the plot, the game-play. But hundreds of thousands if not millions more know it is that recent game with robot dinosaurs. It would be selling incredibly well if it had reviewed 10 points less on metacritic, see Ark: Survival Evolved.

MisterP

Banned
It's a decent start for a company whose reputation has taken a battering over the years. Expecting next weeks figures to be drastically lower though :(

deleted

Cause wiiu sold like hotcakes with it right? And the worst part is that is the same verdion with a few changes.

Nope, but for the system it makes a huge difference if the game launches a month after system launch or 1.5 years later. To build momentum, it's good to have heavy hitters soon and many. Mario Kart can make a lot of difference, specially on a system like this and coming out right after Zelda and probably not long before Splatoon and (the rather unproven) Arms.

The sales are okay I guess. It's really important to get the ball rolling with somewhat steady sales and not letting them crumble to nothing like the Wii U sales.

sirap

I'm happy it sold more than the Wii U. Let's hope positive word of mouth and quality indie releases gets the momentum rolling for Splatoon 2 and Mario.

Waji

Good start. Want to see Japan and France though.

I wonder what France was like considering they seem to be a bigger fan of Nintendo than the UK.
Absolutely no idea but coming back from work a while ago I saw a big ad board with Switch + MK8 deluxe.
Never saw anything game-related in this area yet.

noshten

I wonder what France was like considering they seem to be a bigger fan of Nintendo than the UK.

Nintendo France was expecting around 100k opening for the Switch:

French Manager M. Lavoué shared sales objectives with Gamekult.com: http://www.gamekult.com/actu/nintendo-france-on-change-de-dimension-A173593.html

* Over 800K Switch this year (same as lifetime Wii U sales).
* Including 95K day one, with 100% Zelda conversion rate.
* Preorders are aligned with Wii figures.

New details from the same M.Lavoué, speaking to Gameblog.fr: http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_1049_rencontre-avec-nintendo-france-avec-la-switch-nous-voulons-f

* Switch preorders are a bit stronger than Wii ones.
* Wii did 95k during its first week on the french market.
* Wii U did 49k and PS4 90k
* 1,2 Switch has a 25% attach rate on preorders, vs Zelda close to 100%

Litri

Not an incredible launch but considering the time of the year and that it's closer to the 3DS than the Wii U, I think it was a very good launch. The question is how good it did in German and, above all, France.

Roufianos

All these debates about the opening weekend aren't even all that important. Obviously there's a sizeable number of core gamers who were gonna snap this up at launch.

I'm more interested to see how it does in the weeks that follow. Just look at X1, it sold a shit tonne at launch followed up by awful in January.

3DS is another example.

Top Bottom